• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystify

Zero complaints from me. Tropical Freeze was fantastic and needs a closing game in the trilogy, while Mario Kart is a system-seller, something the NX needs right away.

I personally hope we will get MK8 remaster (game + all DLC) on NX and then a new MK in a few years.

While I also loved DKCR:TF, lots of people would rather prefer something new from Retro. Something that can push people to buy the NX.

Azoo

Neo Member
Expecting Metroid and Donkey Kong Returns 3, but wouldn't be surprised if it's more underwhelming than either.

F-Zero would be amazing under Retro, but isn't Shin'en (the guys behind Fast Racing NEO) working with Nintendo on something right now? I could've swore there was a recent interview about a project they're collaborating on, and they seemed a little antsy to talk about it.

Anth0ny

Oh please, you're gonna lose your mind just like the rest of us when the reveal is announced.

that wasn't the case with the wii u reveal ;)

my official expectations:

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u
-dock doesn't increase performance, just spits the image out onto a tv

in other words, a new nintendo handheld that is a huge jump from the 3ds. with a ton of first party support. sounds ok to me.

VLQ

Expecting Metroid and Donkey Kong Returns 3, but wouldn't be surprised if it's more underwhelming than either.

F-Zero would be amazing under Retro, but isn't Shin'en (the guys behind Fast Racing NEO) working with Nintendo on something right now? I could've swore there was a recent interview about a project they're collaborating on, and they seemed a little antsy to talk about it.

They working on game for nintendo platform, not with Nintendo

E-phonk

Banned
I personally hope we will get MK8 remaster (game + all DLC) on NX and then a new MK in a few years.

While I also loved DKCR:TF, lots of people would rather prefer something new from Retro. Something that can push people to buy the NX.
Mario Kart is the definition of a system seller, it's one of their most important titles and they'd want it out sooner rather than later in the lifetime of NX.
Especially with the DLC plans they can use these days to prolongue the life of the title.

I would expect Mario Kart 9 in year 1

Anth0ny

after the success of remasters this gen, I think they'd be crazy not to put out some of the wii u's greatest hits w/ DLC to fill in some of those release gaps. MK8 and Smash especially.

Azoo

Neo Member
They working on game for nintendo platform, not with Nintendo

It's hard to tell if they mean just that or not. Gonna quote it from here for other people to see:

What would you like to do after Fast Racing Neo?

The problem is I can’t talk about it. I’d really like to talk about it, but if I say anything…. let me put it this way: we’re very happy to work with Nintendo, we’ll keep doing it and our next project will be with them. We’re also carrying out new experiments and creating new prototypes, but I can’t talk about this either, because they’re so deep in their initial stage that there would be no point talking about it now.

Them just making a game for their platform sounds the most likely, but it's hard for me to lock that in as my final answer.

asagami_

Banned

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

in other words, a new nintendo handheld that is a huge jump from the 3ds. with a ton of first party support. sounds ok to me.

So almost a Vita?I don't like the idea, it's quite possible the NX may be as powerful as an Xbox One or al least be fairly superior to Wii U, but I can see the it have a 540p screen to the handheld mode. Regarding the TV mode, maybe the console is underclocked as handheld, but the dock unlock its capatibilities and maybe overclocked it. Maybe that thing works as cooler and to unlock the TV mode lol

Dystify

It's hard to tell if they mean just that or not. Gonna quote it from here for other people to see:

Them just making a game for their platform sounds the most likely, but it's hard for me to lock that in as my final answer.

Shin'en is too small for a full F-Zero game. They are most likely working on a new game that'll release on NX. He's saying he can't reveal more about the game because it's way too early into development. Working with Nintendo also does not mean that they're working on a Nintendo IP.

Mario Kart is the definition of a system seller, it's one of their most important titles and they'd want it out sooner rather than later in the lifetime of NX.
Especially with the DLC plans they can use these days to prolongue the life of the title.

I would expect Mario Kart 9 in year 1

Yeah, Mario Kart is important, but Mario Kart 8 came out only 2 years ago and lots of people were still working on the DLC for it for quite some time, which is why I believe a completely new game, even if it's at the end of 2017 seems unlikely for now.

Mario Kart 8 remaster on NX, while not brand new, would still be a very good to sell some systems. Tons of potential NX buyers haven't played it on Wii U.

Again, I hope for a MK8 remaster near launch of NX, and then MK9 in 2018 or maybe even in 2019, depending on how different the new game is compared to MK8. Is this too unreasonable of a prediction?

They worked on it until it was released, it was delayed for extra polish.
They later straight up said development wrapped up in November. The "polish" thing was just the convenient excuse for the delay at the time. Nintendo does this a lot for scheduling reasons.

El Topo

Übermatik;215330778 said:
If RETRO are making a Metroid game I'm going to shit myself in excitement. And I'll live stream it.

I'll keep this post in mind. On second thought, seeing someone shit himself in excitement is something I don't want to watch.

E-phonk

Banned
Yeah, Mario Kart is important. Mario Kart 8 came only out 2 years ago and lots of people were still working on the DLC for it for quite some time, which is why I believe a completely new game, even if it's at the end of 2017 seems unlikely for now.

Mario Kart 8 remaster on NX, while not brand new, would still be a very good to sell some systems. Tons of potential NX buyers haven't played it on Wii U.

Again, I hope for a MK8 remaster near launch of NX, and then MK9 in 2018 or maybe even in 2019. Is this too unreasonable of a prediction?

I personally don't believe in it, it goes against their "once per generation" idea they have been following with mario kart. They need the excitement of a NEW Mario Kart 9. And Holiday 2017 would give the them 3.5 years between releases to make the next one. March 2018 would even give them 4.
I also don't think the teams working on the DLC were that big, they mostly needed artists and level/track designers, as the coding/programming part was already done.
I'm actually surprised they didn't re-use the mario kart 8 engine for another racing game, as it seemed to work well in different kind of courses/speeds, even in multiplayer.

I think for smash the situation is different, in that I think nintendo wants to give Sakurai the time and staff to make another game. Releasing a "smash for NX" definitive edition seems like it would keep the fans happy for the time being while giving sakurai some space.
If they do patches/fighters that are NX exclusive most of the hardcore smash scene will buy that version again anyways.

While ports can be a good way to fill their schedule, they have to be carefull not to do too many ports, that's why I would assume they will still be sparse.
Smash and mario maker for example seem ok titles, maybe even pokken, but not splatoon or mario kart as those franchises need new content/gameplay/game modes to excite the nintendo fanbase.

Well, the Mario Kart teams manages to push out a new Mario Kart every 3 years. But to be fair, one is always a portable one. But I think within 3 years a MK9 in late 2017 or early 2018 is possibly. Probably they could reuse a lot of the assets or even the engine from MK8 for a successor and just make something better then just a MK8 remaster.

Also in the sense of marketing a MK8 remaster might hurt NX, if they would push out too many Wii U Ports for the system. Otherwise it will get the stigma with a console with a lot of warm upped stuff.

Agree

Clessidor

Yeah, Mario Kart is important. Mario Kart 8 came only out 2 years ago and lots of people were still working on the DLC for it for quite some time, which is why I believe a completely new game, even if it's at the end of 2017 seems unlikely for now.

Again, I hope for a MK8 remaster near launch of NX, and then MK9 in 2018 or maybe even in 2019. Is this too unreasonable of a prediction?
Well, the Mario Kart teams manages to push out a new Mario Kart every 3 years. But to be fair, one is always a portable one. But I think within 3 years a MK9 in late 2017 or early 2018 is possibly. Probably they could reuse a lot of the assets or even the engine from MK8 for a successor and just make something better then just a MK8 remaster.

Also in the sense of marketing a MK8 remaster might hurt NX, if they would push out too many Wii U Ports for the system. Otherwise it will get the stigma with a console with a lot of warm upped stuff.

Dystify

Okay, what you guys are saying makes sense. I need to get it in my head that they still have easily one more year at least to finish another Mario Kart. To me it's like NX release is right around the corner, when in reality it's still more than half a year until March.

Reusing the engine of MK8 makes a lot of sense, even when MK9 probably won't look exactly the same as MK8.

maxcriden

I doubt that. They had to get help from Monster Games to do DKCTF. Nintendo doesn't seem to want to expand the company for some reason, despite their games reaching critical acclaim.

I see your point, but the difference in scale between them working on two smaller games or one larger and one much smaller game could be accounted for by them getting assistance on their own game again.

maxcriden

There can be a lot of reasons why a team of 70 is better than a team of 200 people though. But I agree that I wouldn't expect two full fledged games from Retro, although it's possible they contributed to another project that isn't theirs.

For those hoping for a new metroid, know that there were rumours some time ago that Retro and Tanabe had some internal problems/struggles. If that rumour has any truth to it, and Sakamoto is working closely together with retro it's possible their new IP will not be what most people expect.

I thought the rumor was well and thoroughly debunked?

I absolutely expect them to for anything that isn't controls intensive. I quite like the idea of the tablet section having its own shoulder buttons as shown in a recent patent application, that alone would go a long way to make some game styles more viable using just the tablet.
Which patent has a shoulder button included? That would make games work considerably better. Could be like the 3DS Boat where the right trigger is the system's original while ZR is attached.
Triggers can help Mario by having it a dedicated run button or MK allowing for drifts, etc while not having triggers would make it hard to map some games

This is likely the NX Fast Racing Neo port they were teasing on twitter. (pre-wii u version launch)

I can't believe this thread is still going at the clip that it is. Any worthwhile discussion at this point or should I request to have it closed? I feel like I created a monster.

marmoka

Banned
The next Nintendo console will be called...

Nintendo INOUT

Play IN & OUT

Now you can play everywhere.

everything that matches with reality is just coincidence

E-phonk

Banned
I thought the rumor was well and thoroughly debunked?

Ok,found the neogaf thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193877&page=6

So shockingAlberto says he heard something similar, while Shikamaru Ninja debunks the part where they had internal problems and it's a normal shift in producers. I'd say that still means Tanabe is currently likely not working with Retro as a producer (his comments in USGamer), and thus Retro is likely not working on metroid.

Plum

I can't believe this thread is still going at the clip that it is. Any worthwhile discussion at this point or should I request to have it closed? I feel like I created a monster.

I think we need a dedicated NX Speculation OT. There's always going to be a thread about it until Nintendo finally announces the damn thing.

maxcriden

Ok,found the neogaf thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193877&page=6

So shockingAlberto says he heard something similar, while Shikamaru Ninja debunks the part where they had internal problems and it's a normal shift in producers. I'd say that still means Tanabe is currently likely not working with Retro as a producer (his comments in USGamer), and thus Retro is likely not working on metroid.

Thanks for looking into that. I think your conclusion is sound whether drama occurred or not. I think there's no issue with whoever Nintendo wants working on Metroid. Watch NLG make Prime IV and knock it out of the park. 😂

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

Just for the record, a TX1, even downclocked quite a lot would still be way more powerful than what's in the Wii U. Even if you don't believe the Eurogamer report (or think that plans can change) we still have Matt saying that it will not be weaker than the Wii U.

But you are welcome to get your expectations as low as possible if that's how you prevent disappointment. Definitely not a bad strategy when it comes to Nintendo.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So on the real if Nintendo really is gonna have a live event sooner rather than later invites would have to realistically go out before the end of this week correct?

diaspora

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

I agree with this somewhat. Though I think that 720p is feasible, I doubt the games will look much better if at all compared to the Wii U's current output irrespective of the X1's nominal performance difference over the Wii U. Also I'd agree that the dock isn't going to do anything more than display to TV, charge the device, and let you plug in/connect to controllers.

People anticipating anything even remotely approaching the XB1/PS4's current output are pants-on-head crazy.

maxcriden

So on the real if Nintendo really is gonna have a live event sooner rather than later invites would have to realistically go out before the end of this week correct?

Pretty much, if the event is within a few weeks of now. But a live event may be live for the press only and digital for the rest of us.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

Weaker than Wii U with a minimum Tegra X1 and LCGeek already confirming it had a better CPU than current systems? I don't even see how that's possible.

I don't want remasters from Nintendo. I want their resources to be committed exclusively to new games and new experiences. Splatoon and Pushmo were big steps in the right direction. Nintendo should look to grow their stable and supplement their iconic roster with fresh additions, not putting a polish on classics and re-selling them in hopes of pushing systems.

I agree with this somewhat. Though I think that 720p is feasible, I doubt the games will look much better if at all compared to the Wii U's current output irrespective of the X1's nominal performance difference over the Wii U. Also I'd agree that the dock isn't going to do anything more than display to TV, charge the device, and let you plug in/connect to controllers.

People anticipating anything even remotely approaching the XB1/PS4's current output are pants-on-head crazy.

I'd actually argue that the position you are taking is much crazier than that of people who think this will be closer to XB1 than Wii U (assuming the Eurogamer leak is true).

For starters, can you explain to me how a TX1 in a devkit can possibly be considered weaker than a Wii U? I'm talking specifics- give me a specific clock speed which gives you performance that you'd consider weaker than the Wii U, and the power consumption at that speed. Then we can hopefully have an actual discussion about the possibilities rather than assuming the worst as usual.

Note- this is even before we consider the heavily rumored Pascal based Tegra chip which can get much better performance per watt.

Weaker than Wii U with a minimum Tegra X1 and LCGeek already confirming it had a better CPU than current systems? I don't even see how that's possible.

^ Pretty much this.

MCN

Banned

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

My official expectations:

- CPU: Custom 8-bit Sharp LR35902 core at 4.19 MHz
- RAM: 8 kB internal S-RAM
- VRAM: 8 kB internal
- Sound: 2 pulse wave generators, 1 PCM 4-bit wave sample (64 4-bit samples played in 1×64 bank or 2×32 bank) channel, 1 noise generator
- Screen resolution 160 × 144
- 30 built in games including Super Mario Land, Tetris and Link's Awakening

Nintendo Mini Game Boy Classic - Holiday 2017.

MacTag

Banned
It won't be weaker than Wii U. Even with mobile parts we're looking at a more capable CPU, more modern GPU and undoubtedly more memory at a baseline.

It won't be sending a 540p image to your TV either. This isn't a Vita.

My official expectations:

- CPU: Custom 8-bit Sharp LR35902 core at 4.19 MHz
- RAM: 8 kB internal S-RAM
- VRAM: 8 kB internal
- Sound: 2 pulse wave generators, 1 PCM 4-bit wave sample (64 4-bit samples played in 1×64 bank or 2×32 bank) channel, 1 noise generator
- Screen resolution 160 × 144
- 30 built in games including Super Mario Land, Tetris and Link's Awakening

Nintendo Mini Game Boy Classic - Holiday 2017.

Where can I buy this?

diaspora

I'd actually argue that the position you are taking is much crazier than that of people who think this will be closer to XB1 than Wii U (assuming the Eurogamer leak is true).

For starters, can you explain to me how a TX1 in a devkit can possibly be considered weaker than a Wii U? I'm talking specifics- give me a specific clock speed which gives you performance that you'd consider weaker than the Wii U, and the power consumption at that speed. Then we can hopefully have an actual discussion about the possibilities rather than assuming the worst as usual.

Note- this is even before we consider the heavily rumored Pascal based Tegra chip which can get much better performance per watt.

^ Pretty much this.

I didn't say it'd be weaker than the Wii U, only that the performance difference isn't going to realize software that looks appreciably better than the Wii U's output and that it's going to look obviously worse than current gen output right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom