• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 getting Necromancer (paid), remaking Diablo 1 in D3, new zones (free)

Syf

Banned
This more I think about it the more this kind of feels like the definition of "life support" content.
Yeah I think that's exactly what it is. Just give people something to tide them over until whatever new Diablo project they've been hiring for is ready to show.

LCGeek

formerly sane
These are nice additions, but I hate that they are not doing something to target some major issues I and many others have with the game, mainly the itemization and endgame paragon level grind.

1) Itemization has potential, but class sets ruined it. Fucking 6 piece sets rule over nearly everything. They taken a first step in the LoN sets that lets player use other non-sets to not completely suck, but in reality, LoN is very niche and doesn't remotely fair as well as just putting on 6 piece class sets. As a result, build diversity is limited.

2) Paragon level grind is BORING, and yet OP. Endgame becomes a matter of grinding for EXP instead of farming truly rare, epic loot, theorycrafting fun and yet effective unique builds.

3) Why is solo play is much worse than group play? I'm okay that group play offers the advantage of class buffs and roles of dps/zdps, but it seems like the exp and monster health/damage are all scaled to be much more in favor of group games.

4) And with that, only 4 char per party, meaning only select 2 or 3 classes get to be in the metagame, others are just gonna have to suck it. The number needs to be raised.

5) Bring trading and actual PK back for more things to do in endgame.

1. A-fucking-men to that one.

2. Caldesanns is a lot more interesting and the boost is more immediate if you do it at the right time. With the current meta you can hit GR100 with only 4 gems don't even need to be mega high, a witch doctor did it with two 90s and two 60s caldesanns and the current firebats brokeness. Seriously though thats your end game, are you on non season? I spend more time rifting or doing bounties for crafting materials for cube. You earn so much xp from high grs and abusing xp pool on close it's not hard to earn xp sans you being 1200 paragons when it starts to slow down it's a waste of time not to being another task while you climb paragons. You must have some amazing rolls and caldesanns to just be working on xp. At that point I would be bored too.

3. It's not anymore they did various changes a season or two ago so that those difference don't hurt you. Soloing is now easier vs bigger groups considering the health nerf when you lack players. Still doesn't mean much with a healing monk as a partner for pushing. There are still group bonuses that override the health factor.

4. While total top of the leaderboards becomes that you can still find in the 1000 teams with unique class each in each slot. This season while 2 monks, barb, and witch doctor are easily optimal. Just like last season you can also roll with a wiz in that group and still go far. Unlike other seasons the last two seasons have actually allowed for variety quite far in to the GRs. Just check if you don't believe me. That makes me happy with the right friends we can always switch up gear and easily push. Outside of a crusader this just isn't true.

5. We both know these are never coming back as they should. Brawling is such a shit experience I will just leave my thoughts on it at that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How can they even call it a remake? It's just a shit rift that tells part of the story, and it only lasts for a month. And putting the Necro behind a paywall makes me sick, you know they'll justify the high price tag (because lets face it, it's Blizzard and they never price reasonably) by adding bank tabs and other fluff.

Fou-Lu

At this rate, Diablo 4 is going to set before Diablo 1 and will ruin the rest of the game lore with ridiculous retcons

The Darkening of Tristram in Diablo 3 is actually going to be a time travel event that fucks up the timeline. We'll get New Diablo 2, which takes place in the fucked up timeline after The Darkening of Tristram.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
If D4 just retcons the whole of D3 that would make me really happy and while you're at it retcon WoW too. I want the RTS finale with Arthas :(.

Corsick

I really, really like how menacing the Blood Golem looks:

2016-nov-5-012.jpg

jotun?

And putting the Necro behind a paywall makes me sick, you know they'll justify the high price tag (because lets face it, it's Blizzard and they never price reasonably) by adding bank tabs and other fluff.
0% shocked if it includes hearthstone card backs and a WoW pet for value

Uthred

The clamour for D2 HD feels like one of those loud minority things, it seems extremely questionable that it would be in any way profitable.

It's amusing that the anniversary content apparently wont be hitting till January.

If D4 just retcons the whole of D3 that would make me really happy and while you're at it retcon WoW too. I want the RTS finale with Arthas :(.

I'd certainly be happy to see D3's story retconned out of existence. The whole nephilim thing is such bollocks, you're not a big damn hero any more you're some shitty mary sue super being.

These are nice additions, but I hate that they are not doing something to target some major issues I and many others have with the game, mainly the itemization and endgame paragon level grind.

1) Itemization has potential, but class sets ruined it. Fucking 6 piece sets rule over nearly everything. They taken a first step in the LoN sets that lets player use other non-sets to not completely suck, but in reality, LoN is very niche and doesn't remotely fair as well as just putting on 6 piece class sets. As a result, build diversity is limited.

LoN is the top build for some classes and certainly competitive with others, a lot of builds rely on more than just the sets both equipped and in the cube. While build diversity could be better its in a fairly decent place.

2) Paragon level grind is BORING, and yet OP. Endgame becomes a matter of grinding for EXP instead of farming truly rare, epic loot, theorycrafting fun and yet effective unique builds.

What counts as "truly rare" and whats to stop you theorycrafting fun and effective builds? Paragon grind is only really "needed" if you're chasing leaderboards.

3) Why is solo play is much worse than group play? I'm okay that group play offers the advantage of class buffs and roles of dps/zdps, but it seems like the exp and monster health/damage are all scaled to be much more in favor of group games.

The rates got adjusted a while ago and with massacre bonuses theyre fairly close these days. Certainly nowhere near as big a gap as there was a few patches ago

4) And with that, only 4 char per party, meaning only select 2 or 3 classes get to be in the metagame, others are just gonna have to suck it. The number needs to be raised.

5) Bring trading and actual PK back for more things to do in endgame.

Trading feels like it sidesteps the main point of a loot based game to a certain extent and "actual PK" is something I outright loathe so I've zero interest in either of those. I also dont think trading really counts as "something to do".

Having a bigger party wont make any difference to which classes are in the meta, only balance changes are going to meaningfully affect that.

And putting the Necro behind a paywall makes me sick

So you think it should be free?

Lanrutcon

The clamour for D2 HD feels like one of those loud minority things, it seems extremely questionable that it would be in any way profitable.

Nah.

The amount of work it would take to add more resolution options and tweak the game to work with them is minor at best. Hell, third party mods already do that shit for you.

Then you just bet on the power of nostalgia (hell, throw in a some reskinned WoW pet or something just to rope in some of the younger folk) and bam. You'd recoup your development costs before the press release had even settled.

Now, a the profitability of a full remake...that's much more debatable..

bengraven

Sounded pretty cool until i entered this thread. Thanks for keeping me humble, gamers. I was almost excited and happy for something for once.

Vanadium

Console seasons sounds good. But it doesn't address the level 600+ Paragon I ended up with after a joining a public game on PS4.

Matthew23

Nah.

The amount of work it would take to add more resolution options and tweak the game to work with them is minor at best. Hell, third party mods already do that shit for you.

Then you just bet on the power of nostalgia (hell, throw in a some reskinned WoW pet or something just to rope in some of the younger folk) and bam. You'd recoup your development costs before the press release had even settled.

Now, a the profitability of a full remake...that's much more debatable..

Yes, and Blizzard has already said they are restoring D2 to it's former glory to be compatible with modern hardware. One would assume modern HD monitors would be included. I don't think they will do much beyond add resolutions options and some minor fixes. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a free patch.

Console seasons sounds good. But it doesn't address the level 600+ Paragon I ended up with after a joining a public game on PS4.
One solution is to re download your save from blizz(if you did the PS3 transfer thing). Or just delete the data and start over.
I've done that maybe 5 or 6 times just to start over.

J-Skee

It's probably already been answered, but is the console version of Diablo 3 getting the Necromancer & remake of the first game?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
It's probably already been answered, but is the console version of Diablo 3 getting the Necromancer & remake of the first game?

Yes.

So I read up on the panel details and....

- The Diablo 1 thing is an Anniversary Event. It's not just a rift, but they're doing neat stuff like locking the camera more, low-res graphic filter, old school UI, 8-directional movement, and so on. But... the kicker is that it's a time limited event for Jan 2017, and they will bring it back "every Jan"... like the Overwatch seasonal events. Lol. So it's free, but it's only available one month out of 12 every year! Yay online only service gaming!

- The Necromancer is not going to be available until the second half of 2017. Wow. That's a long time for a paid DLC character addition on a game that's aging rapidly and has no new expansion in sight.

Good lord...are they serious??? I want it but waiting that long after an announcement for a DLC of a damn character? That's insane

Vanadium

One solution is to re download your save from blizz(if you did the PS3 transfer thing). Or just delete the data and start over.
I've done that maybe 5 or 6 times just to start over.

I already have the Platinum so might as well when the patch rolls around. Thanks!

ParityBit

So I was thinking of picking up Diablo 3 again. It has been so long since I played, but I got a wierrd itch to play.

Why does it feel so daunting? I do have a bunch of 70's but do not remember anything. Heck, I am not sure what version of the game I have.

Any suggestions to "starting over?" Should I make a brand new toon and roll with it?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Did I miss this event? I even started a new character and cleared Act 1 hoping the little pentagram would show up on the map, but there's been nothing!

Top Bottom