• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 getting Necromancer (paid), remaking Diablo 1 in D3, new zones (free)

BFIB

I wish the single player would satisfy me enough :(

I've had multiple save files destroyed with hacks when using matchmaking.
You on PS4? I'm Nightmare Fuel and I'd be happy to meet up.

I don't do any matchmaking, etc. Just single player and have a few friends that I meet up with online.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The notion of people finding an isometric action RPG tense or frightening is absurd to me.

If I didn't already have Diablo 3 I'd buy it to play as the Necromancer. My favorite class in any action RPG, easily.

Steel

Banned
Me too. Necromancer and the Paladin were my favourite builds in D2. Too bad everyone used the Paladin in D2.

It was Nec, druid and Sorceress for me. That being said I don't see D3's gameplay doing the necromancer justice.

Lothars

The notion of people finding an isometric action RPG tense or frightening is absurd to me.

If I didn't already have Diablo 3 I'd buy it to play as the Necromancer. My favorite class in any action RPG, easily.
It's not absurd honestly, I remember playing Diablo 1 when it came out and fighting against the butcher at the beginning of the game was incredible. It was a top notch experience.

Firemind

In what sense. D2 is a titan of gaming history but what does it actually hold over D3 at present, save atmosphere?
Presentation, challenge, endgame, community, trading.

You could matchmake 8 player games in the year 2000. In 2016, there's not even a matchmaking service for specific runs.

I'm pretty sure the Necromancer will come with a new chapter just like the Crusader came. The Diablo I stuff will come the next season surely...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Someone posted these screens on another forum and swears they're real, but I haven't seen them posted anywhere else:

5WS9T0J.png

Q1B1Gxx.png

Anyone able to confirm/deny?

That "Mangum Opus" typo makes me think they're fake, but still.

You on PS4? I'm Nightmare Fuel and I'd be happy to meet up.

I don't do any matchmaking, etc. Just single player and have a few friends that I meet up with online.

Currently PS4-less, (payment towards Pro) but once i'm set up on the 10th then certainly, PM me your PSN id?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Me too. Necromancer and the Paladin were my favourite builds in D2. Too bad everyone used the Paladin in D2.
Cause they were bad ass as fuck. Once you gear one to a certain point you carry an entire team just for yourself, I actually miss that feeling in 3 when I really want it in high grs with useless scrubs.

D1 had a more oppressive atmosphere, drastically weaker pc's, and vastly greater death penalties.

And a lot of us were kids.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Totally hyped for any and all D3 content. Easily my fav Blizzard game.

Deadstar

Diablo 3 is just as good as Diablo 2 is. They are different in most ways but quality wise they are close.

This is objectively wrong. If Diablo 2 is a 10 Diablo 3 is a 8 at best. Diablo 3 has fun elements and killing monsters is very satisfying but the goofy voice acting, the story, the music, the items, the levels and the skill trees are no where near anything in D2.

Here's D3. Hey, here's a skill. You like that skill? Okay well instead of being able to increase it's damage we'll let you add fire, electricity, frost or some other garbage to it. Want to up the damage, find a higher damage weapon as a sorcerer. How idiotic. I enjoy many parts of Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is a great game, it's just not a great Diablo game. The atmosphere, the music, the skill tree, the danger. It's all wrong. In old games when you died it was terrifying. All your loot dropped on the ground! It was a very intense experience. Diablo 3 is all about spamming. If you die who cares. Added depth of managing health and mana? Ehhh we'll just throw some orbs on the ground. Keep spamming and have fun picking those up.

Diablo 2 > Diablo 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Diablo 3

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's not absurd honestly, I remember playing Diablo 1 when it came out and fighting against the butcher at the beginning of the game was incredible. It was a top notch experience.

Easily one of the best pc experience I had when it came out. Seriously the butcher opening the door when you close it and chasing you was just out of this world.

Moff

I am excited for both the D1 "remake" and the necromancer, I just hoped both would release at the same time

as for the quality of D3, i have played and loved all diablos at launch and I think D3 has by very far the best gameplay of them all and in the genre as a whole, so I'm happy to dive back in. I don't think we willl ever see a D4 anyway. Diablo is as dead as starcraft unless they find a way to milk players further after release.

This is objectively wrong. If Diablo 2 is a 10 Diablo 3 is a 8 at best. Diablo 3 has fun elements and killing monsters is very satisfying but the goofy voice acting, the story, the music, the items, the levels and the skill trees are no where near anything in D2.

Here's D3. Hey, here's a skill. You like that skill? Okay well instead of being able to increase it's damage we'll let you add fire, electricity, frost or some other garbage to it. Want to up the damage, find a higher damage weapon as a sorcerer. How idiotic. I enjoy many parts of Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is a great game, it's just not a great Diablo game. The atmosphere, the music, the skill tree, the danger. It's all wrong. In old games when you died it was terrifying. All your loot dropped on the ground! It was a very intense experience. Diablo 3 is all about spamming. If you die who cares. Added depth of managing health and mana? Ehhh we'll just throw some orbs on the ground. Keep spamming and have fun picking those up.

Where does PoE stand?

Deadstar

lol nope it's not wrong. I love the ones trying to convince me that I am wrong.

Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it for hundreds of hours. I didn't get hooked on Diablo 3 like I did 2 because it's an inferior game. I am a true fan. How is Diablo 3 better or as good as 2?

Diablo 3 has worse music, a skill system that is a lot less rewarding and fun than D2's, the story is bad, the boss battles are bad (enclosed instead of open), there's no tense death system. Weapons increasing spell damage is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Does that make sense to you? There's no way it should. Imagine in a d&d game where you play as a mage and your spells increase in power as you find new swords. It doesn't make sense. Sure, their might be some "magic" style weapons but EVERY weapon in Diablo increases your magic. I could go on and on.

Where does PoE stand?

I like PoE but it's kind of bland to me. The skill system, while deep is a little bit wonky and gets dull after a while since you're using the same skills over and over. I'd say that I prefer Diablo 3 over PoE because I prefer the art style and killing monsters feels incredible.

Barakov

Can definitely understand the disappoint but I'm in for all for it. Diablo 3 is not the best Diablo game but it's something I've had plenty of fun with so I'm glad they're putting new stuff out for it.

way way below any of the diablo games.

Another thing we will have to disagree on subjectively. It has more D1/D2 dna then D3 ever will. Though the game could use some of D3 ideas in relation to game play. Personally, i think they stuck a little to close to the formula and kind of cloned themselves a bit to close. But who i'm i kidding....i'm looking forward to Lineage Eternal as that looks like the next logical step up in the iso-arpg genre.

Gator86

Man, the salt from Diablo 2 fans is fucking stellar.

Wow, from the thread title, I thought I was actually going to have to reinstall d3.

But it sounds awful, using d3 chars and mechanics for a d1 total conversion of sorts?

A real Diablo 1 remaster would actually be awesome

btown

I really hope there's some sort of rebalance coming, whether it be items, skills, stats, whatever. The game is stale as fuck, a new class and play-it-once-and-ignore-forever dungeon won't change anything.

Lothars

Another thing we will have to disagree on subjectively. It has more D1/D2 dna then D3 ever will. Though he could use some of D3 ideas in relation to gameplay. They think they stuck a little to close to the formula. But who i'm i kidding....i'm looking forward to Lineage Eternal.
yeah we won't agree on POE either, I'm not a fan of it.

Is Lineage Eternal a sequel to the original Lineage games? I did enjoy those when they were out but didn't play a whole lot of them since they were MMO's

The delusions from D3 fans are sad. They love to stuck with a failing game, that has people playing D2 more then the new title.
There's no Delusion from D3 fans, We love the game and will keep playing it, It's a great game and continues to be.

martino

Presentation, challenge, endgame, community, trading.

You could matchmake 8 player games in the year 2000. In 2016, there's not even a matchmaking service for specific runs.

you still want dumb and time consuming aberration of old and not refined game UI/design. (bad side of conservatism to sum up)
i play h&s since diablo (for thousand and thousand of hour) and i much prefer repsec on the fly and no trading system.
but yeah small niche communities are really vocal and will never end to cry because they are niche and game data collection will save us from what is to me nostalgia dumbness.

Sober

Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it for hundreds of hours. I didn't get hooked on Diablo 3 like I did 2 because it's an inferior game. I am a true fan. How is Diablo 3 better or as good as 2?

Diablo 3 has worse music, a skill system that is a lot less rewarding and fun than D2's, the story is bad, the boss battles are bad (enclosed instead of open), there's no tense death system. Weapons increasing spell damage is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Does that make sense to you? There's no way it should. Imagine in a d&d game where you play as a mage and your spells increase in power as you find new swords. It doesn't make sense. Sure, their might be some "magic" style weapons but EVERY weapon in Diablo increases your magic. I could go on and on.
D2 was great when it came out and you can argue it is better than D3 but mechanically it is so dated I can't believe some games still follow (Borderlands comes to mind) that when D3 is mechanically superior.

The point of skills scaling on weapon damage mean that the point of Diablo - a loot ARPG - can work for every class because how would you theoretically get stronger in a loot game? Better loot. It's right there. It makes about as much sense as a talent that does nothing but gives you 5% bonus damage.

To be honest I don't miss the days where you have a stupidly large talent tree where each rank of something does nothing but increase your damage or something else by some marginal percentage and anything interesting takes a ridiculous amount of investment. Sorry but I'm not in high school anymore. I don't have time to reroll a character just because I misclicked a talent allocation and the devs decided respecing is for casuals.

Top Bottom