• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodin

I'm not sure how enabling NX to be a viable media platform along with giving developers extra display options would be detrimental to anyone, other than extra cost in the screen.

Make a point.
Shitposting and discussing hardware in a hardware thread are two entirely different things. Guess what that post was doing, 33 pages in.

Pretty much. The more I'm thinking about the dock the more I'm reaching to the conclusion it won't be a dumb stand. Actually, I expect it to be more than a reverse-wiiU situation, in the sense that I expect the dock to have much higher ratio of capabilities vs the HH unit, in comparison to the gamepad-to-base-unit ratio of capabilities in wiiU.
Yup, it would be interesting. For example, i was thinking about buying games from your phone when you're out and the dock downloads it even if the handheld isn't connected.

MacTag

Banned
I hope it's closer to 5 hours than to 3. And I hope they fix the abysmal standby times. I found that to be a worse offender.
You can already fix the abysmal standby times on 3DS, just turn off wifi so it's not constantly searching for street and spot passes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Vita: 960x544 @5 inches=220.68 PPI

Typical 720p resolution: 1280x720@ 6.2 inches=236.87 PPI

Yes. If the screen is of good quality then the games are going to look fantastic.

Anarky

Banned
I'm not sure how enabling NX to be a viable media platform along with giving developers extra display options would be detrimental to anyone, other than extra cost in the screen.

Do you want the battery life on this thing to be bad? Because 1080p BOTW would drain the battery pretty fast on a handheld and yes that would be detrimental.

DonShula

I respect that people are interested in the screen resolution and size. But as a couch Nintendo fan, who is never going to take this thing out of the house, I just want to know the output on the dock isn't going to be hamstrung. Predominantly 720p output would be disappointing. I don't expect 1080p/60 on all games, but I also don't want to see default 720p on a 2017 console while 4K TVs have basically become mainstream.

Pssst the real secret is that a bigger form factor allows them to put in a more powerful SoC and battery. That's likely the reason they'd go bigger. If that's the case we'd have to wait for a more efficient chip to come out for a smaller revision.
Good point. It should be noted having the form factor of the 3DS to be close to the same size to the DS-lite did no favors for its battery life and power. Starting off a bit bigger will allow them to do a NX-lite down the line.

For those resolution-heavy people: a 5" 720p screen is close to 300pi which is "Retina display".

ggx2ac

I just lost a lot of brain cells today. I had to block someone on Twitter wasting my time because he didn't understand the difference between two seperate consoles, i.e. a handheld and a home console. And... A hybrid.

He thinks that if seperate consoles can communicate with each other, that somehow that's a hybrid.

This was after I asked him to disprove the WSJ articles from Takashi Mochizuki because he claimed that Takashi was speculating when I pointed out in the article that he got the hybrid info from his sources.

Edit: That means the PS4/PS3/PS Vita/PSP are hybrids according to his definition... Which means that Sony was ahead of Nintendo. lol

Somnid

720p would be more than I was expecting. If the majority of software isn't running higher than 720p (and for a portable running non-mobile game I wouldn't expect it to) then it really doesn't make sense to have it.

Emily Rogers has sources everywhere. Guys at Nintendo EPD, Retro Studios, NOA, you name it. Sarcasm btw. But this is the kind of BS I especially. don't like. It's obvious that GameFreak will work on the NX. It's obvious that every Nintendo developer will work on the NX, so passing that sentence off just reeks of someone in love with the Twitter fame of "knowing everything" that no one else knows. It's the equivalent of saying "I have sources telling me that Nintendo is already working on a new Mario and Animal Crossing for the NX". And the Nintendoids going crazy.
I think the point was that Game Freak usually still puts out the next Pokemon game on the previous handheld hardware when new hardware has been released eg. Black and White 2 on DS after the 3DS was already out.

I look forward to the day we have official and confirmed NX news threads, instead of hoaxes and tweets by Emily Rogers.

As far as I'm concerned, that Mother 3 tweet is still unexplained. Not gonna put any value into her tweets.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I respect that people are interested in the screen resolution and size. But as a couch Nintendo fan, who is never going to take this thing out of the house, I just want to know the output on the dock isn't going to be hamstrung. Predominantly 720p output would be disappointing. I don't expect 1080p/60 on all games, but I also don't want to see default 720p on a 2017 console while 4K TVs have basically become mainstream.

I fully expect NX Zelda will run at the same resolution on your tv as the WiiU. I think graphically they will look identical.

3+ hours? Heeeeeeell no. Give me at least 5+ hours.

The 3DS doesn't give you that. Why would you expect the NX to do that?

ggx2ac

I look forward to the day we have official and confirmed NX news threads, instead of hoaxes and tweets by Emily Rogers.

As far as I'm concerned, that Mother 3 tweet is still unexplained. Not gonna put any value into her tweets.

I just want this all to end, I hate dealing with guys that play the victim card because they can't take criticism when they are called out on their bullshit.

They can't admit that they are wrong.

If Emily Rogers has actually admitted being wrong on things, she's fine in my book compared to these other guys.

Eurogamer would have some explaining to do as well then, as they reported the exact same thing.

It's possible they were both wrong, but it's also possible that it's still coming at some point.

I'm honestly more interested in the games now than any specs. I know there isn't much to speak of until Nintendo's radio silence ends, but since these rumors could all end up being an echo chamber, we have to get something concrete soon...
That said, a 6.2" 720p screen could go either way--too good to be true (in the sense that it'd make for a higher-end device) or Nintendo taking a very different approach. Obviously those are good specs, but I won't get excited without hearing from Nintendo themselves.

stilgar

Emily Rogers has sources everywhere. Guys at Nintendo EPD, Retro Studios, NOA, you name it. Sarcasm btw. But this is the kind of BS I especially. don't like. It's obvious that GameFreak will work on the NX. It's obvious that every Nintendo developer will work on the NX, so passing that sentence off just reeks of someone in love with the Twitter fame of "knowing everything" that no one else knows. It's the equivalent of saying "I have sources telling me that Nintendo is already working on a new Mario and Animal Crossing for the NX". And the Nintendoids going crazy.

The animosity against Emily Rogers coming from some of you is absolutely ridiculous.
She's a journalist, she's got a track record, and yes, she knows people at Nintendo.That doesn't make her the ultimate source, but she's not some twitter account coming from nowhere or some unknown troll.

If it is indeed portable, and if smartphones are the competition, decent battery life must be accomplished so that when your mate's phone has died, you can game on. The accompanying memes would be awesome. I'm thinking of an NX masterrace/smartphone peasant scenario.

ggx2ac

Eurogamer would have some explaining to do as well then, as they reported the exact same thing.

It's possible they were both wrong, but it's also possible that it's still coming at some point.

You'd have to include LPVG for agreeing with Eurogamer's report as being accurate.

But all that does is give more weight to the rumours.

What's annoying is that we have people believing guys on Twitter that are the equivalent of those Reddit insiders that got banned or called out on their bullshit. That supposedly, these guys and their bogus claims are more credible than the insiders/sources from Eurogamer, Kotaku and the like.

MDave

The comparison to smartphones doesn't matter to me, but I thought I would check those out. Real Racing 3 is a very good looking mobile game, and it renders internally to 720p on many devices, including the iPhone 6s Plus and Galaxy S7 Edge.

A battery benchmark of the game constantly running puts the iPhone 6s Plus to battery life to about 4 hours, and the Galaxy S7 Edge to nearly double that (test ended with 43% battery left when the iPhone died).

720p is going to be fine for battery life. And if the NX uses a larger 6 inch screen, it will have room for bigger batteries then these smart phones too.

Banned
Part of that was a joke. I guess I forgot you wanted the NX to change performance.

Just to make sure, you can only expect it to change clocks for the GPU, I remember Blu or Thraktor mentioning you can't just down clock the CPU because CPUs aren't scalable like GPUs in performance, they don't work that way.

Also, the other question is, how much RAM is required for the thing to output at 1080p? We're talking about for a AAA western game, not a mobile game. The NX could have 6GB of LPDDR4 RAM at 50GB/s and a small amount of embedded RAM on the die because Thraktor mentioned how the Tile-based rasterizer from Nvidia can help ease memory usage requirements for Nintendo. Although I don't know if that's enough for 1080p AAA western games.
Do the cartridges also make things easier for memory instead of loading things into the RAM?

I'm just trying to see if all that is needed is a GPU change in performance to make this work. As I said before, if the NX wasn't tablet sized, I couldn't see the changed performance while docked mode happen. We now know the NX may be as big as a Wii U Gamepad, hopefully not bulky because again, Japanese consumers think big = heavy, not big & dense = heavy.

However a change in performance to allow 1080p to work means I don't see any reason for the SCD to be around. If it were, it'd probably be for wireless use to improve the performance of the NX during portable mode. Unless Nintendo are concerned about PS4 Neo and Project Scorpio that they decided last minute to make sure the SCD would allow a huge power boost to be comparable to them. Although again I don't expect that because I'm supposed to expect the SCD to be affordable, not to satiate the desires of "gamers" that want comparable graphics go the competition.
The gpu and ram clock would halve but the cpu would stay the same and I expect 6GB of LPDDR4. No extra fast ram.

ggx2ac

The gpu and ram clock would halve but the cpu would stay the same and I expect 6GB of LPDDR4. No extra fast ram.

You should check out Thraktor's post a page or two back. I think it's supposed to be positive news for your 1080p scenario.

oti

Banned
I fully expect NX Zelda will run at the same resolution on your tv as the WiiU. I think graphically they will look identical.

The 3DS doesn't give you that. Why would you expect the NX to do that?

The 3DS is ANCIENT. What's so weird about hoping for stuff to get better? Just give me a battery saver mode or something. Downscale the resolution or whatever to make it last longer than 3h. That's not enough.

cyberheater

So how about this for speculation.

The NX knows when it's running off battery and disables GPU cores so to run at 720p. When docked and running of mains. All cores are enabled and it runs at 1080p.

The NX knows when it's running off battery and disables GPU cores so to run at 720p. When docked and running of mains. All cores are enabled and it runs at 1080p.

People have been speculating this exact thing since the day the Eurogamer article went live.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It wont happen - but i want Boom Blox HD or at least a remaster. Hope NX takes off, maybe EA will bother with Wii VC if there is anything like this.

And please Bamco....give us the Go Vacation successor we deserve, this game was awesome on Wii.

Hilarion

This is the team I'm on. It's still a "dumb dock" in that there's no actual extra features in the dock, the dock just switches the NX from a throttled handheld mode to going at full power.

ggx2ac

I've not seen that speculation. I hope it's true. I would make a lot of sense.

You haven't seen it because it was already done with, along with the dock powering the NX.

But you would have had to be following both previous NX threads that were about 550+ pages long. lol

Pretty much. The more I'm thinking about the dock the more I'm reaching to the conclusion it won't be a dumb stand. Actually, I expect it to be more than a reverse-wiiU situation, in the sense that I expect the dock to have much higher ratio of capabilities vs the HH unit, in comparison to the gamepad-to-base-unit ratio of capabilities in wiiU.
i have been thinking about the role a dock/base would play in a hypothetical "Hybrid" device previous to the Eurogamer rumor. Here's the thread for those interested:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1215343&page=100000

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=208398846

It's interesting how much it ends up impacting the overall functionality of the device depending on how much Nintendo is willing to invest on it.

Blu, since you have a vast amount of knowledge in terms of processors (are you a profesional in the field?) in your opinion what would be the simplest CPU that could satisfy the processing needs for a dock with the type of features and functionality we speak of? Can you also provide a rough stimate on how much such a chip would cost?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yup, it would be interesting. For example, i was thinking about buying games from your phone when you're out and the dock downloads it even if the handheld isn't connected.
That indeed is one example of what I've been thinking as well. Also, if the 720p speculations are correct, I'm not expecting the dock to have a dGPU, but I do expect the HH to run in a higher-clocked mode when docked. In contrast, for the 540p scenario I did expect the dock to provide some help with TV output, as the 540p -> 1080p power difference would be too high for a mere upclock of the HH. But a 720p -> 1080p is much more manageable TDP-wise (not speaking from any thermal engineering background here, just observations of other devices). Of course, another option is also possible - that the docked HH continues to output 720p. While that latter scenario apparently does not offer any res upgrades, it still can be running at an upclocked mode, thus actually looking nicer on the big screen.

diaspora

It'd be shit compared to 3 year old platforms with or without the SCD, there's no scenario where anything Tegra related would be even remotely competitive with what a 7850 could do. I mean the entire conversation about the dock is disappointing since I'm personally more interested in this as a handheld where I think it'll excel rather than as a console where it' obviously a joke.

Banned
DISCLAIMER. Since some people are taking this out of context and running away with it.

im talking about providing substantial/logical/strategical reasons that disaproof the notion of the reveal happening after September. Just that.

The likely scenario is that it will happen in September since it is what insiders (Eurogamer) with sources are claiming.

Can someone explain the reveal date argument?

From an strategic point of view there's more benefit in revealing the device after the holiday shopping season than in September. What's the counter argument here? Haven't seen the first logical reason of why it has to be in September.

i do understand is a possibility, what i don't understand is: "It most happen" sentiment.

Why is everyone so hung up on the size discussion? The higher probability is for the NX to be bigger than past Nintendo traditoinal handhelds. The precedent is already pointed with the DS and 3DS systems.

An XL unfolded is quite a large device. And there hasn't been any reference to Dual Screens or clamshell designs yet in rumors.
The counter argument is if Nintendo wants the attention to themselves they need to reveal it before the annual AAA games start coming out in late October. Once all these big games start coming out the media is focusing on their reviews and sales and such. Suddenly people are talking about Titanfall 2, TLG, Battlefield One, FFXV and Call of Duty and NX is almost on afterthought.

Also, the time between E3 and November is the same between September and the March release.

Maxrunner

It'd be shit compared to 3 year old platforms with or without the SCD, there's no scenario where anything Tegra related would be even remotely competitive with what a 7850 could do. I mean the entire conversation about the dock is disappointing since I'm personally more interested in this as a handheld where I think it'll excel rather than as a console where it' obviously a joke.
So youve seen it? Also why 7850?

diaspora

So youve seen it? Also why 7850?

The 7850 is what's in the almost 3 year old PS4 no? That's why. I'm not sure why I'd need to see the platform to know that tegra isn't capable of being remotely competitive with the XB1 or the PS4, I haven't been to germany but I know that their cows don't fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom