• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you people keep comparing the NX to phones?

Modern phones are more advanced multi-function devices that play complex videogames, calls + text services, cameras, are internet capable tablets; and almost everyone already has had more than one. This is the type of device and environment Nintendo is competing against, not it's previous single use handheld in a world full of flip phones. People will not carry two ergonomically similar devices if one has more functionality in the real world. This is why Apple phased out the traditional ipod after the iphone became mature. Furthermore, the ipod touch is currently being sold for € 239/$199. Why would the average person purchase a single purpose handheld with outdated technical specs when they could buy an Apple ipod touch or simply give their children their old phone?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If Nintendo could somehow create a handheld device retailing for under $300 that can run Breath of the Wild at 1080p/30fps then my mind would be absolutely blown. I really don't understand how them doing less than that is disappointing and indicative of a low-powered machine. In real-world scenarios even the iPhone 6+ wouldn't be able to handle a typical complex console game at a decent framerate.

I would prefer 720p @60fps.

Anyone expecting the handheld screen to be more than 720p was deluding themselves. Whether it'll upscale for when docked or downscale when undocked is a question, but a 1080p screen would be expensive, inefficient, and frankly unnecessary on a handheld

Mr Swine

Banned
My 3DS runs at 240P and the battery lasts MAYBE four hours. Doesn't seem to be a priority for Nintendo.

You are forgetting that 3DS has some power hungry CPU and GPU that is made on a very old node compared to Vita. It also has 2 screens with the top one being 3D which probably drains more power compared to a normal screen.

Oregano

How about there's a 6.2" 720p screen handheld with a docking mode as the "main" NX, but a cheaper, handheld only 5" 720p NX available? Would that make people happy? I'd certainly prefer it.

They could make as many additional SKUs as they want down the line. We could easily see NX Micro, NX XL(even bigger lol), NX TV, etc...

I think going with the hybrid to start with is just the perfect way to establish "We're putting all of our games on this".

Reda

Neo Member
It is portable, you'll just need a bag to put it in. Glad they seem to be going for more of a tablet size this time.

Maybe you're right. When I think portable, I think whether it can sit in my pocket (not necessarily comfortably) i.e. ps vita size. I hoped for too much.

Isn't the DS capable of multitouch? I remember a puzzle in Hotel Dusk that uses it.

It is not. The puzzle tried to fake it but the DS and 3DS can't do multitouch.

Nintendo does have a patent for it though, and they describe a Star Fox game where you place your fingers on the wings to tilt and turn the ship.

mario_O

For phones. The power requirements for a handheld are completely different and 720 could hurt the system's visuals greatly. Phones with 1080p or higher screens are irrelevant because they aren't rendering games natively and they're usually graphically worse than Wii U games.

upscaling the more demanding games wont "hurt the visuals greatly", most people wont even notice it. And you can have other games and apps running native 720p.

Kurdel

Banned
240 ppi is gnarly? You realize even a 30 inch 4K monitor (which you'll be sitting at about the same distance to) doesn't even reach 200ppi, right?

I know that PPI is gnarly because it's the same size and resolution as the Galaxy Mega, I don't need to imagine it.

Rodin

This is shaping up to be the perfect handheld device. At this point for me being able to connect to a TV is just a plus for games like Zelda and Xeno.

720p in 2017 is pretty underwhelming, and at that ppi will look gnarly.

Lol this again

iPad retina is 260 ppi. NX is 240. You view both at pretty much the same distance.

Galang

Banned
I have absolutely no faith Nintendo will do a 720p touchscreen. It would be a pleasant surprise if true, but I refuse to believe this considering Nintendo's track record with screens

joecanada

Modern phones are more advanced multi-function devices that play complex videogames, calls + text services, cameras, and internet capable tablets, and almost everyone already has had more than one. This is the type of device and environment Nintendo is competing against, not it's previous single use handheld in a world of flip phones. People will not carry two ergonomically similar devices if one has more functionality in the real world. This is why Apple phased out the traditional ipod after the iphone became mature. And while we are on that, the ipod touch is still being sold. Why would the average person purchase a single purpose handheld with outdated technical specs when they could buy an Apple ipod touch or simply give their children their old phone?

Well,.... You have a point there. If you are thinking of potential competition there are also a ton of tablets that are affordable now. Most of my friends kids play Minecraft on their own tablets now . So maybe the comparison to old handhelds isn't the closest issue facing Nintendo now

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
720p is what I always wanted. I thought 540p was a tad too chincy even on a small screen. You obviously aren't gonna try and render 1080p on a handheld that needs to get battery life.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The third point hasn't seemed to matter to Nintendo for a long while. Doubt it will have decent battery life.

My 3DS runs at 240P and the battery lasts MAYBE four hours. Doesn't seem to be a priority for Nintendo.

Maybe they learn from their mistake from the 3DS and go back to the way they've done things in the past. Or not. We'll see. 3D being the central gimmick really hampered them and left them with little choice. The other two points still apply.

But it won't run modern video games just Nintendo and Japanese games.

Do you want a cookie for your clever quip?

6.2 inch 720p screen seems a bit much for a handheld...

That's a joke. This obsession on GAF with 540p being "perfect" is silly. Even the lowest budget devices rarely go below 720p at this point. Especially anything with a tablet or phone form factor.

If you meant the size, 6.2inch is pretty close to common cell phone size now. For some that's too big, but it's not exactly unusual.

Totakeke

I don't understand the part where the NX is supposed to function as a handheld but is still as big as the Wii U gamepad. This doesn't make sense. Furthermore if the detachable controllers support motion controls, then they need to be comfortable to grip and I can't imagine a thin, small-sized device combining all these stuff.

Arkeband

Banned
I feel like Emily Rogers is performing some kind of leaker Gish Gallop, where she just says so many things that have yet to be substantiated that people forget the earlier things that still have yet to happen.

Never forget Mother 3!

Plum

I know that PPI is gnarly because it's the same size and resolution as the Galaxy Mega, I don't need to imagine it.

Then I must have serious undiagnosed eye problems because even sitting about 2 feet away from my 24 inch 1080p monitor I can't make out a single pixel despite it having less than 100ppi. You can either get a severely underpowered handheld at a "non-gnarly" resolution or something that can run modern complex games at a gnarly resolution. Seeing as the NX is a gaming device and not a phone I'd choose the latter.

Rodin

It's "perfect" relative to Nintendo.
No it's perfect no matter how you look at it. 1080p screen means worse battery life, higher cost, shitty graphics and tons of upscaled titles. There's a thing called balance that is more important than having the highest number.

I have absolutely no faith Nintendo will do a 720p touchscreen. It would be a pleasant surprise if true, but I refuse to believe this considering Nintendo's track record with screens
Nintendo never used a ultra high end, top tier mobile chip in their handheld devices either. Things change.

720p display?!? Yes please!! In fact let me give you my money now in case you run out.
This lol

gogogow

It's "perfect" relative to Nintendo.

Relative to Nintendo? How about relative to a dedicated portable gaming device?

I guess some people really want 1-2 hours of gameplay time or wants tons of sub native resolution games.

People need to think before posting the typical "because Nintendo" posts.

Atheerios

You forgot the Game Freak tweet she made, as well. With that said, here's my thoughts from the other thread.
  • Not surprised about the motion control part for the reasons mentioned earlier, but I'm curious to see how force feedback will work on the NX.
  • If that ends up being the final size for the screen, that's about the size of the Wii U GamePad (if I recall correctly, I don't exactly have a ruler on-hand to measure my GamePad's screen size). Nintendo going for 720p is a bit surprising, but it at least it'll look fine on a TV in the event that Nintendo doesn't have the NX run at a faster clock speed while in Dock Mode.
  • The fact that the dock supposedly has 2 USB ports does confirm that the docking station is more than just a simple HDMI Out, assuming that this is true. That said, I hope they bump the USB port count to 4 in the final product, namely so we can still do 8-Player Smash with 8 GameCube controllers for the Smash 4 port.
  • I've already given my thoughts on the Game Freak report, & this would probably be the fastest that they've ever jumped on a new platform (perhaps Nintendo was adamant about them providing a mainline Pokémon game early in the NX's life to avoid another Gen 5 situation like what happened with the 3DS). If this will be just a Sun/Moon port, a Sun/Moon sequel game, or a Diamond/Pearl remake (which I personally think will be saved for Gen 8) is beyond me. Either way, I'm not expecting anything NX-exclusive from Game Freak (Ex: Pokémon Eclipse being NX-only) until Gen 8, namely for the sake of not screwing over 3DS owners who are already invested in Gen 7.

What did she say about Game Freak?

I don't understand the part where the NX is supposed to function as a handheld but is still as big as the Wii U gamepad. This doesn't make sense. Furthermore if the detachable controllers support motion controls, then they need to be comfortable to grip and I can't imagine a thin, small-sized device combining all these stuff.
Take the Wii U Gamepad outside, sit down somewhere and act like you're playing it.
Surely people use tablets outside the house so what's the problem???
I don't think it has to fit in your pocket to be portable.

Astral Dog

Emily Rogers says a lot of things.
But this sounds promising so far, the best (realistic) hope in the teach threads, most were expecting a 540p screen.

Also what could this mean about the battery, price and graphics push, that sounds high for Nintendo.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Does the game need to run at 1080p though? I'm fairly sure just having 1080p screen and having some games that run natively on that, but then more demanding games run at lower resolution, would be better solution than just having some sub-HD screen that will affect general UI look too.
But you're right, it's probably not that easy to get 1080/60 running portably, will have to see and this is all just grain of salt stuff anyway.

Upscalling artefacts on my handheld games? No plz!

Kurdel

Banned
Then I must have serious undiagnosed eye problems because even sitting about 2 feet away from my 24 inch 1080p monitor I can't make out a single pixel despite it having less than 100ppi.

Because comparing a fixed screen with something you can bring closer to your face is a fair comparison.

I have seen a screen like this and was underwhelmed in 2013, I shudder to think how outdated this console will be in 2020.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Huge hot noisy boxes struggle to play games natively at 1080p 60fps and people expect a slim not actively cooled battery powered device to do that? Do you even realise the absurdity of the complain?

Phones have bigger resolution screens but they struggle to render games at a decent resolution without draining the battery or catching fire in the process. And most of those games don't even look like last gen console games yet. 60fps? What's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom