• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntMurda

I think people are obsessed too much with this dock thing.
I believe the eg rumor but they were talking about an old prototype and it's possible that this dock was made just to have a single unit for both handheld and big screen gaming at the same time for developers.
It's more likely that Nintendo releases an home version of the nx than a random dock that would probably be to expensive to sell it individually anyway.

This is actually very logical. I'm still worried though.

wrowa

Who? Said what about BotW? WHERE!?

Pre-E3 stuff, apparently. Don't know if there was more to it than quoted there, sounds really vague.

Don't know what he said about BoTW, but in 2014 he correctly hinted at another a zelda remaster
According to the IGN article on Tantalus that was published earlier today, talks between Nintendo and Tantalus about remastering Twilight Princess started in 2013. So, it sounds reasonable that Nintendo sat on it for quite a while (similar to Majora's Mask 3D which seems to have been completed a year prior to release).

Edit: Wait, you edited your post between the time I read your post and hit quote. :D Now the context is gone.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215172600&postcount=1623

As reported by daakusedo, Nico A. said he heard of the event being "around September 20th". Well, it won't take that long to verify if he heard correctly: an event happening around that date should mean press invites going during this week. That is, if it's a normal press event; if it's a Digital Event with no concurrent press event, no need for press invites.

Omg it can't be real. NX announcement would be this week to press event just like I called it since Fall is around the 22nd if Nintendo is having something for the press.

And Retro Studios making two games?? Metroid Prime 4 has to be one. The other one I'm hoping is a new IP

Oops he said two existing IPs. If true I would expect Metroid Prime 4 and hopefully Star Tropics.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Pre-E3 stuff, apparently. Don't know if there was more to it than quoted there, sounds really vague.

According to the IGN article on Tantalus that was published earlier today, talks between Nintendo and Tantalus about remastering Twilight Princess started in 2013. So, it sounds reasonable that Nintendo sat on it for quite a while (similar to Majora's Mask 3D which seems to have been completed a year prior to release).

Edit: Wait, you edited your post between the time I read your post and hit quote. :D Now the context is gone.

Sounds like he could actually know things. Any video for the September 20th thing?

TLZ

Banned
I wonder how much this thing will weigh. The WiiU controller is already pretty heavy, now imagine an actual gaming device being in there.

Heavy? The thing is so perfectly light for it's size even my 4 year old daughter prefers gaming on it.

Banned
I believe the eg rumor but they were talking about an old prototype and it's possible that this dock was made just to have a single unit for both handheld and big screen gaming at the same time for developers.
It's more likely that Nintendo releases an home version of the nx than a random dock that would probably be to expensive to sell it individually anyway.
I'd be down with that.

As long as they play the same games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

There's also this that daakusedo remembered from back then

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215175078&postcount=1656

Also fun stuff, because I found it anecdotal, i didn't report when he said they were making Link "Legolas", so when I saw that shield surfing, I was like damn...

Also, going by ZeldaInformer, it seems he correctly predicted ORAS...when and how (if he said it on Twitter, good fucking luck in finding it, lol ).

Jackano

I can definitely see Tantalus doing Skyward Sword HD. Maybe not immediately, bc BotW reasons.
But that would be an unsurprising move giving Nintendo's past with studios like Grezzo who made OoT3D, then FSAE as a side project, and then MM3D.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I can definitely see Tantalus doing Skyward Sword HD. Maybe not immediately, bc BotW reasons.
But that would be an unsurprising move giving Nintendo's past with studios like Grezzo who made OoT3D, then FSAE as a side project, and then MM3D.

If Skyward Sword HD happens...I wonder if Tantalus will go through the full Grezzo-way and then develop a brand new IP for Nintendo partially based on their former work on Zelda remasters :p

Rodin

70 people on two existing IPs? Fucking Donkey Kong again and support on the new Mario Kart?

I'd love the former btw, but i call bullshit

AntMurda

If Skyward Sword HD happens...I wonder if Tantalus will go through the full Grezzo-way and then develop a brand new IP for Nintendo partially based on their former work on Zelda remasters :p

That's a huge fantastical hypothetical. Tantalus doesn't have a veteran auteur running the company, nor any track record of good original games. Let them do remasters for now.

AntMurda

70 people on two existing IPs? Fucking Donkey Kong again and support on the new Mario Kart?

A support role and a game (that had help from another developer) about a year apart. That's not even two teams.

maxcriden

Omg it can't be real. NX announcement would be this week to press event just like I called it since Fall is around the 22nd if Nintendo is having something for the press.

And Retro Studios making two games?? Metroid Prime 4 has to be one. The other one I'm hoping is a new IP

Oops he said two existing IPs. If true I would expect Metroid Prime 4 and hopefully Star Tropics.

FWIW, the link says "while we're at it, also said retro studio has two projects and both are from existing series..."

wrowa

Unlikely. Why would Eurogamer's sources describe the device as a hybrid when the dock was only meant to be for developers? The dock having additional processing power wasn't part of the rumor anyway, it could be nothing but a cheap piece of plastic with the most rudimentary hardware to support USB, charging and HDMI output.

If they wanted developers to be able to play their games on a TV/monitor for development purposes, they could just add HDMI to the dev kit instead of taking the unnecessary step of adding a dock to it.

phanphare

Banned

don't burst my bubble man. retro needs to finish that DKC trilogy. fucking Metroid got one, it's DK's turn now.

FWIW, the link says "while we're at it, also said retro studio has two projects and both are from existing series..."
Yeah, that's why I said Metroid Prime 4 and Star Tropics. Star Tropics has two games. If they don't do that I could see them doing F-Zero or if they do DKC I would love a 3D DK game from them.

How do you know for sure Retro only has 70 people?

E-phonk

Banned

Yeah, I assumed it was twilight princess, but in the article i linked for they didn't know of Majora's Mask 3D at that time.

Maybe one is finally Diddy Kong Racing 2 as it was long rumored to be by Monster with assistance from Retro.

Retro could be the one building the game and will finally get it out the door. Especially with Monster now busy with that Nascar game.

ggx2ac

Just letting you guys know. HappyNintendoFan is getting desperate, to find anything that will link DMP to the NX. I had enough of his shit.

Even SuperMetalDave/Trev is no longer believing him by thinking now that there will only be one vendor for NX and that is AMD for both Handheld and Console.

CrBsfjxUAAQ7ein.jpg

CrBsd_LVMAAzbH1.jpg

This isn't the first time. I already went off at him yesterday, and another guy went off at him during the weekend. He's pretty much lying at this point to try to convince people that the DMP M3000 will be powering an NX Handheld.

I am not tolerating that shit. I'm exposing it here so you guys are aware of how far he is going with this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As much as i enjoy some Simspons, let's try not to get this thread locked within 2 or 3 days of posting. Already some threadwhiners are asking for a lock.

These kinds of threads exist to keep the noisy kids off the streets and contained in one crazy thread rather than multiple. It'll get shut down whenever the next rumour kicks off, or when actual news is announced.

Rodin

don't burst my bubble man. retro needs to finish that DKC trilogy. fucking Metroid got one, it's DK's turn now.

I want that too, especially after TF (which i consider to be the best 2D platform of all time), but i also think they should make a different game before going back to that.

Yeah, that's why I said Metroid Prime 4 and Star Tropics. Star Tropics has two games. If they don't do that I could see them doing F-Zero or if they do DKC I would love a 3D DK game from them.

How do you know for sure Retro only has 70 people?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240539
* Retro Studios - 70+ Employees
Just letting you guys know. HappyNintendoFan is getting desperate, to find anything that will link DMP to the NX. I had enough of his shit.

Even SuperMetalDave/Trev is no longer believing him by thinking now that there will only be one vendor for NX and that is AMD for both Handheld and Console.

This isn't the first time. I already went off at him yesterday, and another guy went off at him during the weekend. He's pretty much lying at this point to try to convince people that the DMP M3000 will be powering an NX Handheld.

I am not tolerating that shit. I'm exposing it here so you guys are aware of how far he is going with this.
Jesus lol, that's what happens when trolling too much.

Just ignore him.

AntMurda

Maybe one is finally Diddy Kong Racing 2 as it was long rumored to be by Monster with assistance from Retro.

Retro could be the one building the game and will finally get it out the door. Especially with Monster now busy with that Nascar game.

Monster was working on NASCAR since at least January 2015, while finishing up ports for Nintendo. That game has not been in development if it ever existed.

maxcriden

Ooh, sorry, totally missed that in your post. I think I read it before the edit and didn't see it after.

ggx2ac

Jesus fuck lol, that's what happens when trolling too much.

Just ignore him.

Remember, this is the same guy who says we're foolish for believing Eurogamer's Rumour report. So somehow he is supposed to be more credible? Don't make me laugh.

Rodin

Remember, this is the same guy who says we're foolish for believing Eurogamer's Rumour report. So somehow he is supposed to be more credible? Don't make me laugh.

Have you read my post or a different one? XD

i said ignore that troll. I've been saying this since his first tweet.

I'm probably way too late to this but earlier in the thread the levels of anti-WUST were utterly fascinating.

We had people doubting a Tegra X1 even downclocked could be more powerful than a Wii U, we had people doubting the dock even exists in a thread in which "dock" appears in the title, we had people calling the Wii a garbage console, and we had people saying downclocking while portable and clocking at a higher speed (not necessarily full speed) while docked is "nonsense" or a "pipe dream" when every battery powered consumer electronic device does that today.

Reasonable estimates put a Pascal based NX at somewhere between 300 and 600 GFlops in portable mode, and even then flops are not the best indication of power levels especially when considering nVidia hardware performs better than AMD hardware in PC scenarios for a lot of modern game engines. As rumored it should definitely be possible to get AAA ports, but as people often forget Nintendo likely wouldn't get these ports even if the console was 10x more powerful than Scorpio.

We also have half precision performance on Pascal Tegras which essentially doubles the GFlop number such that UE4 games which make heavy use of FP16 precision could run at a level even better than Xbone, and this is before we take into account the possibility of docked performance changes.

Now, virtually none of that is guaranteed or even that likely but the people who dismiss it as nonsense or wishful thinking are absolutely wrong based on actual analysis by experts here.

Basically my point is the people who take these rumors to mean the NX will be terrible as a home console because Nintendo hates us all or are incompetent are on the ridiculous side of the discussion here. Most of those people probably left this thread a dozen pages ago though so I'm probably talking to no one.

cacildo

Everybody loves retro
Everybody loves donkey kong omg best game ever
Except when retro announces a new Donkey Kong game everybody gets mad. "Fucking Donkey Kong!"

Not me. I always hated donkey kong. I got Tropical Freeze for free on club nintendo - because there was nothing else i didnt had at the time - and only played it twice

Ooh, sorry, totally missed that in your post. I think I read it before the edit and didn't see it after.
Yeah. Maybe I'm being too optimistic because they are humans after all. If there were two game it'd probably be one big game and one smaller game.

Because Tropical Freeze was done since late 2012. At this point they're closing in on 4 years on working on a new game. That's a lot a lot of time to have a new game and the NX doesn't release until March. That gives Retro Studios about 4.5 years of working on a new game.

I meant 2013 which gives them 3.5 years to working on a new game by the time the NX launches.

L Thammy

Regardless of what the NX is or isn't, I think one important thing is that it needs to not be as slapdash as the Wii U was on launch. I mean, the system was slow, it was crashing constantly. And if I'm remembering right, the thing was cracked right away because the developers did some ridiculous thing, like leaving the source code on the retail device in plain text. It was just really obvious that Nintendo rushed the system out, and it was unpleasant whether you have a tech fetish or not.

Rodin

Uhm guys i quoted shikamaru's post as an answer to the guy who asked me how i knew that Retro had 70 employees. He has nothing to do with happynintendofan lol

It's okay, I said I had enough of his shit. So I blocked him now. There was evidence this time for it.
Yeah you made the right call now. I simply ignored him from the beginning, it was just too obvious why he was doing that.

Everybody loves retro
Everybody loves donkey kong omg best game ever
Except when retro announces a new Donkey Kong game everybody gets mad. "Fucking Donkey Kong!"

Not me. I always hated donkey kong. I got Tropical Freeze for free on club nintendo - because there was nothing else i didnt had at the time - and only played it twice

I was joking about "fucking", should be obvious if you read the spoiler xd

I fucking loved TF.

AGoodODST

20th of September doesn't seem to far fetched. When was the Wii U event thing again?

If Retro is working on two projects, one better be fucking Donkey Kong. Actually DK3 at launch would be awesome.

Because Tropical Freeze was done since late 2012. At this point they're closing in on 4 years on working on a new game. That's a lot a lot of time to have a new game and the NX doesn't release until March. That gives Retro Studios about 4.5 years of working on a new game.
Tropical Freeze was done in November 2013.

ozfunghi

It would be hilarious though, should Nintendo kick Nvidia once again. Maybe all the info we got about Nvidia were merely based on the devkits.

So... just to be safe, anybody know the specs of this m3000 GPU by DMP?

TLZ

Banned
No one cares what Reggie says; show me someone from Japan that said it and I will take it seriously. Plus you didn't address how a handheld with TV out will be hard for Nintendo to develop for.

Erm.. Reginald "Reggie" Fils-Aimé is the president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America. How official do you want this to get? You should take what he says seriously more than some random people on twitter.

People keep saying this but I'm failing to understand why. How is a console superior to this rumored NX concept with a dock that could theoretically be upgraded? Am I missing something?

Because home console consumers don't care about the portable part and don't see any value in the forced portable part. Give them the box and a controller and they're happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom