• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Zelda is a cross-gen game as well. When Nintendo's launch line up consists of one new casual game, Zelda and one or two Wii U remasters, then people have to wonder why they can play 3/4 of the notable NX line up on the old console.
The issue is that no one has a Wii U, so outside of the 10M die hards that have a Wii U that would most likely buy an NX, it shouldn't really matter. It's also very likely that NX will be cheaper than Wii U unless Nintendo drops the price which seems unnecessary since they're halting production pretty soon.

Davey Cakes

How could Nintendo not support the NX at launch and after launch? From the rumors and reports, the NX is barely beyond Wii U. Nintendo did a bang up job supporting 3DS and Wii U so combining their efforts onto one platform, regardless of the necessary HD assets, should result in reasonably consistent support out of the gate. I'd imagine they've either already wrapped up some projects or are close to doing so after basically dropping Wii U other than a few throwaway titles and...Paper Mario Color Splash.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
With nextlevel games working also on two projects and nx being android port friendly, I think that's pretty much it.

I'll take a new Luigi's Mansion or a Mario Strikers, if I may.

They already have a home run hitter at launch with Zelda. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Having a remaster to fill out the launch lineup is a good idea because it adds more incentive to purchase, and it also doesn't risk sucking the oxygen away from Zelda.

Zelda only grabs a certain crowd, they need something like a major Mario title to attract a lot more gamers. And I don't think anything can steal from Zelda sales, people will buy Zelda regardless, and will continue buying it for years.

Davey Cakes

I'll take a new Luigi's Mansion or a Mario Strikers, if I may.
I would not be surprised if Next Level's NX game is Luigi's Mansion, after the success of the 3DS title. That said, Punch Out seemed to be a cult hit so maybe that's the direction they're going in.

With nextlevel games working also on two projects and nx being android port friendly, I think that's pretty much it.
Cant' imagine Next Level being big enough to work on 3 games at a time (Federation Force+these two) so I'm guessing it's rather inaccurate unless one of the titles is a port. 3 and a half years on just Federation Force for it to end up bombing would be rather unfortunate especially after they announced going Nintendo only once they finished Luigi's Mansion. Maybe they had something in the works for Wii U and Federation force and then they moved the Wii U project to NX.
Being android port friendly shouldn't be too hard, right? The Shield (that used the X1) ran android games very well. Not sure what would have to be done if it isn't running android, though.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
iPhone 7 is going to be announced Sept 7. Sony announcing as early as tomorrow though speculated for Sept 7 as well.

Too crowded for an NX announcement to happen on rumored day of Sept 12?

If NX is announced soon do you think scheduling around other announcements will impact it's reception by the public, strategically speaking?

I feel the same. They are 8cm height and the proportions are almost the same as a wii remote (just a little bit wider) Making those controllers feel good while are attached and also good when you hold them like wii remotes is a challenge since if you make them wide you end up with a giant portable, if you make them thin you end with toothpicks when you hold them separate. I''ll explore further that matter.

Personally I think you shouldn't worry about the giant portable or gamey-ness factor. The tablet aesthetics can be saved for the tablet mode, making it look good with realistic controllers (~1.4 inch wide like Wii and the control areas of most portables) will be a challenge.
Functionally the closest real world example must be the Aikun Morphus: https://youtu.be/sr8SbLgHkzI
The controllers don't have to be as wide as those but they can overlap the tablet's bezel as much as possible, I think with something Wii remote width and overlapping the original bezels it should not be much wider than your mockup combined.

Malus

Well, yeah like everything.
Though I know Sendou who post here said the same thing, I don't know where he heard it.

It was a Tamaki/DoctorCupcakes rumor. His rumors are currently banned from gaf, however I believe either ShockingAlberto or Shikamaru Ninja speculated that Next Level was working on something more than Federation Force.

Retrobox

Zelda only grabs a certain crowd, they need something like a major Mario title to attract a lot more gamers. And I don't think anything can steal from Zelda sales, people will buy Zelda regardless, and will continue buying it for years.

Normally I would agree with you but BotW is a special case. The hype for that game is unreal. The trailer became the most viewed video on Nintendo's channel in a week or two and gained quite a lot of media buzz. That game is a system seller right there, a complete homerun.

Though of course it alone won't suffice.

Having two good things at launch would not be too much of a good thing. Nintendo has just conditioned its fans to think that. Everyone else gets tons of good games on a frequent basis.

The PS4 and XB1 launches were passable at best, even when accounting for third parties.

Two first party titles at the NX launch is not enough, but they'd be foolish to have more than three or four.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Having two good things at launch would not be too much of a good thing. Nintendo has just conditioned its fans to think that. Everyone else gets tons of good games on a frequent basis.

To me the wiiu launch was better than the ps4 one..just saying

MuchoMalo

Banned
If they're incapable of having a good launch and then supporting the console after launch I'm not sure why they're in this business.

So, you can't think of a single game publisher which doesn't put out 2-3 big games every single quarter? Really?

New Nvidia Shield is coming, this thing probably uses Nvidia's new SoC that a few folks keep drooling over. The NX probably would use the older and cheaper X1.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-nvidia-shield-tv-passes-through-the-fcc/

TIL that a chip can only be used on one piece of hardware.

Also, a lot of people just ate crow.

Trilobit

I wouldn't be surprised, if the do a traditional 2D Metroid instead of a Prime game.

Nooo... I just want a new Prime where I can once more visit beautiful vistas and atmospheric ruins.
DcrGwA9.png

With better graphic ofc.

wrowa

I would not be surprised if Next Level's NX game is Luigi's Mansion, after the success of the 3DS title. That said, Punch Out seemed to be a cult hit so maybe that's the direction they're going in.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was definitely too successful not to get a sequel.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'd like to hear what Blu & Thraktor think about that DMP chip. The fact that it's 28nm makes it look less ideal, obviously. On the other hand, i wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do something like this. Again. They never went with the newest fabrication nodes, they came out of left field with DMP in 3DS, surprised everybody with the WiiU GPU etc etc..

I have no idea if and how much cheaper these DMP chips could be compared to Tegra X2 or how they could be linked, in case Nintendo put one in both dock and handheld. Say the handheld DMP chip is underclocked to reach +/- 200GF, and the dock DMP chip is running at full force (800GF). Just thinking out loud. The fact that DMP just now starts talking about this chip (and kept it secret so long) while they claim it will be in devices first half of 2017... is interesting.

PS: and what if, since BC with WiiU is off the table, they somehow get BC with 3DS through DMP?
I think DMP will be sitting this one out.

maxcriden

The PS4 and XB1 launches were passable at best, even when accounting for third parties.

Two first party titles at the NX launch is not enough, but they'd be foolish to have more than three or four.

I agree on the last part for sure, though I think if there are enough third party games (yeah, not terribly likely I know) that two games could be enough day one. I could see maybe two games incl. Zelda, plus a remaster. Hmm. Or three and then a couple more a month later, a la GameCube. GCN did it really well for those first couple months. Wave Race, Luigi and Rogue Leader at launch --> Pikmin and SSB about a month later. Not in terms of fan favorite games, I know, but just in terms of pacing the launch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_GameCube_games

I mean, then we had nothing till June and August with ED and SMS, respectively, but...hopefully the consolidation of HW will help prevent droughts. (We then had Animal Crossing in August... Star Fox in September... Mario Party 4 in October... and Cubivore and Metroid Prime in November.)

With Wii it was Excite Truck, Twilight Princess, Wii Sports day one. Wario Ware two months later. Wii Play three months later. Super Paper Mario a couple months after that. Mario Party 8 in May. Big Brain Academy and Pokémon Battle Revolution in June. Mario Strikers in July. Prime 3 in August. Barrel Blast in October. Radiant Dawn, Mario & Sonic, and Galaxy in November.

Interesting mixes of titles to look back on.

Oregano

So, you can't think of a single game publisher which doesn't put out 2-3 big games every single quarter? Really?

TIL that a chip can only be used on one piece of hardware.

Also, a lot of people just ate crow.

Do you mean people who didn't think Nvidia would be making more Shields(which I leaned towards tbh) or people who thought Nvidia were all about cars now?

The existence of a new Shield will used as proof Nvidia aren't powering NX.

I agree on the last part for sure, though I think if there are enough third party games (yeah, not terribly likely I know) that two games could be enough day one. I could see maybe two games incl. Zelda, plus a remaster. Hmm. Or three and then a couple more a month later, a la GameCube. GCN did it really well for those first couple months. Wave Race, Luigi and Rogue Leader at launch --> Pikmin and SSB about a month later. Not in terms of fan favorite games, I know, but just in terms of pacing the launch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_GameCube_games

I mean, then we had nothing till June and August with ED and SMS, respectively, but...hopefully the consolidation of HW will help prevent droughts. (We then had Animal Crossing in August... Star Fox in September... Mario Party 4 in October... and Cubivore and Metroid Prime in November.)

With Wii it was Excite Truck, Twilight Princess, Wii Sports day one. Wario Ware two months later. Wii Play three months later. Super Paper Mario a couple months after that. Mario Party 8 in May. Big Brain Academy and Pokémon Battle Revolution in June. Mario Strikers in July. Prime 3 in August. Barrel Blast in October. Radiant Dawn, Mario & Sonic, and Galaxy in November.

Interesting mixes of titles to look back on.

Man, the GCN launch window was great! I had forgotten both Pikmin and Melee came out on the same day in December 2001.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else think they are releasing the Galaxy 3DS to make the NX feel like a better deal. $199 for a 3DS XL when NX could be $199 or $249 itself.

majik13

I thought at Hot Chip Nvidia announced there wouldn't be a new Sheild? Or did people just assume that since they didnt announce one there?

I didnt watch it, but seemed like it was a forgone conclusion based on Gaf comments, and no one was arguing the fact...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I thought at Hot Chip Nvidia announced there wouldn't be a new Sheild? Or did people just assume that since they didnt announce one there?

I didnt watch it, but seemed like it was a forgone conclusion based on Gaf comments, and no one was arguing the fact...

No new Shield tablet. This is Shield TV.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Do you mean people who didn't think Nvidia would be making more Shields(which I leaned towards tbh) or people who thought Nvidia were all about cars now?

The existence of a new Shield will used as proof Nvidia aren't powering NX.

The people saying that Tegra would be 100% devoted to cars going forward. Honestly, I wasn't expecting a new Shield either.

As for people using that as proof, they ware using the Shield Tablet X1's cancellation as proof of no more gaming Tegras, so they'll be hypocrites no matter what.

Schnozberry

I never said it would be the only two games at launch. Nintendo should space out their heavy hitting IP. It's just good business.

maxcriden

Wait, did they each launch a day apart?

Edit - They did! I never knew this.

I always forget too. 😉 It's funny because at the time and didnt care at all about Pikmin and was obsessed with SSB. When I rented Pikmin I couldn't get into it and didn't care for it at all. Now I couldn't care less about Smash and absolutely adore Pikmin.

And it's all thanks to Nintendo Land for reintroducing me, and introducing my wife, to the wonder of Pikmin!

Anastasis

I'm curious how much games will be for the NX as its a hybrid. Handheld gamers will likely scoff at $60 for a new game, but there's no way they can undercut Zelda on the Wii U by $20 either, right? $50 then?

maxcriden

I'm curious how much games will be for the NX as its a hybrid. Handheld gamers will likely scoff at $60 for a new game, but there's no way they can undercut Zelda on the Wii U by $20 either, right? $50 then?

I think $50 is the sweet spot, but... if they really push to sell it successfully as a hybrid I could see them going $60. They did a lot of flexible console game pricing this gen and I expect that to continue either way. Maybe it'll be $60 but come with an amiibo.

wrowa

Pricing will be flexible, I assume. Big console-like games like Zelda will sell for $60 while smaller, more handheld-like games for $40.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So framerate is more graphics intensive than resolution even if you're pushing the same amount of pixels per second?

If by "graphics intensive" you mean generally demanding on the hardware, I'd say yes. I don't know very much, but I'm pretty sure an increase in resolution is mostly just an increase in GPU demand. When you double the framerate, you're asking everything involved in the rendering of the game to get things done twice as fast, which will require faster results from the CPU and GPU. This is probably a big reason of why many console games run at 30 fps: not only does it reduce the strain on the CPU (if the console is CPU-limited), but it also gives the developers just twice as much time to achieve everything. So you can have much more (2x) complex and visually appealing games at 30 fps.

Most prices will probably be variable like Wii U and 3DS have been but to a greater degree. However, I'm almost positive that BotW NX will cost the same amount as it will on Wii U (to not devalue it), which means it'll likely be $60. I expect physical games to range from $40 to $60. Maybe we'll still see some $30 games. Digital-only will likely range from $1 to $30.

ggx2ac

New Nvidia Shield is coming, this thing probably uses Nvidia's new SoC that a few folks keep drooling over. The NX probably would use the older and cheaper X1.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-nvidia-shield-tv-passes-through-the-fcc/

This was interesting news, we did have a new Shield controller FCC filing last week. Now the new Shield TV FCC filing appears.

I don't know if it will have Parker though. Still, lol. "Nvidia is just focusing on cars now." I said from the beginning that them cancelling a TX1 model of a Shield Tablet didn't mean anything.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I firmily believe prices will be variable, with different tiers. Considering how they're releasing one single device that acts both as a handheld and as a home console, there shouldn't be the problem that games at 59.99 appear too high, at least in the "traditional" environment. Still, 59.99 won't be the only price Nintendo will slap on their titles: both Wii U and 3DS have titles priced at launch with cheaper prices compared to the max MSRP possible (49.99 and 29.99 respectively). Also, there have been several price-cuts and, then, the Nintendo Selects.

On the topic of Nintendo's recent actions on the matter, it surprises me to see how a game like Yoshi's Wolly World, which launched at 49.99 (59.99 with the amiibo) back last September is now already 29.99 on the eShop and soon 39.99 with the amiibo in stores. And this is a game that sold pretty well in US, not a bomba (by that I mean titles that got major price cuts in the past, like Game&Wario and The Wonderful 101). Even more than Mario Party 10 following the same path, mostly because the game is a few months older. I wonder if this could be a possible pattern for both their biggest and their best reviewed titles, as average

Original release ------> First price-cut around 1 year / 1.5 year -------> Re-release around 2 years / 2.5 years as part of the Nintendo Select lineup at 19.99

Also, it's interesting to notice that, despite the different pricing environments, Nintendo Selects are 19.99 across both Wii U and 3DS, with Wii U titles getting the bigger discount from the original MSRP by far (the situation is nearly the same in Europe, with just 5 Euros separating 3DS NS prices and Wii U NS prices, 19.99 and 24.99 respectively).

Vena

I think this is more indicative of looking to move the last of the retail stock for these titles and Amiibo that are associated. They want to remove as much of the WiiU line from retail even if it sold well or really well.

ggx2ac

Pfff Buzzkill.

I also think the chance is slim to none, just thought i'd be fun to speculate "what if" or "how". Yet again, i wouldn't put it past Nintendo either.

We did look at it before when the murmurings appeared about the DMP M3000, we looked at it around a fortnight ago: The press release of DMP 3000 and their last financial quarter with slides given in English. There has been no indication that they were doing anything regarding NX and the release of their GPU was a first half of 2017 release so it was hard to pin point a possibility.

It's just so funny when HappyNintendoFan stated he was so confident in DMP being used in the NX when I first accused him of being a liar bringing up other things he made up claiming it was "proof" and look where we're at now. lol

I'm curious if the console part of the NX will support wireless compatibility with the touch screen controller. Given all of the other potential control schemes; I think Nintendo will allow for a Wii U like control scheme as well. It'd be a shame if you had to dock the touch screen for the console to work. I recall a while ago Nintendo filed a patent for a way for a console to register two touch screen controllers at once. I'd think if they were really selling this as a hybrid the console would allow for 1080p, higher framerate, Larger storage capacity, ability to support control schemes from past consoles(meaning some way for the console or controller to register motion controls and/or potentially more advanced graphical effects and shading techniques. Although I have no clue what that would mean for the price and how feasible that even is. If it really is a hybrid with a console and a handheld component than I'd expect $300 would be pretty cheap. However, a handheld that essentially functions as a TV output docking station I could see going for $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom