• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Doesn't guarantee that! I disagree with this.
Would be a real waste if there isn't any logic or minimal processing capabilities at the least. Not talking about having a GPU or SOC on the dock.

But the dock would be super useful with this features:
  • Charging.
  • Connecting to the TV via HDMI.
  • Has a Wifi Antenna.
  • Space for a 2.5 '' Drive.
  • USB ports.
  • A simple ARM cpu to manage downloads.

Too many advantages to ignore and increases the functionality of the device by quite alot. It even allows to play content from the Dock withotuh the need to transfer data when the NX is docked to it.

But you said in the previous post that you don't have a problem with the resoltuion been lowered when using the NX as a portable. So why is the 6.2 '' inch 720p screen instead of the same size 540p one a resource hog?

The GPD XD is only a mid-range device. The graphics while very good, are nowhere near the Wii U. It's uses a 6000Amh battery to even last that long for graphics not even on par with Wii U.

720p phones were a thing like 4 years ago. There have certainly been advancements in battery tech since then to allow a handheld gaming device of that resolution to have decent battery life. And I'm sure displaying games in 720p will be a cakewalk for a Pascal based Tegra chip. Frankly, I think 540p is too low a resolution for a handheld releasing in 2017, especially when it'll have to compete with phones and tablets. And it WILL have to compete with phones and tablets.

A phone isn't really meant for playing games for hours straight. If you're playing games only, then the battery will drain like crazy.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I know it's unlikely but it would be very sweet if I could stream my PC games to this device.

phanphare

Banned
Nicowav that teased devil third exclusive, tphd, botw details among other things said during a stream, the reveal would be around september 20th.
And while we're at it, also said retro studio has two projects and both are from existing series...

well this is quite interesting. if I were a guessing man I'd guess they're working on Metroid and another DKC game. Metroid because Nintendo needs a mainline Metroid game for NX and another DKC game because those seem like passion projects for the studio and are best in class. hopefully Retro took my advice and will do Diddy Kong Country Returns: DKC Returns 3 ;p

KAL2006

Banned
Would be a real waste if there isn't any logic or minimal processing capabilities at the least. Not talking about having a GPU or SOC on the dock.

• Charging.
  • Connecting to the TV via HDMI.
  • Has a Wifi Antenna.
  • Space for a 2.5 '' Drive.
  • USB ports.
  • A simple ARM cpu to manage downloads.

Too many advantages to ignore and increases the functionality of the device by quite alot. It even allows to play content from the Dock withotuh the need to transfer data when the NX is docked to it.

WiFi seems like a waste as the Handheld will have WiFi
ARM CPU is also a waste as the Handheld can manage downloads.

All the dock needs to do is have USB ports for external hard drive support or extra controllers getting charged. It just needs to provide a simple pass through for HDMI and charge the Handheld.

Eolz

Why do people screaming about their phone's resolution still don't want to understand basic arguments such as native resolution, battery/power needed for demanding games, etc?
It's quite baffling.

The GPD XD is only a mid-range device. The graphics while very good, are nowhere near the Wii U. It's uses a 6000Amh battery to even last that long for graphics not even on par with Wii U.

A phone isn't really meant for playing games for hours straight. If you're playing games only, then the battery will drain like crazy.
Yes, but the discussion is about the screen and more specifically the resolution of it.

You said that you don't mind having the resolution been dropped when gaming on the go. So in that sense having a 720P screen instead of a 540P one when both are 6.2'' and the game is been rendered at the same resolution, doesn't make much diference in terms of power consumption. However, you still get the benefit of cleaner UI/Menus or for content that doesn't put so much of strees on the processing of the device.

Also, be careful with comparisons between devices with different components, architectures and maybe entriely different component qualities.

The reviews I read say the GPD XD gets around 8 hours battery life, that's pretty good to me, far more than Nintendo cares about. The reviews were impressed with the battery life. And it's using an older chip, which not only means less powerful, it also means less energy efficient.

Mega

Banned
720p is still a resource hog.

I own a GPD XD. It's a 5 inch screen @ 720p. It's a mid-range-ish GPU and can run Epic Citadel at 720p @ 60fps. The thing only lasts around 5 hours with a 6000Amh battery. I rather go with 540p and have the battery last for 8+ hours.

I have a GPD too and sometimes it has good battery life, depending on what you're playing. But how long it lasts isn't just about the resolution, since devices with similar screens doing the same task can have wildly different battery life. It has as much to do with the parts inside, the quality of the battery, OS power management and background processes and if the game is a battery hog itself. Maybe NX won't have great battery but I wouldn't say an existing Chinese 3DS clone running a battery draining mobile game is proof that 720p is overkill for the NX.

WiFi seems like a waste as the Handheld will have WiFi
ARM CPU is also a waste as the Handheld can manage downloads.

All the dock needs to do is have USB ports for external hard drive support or extra controllers getting charged. It just needs to provide a simple pass through for HDMI and charge the Handheld.
On the contrary, if you use your imagination a little more you' ll realize otherwise.

HAving the base with Wifi allows the NX to work as a reverse Wii U.

Having the the base with Wifi and the AMD processor allos the dock to install downloads by itself when the user is away, so taking advantage of extra storage available in the base. And also allows the NX to comunicate and control it while on the go.

The only real counter argument to not have such features has to do with costs. But considering the extra functionality it allows maybe it would be worthwhile.

The reviews I read say the GPD XD gets around 8 hours battery life, that's pretty good to me, far more than Nintendo cares about.

8 hours depending on what you're playing. I managed to get 12 hours playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night. I used the in game hours to track my battery life.

HAving the base with Wifi allows the NX to work as a reverse Wii U.
That would be horrible, who wants to play HD games downconverted to 480p on their TV, just so they don't have to walk a couple feet and put the device in a dock? That's the only way Wii U was able to stream video realtime to its controller with only 1 frame of latency, by sending only 480p.

zoukka

I love this resolution dick waving. Your phone is most likely being bottlenecked by those ridiculous resolutions resulted in the arms race of phone manufacturers. You don't even realise you are celebrating something that makes your product worse to use lul.

Jaagen

The 3DS normally last round 3 - 5 hours. I would imagine Nintendo are targeting that. That's completely doable with current technology and a 720p screen.

I hope it's closer to 5 hours than to 3. And I hope they fix the abysmal standby times. I found that to be a worse offender.

cyba89

Nintendo and its weak handheld form" when they play 4K on a 50" TV which will have less ppi than this device..

Typing this on my macbook pro retina 13" with 227ppi, the resolution is so bad that my eyes are bleeding, its unacceptable
/s

You know it makes no sense to compare ppi values across different device types (TV, Notebooks, Phones) because of very different viewing distances.?

720p for a handheld is absolutely fine though. I'm a bit more worried about the console function of this device.

ggx2ac

This whole phone comparison thing just goes to show how careful Nintendo needs to be with their marketing/messaging.

You bring up a very good point. Someone, anyone, just tell Nintendo to name their screen tech similar to iPad's retina stuff.

It's just marketing fluff and it will fool mainstream people into thinking the resolution is good even though it's not larger than on phones.

atbigelow

Really wonder if the "dock" is going to be a required piece of this. For it to entirely replace 3DS, it will need to operate without one. For it to replace Wii U, it will need it.

If it isn't required, that means they can charge extra for it. Which means it could be more than just an HDMI pass through and USB hub.

Also I really hope the way it docks protects the screen and keeps it off. I will rarely be taking this thing anywhere, so I want it nestled in cozily into my entertainment system.

AdanVC

This whole phone comparison thing just goes to show how careful Nintendo needs to be with their marketing/messaging.

Yes. If they pull out another Wii U reveal-like with NX... Yikes! Not too sure they can survive another 4+ with a failed console. Maybe yes but that's not how things should be so just hoping for the best.

RMI

Banned
720P is better than the Vita, right? That thing has been good enough for me. 6.2" screen doesn't seem crazy considering the fablets people are walking around with these days.

my main worry is that people are going to compare this hardware directly to $600 smart phones, and I'm worried that the build quality of this thing isn't going to live up to that standard. Hopefully it at least feels solid like the Vita.

Oregano

I played some Unkilled on my Shield tablet before. Game has blob shadows and low poly character models(probably lower poly than Resi Revelations), Wii graphics are probably the closest comparison.

Rodin

My phone has like 7 times the resolution of this thing.
Enjoy Mobius FF rendered at 1/7 of that res and 15fps then. We'll be fine with Breath of the Wild and 240 ppi.

Discussing hardware in a hardware thread?
Is this a joke or something?

I played some Unkilled on my Shield tablet before. Game has blob shadows and low poly character models(probably lower poly than Resi Revelations), Wii graphics are probably the closest comparison.
"Complex" titles on mobile phones usually have Wii/Xbox graphics in high res with some "modern" effects, yes.

Oregano

720P is better than the Vita, right? That thing has been good enough for me. 6.2" screen doesn't seem crazy considering the fablets people are walking around with these days.

my main worry is that people are going to compare this hardware directly to $600 smart phones, and I'm worried that the build quality of this thing isn't going to live up to that standard. Hopefully it at least feels solid like the Vita.

Yes, Vita resolution is 544p so a good bit lower but not a gigantic difference.

Servbot24

Banned
Thinking that because phones have 1080p screens that the NX should have those too even though it would be detrimental to the system.

That's what I'm talking about.
I'm not sure how enabling NX to be a viable media platform along with giving developers extra display options would be detrimental to anyone, other than extra cost in the screen.

Is this a joke or something?
Make a point.

refreshment.01 said:

• [*] Charging.
    [*] Connecting to the TV via HDMI.
    [*] Has a Wifi Antenna.
    [*] Space for a 2.5 '' Drive.
    [*] USB ports.
    [*] A simple ARM cpu to manage downloads.

That would be horrible, who wants to play HD games downconverted to 480p on their TV, just so they don't have to walk a couple feet and put the device in a dock? That's the only way Wii U was able to stream video realtime to its controller with only 1 frame of latency, by sending only 480p.
Horrible? Don't understand why the suggestion merits that reaction.

Having Wifi in the dock allows the NX to use the touch screen as an interface method when playing on the TV, this is valueble for some games.

For example, this opens the possibility for local asymetrical multiplayer in games such as Nintendo Land. Have one player using the touch screen while the other(s) use the detachable Wii Remote like controllers. The Boost Block mode of NSMBU is another good showcase.

Games that revolve around user created content benefits from the touch screen as a simplified input method. Mario Maker is another case that comes to mind, not to mention Nintendo's Miiverse.

Wifi in the dock opens a good amount of possibilities that at least merit discussion.

AntMurda

She also said MCV's report about Game Freak working on NX has some truth to it.

Emily Rogers has sources everywhere. Guys at Nintendo EPD, Retro Studios, NOA, you name it. Sarcasm btw. But this is the kind of BS I especially. don't like. It's obvious that GameFreak will work on the NX. It's obvious that every Nintendo developer will work on the NX, so passing that sentence off just reeks of someone in love with the Twitter fame of "knowing everything" that no one else knows. It's the equivalent of saying "I have sources telling me that Nintendo is already working on a new Mario and Animal Crossing for the NX". And the Nintendoids going crazy.

720p is fine. Just fine. It's HD which matters the most because everything is done at HD resolutions nowadays. It's certainly better than the ridiculous notion that sub-hd was not only more acceptable but somehow more beneficial.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
On the contrary, if you use your imagination a little more you' ll realize otherwise.

Having the base with Wifi allows the NX to work as a reverse Wii U.

Having the the base with Wifi and the AMD processor allos the dock to install downloads by itself when the user is away, so taking advantage of extra storage available in the base. And also allows the NX to comunicate and control it while on the go.

The only real counter argument to not have such features has to do with costs. But considering the extra functionality it allows maybe it would be worthwhile.
Pretty much. The more I'm thinking about the dock the more I'm reaching to the conclusion it won't be a dumb stand. Actually, I expect it to be more than a reverse-wiiU situation, in the sense that I expect the dock to have much higher ratio of capabilities vs the HH unit, in comparison to the gamepad-to-base-unit ratio of capabilities in wiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom