• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 getting Necromancer (paid), remaking Diablo 1 in D3, new zones (free)

Dark_castle

This is disappointing. I was genuinely hoping for something more substantial, like an expansion pack for D3, D4 teaser, D1/D2 HD remaster or a major content patch for D3 that address some core issues with the game, or maybe even an entirely new Diablo spin-off game of some sort.

Apparently there will be some QoL changes including armory swap. That's cool I guess.

oneils

Two possibilities....

1. You are a cheater.

or

2. you have 3 diablo 3 playing friends.

Because anything other than playing this game with those 2 options is a complete fucking shit show of epic proportions and Blizzard should be ashamed.

I'm neither of those and love Diablo 3 on PS4. What exactly is the shit show you are talking about?

New002

Two possibilities....

1. You are a cheater.

or

Because anything other than playing this game with those 2 options is a complete fucking shit show of epic proportions and Blizzard should be ashamed.

Saw this quoted on the last page. It wasn't directed at me, but...

464 hours on console D here. I estimate 95% was solo, maybe more. Not to mention 300 or so on PC...maybe 75% solo or so. No cheats.

The original Diablo definitely went with traditional Gothic Horror, and it did it well. But I can't recall Diablo II making feel scared or giving me a sense of dread.
Every act boss had me crapping my pants outside of Baal, who was a failure.

Andariel? Who didn't run around that pit for half an hour trying to pelt her at 1 health from poison while she screams at you.

Duriel? Who didn't die before the screen even loaded? Terrifying.

Mephisto? If you weren't prepared and had bare resistances (because until then, who cares about magic damage?), you would get nuked for 3/4 of your health out of nowhere.

Diablo? The LIGHTNING BREATH? The terror of De Seis putting curses on you?

The whole game was incredible from start to finish, but those bosses made me sweat every time I fought them. Diablo was a work of art, and I agree that it is atmospherically superior to Diablo II, but Diablo II still captured that feeling on numerous occasions.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh you have to pay for it? That sucks.

Rizzi

Is there even a way to get Diablo 2 running nice with Windows 10? Last time I tried it refused to work.

phinious

Man. I did not expect this response. I think the D1 thing looks fun for something FREE on a game that has been out for years.

I also want to play the necromancer, so am excited for that as well.

The negative attitude boggles my mind. Why is everyone so negative about it?

Do people really expect free expansions and stuff?

Man. I did not expect this response. I think the D1 thing looks fun for something FREE on a game that has been out for years.

You better believe if Blizzard thought people would pay for this garbage that they'd be charging for it.

Peachpies

No they expected a paid expansion like Reaper of Souls or free support like Blizzard games tend to get. There hasn't been any new content for Diablo for quite some time so when all you get is a paid character and some throwback bosses of course people will be upset.

phinious

No they expected a paid expansion like Reaper of Souls or free support like Blizzard games tend to get. There hasn't been any new content for Diablo for quite some time so when all you get is a paid character and some throwback bosses of course people will be upset.

Yeah I can accept hope for a bigger expansion, but not hate for other things. I mean, when was the last Warcraft 3 expansion or content patch? Where is the outrage? Seems like irrational rage to me.

duckroll

So I read up on the panel details and....

- The Diablo 1 thing is an Anniversary Event. It's not just a rift, but they're doing neat stuff like locking the camera more, low-res graphic filter, old school UI, 8-directional movement, and so on. But... the kicker is that it's a time limited event for Jan 2017, and they will bring it back "every Jan"... like the Overwatch seasonal events. Lol. So it's free, but it's only available one month out of 12 every year! Yay online only service gaming!

- The Necromancer is not going to be available until the second half of 2017. Wow. That's a long time for a paid DLC character addition on a game that's aging rapidly and has no new expansion in sight.

- The Diablo 1 thing is an Anniversary Event. It's not just a rift, but they're doing neat stuff like locking the camera more, low-res graphic filter, old school UI, 8-directional movement, and so on. But... the kicker is that it's a time limited event for Jan 2017, and they will bring it back "every Jan"... like the Overwatch seasonal events. Lol. So it's free, but it's only available one month out of 12 every year! Yay online only service gaming!

- The Necromancer is not going to be available until the second half of 2017. Wow. That's a long time for a paid DLC character addition on a game that's aging rapidly and has no new expansion in sight.

What a shitty way to celebrate that 20th anniversary. Maybe if auction house had worked we'd get more stuff like other Blizzard microtransaction games.

Instro

I think this would have gone over better if they had done a small D4 tease. This really feels like a holdover until the next game is ready, which is fine, but I think their diehard fans would have taken it better if there were a more clear future ahead.

Novocaine

Well that's dumb.

Just keep it in the game for good.

In any case I'll still be whipping my copy out to give it a try.

duckroll

I think this would have gone over better if they had done a small D4 tease. This really feels like a holdover until the next game is ready, which is fine, but I think their diehard fans would have taken it better if there were a more clear future ahead.

I don't think it would. The problem isn't really how they are announcing this, it's how barren their near future content output is going to be. At this point nothing will change that. Imagine if they teased Diablo 4 and formally announced that it was coming. All Diablo fans will be looking forward to that in particular. Now how does a paid DLC for the Necromancer in Diablo 3 in Q3/Q4 2017 sound? Would you be more or less excited for Diablo 3 content?

No. People had their wallets ready for a new expansion, an HD remake or D4 news.

Gator86

So it's basically a one time event. There's no way I'm booting Diablo 4 up again in fucking January 2018 for a rift where my movement is shittier.

And I didn't realize the Necromancer was so far off. Why announce it at all here? I love blizzard's game. It's actually their support that's making me like them less now, which I never thought I would say.

Instro

I don't think it would. The problem isn't really how they are announcing this, it's how barren their near future content output is going to be. At this point nothing will change that. Imagine if they teased Diablo 4 and formally announced that it was coming. All Diablo fans will be looking forward to that in particular. Now how does a paid DLC for the Necromancer in Diablo 3 in Q3/Q4 2017 sound? Would you be more or less excited for Diablo 3 content?

I don't really see the downside. At least by doing something that would generate positive feelings towards the series/company, there is a chance that it translates to a better impression of Necromancer DLC. I don't think releasing a tease for D4 would negatively impact DLC sales significantly.

The future of D3 was always going to be barren given the people who've left and the nature of the job postings we've seen over the last year. Certainly a true expansion has been off the table for a while.

barit

I'm in! Hope Blizz provides a Pro patch for some nice downsampling. Then this will be the first time that a former PC title is superior on a console now lol (4 Coop + Downsampling + stable 60fps). And I bet Necro pack will only cost around 20 bucks.

Cartho

This really does feel like that FFVII HD troll all over again. All the little D4 hints, the tweets about "Blizzcon is going to be interesting this year" from the Diablo account.

Then we got this rubbish.
c29.gif

KarmaCow

Wow Necromancer is more than half a year out? I thought that was early 2017, they can't seriously think having the game run on fumes until then is the way to go. New zones are neat but in the current state of the game, they're just functionally different skins for levels in rifts.

Teknoman

Yeah, that much is confirmed.

Well at least thats something. Would've been awesome if it worked as a retro expansion.

EDIT: Yeah watching the reveal, did confirm it so thats cool. I dunno how this pixel filter is gonna work though, since you cant really make d3 look like d1 with a filter.

Rymuth

Morning, GAF. I had the worst dream yesterday... I dreamt that--

Oh...

Purkake4

Banned
Morning, GAF. I had the worst dream yesterday... I dreamt that--

Oh...
Have you ever had a dream, Rymuth, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Maximo

Hahaha a timed event haha yeah no fuck off Blizzard.

Rymuth

Have you ever had a dream, Rymuth, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?
Well, yesterday, the dream was that the rift is a permanent addition to the game.

Now I wake to find it's a seasonal thing. What else will I wake up to tomorrow?

hqdefault.jpg

Blizz/Onslaught: The dream is dead

Me/Hulk: X_X

Shaanyboi

Banned
I still have to get around to playing D3 on PS4. Never made it far on PC, but co-op should be fun with my girlfriend. I'll hold off until the Necromancer is available, I guess.

This probably wouldn't have been a letdown if they didn't tease it so hard. The new game mode is a one month novelty and most people don't care about paying to play a new character in 6 months.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Alright I think I've got it: they would need a REAL NECROMANCER TO BRING DIABLO 3 BACK FROM THE DEAD heyooo.

Krabboss

Oh wow, I can't believe the necromancer is going to take until late next year to come out. What have they been doing all this time? The patches have been mostly number tweaks for a while now.

Wait, people were actually disappointed by the diablo 3 presentation?

I thought it was great, not only they listened to fans and added the best class in the franchise to D3, but they are also adding new areas to the game, which shows they intend to keep adding content to game.

Anyone who expected a Diablo 4 announcment was just deluded himself.

Zushin

I thought it was great, not only they listened to fans and added the best class in the franchise to D3, but they are also adding new areas to the game, which shows they intend to keep adding content to game.

If they listened to fans we'd be celebrating a Diablo 2 HD announcement or an expansion for D3. This stop gap measure is poor imo.

Dunfisch

Necromancer in the second half of 2017. For a game which, in the meantime, is slated to have a timed event which only runs one month and 2 new zones. We know how "zones" turn out. Maybe a line of miniquests and the one or odd updated legendary. Oh, the new zones might appear as rift layouts. Yay.

Worse since second half of 2017 could mean anything. October? Here you go, enjoy that drought.

Come on Blizzard, don't be like that. You pretty much cement that you gutted whatever was supposed to be the 2nd expansion and distributed it over patches and seasons. If you have something really meaty in the works, don't cockblock me like this. I won't bite if you reveal D4.

martino

now is time to get and compile data again it seems.
and i least give up on the limited duration of diablo idea...

John_B

This must mean that the Diablo team has abandoned whatever expansion they were working on and is now entirely focused on a new game.

If they need a continuous revenue model to keep updating the game over many years then I would definitely prefer something like paying for classes.

A game company announcing a game in their franchise at their gaming event is delusional?

Right.

Two possibilities....

1. You are a cheater.

or

lmao what is this bad, bad post

console D3 rules. the PS4 version is the best version of the game

anothertech

So we're getting a new seasonal Event in January with a filter to make graphics look worse, then sometime in late 2017 we get a reskinned Witch Doctor eh?

Wonder why they trolled us with D4 bs. A little upsetting at least for me.

Top Bottom