• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertti

I watch soccer like 10 games a week so yesterday while playing my 3DS at the same time while watching a game from tv I realised something. NX is actually a perfect for me. It's really tough to have time for both so if can multitask that's good.

Hermii

They later straight up said development wrapped up in November. The "polish" thing was just the convenient excuse for the delay at the time. Nintendo does this a lot for scheduling reasons.

As the interview I posted earlier states, they did work on polishing it up on up until release, regardless of that was the real reason for the delay or not. Probably not the entire team though.

LordOfChaos

that wasn't the case with the wii u reveal ;)

my official expectations:

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u
-dock doesn't increase performance, just spits the image out onto a tv

in other words, a new nintendo handheld that is a huge jump from the 3ds. with a ton of first party support. sounds ok to me.

After the "It's a 4850! A 1Tflop card! Nintendo can't even order a GPU under 600Gflops, that has to be the minimum. Oh, a die shot? Err, 300, right? Final offer...Aaaand it's a 172Gflop 160 shader GPU" Wii U GPU thread of disappointment, I too am trying to keep expectations low.

However weaker than the Wii U is an extreme end of it imo, it's not that hard for a mobile part to beat it especially based on an X1....Though, now maybe I sound like the 600Gflop minimum people back with Project Cafe.

I do think people were too quick to discount a semicustom GPU only based on Pascal with an irregular number of shaders per SMX, as Nintendo does like licencing and customizing GPUs, and licencing is what Nvidia made an aim.

At least Pascal Tegra is plausible and not this, lmao

projectcafe_specs.jpg

I didn't say it'd be weaker than the Wii U, only that the performance difference isn't going to realize software that looks appreciably better than the Wii U's output and that it's going to look obviously worse than current gen output right now.

You said you agreed somewhat with a post that stated that it would be weaker than the Wii U. I assumed that you agreed with that point in the post but I guess you did say somewhat so that's my bad for making that assumption.

I think based on what LCGeek has said more so than anything else that the NX will be a good deal more powerful than most people think right now. Not that it'll match XB1 specs on paper, but I am betting that we'll see some exclusives that look quite comparable to XB1/PS4 games, thanks to the FP16 performance.

I also think the dock will do something, otherwise why would Eurogamer or any of the devs doing the leaking mention it? Not sure what, but I wouldn't write it off.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
720p
Between Wii U - XB1 in power
Dock does nothing but display the game on a TV screen

I'm here as well except I think it'll be closer to XB1 than Wii U, and I fully expect a dock to increase power on a TV screen within the first 18-24 months. Maybe holiday 2018?

Davey Cakes

There was a rumor that Retro is making Kid Icarus. The rumor may have been debunked. I don't know.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's Retro making Kid Icarus, maybe even in collaboration with another dev.

Uprising was successful on 3DS, right? I've basically resigned to thinking of NX mostly as a 3DS successor so another game in that series would not be surprising.

diaspora

You said you agreed somewhat with a post that stated that it would be weaker than the Wii U. I assumed that you agreed with that point in the post but I guess you did say somewhat so that's my bad for making that assumption.

I think based on what LCGeek has said more so than anything else that the NX will be a good deal more powerful than most people think right now. Not that it'll match XB1 specs on paper, but I am betting that we'll see some exclusives that look quite comparable to XB1/PS4 games, thanks to the FP16 performance.

I think the CPU performance will realize better performance in non-game applications like video-playing, web browser, and OS use cases like sharing/recording. In game-based use cases probably better third party engine portability, but I don't see the games looking much better than what the Wii U outputs now.

I also think the dock will do something, otherwise why would Eurogamer or any of the devs doing the leaking mention it? Not sure what, but I wouldn't write it off.
The dock having video out, charging, controller connectivity are all things that are new, it would make sense for Eurogamer to mention it considering. It likely won't make a difference in how games look- upclocking or using normally unused cores in mobile devices don't really make an appreciable difference in games now.

There's no reason that DK needs to be a trilogy.

...yet.

Only if they want to highlight that they haven't learned a single thing from WiiU.

The reaction to TF alone would have been vastly different if Retro made a high budget Donkey Kong game in the vein of Yooka Laylee. There's a reason Donkey Kong Country Returns was received with cheering and an overall positive consensus from the getgo. Wii already had a good number of high quality games in a variety of franchises and different genres. The idea of new 2D console platformers was also still fresh.

When TF was revealed, the outrage wasn't because of the IP. It was because WiiU was sorely lacking and 2D rehashes constituted what feels like half of Nintendo's modern portfolio. And then they revealed that one of their most anticipated studios' first HD game also was yet another uninteresting rehash in an oversaturated, creatively bankrupt genre. Nintendo 2D paltformers at this point might be even worse than the yearly CoD rehash. It's especially bad because indies do all these crazy things with 2D still, yet Nintendo can't even do a proper Metroidvania for once instead of an endless amount of samey mascot platformers. The genre pretty much imploded on WiiU and lost all of its hardware selling power (NSMBU can't even beat Sunshine :lol and TF only barely caught up to Metroid Prime 2, heh).

One of the easiest ways to determine whether Nintendo still lives in a bubble is to see whether they are stupid enough to put any significant amount of resources into 2D platformers for the NX, like Retro on DKCR3.

tarheel91

720p
Between Wii U - XB1 in power
Dock does nothing but display the game on a TV screen

I see a dock that doesn't do anything extra, but there's no reason they couldn't raise clocks while docked to better match thermal limits (as opposed to battery consumption limits). They could also have a fan on the dock that adds some extra convection cooling to increase the thermal limits in docked mode. There's so much cheap, easy potential for extra performance in docked mode that I don't see a reason not to do it.

And then they revealed that one of their most anticipated studios' first HD game also was yet another uninteresting rehash in an oversaturated, creatively bankrupt genre. Nintendo 2D paltformers at this point might be even worse than the yearly CoD rehash. It's especially bad because indies do all these crazy things with 2D

lmao DKTF runs circle around the indie output and any other modern 2D game for that matter. so glad we got that game it's truly incredible.

I think we'll get a new RETRO game next year, hope it's actually exciting and not a new DK which would be of quality but it's not an exciting property at this time. I remember "f#cking Donkey Kong" happened after years of speculation trying to see just what RETRO was up to and it was just a same-y DK sequel.
Retro working on two games =

-helping with mario kart 9
-donkey kong country returns 3
Pretty sure RETRO didn't help with MK8, the more impressive of the two by quite a large margin. MK7 felt pretty rushed so I imagine they saw early 3DS sales and scrambled to get it ready asking other big studios for help. I seem to recall them only doing like one track and some animations? Could be wrong there

maxcriden

maybe they'll do just the handheld for $199 and the handheld + dock for $249

wii u basic + deluxe bundle all over again

I don't think we will see HH only until the holiday season at the earliest. At the jump they'll want to promote the hybrid aspect of it as unique and they can only do it if the system "comes with" the dock.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Retro making Kid Icarus, maybe even in collaboration with another dev.

Uprising was successful on 3DS, right? I've basically resigned to thinking of NX mostly as a 3DS successor so another game in that series would not be surprising.

It sold 1.18 M last we heard. Moderately successful but not hugely:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_3DS_video_games

I mean, hugely by the standard of a Kid Icarus revival, just not by the standard of massive 3DS sellers. It did well overall, I just don't know if they would position an HD sequel as a priority for a studio like Retro. I'd be very pleased if we got another game, though. (And, didn't Sakurai say he was good with it as a one and done? But, I understand minds change.)

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

in other words, a new nintendo handheld that is a huge jump from the 3ds. with a ton of first party support. sounds ok to me.

https://youtu.be/3flv5nWZgII

That would be pathetic. Unless they had something seriously impressive going on as a feature, that would be a joke of a device, even at a lower price point.

I think the CPU performance will realize better performance in non-game applications like video-playing, web browser, and OS use cases like sharing/recording. In game-based use cases probably better third party engine portability, but I don't see the games looking much better than what the Wii U outputs now.

The dock having video out, charging, controller connectivity are all things that are new, it would make sense for Eurogamer to mention it considering. It likely won't make a difference in how games look- upclocking or using normally unused cores in mobile devices don't really make an appreciable difference in games now.

Sorry, the LCGeek quote I meant was this one which refers to Nate's rumor about the chip being Pascal based:

Nate is legit on these things. Not saying this as a reference to myself, but so are others. Let things come together nintendo is pulling at people right now and I think they are liking what they see.

I shat on when I leaked certain cpu details I wasn't suppose to. It's a lot better than initial concept, I know it doesn't please everyone but nintendo is actively wanting this machine to be solid and that reminds me of when they built n64 or gc vs the last two machines.

I think it's from a locked thread so I can't quote it directly, but Mpl90 has compiled a lot of these relevant quotes earlier in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215267856&postcount=2455

We also have very reasonable estimates from previous threads placing the actual GFlops number somewhere between 300 and 500 at FP32, meaning 600 and 1000 max at mixed precision, and this is all doable with the Pascal chip downclocked to save battery power. I don't know how any of that indicates that games won't look much better than Wii U games, and that's without accounting for the much more modern architecture, tools, library and support from nVidia. I don't know if you realize just how underwhelming the Wii U's power is, which is not surprising when you look at games like MK8.

I can't imagine Smash Bros NX will be 720p on your tv.

It might be a dumb dock but there with still be native 1080p for games.

I agree that there's no way a port of Smash Bros would be 720p on the TV, but that doesn't mean the dock has to do anything. The game could be rendered in 1080p and downsampled on the portable screen since this thing is way more powerful than the Wii U.

Edit:

I see a dock that doesn't do anything extra, but there's no reason they couldn't raise clocks while docked to better match thermal limits (as opposed to battery consumption limits). They could also have a fan on the dock that adds some extra convection cooling to increase the thermal limits in docked mode. There's so much cheap, easy potential for extra performance in docked mode that I don't see a reason not to do it.

I agree with this as well, but apparently that's considered "secret sauce" in the anti-WUST age.

AdanVC

August is over and still not a single word from Nintendo. I'm starting to think they would not reveal this thing in september now. Good thing we have our Wii Us with lot's of new titles upcoming to keep us busy while we wait...
fUCk!!!!!!

georly

Pretty sure RETRO didn't help with MK8, the more impressive of the two by quite a large margin. MK7 felt pretty rushed so I imagine they saw early 3DS sales and scrambled to get it ready asking other big studios for help. I seem to recall them only doing like one track and some animations? Could be wrong there

They helped on the last handheld mario kart, makes sense they'd do this one too ;)

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

Lol...and how do we suppose to play Breath of the Wild on a system which is weaker than the Wii U? I hope you are joking or just want to be really pessimistic because it is cool to be like that in a Nintendo thread. ;)

KingBroly

Banned
Only if they want to highlight that they haven't learned a single thing from WiiU.

The reaction to TF alone would have been vastly different if Retro made a high budget Donkey Kong game in the vein of Yooka Laylee. There's a reason Donkey Kong Country Returns was received with cheering and an overall positive consensus from the getgo. Wii already had a good number of high quality games in a variety of franchises and different genres. The idea of new 2D console platformers was also still fresh.

When TF was revealed, the outrage wasn't because of the IP. It was because WiiU was sorely lacking and 2D rehashes constituted what feels like half of Nintendo's modern portfolio. And then they revealed that one of their most anticipated studios' first HD game also was yet another uninteresting rehash in an oversaturated, creatively bankrupt genre. Nintendo 2D paltformers at this point might be even worse than the yearly CoD rehash. It's especially bad because indies do all these crazy things with 2D still, yet Nintendo can't even do a proper Metroidvania for once instead of an endless amount of samey mascot platformers. The genre pretty much imploded on WiiU and lost all of its hardware selling power (NSMBU can't even beat Sunshine :lol and TF only barely caught up to Metroid Prime 2, heh).

One of the easiest ways to determine whether Nintendo still lives in a bubble is to see whether they are stupid enough to put any significant amount of resources into 2D platformers for the NX, like Retro on DKCR3.

I'd still like to see Mario Maker ported to NX

Xiao Hu

Talking about platformers, I wonder if Nintendo can provide a diverse genre portfolio for the NX. So far they lack a competitive FPS of their own. Would be nice to have something to dump time into for people like me who don't care about Splatoon for what ever reason.

maxcriden

August is over and still not a single word from Nintendo. I'm starting to think they would not reveal this thing in september now. Good thing we have our Wii Us with lot's of new titles upcoming to keep us busy while we wait...
fUCk!!!!!!

As EBF said, August isn't over yet. We have every indication that NX will be out in March. No need to worry yet. We very well still can get a reveal next month.

Hermii

I think we'll get a new RETRO game next year, hope it's actually exciting and not a new DK which would be of quality but it's not an exciting property at this time. I remember "f#cking Donkey Kong" happened after years of speculation trying to see just what RETRO was up to and it was just a same-y DK sequel.

I belive they made all the retro courses. To lazy to look it up, but if you want to know exactly what they did, go read the Iwata Asks with Kelbaugh. It was pretty entertaining as I recall it.

lmao DKTF runs circle around the indie output and any other modern 2D game for that matter. so glad we got that game it's truly incredible.

TF is only great because its a blatant rehash of its already amazing last gen version. However, rehashing DKCR isn't exactly something to write home about. Especially when your console still lacked any experience grander than 2D mascot platformer rehashes. Something like Mark of the Ninja is infinitely more exciting than a DK rehash ever was. Hence TF rightfully bombed into oblivion and Nintendo would be stupid to continue betting on this tired genre.

georly

Lol...and how do we suppose to play Breath of the Wild on a system which is weaker than the Wii U? I hope you are joking or just want to be really pessimistic because it is cool to be like that in a Nintendo thread. ;)

Pessimism is a good way to not be disappointed. I think that's all he's doing here.

Anth0ny

smash will be a lower resolution on nx than wii u

wii u version will be the definitive version with more effects and draw distance and stuff

diaspora

Raising clocks isn't likely going to help much beyond smoothing framerates. It's not going to double the number pixels on screen.

-540p screen
-weaker than wii u

I get that the WUST hurt a lot of people, but going in the opposite direction seems a bit much. Even down clocked to hell, the X1 should at least be on par with the Wii U. 540p screen would allow it to do quite a bit more and that's what most people expected, but I guess that's not the case.
Unless you don't believe the Eurogamer rumor of the Tegra X1 chip being inside but then everything would need to be thrown out as well (the Dock/plugging into the TV, etc)

smash will be a lower resolution on nx than wii u

wii u version will be the definitive version with more effects and draw distance and stuff

Wow...you really believe that. I thought you were kidding.

It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to carry on with their blue ocean strategy and after the Wii U failure they know that. So I doubt they will release a hybrid which is worse than their last home console.
And why do you talk as you know already what we will get?

fUCk!!!!!!
I don't think you have to worry. Rumors are saying September and now we have a rumor saying around September 20th which falls in line with Fall season. And like it's been said if they do a press event then they would let media know the earliest is three weeks prior. Three weeks to today is September 19th which tells us this would be the week we hear press getting their invites.

udivision

It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to carry on with their blue ocean strategy and after the Wii U failure they know that. So I doubt they will release a hybrid which is worse than their last home console.
And why do you talk as you know already what we will get?

Well, um... Reggie said that's what they planned to do just a few short months ago.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TF is only great because its a blatant rehash of its already amazing last gen version. However, rehashing DKCR isn't exactly something to write home about. Especially when your console still lacked any experience grander than 2D mascot platformer rehashes. Something like Mark of the Ninja is infinitely more exciting than a DK rehash ever was. Hence TF rightfully bombed into oblivion and Nintendo would be stupid to continue betting on this tired genre.

This is so incredibly false I have no idea how to even respond to it.

Nobody ever said August is when they'd announce the reveal date.

They literally made 50% of the playable content. They were responsible for the retro tracks.

M3d10n

They don't even need fans in the dock. The SoC, specially the GPU, will need to be well bellow thermal limit in handheld mode to provide at least 4 hours of battery (which should be a bare minimum for those coming from XL 3DS models). There's plenty of room for increasing the clock or even enabling dormant cores when plugged to a 10-15W external power source (the K1 Shield tablet, for example, can draw more power than it receives from a standard USB charger).

The dock could simply be a high power charger with HDMI and USB ports and it could still be possible for games to run at higher resolutions on a TV.

ozfunghi

I'd like to hear what Blu & Thraktor think about that DMP chip. The fact that it's 28nm makes it look less ideal, obviously. On the other hand, i wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do something like this. Again. They never went with the newest fabrication nodes, they came out of left field with DMP in 3DS, surprised everybody with the WiiU GPU etc etc..

I have no idea if and how much cheaper these DMP chips could be compared to Tegra X2 or how they could be linked, in case Nintendo put one in both dock and handheld. Say the handheld DMP chip is underclocked to reach +/- 200GF, and the dock DMP chip is running at full force (800GF). Just thinking out loud. The fact that DMP just now starts talking about this chip (and kept it secret so long) while they claim it will be in devices first half of 2017... is interesting.

PS: and what if, since BC with WiiU is off the table, they somehow get BC with 3DS through DMP?

Hence TF rightfully bombed into oblivion and Nintendo would be stupid to continue betting on this tired genre.

I guess Activision should just stop making those CoD rehashes and Rockstar shouldn't bother with those bullcrap open-world games with narratives. And don't even get me started on the Pokémon Company

You, sir, have rightfully earned the daily awarded 'Twisted Shit Poster Award' that I've just come up with and likely won't see another edition.

diaspora

Taking standard X1 performance as a given for the final product seems strange for a company that somehow released a product with the Wii U's performance in 2012. It was a feat to be that bad 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom