• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 getting Necromancer (paid), remaking Diablo 1 in D3, new zones (free)

The only way this would make me interested at all is if they're doing a huge overhaul some of the systems in D3 like itemization.

Which they won't because after this they're probably not doing any major content updates for it ever again.

It really is most likely just cut from the second d3 expansion and they're now focusing on either D4 or D2 HD hopefully.

Firemind

The only way this would make me interested at all is if they're doing a huge overhaul some of the systems in D3 like itemization.

Which they won't because after this they're probably not doing any major content updates for it ever again.

It really is most likely just cut from the second d3 expansion and they're now focusing on either D4 or D2 HD hopefully.
Well, their itemization strategy is basically to double the numbers every major patch, which their engine can't handle ironically.

Meh, don't feel like going through again just for a new class.

D1 in D3 engine could be interesting though. Hope this is a precursor to D2 remaster.

I love how the expectations a mix of the following:
- Diablo 2 Remaster
- Diablo 3 Expansion 2
- Diablo 4

And what we got instead was:
- Diablo 1 Remake in Diablo 3
- Diablo 3 Paid DLC Character Pack

It's not even a remake either. Sounds like a rift. Hilariously disappointing news on the diablo front

According to Diablofans

1. The Anniversary Dungeon recreates the events, monsters, and levels of the original Diablo inside Diablo III.
  2. Returning Boss Fights include The Butcher, The Skeleton King, Lazarus and Diablo himself.
  3. The Dungeon will be 16 levels deep and accessible for all existing characters.
  4. It will feature special visual and audio filters to invoke all that sweet nostalgia. Here is a little sneak peek (image in the quote) of what that will look like.
  5. There was also talk of limiting the movement in the dungeon to 8 directions, but we don't know how that might look in practice.
  6. The Anniversary Dungeon will be included in "The Darkening of Tristram" patch for free. It will be on PTR next week, and live in January.
  7. It will be a limited time event, occurring for one month every year.
  8. Completing the Dungeon rewards a Legendary Gem that fits into the Helmet slot, reminiscent of Diablo's Soulstone. It will be a utility Gem, giving you a buff when you level up.

this what D1inD3 looks like

d3_17anni_catacombslvls_tf_10.png

1N0UjV3.jpg

Dunfisch

According to Diablofans:

Completing the Dungeon rewards a Legendary Gem that fits into the Helmet slot, reminiscent of Diablo's Soulstone. It will be a utility Gem, giving you a buff when you level up.

Wow. So essentially there's the nostalgia - I'll take that, thank you -, and then there's... that. Nothing. A gem which you'll never use because it doesn't trigger anything on 70s. Unless it works on Paragon levels and gives a good buff which lasts like... 30-60 minutes, or it'll never see use by high Paragon chars.

It will be a limited time event, occurring for one month every year.

And this thing is not even available all year round : D .

Live in January.

Live in January. In January. JANUARY. Man, it's going onto the PTR next week! Oof.
Blizzard, I love your games like the next guy, and Diablo especially... so this here makes me go not like this. Not like this.

Can't wait for the inevitable D4 reveal sometime down the road and reenact that one Penny Arcade strip about Metroid: Other M.

Both of these things please me greatly.
Necro was always my favorite and I don't mind paying for it considering D3 has multiplayer, constant updates and no sub fee.

In general the D3 community can be more critical then others, I like to stay positive.

SO cheer up folks! This is all super cool stuff!

Register

Banned
I mained Necro in Diablo 2 which also lead me to play Warlock in WoW... but after recently getting into Diablo 3 back, since vanilla, it was boring after ~2 weeks, since I had everything and grinding out Rifts got really boring quickly. So while I really want to try the Necro, I don't see myself spending money on him, unless they change things around some more - which I doubt. I really hoped for a Diablo 4. :(

orochi91

Seasons coming to consoles, according to Diablofans.

What about all the hacked equipment? Won't those ruin seasonal play?

Using the word remake or saying they are recreating the original game is really confusing people. It's not the entire first game recreated in Diablo 3. It's a Diablo 1 themed rift. 16 floors, 4 bosses. That is not a remake or remaster. People are really getting the wrong idea here.

Damn.

Thanks for the info tho

Kyuur

So is the Diablo 1 thing just the maps/monsters/story with D3 mechanics, or are they actually recreating the systems/classes and such?

Gator86

The limited time only thing is unfathomably stupid. Fucking when is this ever a good idea? You're not trying to hustle loot boxes here, Blizzard. Just make it a fucking permanent thing.

frontovik

Banned
Boring news for the anniversary of one of their best known franchises. Blizzard has been going downhill for awhile now.

dr_rus

I don't get it. I would thought that at this point it would be easier to just update the original Diablo to be able to sell it on their store again. I mean, there's Diablo HD mod - how hard would it be to just implement the same OpenGL renderer on top of the original game with source access? What's the point of adding some D1 like dungeon to D3 for free?

bltn

Would've rather seen an expansion. I don't think this is enough content for me to get me back in the game, and I've spent more that a thousand hours in it already.

I guess we can consider D3 done after this, and wait a few years for a D4 announcement.

Corsick

The most hopelessly optimistic view I could see people taking on this Blizzcon is that they're diverting so many resources to Diablo 4 that any more content than this would be untenable for Blizzard right now. They can't justify it seeing as the game is coasting to when it finally gets sunset. That would make sense to me, and with how well D3 sold, it makes all the sense in the world to transition to being full steam ahead on D4. Which would mean minimal content for D3.

TheFatOne

way way below any of the diablo games.

Going to agree to disagree on this one. Path of Exile shits all over Diablo 3 in all the areas that matter in an ARPG. The only thing D3 has over PoE is the high level Blizzard polish. Not only that, but you can't even compare how PoE updates to D3. New leagues every couple of months and major updates every other new league. Current league ends in November. The next league is going to start in December and last three months. After that league is the next major expansion to PoE with the introduction of Act V, and they have been hyping that expansion as their largest one yet. Blizzard can't even touch GGG in terms of constantly updating their games.

depths20XX

Wow, that filter looks ridiculous. Also, only available for a month each year? Yeah I'm thinking they didn't put much work into the D1 stuff.

Deadstar

Boring news for the anniversary of one of their best known franchises. Blizzard has been going downhill for awhile now.

It's been said before but current Blizzard didn't make Diablo, Blizzard North did. I'm very interested to see what Brevik's next project will be.

anddo0

Loadouts? OMG!!!! YES!!!!!

D3 is close to being GOAT.

I've wanted loadouts forever.

New challenge rifts.. Thanks based Bliz

Risible

I feel like such a fucking idiot.

After the huge letdown that was D3 (for me, calm down fans of D3) I thought "they are going to do the fans a solid. We're going to get either the D2 remake or D4 for sure!"

Instead it's one new hero and a 16 level Rift re-imagining of D1. FUCKING LOL JOKES ON ME.

edit: WAIT IT'S A TIMED RIFT??? HOLY BALLS.

Top Bottom