• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
With a screen that big I wonder if Nintendo will try and implement more "touch screen only" modes to make games more portable. The screen's size should allow for plenty of space for buttons and they can probably adjust some gameplay aspects in order to better suite the system.

Bayonetta, for example, lowers the difficulty in order to make it more playable. The game isn't really impacted negatively by this inclusion even if it's mostly useless.

Mario Kart can enable auto drifting instead of manual.

A game like 3D Land/World and captain toad have fairly simple control schemes and are beatable with just two buttons.
There are other options like touch screen only games like Kirby and the Rainbow curse and maybe some indie mobile ports. I imagine a large amount of 3DS games could support this feature and be fine. Visual Novels like Ace Attorney and DanganRonpa can be completed without any buttons and I'm fairly certain 90% of turn based JRPGs can be played very well with a touch screen only. Any game without camera controls can probably fair quite well.
I think this is all fine as long as it doesn't detract from the main experience and giving people more options and not requiring the detachable controllers for on the go play might prove beneficial as it would make the system considerably smaller.

You just made me realize that more than any other Wii U game, I want Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ported to NX. It'd be like playing the game on an HD GamePad, which seems ideal for it.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think it's a sure thing (along with Smash). It's the type of game that would've sold millions more on 3DS, so with hardware that can handle it and that has a more engaging hook, it should get the exposure it deserved the first time. And its service-oriented focus means it'll have a long tail, which Nintendo always values.

It would also be a showcase for NX's enhanced controls and multiplayer focus, so I'm thinking pack-in.

Not so sure about the Splatoon and Mario Kart rumors. Those seem like the type of games they'd just rush out sequels for to capitalize on things.

I think the only way SMM could be fresh again is if they add a lot more content compared to the DLC that the game already got. Super Mario Bros. 2 theme with enemies and exclusive level gimmicks would be pretty cool. Other than that ehhh I don't know.

I do agree with Splatoon and MK8 skipping the port and getting the sequel. It just makes sense!

Emily Rogers recently went on record saying that the Super Mario Maker (& Splatoon) port(s) may not happen thanks to issues with Wii U connectivity.

This too. We'll just have to see (hopefully soon!)

risq_aus

Banned
With a screen that big I wonder if Nintendo will try and implement more "touch screen only" modes to make games more portable. The screen's size should allow for plenty of space for buttons and they can probably adjust some gameplay aspects in order to better suite the system.

I hope not. I don't really dig on screen controls, I don't think they would be very popular.

ggx2ac

Bayonetta, for example, lowers the difficulty in order to make it more playable. The game isn't really impacted negatively by this inclusion even if it's mostly useless.

Doesn't it already have an easy mode and stylus controls anyway?

____

I would have to see if this thing would really be bulky when it's revealed that people would choose to leave the detachable controllers at home and just play touch screen compatible games outside.

Mobile phone games are obvious for this.
Games with basic controls would work fine, expect many turn based JRPGS and SRPGS to have this feature.

If anything, all I see is that this is where 3rd party support from mobile games would shine for the NX.

Doesn't it already have an easy mode and stylus controls anyway?

____

I would have to see if this thing would really be bulky when it's revealed that people would choose to leave the detachable controllers at home and just play touch screen compatible games outside.

Mobile phone games are obvious for this.
Games with basic controls would work fine, expect many turn based JRPGS and SRPGS to have this feature.

If anything, all I see is that this is where 3rd party support from mobile games would shine for the NX.
That's what I said! :p
I hope not. I don't really dig on screen controls, I don't think they would be very popular.
I might of phrased that poorly, I meant being able to play a game using only the touchscreen and not games that can only be played on a touchscreen. Bayonetta, again as an example, can be played with buttons as well as a touch screen mode.

If SMM didn't already exist, it'd be a big deal. I can't see it having much impact otherwise, unless they made a smartphone app as well.
There are plenty of mega hit series by Nintendo that consistently sell well in proportion to how large of an audience they release to. I have no doubt that Mario Maker released near launch on a new system with new features, more content, etc. would perform as well as SSB and Mario Kart.

Emily Rogers recently went on record saying that the Super Mario Maker (& Splatoon) port(s) may not happen thanks to issues with Wii U connectivity.
Emily Rogers said ports were off the table. However, I doubt they are going to abandon those series. They likely are making a new entry instead to work with NX. I wouldn't necessarily take everything Emily Rogers says as gospel either.

A game like 3D Land/World and captain toad have fairly simple control schemes and are beatable with just two buttons.
There are other options like touch screen only games like Kirby and the Rainbow curse and maybe some indie mobile ports. I imagine a large amount of 3DS games could support this feature and be fine. Visual Novels like Ace Attorney and DanganRonpa can be completed without any buttons and I'm fairly certain 90% of turn based JRPGs can be played very well with a touch screen only. Any game without camera controls can probably fair quite well.
I think this is all fine as long as it doesn't detract from the main experience and giving people more options and not requiring the detachable controllers for on the go play might prove beneficial as it would make the system considerably smaller.
I could see them pushing many different playstyles with the NX but developing games in mind to take advantage of different features instead of trying to support every control style. NX can support touch only controls, controller with both attachments, on the go 2 player multiplayer with single controller attachment, Wii U control scheme utilizing controller screen and tv, and Wii control scheme utilizing the controller attachments for motion controls. They could also attract a lot of different third parties to port or develop games given the wide amount of control options. cheaper, downloadable games would be suitable for touch only compatibility.

I have a question. Do games have to take up the full screen? What if the games took up part of the screen and left black bars on the sides and in the black bars could be the virtual buttons-the virtual buttons wouldn't intrude on the game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question. Do games have to take up the full screen? What if the games took up part of the screen and left black bars on the sides and in the black bars could be the virtual buttons-the virtual buttons wouldn't intrude on the game.

That's possible, yes. Think of how you can play DS games on 3DS in 1:1 mode. The black space around the games is still responsive.

On VC games they likely can do that. I don't see any new game doing that because it'll look awful
I could see them pushing many different playstyles with the NX but developing games in mind to take advantage of different features instead of trying to support every control style. NX can support touch only controls, controller with both attachments, on the go 2 player multiplayer with single controller attachment, Wii U control scheme utilizing controller screen and tv, and Wii control scheme utilizing the controller attachments for motion controls. They could also attract a lot of different third parties to port or develop games given the wide amount of control options. cheaper, downloadable games would be suitable for touch only compatibility.
Yeah, there are a lot of new exciting gameplay possibilities and a lot indies or smaller teams can probably experiment with as well as being able to port their games from any platform pretty nicely.

Peterc

I don't understand what you are saying.

The only thing I could get out of that was that if Sony releases a PS5, Nintendo would be screwed with regards to 3rd party support again.

Edit: I still don't get what you're saying. What does the supposed failure of the PSVR have anything to do with Nintendo not making a hybrid?

Sorry, if i wasn't clear, it was late and used my phone to answer something quickly.

What i wanted to say is:

Games cost allot to develop for. 3rd party wants to release games for multiple devices and not just one.

So....

This means when ps5 will be released and maybe a new xbox(pcbox) that the nx is screwed to still get 3rd party support, because 3rd party devs will move on to next gen.

PSVR is at the moment in the same street , 3rd party devs needs create specific games for it, it will be expensive, if it get games, you'll get allot of junk games like the wii did.

Thats my concern about the NX, because it's a midgen device and I believe there will be a ps5 in a few years.

Speely

Banned
If this isn't a cry for help I don't know what is. Modbot shut it down already!

dlWonl0.png

Does the patent cover attaching the infrared controllers to the top and bottom of the device in portrait mode? Could be neat for shmups, puzzle games and visual novels.
You mean the patent that's obviously about the 3DS Circlepad Pro, the controller attachment Nintendo invented and sold that uses infrared to communicate with the base unit?

Peterc

Probably not since it needs to be docked.

I wonder if it's possible for the base station to use AMD instead of nvidea?
Because this device only needs to do calculations.

I don't think it will be the case because nvidea has their shield device, just want to know if it could work.

What worries me is how build quality will be. As far things are now, Nintendo makes TV consoles that are like tanks (resistant, decent build quality), but also does the crappiest possible handhelds.

Unless they start applying some quality control to the core system (if the hybrid theory is confirmed in the end), it's going to be a hot mess if it has all the issues 3ds is known for. Poor quality yellow or purple tinted screens, the circle pad, hinges...

jdstorm

Banned
Sorry, if i wasn't clear, it was late and used my phone to answer something quickly.

What i wanted to say is:

Games cost allot to develop for. 3rd party wants to release games for multiple devices and not just one.

So....

This means when ps5 will be released and maybe a new xbox(pcbox) that the nx is screwed to still get 3rd party support, because 3rd party devs will move on to next gen.

PSVR is at the moment in the same street , 3rd party devs needs create specific games for it, it will be expensive, if it get games, you'll get allot of junk games like the wii did.

Thats my concern about the NX, because it's a midgen device and I believe there will be a ps5 in a few years.

I wouldn't worry. smartphones release new itterations annually yet they support the same software across multiple devices. When the PS5 launches Nintendo should be ready to release an NX-2. Sony and Microsoft will likely also continue to support the Origional Xbox One/PS4 for a year or two with Cross Gen titles. So if the NX can handle current 3rd party games right now. It should be a viable gaming device for the next 4 years.

there is also the possibility of the NX being to pair with an external GPU to boost its power when playing through a TV

E-phonk

Banned
I think it's a sure thing (along with Smash). It's the type of game that would've sold millions more on 3DS, so with hardware that can handle it and that has a more engaging hook, it should get the exposure it deserved the first time. And its service-oriented focus means it'll have a long tail, which Nintendo always values.

Not so sure about the Splatoon and Mario Kart rumors. Those seem like the type of games they'd just rush out sequels for to capitalize on things.

Agree. Smash with all DLC included + new updates & mario maker make sense, splatoon and mario kart need proper sequels imo.

LOL sony going 3rd party conformed, you people have good insider info!!

I'm just saying, for a system we've known about since before e3 and that's supposed to be out in the next couple months, we sure don't know much about it... Besides that it'll be revealed about the same time Nintendo unveil nx

Trollface.jpg

Protome

I just really hope Nintendo don't cut any corners with the screens this time. After the 3DS and the Wii U gamepad it has become a tad worrying.

The_Lump

Banned
...which you're going to need if you want to play it on the go; it seems unlikely you'd be able to fit them all in your pocket, whether detachable or not.

You seem to be under the impression that the system can be played without them when outside; I don't think that's the case. Instead, I'd wage they're detachable primarily for being played at home

I'm 100% under that impression, as are most others by the sounds of it. Maybe not all games will work with touch controls only, but with Nintendo dipping their toes into mobile gaming, i'd bet my hat there will be quite a few.

Also it is definitely not going to be "pocket" sized in the same way the Vita and 3DSXL aren't "pocket" sized. And in the same way a iPhone 6+ isn't pocket sized, or a Galaxy note etc etc...

I'm just saying, for a system we've known about since before e3 and that's supposed to be out in the next couple months, we sure don't know much about it... Besides that it'll be revealed about the same time Nintendo unveil nx

Trollface.jpg

I now wonder if the NX hype has surpassed the Wii U hype? I'm sure it has but the wait for NX is crazy and if nothing happens in SEP, People will lose there mind.

Pittree

Where are my mock-ups, GAF?

I posted an update from the previous ones several pages ago, but no one seemed to care. Maybe it was because it wasn't finished, maybe it was because it was a bad idea. If the thread keeps going I plan to create a new one that factors most of the solid leaks and insider info.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Some people need to move away from the skinny jeans (that's a valid advice in general) so they can get reasonable sized pockets.

I have a Nexus 6 and I never have any issue carrying it around with me. Yes, I know, the buttons and sticks will add more to the length, but let's see the execution before crying about it.

Not that it needs to be pocketable any how in a world where tablets exists.

Jackano

Nintendo should announce the reveal before the Playstation meeting.

No personal offence but it feels like I havn't seen that kind of "Nintendo should (not) do something because sony" since almost a decade. Even then, it was out of subject to think Nintendo looks at what their competitors do when planning a release. Eek, since then, they even skipped E3 conferences!

Just because Steve Jobs once had an iPod in his jeans doesn't mean everything handheld is supposed to fit in a jeans pocket...
Most people keep that shit in a bag/ purse/ backpack or in their jacket.

No personal offence but it feels like I havn't seen that kind of "Nintendo should (not) do something because sony" since almost a decade. Even then, it was out of subject to think Nintendo looks at what their competitors do when planning a release. Eek, since then, they even skipped E3 conferences!

I meant the announcement of their own event. So Nintendo can get mindshare during all this Playstation Neo madness.

Übermatik;215318908 said:
My bet is the 22nd or 29th of September for a reveal (or possible somewhere in between).

So that would mean that Wednesday-Next Wednesday for them to announce it.

I patiently wait

As time goes on I can't help but wonder if they'll just drop a Direct on us instead of a major conference.

It'll be awesome, but my concern is the lack of a reach as it feels like the masses will pay less attention to a Direct than a live conference. I dunno.

E-phonk

Banned
As time goes on I can't help but wonder if they'll just drop a Direct on us instead of a major conference.

It'll be awesome, but my concern is the lack of a reach as it feels like the masses will pay less attention to a Direct than a live conference. I dunno.

It'll get a press event, they need impressions from journalists to hit all the newspapers and blogs.

JoeM86

Na, there will be a press event for sure.

Maybe the public reveal will be a Direct, but there will definitely be a live event for the press. Whether they stream it or not is irrelevant.

The idea of a live event being noticed more by public than a Direct is weird though. Directs have lots of reach (though they needs to bring it back) and for people at home, there's zero differenc

I absolutely expect them to for anything that isn't controls intensive. I quite like the idea of the tablet section having its own shoulder buttons as shown in a recent patent application, that alone would go a long way to make some game styles more viable using just the tablet.

Na, there will be a press event for sure.

Maybe the public reveal will be a Direct, but there will definitely be a live event for the press. Whether they stream it or not is irrelevant.

The idea of a live event being noticed more by public than a Direct is weird though. Directs have lots of reach (though they needs to bring it back) and for people at home, there's zero differenc

Yeah, but I can't shake the feeling that folks are more interested and easily impressed by a big stage showcase with a professional speaker addressing real people in an audience than even the same person just talking to a camera in a pre-recorded video, you know?

JoeM86

Yeah, but I can't shake the feeling that folks are more interested and easily impressed by a big stage showcase with a professional speaker addressing real people in an audience than even the same person just talking to a camera in a pre-recorded video, you know?

Yeah, I love the pauses for fake applause and such :p

marmoka

Banned
I think that the console will be revealed in a Direct by the end of the month, announcing it one week before. Otherwise the conference should have been revealed by now. It's taking too long.

Damm it Ninty!!

Jackano

I meant the announcement of their own event. So Nintendo can get mindshare during all this Playstation Neo madness.
I know what you meant, and this is something they usually stay in their bubble and don't look at what other do and plan their thing independently.

Maybe they will be surprisingly modern this time around. Like being in a full internet buzz mode, dropping a fun introduction video during less than 2:20 minutes and aiming for a general buzz.
And hours/days/weeks after that, addressing more precise topics like the actual events in a string of Directs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom