• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-phonk

Banned
If the reveal happens in sept, I'll expect it somewhere between 16 and 21sept.

Press events are rarely on weekends. They are held during work hours in the week (10.00 - 16.00) with optional after events, often not on fridays either.
So 19-22sep seems a proper estimate if it's late september.

KingBroly

Banned
Erm.. Reginald "Reggie" Fils-Aimé is the president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America. How official do you want this to get? You should take what he says seriously more than some random people on twitter.

Because home console consumers don't care about the portable part and don't see any value in the forced portable part. Give them the box and a controller and they're happy.

Reggie's the Chief Executive Officer of NOA now.

ggx2ac

It would be hilarious though, should Nintendo kick Nvidia once again. Maybe all the info we got about Nvidia were merely based on the devkits.

So... just to be safe, anybody know the specs of this m3000 GPU by DMP?

It should be a 28nm chip that can theoretically go from 200-800GFLOPS according to a post I saw on beyond3D here.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1937790/

It doesn't make sense for a 20nm Tegra X1 to be some kind of placeholder as those stupid "rumours" mentioned from HappyNintendoFan. It doesn't make sense for a 28nm chip to end up being more efficient in power and power consumption compared to a 20nm Tegra X1.

Jackano

Erm.. Reginald "Reggie" Fils-Aimé is the president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America. How official do you want this to get? You should take what he says seriously more than some random people on twitter.

Actually Reggie is making many blank PR talk, and that's IMO valid up until now, but I will change my mind about this in the upcoming weeks.
He's executive officer now in the new global organisation, and I will tend to believe him more since he'll have more insight from Japan because of this new position.

ggx2ac

You seem a tad too invested in this.

lol

You're right, I could be doing better things with my time since that stuff didn't really take much effort.

The reason why it was so annoying was that... guy kept playing the victim card and was accusing me of being sarcastic to him. Quite the stupidest shit I've heard. So obviously I went off at him for not being able to take criticism and that when he gets called out for his bullshit, he just runs.

As you can see now. He's just some troll.

As I said, I can spend my time now doing other things instead of being invested in that.

TLZ

Banned
Would anyone like to counter my argument in the post I made earlier up the current page?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215285766

I don't want to feel like I hit the nail on the head and got you a girl who can do both just yet.

There was definitely people in the last couple of pages that aren't convinced of the NX being a hybrid, it shouldn't be too hard to give a rebuttal to my argument that instead the NX is going to become a separate handheld and console again.

I'm not in the mood for the passive argument of, "Let's just wait until the NX is revealed."

Why are you looking for arguments? Your post doesn't make any sense.

You keep banging on this AMD/ARM drum again and again. Just let it go and let people speculate whatever they want. It's not blasphemy. It's nice to have different opinions on what the NX may be. It's fun. Don't be annoying.

I predict a potato runs the NX. Problem?

Not to go off topic, but I feel like for the position Reggie holds he doesn't come off as one with all his PR speak. It's just too damn much. He's at the top. He should be a person to whenever he speaks a new announcement comes out of his mouth. PR speak should come from somebody lower at Nintendo of America.

wrowa

Retro is a weird case. DKC Returns was incredibly successful, but Tropical Freeze didn't really do anything for the Wii U (since it was received as "just another platformer" on a console that had too few of everything but plaformers). So, do you give them another Donkey Kong game which in all likelihood will sell decently to great but won't help pushing the platform if needed or do you give them something different that might not be a surefire hit, but helps diversifying the platform's line up?

georly

Just letting you guys know. HappyNintendoFan is getting desperate, to find anything that will link DMP to the NX. I had enough of his shit.

Even SuperMetalDave/Trev is no longer believing him by thinking now that there will only be one vendor for NX and that is AMD for both Handheld and Console.

This isn't the first time. I already went off at him yesterday, and another guy went off at him during the weekend. He's pretty much lying at this point to try to convince people that the DMP M3000 will be powering an NX Handheld.

I am not tolerating that shit. I'm exposing it here so you guys are aware of how far he is going with this.

lol

You're right, I could be doing better things with my time since that stuff didn't really take much effort.

The reason why it was so annoying was that... guy kept playing the victim card and was accusing me of being sarcastic to him. Quite the stupidest shit I've heard. So obviously I went off at him for not being able to take criticism and that when he gets called out for his bullshit, he just runs.

As you can see now. He's just some troll.

As I said, I can spend my time now doing other things instead of being invested in that.

Hey look, he called me sarcastic, too. Shame I didn't use sarcasm.

I mean... here's my twitter conversation with him:

Cq0PQG5WcAkqkFT.jpg

Cq0PQ2pXgAA2WE_.jpg

When saying that eurogamer's info comes from inside sources vs speculation, he had this to say:

So please, no-one take what he says as fact, he all-but openly admits to it being his speculation and that it's 'for fun' to 'get people excited' about nx.

That's all these AMD/powerful console 'truthers' are doing.

They're basically the same people who want nintendo to just go third party (so they don't have to buy more than one console), but knowing that's not gonna happen soon (because nintendo is confirmed to be making NX), they're settling for the next best thing: Hoping nintendo makes a console powerful enough to play all their favorite games in one place.

I'm not sure WHY they want this 'one console' ecosystem, but it's clearly what they want. Money, convenience, I dunno, but it's evident that's all they want and they don't know how to get there.

cacildo

I was joking about "fucking", should be obvious if you read the spoiler xd

I fucking loved TF.

I understand. But i really wasnt talking about you. I read a lot of praise for DK 2d games, but if retro announce a new one people will riot. Its pretty funny when you think about it

Im at least honest about it: i like 3d games a lot more than 2d ones. I feel its really dissapointing when you expect a good studio to release a huge epic game and they come out with a 2d platformer in which you need to collect 8 puzzle pieces and 4 letters in every stage

Retro is a weird case. DKC Returns was incredibly successful, but Tropical Freeze didn't really do anything for the Wii U (since it was received as "just another platformer" on a console that had too few of everything but plaformers). So, do you give them another Donkey Kong game which in all likelihood will sell decently to great but won't help pushing the platform if needed or do you give them something different that might not be a surefire hit, but helps diversifying the platforms line up?

After getting Metroid Prime to run in Dolphin at 1080p... I NEED another Metroid game from Retro. Sure many of the leads from Prime aren't at Retro anymore, but their Art dep. is amazing, as evidenced by both Returns and Tropical Freeze.

ggx2ac

Why are you looking for arguments? Your post doesn't make any sense.

You keep banging on this AMD/ARM drum again and again. Just let it go and let people speculate whatever they want. It's not blasphemy. It's nice to have different opinions on what the NX may be. It's fun. Don't be annoying.

I predict a potato runs the NX. Problem?

I was arguing against the idea of a seperate handheld and console being launched now compared to a hybrid.

Should we just let people say the NX will be as powerful as a PS4 Neo and just leave it at that? No reason required?

Seriously, that post was many pages back and the subject moved on. You could have ignored it, yet you are saying I am annoying you?

Why do you not like arguments? Is it not nice to have some rational debate? There's enjoyment to be had in that, it even helps bring up ideas since this is a speculation thread.

Put me on your ignore list if you don't like it.

Davey Cakes

Retro is a weird case. DKC Returns was incredibly successful, but Tropical Freeze didn't really do anything for the Wii U (since it was received as "just another platformer" on a console that had too few of everything but plaformers). So, do you give them another Donkey Kong game which in all likelihood will sell decently to great but won't help pushing the platform if needed or do you give them something different that might not be a surefire hit, but helps diversifying the platform's line up?
We don't need another DK game right now.

If anything they should just remaster DKCR and TF and put them on one disc together. Re-market them. Give TF another chance with an expanded audience on NX, considering that it deserves more exposure.

Nintendo doesn't need quality games only. They need quality games wrapped around new, fresh experiences with wide ranging appeal. As good as some of Nintendo's Wii U games were, they could be unexciting at times. The company needs to know when to play it safe and when to do something different.

Banned
The only weird flaw about the amd camp was x86. If they want a shared platform with the same games they'd need the same cpu. Gpu code is agnostic so it's not as big of a deal.

So if they're adamant on x86 then the handheld would have to be x86. AMD raven Ridge? Lol way too expensive.

As soon as Nintendo hinted at a family of devices sharing the same architecture it pretty much narrowed down the cpu to ARM.

So even if amd was involved with the home console it would still be ARM based, unless Nintendo learnt nothing from the software droughts of Wii U and 3DS.

ARM/AMD
ARM/Nvidia
ARM/DMP

A combination of those three for the handheld and console is possible as long as the cpu is the same.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Reggie "it's not the same game, it's not the same content" Fils-Aime said that the E3 2015 digital event was very well received. I like him sometimes, but he's nothing more than a marketing robot. You should not base anything on what he says.

Hey look, he called me sarcastic, too. Shame I didn't use sarcasm.

I mean... here's my twitter conversation with him:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq0PQG5WcAkqkFT.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq0PQ2pXgAA2WE_.jpg[/IM]

When saying that eurogamer's info comes from inside sources vs speculation, he had this to say:

So please, no-one take what he says as fact, he all-but openly admits to it being his speculation and that it's 'for fun' to 'get people excited' about nx.

That's all these AMD/powerful console 'truthers' are doing.

They're basically the same people who want nintendo to just go third party (so they don't have to buy more than one console), but knowing that's not gonna happen soon (because nintendo is confirmed to be making NX), they're settling for the next best thing: Hoping nintendo makes a console powerful enough to play all their favorite games in one place.

I'm not sure WHY they want this 'one console' ecosystem, but it's clearly what they want. Money, convenience, I dunno, but it's evident that's all they want and they don't know how to get there.[/QUOTE]

Lol, this dude happy Nintendo is the misterxmedia of Nintendo lol.

MacTag

Banned
We don't need another DK game right now.

If anything they should just remaster DKCR and TF and put them on one disc together. Re-market them. Give TF another chance with an expanded audience on NX, considering that it deserves more exposure.
You mean on one card. ;)

A DKCR remaster collection's not a bad idea but it's also not something they really need Retro to do. It could be farmed out to Monster like DKCR3D.

Taker666

It also didn't help that Tropical Freeze did absolutely zero with the gamepad at a time when people were already starting to think that the gamepad was barely being used for anything meaningful . If they'd spent a few more months making a level creator ala Mario Maker for Tropical Freeze, it would have sold far better.

ggx2ac

So, you're saying that we get 2 Donkey Kong games in the first year? Awesome!

Heh, I called that yesterday when Mpl90 brought it up.

Donkey Kong Country: Kongquest

Donkey Kong Country: Banana Rights

In Kongquest you control the DK Crew.

In Banana Rights you control King K. Rool and the Kremlins.

TLZ

Banned
I was arguing against the idea of a seperate handheld and console being launched now compared to a hybrid.

Should we just let people say the NX will be as powerful as a PS4 Neo and just leave it at that? No reason required?

Seriously, that post was many pages back and the subject moved on. You could have ignored it, yet you are saying I am annoying you?

Why do you not like arguments? Is it not nice to have some rational debate? There's enjoyment to be had in that, it even helps bring up ideas since this is a speculation thread.

Put me on your ignore list if you don't like it.

Because you always come off as looking for trouble and always chasing and shooting down that AMD/ARM speculation like it's a mad dog. Why do you care so much? Your counters are also based on rumors and speculation, no facts yet, so really who cares? If some dude on twitter is being super optimistic or whatever, why not just ignore them and stick to debating/speculating here for fun? Just don't forget the fun factor in all this.

Well I just copied that off wikipedia so... even better!

ggx2ac

Because you always come off as looking for trouble and always chasing and shooting down that AMD/ARM speculation like it's a mad dog. Why do you care so much? Your counters are also based on rumors and speculation, no facts yet, so really who cares? If some dude on twitter is being super optimistic or whatever, why not just ignore them and stick to debating/speculating here for fun? Just don't forget the fun factor in all this.

Just to make sure I understand, so you're saying you only had problems with what I was saying when it involved Troll #2638 on Twitter. Rather than arguing with someone else's speculation on here?

Dystify

And Retro Studios making two games?? Metroid Prime 4 has to be one. The other one I'm hoping is a new IP

Oops he said two existing IPs. If true I would expect Metroid Prime 4 and hopefully Star Tropics.

If Retro is working on two games that are going to be announced soon I doubt either of them is Metroid Prime 4. Recent comments by Nintendo (forgot who exactly) made it seem like a new Metroid Prime game is currently not in development.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed if it's another DK game, but for some reason I don't think they're working on that, either.

MacTag

Banned
If Retro is working on two games that are going to be announced soon I doubt either of them is Metroid Prime 4. Recent comments by Nintendo (forgot who exactly) made it seem like a new Metroid Prime game is currently not in development.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed if it's DK game, but for some reason I don't think they're working on that, either.
F-Zero time!

Dystify

So how reliable is this source behind the rumor about Retro working on 2 games?

The guy predicted Devil's Third on Wii U, and Pokémon ORAS. His last rumor was a big remaster in 2015, which people assume to be TPHD (even though that released in 2016 in the end) or Majora's Mask.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
French game journalist at gameblog.fr who leaked/hinted at some things before, including Pokemon ORAS a few days before it was known, hinting at majora's mask and devil's third as nintendo exclusive.

Make of that what you want I'd say.

I like the sound of this.

Donkey Kong game for launch and a Metroid game for the holidays? Yes, please!

I'd love for Nintendo to show the Donkey Kong game first to get GAF all riled up, and then follow it up with, "But Retro wasn't done yet..." and then blow the doors off with a Metroid Prime game reveal.

Hermii

pretty sure it was officially confirmed that they were done in 2013 and it was delayed to pad out the release schedule for Wii U

On how the game’s delay has benefited development…

Kensuke Tanabe: The game itself was almost complete, so we were able to take more time to polish areas not directly related to gameplay. There are also some interesting details, like the Snowmads in the background. Just watching them move around is fun.

Michael Kelbaugh: The extra time was really a blessing for us. It allowed us more time to refine and polish and to add that little bit of extra love Nintendo games are so famous for. It really made a difference. We made extra polish passes on particles and FX, animation and artwork. And, let’s not forget it gave David Wise and Kenji Yamamoto a little extra time to make adjustments to the amazing soundtrack!

http://nintendoeverything.com/tanab...e-title-3ds-version-would-be-tough-much-more/

maxcriden

hmm...

Like I said, if it's legitimate, these are probably going to be 2 smaller-scale games.

Right, I think that or one significant size game with support on another smaller title or another much smaller title is likeliest... I suppose just the very beginning stages of a new and also significant size game is also possible.

Clessidor

I really can't see Retro doing two games or at least I would be surprised. After the work they've done with the DKC series I wouldn't be surprised, if the do a traditional 2D Metroid instead of a Prime game.
But really I'm very sceptical about that rumour.

Davey Cakes

Going back to my prior point, think about it like this: Nintendo kept releasing sidescrolling platformers on Wii U when that genre was saturated. Games like NSMBU, Tropical Freeze, Kirby Rainbow Curse, and Yoshi's Woolly World. Quality titles for sure, but not ones that really drive hardware sales. Quality isn't everything; you still need to deliver products that pique people's interests with refreshing ideas. At least Super Mario Maker was experimental in nature. We need more "polished experiments" on NX.

I mean, if Retro isn't going to make a game like Splatoon that's completely new, they could at least work on a revived property instead of something that people have already come to expect from Nintendo. Just my opinion, of course.

DrWong

Nicowav is, in my book, more reliable than not, based on his past track record and the fact he's also an indy.

Could it be, if true and following the hybrid route, that those 2 games are in the end one game but in 2 versions, portable and home?

KingBroly

Banned
Right, I think that or one significant size game with support on another smaller title or another much smaller title is likeliest... I suppose just the very beginning stages of a new and also significant size game is also possible.

I doubt that. They had to get help from Monster Games to do DKCTF. Nintendo doesn't seem to want to expand the company for some reason, despite their games reaching critical acclaim.

The guy predicted Devil's Third on Wii U, and Pokémon ORAS. His last rumor was a big remaster in 2015, which people assume to be TPHD (even though that released in 2016 in the end) or Majora's Mask.
I definitely believe this rumor now.

Man two games from Retro gonna be good and existing IPs.
I thought Miyamoto said Retro could make two games too?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Retro working on two games =

-helping with mario kart 9
-donkey kong country returns 3

Zero complaints from me. Tropical Freeze was fantastic and needs a closing game in the trilogy, while Mario Kart is a system-seller, something the NX needs right away.

E-phonk

Banned
I doubt that. They had to get help from Monster Games to do DKCTF. Nintendo doesn't seem to want to expand the company for some reason, despite their games reaching critical acclaim.

There can be a lot of reasons why a team of 70 is better than a team of 200 people though. But I agree that I wouldn't expect two full fledged games from Retro, although it's possible they contributed to another project that isn't theirs.

For those hoping for a new metroid, know that there were rumours some time ago that Retro and Tanabe had some internal problems/struggles. If that rumour has any truth to it, and Sakamoto is working closely together with retro it's possible their new IP will not be what most people expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom