• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapet318

Banned
Nintendo has to announce this thing, like, yesterday. All of these rumors are going to damage the image of the NX whether they're true or not.

If there is any truth the motorised stick rumour, which.. eh IDK how that would work.. but it could give you something that behaves like an NGP dpad or an analog stick depending on what was appropriate.

Rosti isn't an insider I thought? He just liked to dig through patents and online fillings.

He has been teasing some knowledge recently but backed down on sharing anything. I trust him enough not to troll people (he had a good enough opportunity when he found the security hole that let him freely edit the E3 exhibitor site)

beril

If it's the handheld, it's dead on arrival.
What's the appeal in this ?
This is the very definition of gimmick.

It's not really a gimmick. It's maximizing the screen space on a small and ergonomic form factor. There might be fewer buttons than one would like but that's hardly a gimmick.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
Afaik, he doesn't ,but knows devs/people. He is trustable.

Ah, okay.

--

I've got an idea. What if they use transparent dome buttons on top of the display?

So if they want to have buttons they just place the button image there, and if they don't they simply leave it out and it's still transparent.

That's really not Rosti's style tbh
I normally wouldn't think so, but he does seem to do weird things that I can only imagine are designed to get reactions. Recently he made a mock Nintendo Direct logo and a document containing a statement by Nintendo President Kimishima. Even though he mentions that they're not real in his post, why in the world do you make a mock statement from the president? Who does that? So people do a double take at your post?

Edit: Not saying it's real or fake; I'm just not a fan of how he does things. This latest development can mean a couple different things, and I wonder if he'll be back to clarify what he meant.

As for the actual topic at hand, I hope it's not real, but who knows how it'll turn out in the end.

theecakee

Nintendo really does do whatever they want and everybody else can fuck off.

This just seems like them ignoring almost all of the criticisms of the Wii U and decided to give it another go.

Agreed.

I do like uniqueness and creativity, but there is a point where they can go too far from the norm and what we like.

Yeah. I buy nintendo stuff to play zelda games (and also mario/smash). My thoughts are that just looking at it, it doesn't look like it'll work for mario/zelda/smash - but that's because all I have is one picture. The picture makes it look like it'll suck for my 3 favorite nintendo franchises.

What you say is true, though - nintendo wouldn't release a system that makes it hard to play their core franchises, I don't think. Hopefully the reveal will make it clear that it's all good.
The Wii was great for Mario and Zelda and the gamepad, while not beneficial to Mario it was also not detrimental and it's wonderful for Zelda. I'd assume there would be a classic controller just like their previous two systems for Smash and local multiplayer since even if it's cheaper than we imagine it'll still be pretty expensive

Peltz

Rösti;198593439 said:
2e6465736f707865206e65656220544f4e206576616820646c756f68732073696854
Why is everyone freaking out about this gibberish post? Explain it to me as if I'm stupid with no knowledge of it.

E-phonk

Banned
I normally wouldn't think so, but he does seem to do weird things that I can only imagine are designed to get reactions. Recently he made a mock Nintendo Direct logo and a document containing a statement by Nintendo President Kimishima. Even though he mentions that they're not real in his post, why in the world do you make a mock statement from the president? Who does that? So people do a double take at your post?

That was just to show what people could expect from a nintendo nx announcement. It was obvious a joke, strange some people were confused by it.

Why is everyone freaking out about this gibberish post? Explain it to me as if I'm stupid with no knowledge of it.

Try a hex > ascii converter

Where are we right now in the 5 stages of grief?

I'm at excitement

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If that thing has the grips of the patent, I'm fine with it.

SorrySeahawksIwaswrong-390x285.jpg

Your hat eating ratio is slowly rising!

Ah, okay.

--

I've got an idea. What if they use transparent dome buttons on top of the display?

So if they want to have buttons they just place the button image there, and if they don't they simply leave it out and it's still transparent.

This is what I was thinking as well. Make them malleable enough to push down (like the switches in an NES controller) and it'd probably work alright as 'physical' buttons.

kris.

Banned
i refuse to believe that this is real. i refuse to believe that the higher-ups at Nintendo, after seeing how horribly the Wii U failed, would try something like this. nah, son.
it's probably real :(

Hoo-doo

Banned
It actually does. It gives devs or consumers the ability to move the buttons wherever they wish, which gives freedom when it comes to hand placement/etc. It also opens up the system for loads of mobile games, which is what we knew Nintendo wanted to do.

Being able to move buttons is not a good tradeoff versus losing the crucial physical buttons. It's in the truest sense of the word, a gimmick.
The full-screen display serves no real function, it's done only because it's possible. It's showy and unique without regard to it's actual usefulness.

And if Nintendo thinks it can chase the mobile crowd with a dedicated handheld and 40$ games, they are even more clueless than anyone could have imagined.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's hex for ".desopxe neeb TON evah dluohs sihT"

In the future, we'd like people to not make their posts like this though. It's obnoxious and not adding anything that wouldn't be gained by using normal writing.

DNAbro

Rosti is in the know when it comes to this kind of thing. At least somewhat.

People have translated it, and makes it seem like it's real.

georly

The Wii was great for Mario and Zelda and the gamepad, while not beneficial to Mario it was also not detrimental and it's wonderful for Zelda. I'd assume there would be a classic controller just like their previous two systems for Smash and local multiplayer since even if it's cheaper than we imagine it'll still be pretty expensive

I'm still assuming this is the handheld, and, if you want (err, if the devs want), you can also use it as the nx console controller (like how you could use the 3DS as a controller for smash U if you wanted).

It's not really a gimmick. It's maximizing the screen space on a small and ergonomic form factor. There might be fewer buttons than one would like but that's hardly a gimmick.

Not one. Everyone. I don't see the point. This is a gimmick. What's the appeal in "There's less buttons but you can move them anywhere you want ! "
Just give people buttons, they'll do fine.

Also from the look of it, the button placement is just anti ergonomic.

Sorry but as I said before NONE of you know how this feels, reacts or anything!

Im so glad it is Real at least in a prototype because it means Nintendo are not going the run of the mill way and continue to innovate and experiment.

Now really carnt wait for full reveal!

I also think this could be a mobile but join up with the home console.

Or this is the unit and works on Home system

I feel like you guys are pulling an Ice, and overreacting, that's my job.

I think it looks fine, but either way to call it ugly, wut.

The Dreamcast, Virtual Boy, and Steam Controller are all ugly. (Being comfortable has nothing to do with how it looks)

I think this looks sleek, but hey what do I know.

That was just to show what people could expect from a nintendo nx announcement. It was obvious a joke, strange some people were confused by it.

Try a hex > ascii converter
I feel like any other person would have just shown a link to the Wii announcement. In fact, that's what someone else did when talking about the same thing. He went out of his way to make an image of the thing and post it here. I guess he really wanted to show people what a possible announcement could be like, but it's unusual behavior to me at least.

Puru

Doesn't look like something i'd bother with or not buy used extremely cheap for a few games.
To be honest it makes me feel even worse about sony getting out of the handheld market right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom