• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think this is more indicative of looking to move the last of the retail stock for these titles and Amiibo that are associated. They want to remove as much of the WiiU line from retail even if it sold well or really well.

Mmmh...I'll admit you could be on something, even if NX officially launches next March, not this Holiday, so it seems pretty early to start freeing shelves starting from the beginning of September (just to be sure, you're just referring to the game + amiibo bundles, correct?).

Anyway, they're not the only titles that Nintendo price-cutted without the Nintendo Selects treatment, so I still stand by my pattern theory.

...To be fair, that's been pretty true for the past 5 or so years. And when did we get a Mario 64 2?

Pretty much. There's simply no denying that Nintendo's been doing their best to run the Mario franchise (and others) into the ground since like 2011. People can blame marketing all they want, but these WiiU Mario games wouldn't have failed to sell consoles or even beat Sunshine sales-wise if they were as good or innovative as previous Mario games. They also ,,didn't sell well for a WiiU game", the WiiU sold like shit because flagship brands like Mario didn't deliver. The only creative thing they did in this timeframe was Mario Maker - way too late. Everything else has been crammed into the painfully generic NSMB build, like they've become utterly afraid of creating new things. Hence the series failed to sell any WiiUs or itself, because all these Mario titles have become a generic blob that's becoming impossible to differentiate, especially for ordinary videogame consumers. It doesn't matter whether one rehash has a cat suit instead of a squirrel one, that's nothing to write home about.

It's spieler eins' favorite word. All Mario games are rehashes unless they are Mario 64 3.

:lol, I don't know who you are, but stop putting words into my mouth that don't even at all correlate with my arguments that I've made earlier in this thread.

Super Mario Sunshine was Mario 64 with a water gun.

Mario Sunshine pushed the GCN with some of the best graphics of its time and also had very different and unique level design from 64.
That's the thing with most WiiU flagships. They didn't do anything new with gameplay, they didn't offer anything not already on Wii/3DS, they didn't push tech (something like TF or NSMBU might as well be the Wii games running on Dolphin). The WiiU library was a big generic redundancy that sold accordingly.

Malus

FYI, what 10k is claiming on twitter about nicowav and a amd console is completely false.
He gave the podcast link where he think it's been said but not at all the case.

Another day and yet again I'm pinning my hopes on the credibility of insiders I've never heard of until now.

NeonZ

Don't people remember the reactions to 3d World's reveal? Most people weren't impressed at all. The reaction in message boards was mostly negative, while outside of them it seemed to be pretty much ignored. Afterwards there was a more positive reception when later areas were shown, but that's among a much smaller group. It clearly didn't make any kind of mainstream splash.

ozfunghi

If by "graphics intensive" you mean generally demanding on the hardware, I'd say yes. I don't know very much, but I'm pretty sure an increase in resolution is mostly just an increase in GPU demand. When you double the framerate, you're asking everything involved in the rendering of the game to get things done twice as fast, which will require faster results from the CPU and GPU. This is probably a big reason of why many console games run at 30 fps: not only does it reduce the strain on the CPU (if the console is CPU-limited), but it also gives the developers just twice as much time to achieve everything. So you can have much more (2x) complex and visually appealing games at 30 fps.

Many console games also have a dynamic resolution or render below the native resolution in order to reach 60fps, so that goes both ways. I think it depends though. A higher resolution will also mean higher resolution textures are needed, and perhaps also more bandwidth.

I think it really depends on the circumstances, but i'd love to hear from one of the experts here.

MacTag

Banned
Mario Sunshine pushed the GCN with some of the best graphics of its time and also had very different and unique level design from 64.
That's the thing with most WiiU flagships. They didn't do anything new with gameplay, they didn't offer anything not already on Wii/3DS, they didn't push tech (something like TF or NSMBU might as well be the Wii games running on Dolphin). The WiiU library was a big generic redundancy that sold accordingly.
I'd agree about NSMBU and 3D World. Both were great but both also felt very iterative and built directly on Wii and 3DS predecessors. I'd argue they improved on them but it did feel a bit too safe and samey.

On the other hand Mario Maker was a breath of fresh air and easily my favorite Mario since Galaxy. Unfortunately it's also sort of the Mario we needed at launch or in 2013, not at the end of 2015. It just came too late to help push and define the platform.

LordOfChaos

So framerate is more graphics intensive than resolution even if you're pushing the same amount of pixels per second?

He said CPU. Twice the framerate doesn't just mean twice the GPU load, it means the CPU has to update the world at the same rate. Graphics isn't one unified thing.

Resolution increases primarily affect the GPU, and very slightly the CPU
Framerate increases need both.

It's why the x.5 consoles are unlikely to see many 60fps patches if they both still use Jaguar CPUs. The GPUs may be doubled and quadrupled, but if the CPU is only 20% faster, doubling the framerate would have to mean the CPU was idle a lot in the base console versions, or a whole lot of optimization was left on the table.

Meanwhile, the iterative consoles can and will increase resolution despite not much CPU gain.

I want DPM M3000 GPU theory to be true, I don't like nvidia hot chips -___- Anyone have any guesses as to what the 3DS would have been like if Nintendo stayed with Nividia?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Many console games also have a dynamic resolution or render below the native resolution in order to reach 60fps, so that goes both ways. I think it depends though. A higher resolution will also mean higher resolution textures are needed, and perhaps also more bandwidth.

I think it really depends on the circumstances, but i'd love to hear from one of the experts here.

True. Genre seems to play a big role, and then developers have to balance spectacle vs. tech.

Malus

Don't people remember the reactions to 3d World's reveal? Most people weren't impressed at all. Afterwards there was a more positive reception when later areas were shown, but that's among a much smaller group. It clearly didn't make any kind of mainstream splash.

I wonder if most people going forward will be impressed with a 3D Mario that isn't "epic" like Galaxy was. SMG was kind of an anomaly in terms of presentation for the series. Mario games are normally a lot more..quaint.

I guess if they announce it as open world it'll get people's attention. Or come up with a gimmick that has as much impact as space gravity, which is tough. They also need to focus on more graphically intensive scenes and have more upbeat music during the reveal trailer, unlike 3D World's. Not being a sequel would help a lot too. Leaves more room for imagination.

I'd agree about NSMBU and 3D World. Both were great but both also felt very iterative and built directly on Wii and 3DS predecessors. I'd argue they improved on them but it did feel a bit too safe and samey.

Galaxy 2 as well, though I still love that game.

On the other hand Mario Maker was a breath of fresh air and easily my favorite Mario since Galaxy. Unfortunately it's also sort of the Mario we needed at launch or in 2013, not at the end of 2015. It just came too late to help push and define the platform.

Mario Maker is nothing if not built upon it's predecessors. It's a level editor for pete's sake lol.

I'm half expecting the Free Form Display to make an appearance on NX outta nowhere in an unexpected way. Everyone has stopped talking about it.

ozfunghi

I want DPM M3000 GPU theory to be true, I don't like nvidia hot chips -___- Anyone have any guesses as to what the 3DS would have been like if Nintendo stayed with Nividia?

No idea, but i'd guess better graphics, more expensive, worse battery life?

True. Genre seems to play a big role, and then developers have to balance spectacle vs. tech.

The original quote was about CPU it seems, not about GPU (or "graphic intensive" as James Scott put it). I was thinking primarily about the graphics side. LordOfChaos probably is correct with his assessment.

Why would you prefer DMP over NVIDIA? Not sure what they could provide that NVIDIA can't

I don't understand mobile GPU, But I love the 3DS so more of that. I never seen a Nvidia tablet that was not crazy Hot while running games. Again, I don't understand MGPU..forgive my noobishness

No idea, but i'd guess better graphics, more expensive, worse battery life?

The original quote was about CPU it seems, not about GPU (or "graphic intensive" as James Scott put it). I was thinking primarily about the graphics side. LordOfChaos probably is correct with his assessment.

I figured as much, did sony do the same with PS VITA? Like do they have super powerful GPU so that the system gets hot but has fans or something?

Yeah Nintendo needed Splatoon and Mario Maker at or near launch. SM3DW, TF, NSMBU, SSB4, and MK8 were great games but they did little to sell the system to you as it seemed like more of the same. More of the same isn't inherently bad but when they had nothing new and interesting to show in addition to those games, the system tanked.

Don't people remember the reactions to 3d World's reveal? Most people weren't impressed at all. The reaction in message boards was mostly negative, while outside of them it seemed to be pretty much ignored. Afterwards there was a more positive reception when later areas were shown, but that's among a much smaller group. It clearly didn't make any kind of mainstream splash.

That fellow Nintendo-gafers is what we call, "Revisionist History"

Neoxon

Yeah Nintendo needed Splatoon and Mario Maker at or near launch. SM3DW, TF, NSMBU, SSB4, and MK8 were great games but they did little to sell the system to you as it seemed like more of the same. More of the same isn't inherently bad but when they had nothing new and interesting to show in addition to those games, the system tanked.
Didn't Smash 4 & MK8 help move units?

Branduil

Better marketing, a different name, and Splatoon and Mario Maker close to launch probably would have helped the Wii U. I mean, it would likely still be selling at or below Gamecube levels, but those games would have been much bigger system sellers than the ones we got.

It didn't make a splash with the "mainstream," though.

If that had been the case, 3D World would have done a much better job of moving Wii Us.
Not sure what splash you mean, but it sold over 5 million units and it got a 93% on Metacritic. Seems pretty mainstream to me. People didn't want the system so they didn't get the game.

If that had been the case, 3D World would have done a much better job of moving Wii Us.

What does that even mean really? They made a critically acclaimed game that was a successor to another critically acclaimed game and major seller. If it didn't move Wii U's despite its quality than maybe it's because the Wii U itself really wasn't that compelling of a buy. If that's the case I doubt any 3D Mario game would be able to move Wii U's.

Neoxon

Not sure what splash you mean, but it sold over 5 million units and it got a 93% on Metacritic. Seems pretty mainstream to me. People didn't want the system so they didn't get the game.
Spieler Eins is under the belief that the Wii U's "sub-par" library is what caused it to fail, not its expensive price tag, lack of third party support, or confusing marketing.

I'm curious how much games will be for the NX as its a hybrid. Handheld gamers will likely scoff at $60 for a new game, but there's no way they can undercut Zelda on the Wii U by $20 either, right? $50 then?

Variable pricing. Zelda's not gonna' be less than $60 but there will surely be plenty of NX games in the $30-$40 range.

Astral Dog

Not neccessarily, no, i dont see games changing resolution always change the quality of their textures, only if they are a remaster or ultra HD port.

Ridley327

3D World had the unenviable task of coming out right when new consoles were launching, so a lot of dollars were already tied up. They could have made a game that would have made Spieler Eins' heart grow three sizes that day, and I think it still would have struggled immensely against the one-two punch of new consoles at that time.

Then again, I don't think Nintendo could have done anything for the Wii U to combat that hype. They put so much of their chips on the 3DS that year, and even that wound up backfiring, despite the great sales for Pokemon X/Y.

Spieler Eins is under the belief that the Wii U's "sub-par" library is what caused it to fail, not its expensive price tag, lack of third party support, or confusing marketing.
It was labeled as an inferior product with a complex controller whose price still hasn't dropped from $300. I'm pretty sure it's not that the games got bad.

MDave

Nvidia releasing a new Shield Console must mean they make some money out of it to keep that part of the business going, good thing for Tegra chips in the future. Also means cheaper X1/X2 for Nintendo?

King_Moc

Banned

So explain the success of the PS4 then? What new gameplay concepts are being pushed?

As for Mario Sunshine's graphics, I'm pretty sure I remember everyone being pretty negative about those when it was first shown off. I know I was. Nice water, but everything else was meh.

Didn't Smash 4 & MK8 help move units?

There are many factors that contributed to the Wii U failing, a lack of software and a lack of unique software that sold the hardware are among some of them.

I'm curious how much games will be for the NX as its a hybrid. Handheld gamers will likely scoff at $60 for a new game, but there's no way they can undercut Zelda on the Wii U by $20 either, right? $50 then?
Yeah, we used to talk about this in the NX first speculation thread. I'd love to see a wide range of pricing resulting in the return of mid tier experimental games. Not sure if people would like $60 for portable games but I'm not sure Nintendo will want to lose that. I do think $50 might be the way to go like Wii before it for their big titles. $30-40 for mid tier efforts would be cool and then eShop titles that can be from like $5-20.

Simbabbad

Funny how Splatoon went from "will sell less than Wonderful 101 and is a waste of development time" to "it should have released at Wii U launch and would have saved the Wii U".

If this thing gets delayed again, I sweater God...
I could manage a delay just fine really, but I'm curious to know what it is, and get news. In particular I'd really like to hears news about Mario Maker on NX, since the thing apparently has a touchscreen and can work as a portable console, it's a given.

brainpann

Ive been thinking about the NX as a hybrid and I think its not correct term. Ive cone to the conclusion that the NX is a portable home console, essentially doing what the Wii U did but in reverse-which to me makes more sense. The plus side of this scenario is that Nintendo could easily produce a more streamlined, more portable version down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom