• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Mario Sunshine's graphics, I'm pretty sure I remember everyone being pretty negative about those when it was first shown off. I know I was. Nice water, but everything else was meh.

Yeah, the reviews at that time didn't really thought the graphics were anything special. The water was (and somehow still is...) amazing but the textures, low poly models and cgi sequences were in the critic. The level design was good but a lot of people missed the variety of Mario 64 in terms of the level themes. And a lot of harsh words the designers got for their uninspired mission design aka getting the coins and the awful camera.
So sunshine was a mixed bag and that from the time of its release till today. Of course everyone is free to love one game and hate another but that doesn't mean that the game you don't like is just pure shit.

Edit:
Interesting that for some 6 months is a too short time period of hyping up a system. 6 months is more than enough and even if they reveal it soon you won't hear much about the NX till january. Its a doubled edged sword really. On the one hand you don't want to push a system which isn't out right in time for christmas and on the other hand you want all the people wait to spend their money for other consoles before march. Seems like a tricky marketing is ahead of them...again. :/

Discomurf

If this thing gets delayed again, I sweater God...

img-thing

I imagine any kind of announcement of an event will be delayed until at least next week at this point.

Mario Sunshine pushed the GCN with some of the best graphics of its time and also had very different and unique level design from 64.
That's the thing with most WiiU flagships. They didn't do anything new with gameplay, they didn't offer anything not already on Wii/3DS, they didn't push tech (something like TF or NSMBU might as well be the Wii games running on Dolphin). The WiiU library was a big generic redundancy that sold accordingly.

Mario Sunshine was pretty much a Mario 64 reskin, at least according to your logic. Same basic story, same controls, similar level design and same basic mission structure. Only major difference was Fludd. And yeah Fludd's shooting makes for a better combat in 3D Space and hovering allows for some better platforming but Fludd was not a game changing addition the Mario series needed.

Hell, I argue that Mario Sunshine is worse than Mario 64. The mission design is atrocious. Like tell me again how much fun it is to get Yoshi to a distant island while not touching the water only to do one of the worst pieces of level design in a Nintendo game. Tell me again how much better that is than anything in 3D World.

Nintendo games are mostly defined by their quality. There were other 3D platformers, hell some of them good, before Miyamoto and crew came in dicks swinging and said "We could do better." Nintendo games first and foremost are good. Even the worst ones are forgettable and it doesn't happen that often. They never made a bad game and if you try to argue by saying "Federation Force" or "Mario Party 9" then you're wrong. Flat out. And yeah, Nintendo games could be used as a tool to showcase their wacky ideas. Wii Sports was damn near a lightning in a bottle genius when it comes to demonstrating a brand new console. Even the Wii U had games like Nintendoland which is still one of the best showcases for the gamepad ever.

I can't help but feel you're looking at things with rose tinted glasses. Yes, Nintendo made tons of great stuff during the Gamecube but it's another thing to ignore what they've learned in the decade since then. It's easy to track to. You could easily see how Mario 3D World's level designed evolved since the first Sunshine and they've made better games since then.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Dumb question:

Who is Emily Rogers?

Good question. I don't know a huge amount about her, but she seems to be someone who knows some people (rather than being an insider herself) and hears info from them and occasionally posts about it. She's been right about some things and wrong about others. Other rumors, like Mother 3 and her NX stuff, have yet to be confirmed one way or another. I know her history around the time of Wii U is very rough, and she's been a bit more consistent in more recent years but still occasionally wrong. (I don't have a record of her rumors on-hand, so this is based on memory.)

Sometimes people also take her word as gospel when she calls it a rumor or misinterpret what she says. For example, people like to say she was wrong about Mother 3 coming to the US because it hasn't happened yet, but she never said it would happen at E3 or anything. Also, note how this rumor says it was a prototype she heard about, but there will inevitably be some people later who say she was wrong if the final product isn't 6.2", 720p, and multi-touch. Her track record is mixed, and her reputation is often blind to the nuance that her more recent rumors present. That said, she said she'd heard a rumor that BotW would have a playable female character, and so far that doesn't seem like it happened (though it apparently was considered). So it's not like her rumors are something to be taken without a grain (or lots of grains) of salt. Since I generally trust people, I'd guess that her accuracy is likely because she's hearing stuff through the grapevine and might also be hearing echoes of things that were once true but no longer are. (For example, I could see Mother 3 getting released in the US next year on NX's Virtual Console).

She recently said she was going to make a post on her blog in response to an email she received asking about who she is, so you might get a better answer soon.

MoonFrog

I don't think Spieler Eins is right, but I do think he has a point. Wii U software, in my experience, has been largely competent and polished but lacking in genius in favor of 'playing things safe.'

Take 3D World: It is a fact that the 3D series exists to bring 3D Mario in line with NSMB because the latter sells better than 3D Mario games. Miyamoto is on record numerous times talking about how 3D gaming left people behind and how that needed to be addressed. It is, moreover, evident in the game design of the 3D series, if Land more so than World. So you go from Galaxy, which was a revolution in 3D platforming, to a game that had as its mission to reset 3D platforming and bring it more in line with the NSMB series. The world design, art design, level design, etc. was brought somewhere between Galaxy 2 and NSMB.

Artistically and gameplay wise, the NSMB are very safe and have a rather bland aesthetic, at least in the eyes of many. You here it all the time. They are NSMB as in, so to speak, MB 1&2 (Japan), not as in MB 1, 2, 3, & World. Bringing that sort of direction to 3D Mario is going to disappoint a lot of people. I include myself among them. The project presents itself as a devolutionary rather than revolutionary project and that is on purpose.

On the other hand, there is plenty of Galaxy 2, which already was a step towards 2D Mario rules, preserved in 3D world in game design. I also remember it much better than any NSMB, which I tend to forget as soon as I've played. The game was fun, polished, and a good Galaxy 2 successor that hid its ambitions behind a coat of paint designed to lure people from NSMB to 3D Mario. It was trying not to appear to be the next big 3D platformer while being the next big 3D platformer.

This idea that 2D platformers were the big item is evident throughout the entire Wii U and late Wii library. There is an overabundance of such games on Wii U when a more diversified catalog could have turned more heads. TF may be one of the best 2D platformers ever, but the idea that Retro should also be making 2D platformers was a bad one. I don't get why we understand this point when we argue Nintendo should not go third party for the sake of the breadth of their catalog but fail to register this point when it comes to critiquing the Wii U library.

Yes, BotW looks like ambitious Nintendo again. Yes, Splatoon and Mario Maker look like ambitious Nintendo again. But all of these things are coming way too late.

I think the Wii U library is good. It has the most compelling exclusives to me of any console this generation so far. At the same time, the catalog is incredibly narrow and it pales in terms of ambition and artistic imagination compared to previous Nintendo catalogs. I think both of these things can be true. Is the latter the reason why Wii U failed? Not alone, no. But it definitely is part of it.

NX needs a broader Nintendo first party and revolutionary projects. BotW is looking to be one. Miyamoto is hinting at the next Mario being one. We'll have to see how things pan out.

ggx2ac

I don't understand mobile GPU, But I love the 3DS so more of that. I never seen a Nvidia tablet that was not crazy Hot while running games. Again, I don't understand MGPU..forgive my noobishness

The 3DS was running off really old tech compared to a Tegra 2.

The PICA200 was a 65nm GPU from around 2008 shrunk down to 45nm and underclocked to 133MHz from 200MHz.

The Tegra 2 was a 40nm GPU which ran at around 333MHz. It's understandable if it ran hot but Nvidia got better at their craft in later generations.

A 16nm Pascal-based Tegra would be magnitudes better in performance and power consumption compared to a Tegra 2.

You say you don't like Mobile GPUs but want DMP which makes no sense since the DMP M3000 can be used for mobile devices and Tablets as described in their press release.

Edit: Corrected a mistake.

Note that the 3DS used pretty old ARM CPUs too compared to what the Tegra 2 had. Keep that in mind for when Nintendo upped the clockspeed of the CPU in the New 3DS.

Tegra 2 had a dual core ARM Cortex A9 which ran up to 1.2GHz

Good question. I don't know a huge amount about her, but she seems to be someone who knows some people (rather than being an insider herself) and hears info from them and occasionally posts about it. She's been right about some things and wrong about others. Other rumors, like Mother 3 and her NX stuff, have yet to be confirmed one way or another. I know her history around the time of Wii U is very rough, and she's been a bit more consistent in more recent years but still occasionally wrong. (I don't have a record of her rumors on-hand, so this is based on memory.)

Sometimes people also take her word as gospel when she calls it a rumor or misinterpret what she says. For example, people like to say she was wrong about Mother 3 coming to the US because it hasn't happened yet, but she never said it would happen at E3 or anything. Also, note how this rumor says it was a prototype she heard about, but there will inevitably be some people later who say she was wrong if the final product isn't 6.2", 720p, and multi-touch. Her track record is mixed, and her reputation is often blind to the nuance that her more recent rumors present. That said, she said she'd heard a rumor that BotW would have a playable female character, and so far that doesn't seem like it happened (though it apparently was considered). So it's not like her rumors are something to be taken without a grain (or lots of grains) of salt. Since I generally trust people, I'd guess that her accuracy is likely because she's hearing stuff through the grapevine and might also be hearing echoes of things that were once true but no longer are. (For example, I could see Mother 3 getting released in the US next year on NX's Virtual Console).

She recently said she was going to make a post on her blog in response to an email she received asking about who she is, so you might get a better answer soon.

Cool, thanks.

Banned
Follow-up: Why would she have any knowledge of the NX?

I'm not discounting it, I'm just trying to get up to date re: the source.
Over the years she's gained many contacts throughout the industry pertaining to Nintendo. These contacts very in occupation, from developer to journalist to marketing employees, etc.

I'm the beginning when she started out reporting rumors she'd heard, alot of it didn't come true so people shat on her. Namely GTA V coming to Wii U (even though I'm sure Rockstar had a working prototype on it and chose to not release it because of the install base, kind of like EA with Crysis 3)

But for the last three years or so she's been pretty solid and leaked some stuff such as the unification of the 3DS and Wii U eShop, the shared wallets amounts, Paper Mario Color Splash, etc.

She also hinted at NX using Nvidia back in May and destroyed the AMD home console rumors with specs above PS4 that some douche canoe 10k posted back in April. She claimed it would be below Xbox One but it's hard to compare specs due to using differebt architectures. Eurogamer than posted their reports a couple weeks later backing up what she's been saying about NX for awhile.

Basically she's a rare breed. An insider with Nintendo info. Nintendo is a tough but to Crack when comparing what leaks come out of their camp to the open books of Sony and Microsoft lol.

Follow-up: Why would she have any knowledge of the NX?

The same reason why any other journalist might have knowledge of NX: connections to insiders.

Also, I feel I should point out that we should consider "insiders" to be the people actually "inside" the organization from which leaks are coming, not the external people they're leaking info to.

I don't think Spieler Eins is right, but I do think he has a point. Wii U software, in my experience, has been largely competent and polished but lacking in genius in favor of 'playing things safe.'
Very few make games like that so I don't think it's an issue of safe software entirely. Emily Rogers wrote about it before how Wii U's horrible public image with 3DS getting a lot of previously console exclusive experiences made Wii U seem pretty unnecessary for a lot of people even Nintendo fans.
I've seen a lot of Nintendo fans that stuck with 3DS because they got Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda there and then titles like NSMB2 and DKCR3D made the Wii U sequels seem less special/necessary.
This won't be an issue going forward, thankfully, and it'll be at least one aspect that Nintendo can address. As long as the software line up is strong and the price is good they'll do pretty well

She 'leaks' Nintendo things from time to time. Some of them are real sometimes, and sometimes they aren't.

On the leaker scale, she's above 10k and SMD64, but below Kotaku.

That's a decent way to put it, actually. Don't believe everything she says, but also don't immediately discount it.

She's not an insider, but she does have her sources. Some of them are pretty bad, but some of them are seemingly legit. Personally, I think most of her information comes from journalists and similar types of people, rather than someone that works at Nintendo. I haven't seen any sort of evidence that makes me think otherwise.

Malus

She may have a reliable source. But she also has multiple make believe ones.

SuperMetalDave has had the only veritable legit leak out of all of them. A big one actually. So he wins.

Wins what though? Credibility? He doesn't seem to be in touch with the source of that leak anymore, so it doesn't amount to anything going forward.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The 2DS got a price cut, not the 3DS.

He got some stuff right, he got some stuff wrong, just like Emily.

Jinketsu

SuperMetalDave has had the only veritable legit leak out of all of them. A big one actually. So he wins.

That's the kind of mentality I hate about people trying too hard to be the first to leak things. You know that's exactly the kind of mindset he's got, given his attitude towards all these other people with credible past leak histories giving conflicting information to his.

It furthermore leads to how credible "leakers" are. If they get some things right, but some things wrong, then they were never right to begin with and must have just gotten lucky with the few things they got right. That doesn't make them credible. That just means they were either incredibly lucky, or have an educated point of view of the market to have a well enough idea to guess correctly.

In my opinion, the most credible source I've seen with things is NateDrake on here, because he's civil about what he talks about, teases that he has more but can't say, and doesn't necessarily boast about it or give that damn "LOOK AT ME" kind of attitude. (For the most part. I mean, if he really didn't care he wouldn't be leaking anything, right?)

AntMurda

Wins what though? Credibility? He doesn't seem to be in touch with the source of that leak anymore, so it doesn't amount to anything going forward.

Does he pretend he has a source at NCL one week, GameFreak the other, and retro studios on week 3?

ggx2ac

I can't imagine anyone wanting to be Trev's insider again since it's most likely his insider got caught when Trev decided to leak exactly everything in the document he was given.

Trev even had to go off of YouTube for a while and had to remove YouTube videos by request of Nintendo.

Edit:I quoted wrong person earlier.

Too bad SMD isn't claiming to have an inside source (because he doesn't have one anymore)

I wanted to make a topic about the Retro rumor and reveal around September 20th for NX, since this guy has credibility.

I'll have to grab all of his previous leaks and this current one. All we have is poster saying he heard this guy say it on a stream?

Doctre81

Make believe ones? lol Based on what? Just because not everything you hear comes into frutition does not mean your sources are "fake".

CrisKre

I wanted to make a topic about the Retro rumor and reveal around September 20th for NX, since this guy has credibility.

I'll have to grab all of his previous leaks and this current one. All we have is poster saying he heard this guy say it on a stream?
What is this rumor?

MoonFrog

Very few make games like that so I don't think it's an issue of safe software entirely. Emily Rogers wrote about it before how Wii U's horrible public image with 3DS getting a lot of previously console exclusive experiences made Wii U seem pretty unnecessary for a lot of people even Nintendo fans.
I've seen a lot of Nintendo fans that stuck with 3DS because they got Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda there and then titles like NSMB2 and DKCR3D made the Wii U sequels seem less special/necessary.
This won't be an issue going forward, thankfully, and it'll be at least one aspect that Nintendo can address. As long as the software line up is strong and the price is good they'll do pretty well

That's also part of it. I put very high standards on Nintendo. I think a lot of us do. Nintendo has a history of mostly living up to them, in my opinion. I'd say Wii U has some key catalog deficiencies, overabundances, and unfortunate design decisions that makes it live up less so than predecessors.

But yes, software consolidation is excellent for NX and there is a hint of promise in future software.

I can't be the only one who thinks that's merely a setup to announcing Mario Galaxy 3 for NX. That 3DS design is so completely random. It has to be leading to something.

Reggie had an announcement out of this world felt so trolling like he was about to say something about NX lol. Of course that line though does fit to announce the space Galaxy 3DS. I would love if it meant a Super Mario Galaxy 3 though. Some have said the Galaxy style cover is popular though.

We're a small percentage of crazies when it comes down to it.

Yeah, you're right we are just a few crazies in the millions of people who don't even know about NX. I'm sure the guys at NoA read this and tell Reggie how we're hungry for NX info though lol.

What is this rumor?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215323662

Apparently this guy has leaked things before so he has credibility.

BD1

Banned
3D World suffered the same fate as NSMBU - franchise fatigue.

After the mind melting awesomeness of Mario Galaxy, expectation was high about something equally as amazing from EAD Tokyo. I'll never forget my own disappointment when that trailer ran, and the camera panned back and it looked like a really beautiful version of 3D Land.

I loved 3D Land, but I wanted something different on Wii U. I never shook that feeling of disappointment with 3D World, even though its a really good game.

Nanashrew

Banned

According to the previous NX thread before it was locked, Trev may no longer have that source and outed them to Nintendo when the suits came knocking at his door forcing him to delete everything.

He loses here. Easily. If you have a source, you protect them. I feel as though if he still had a credible source, he'd have gone into much more detail by now and probably would have beaten some sites to the punch. So far he and Happy Nintendo Fan are desperately seeking out anything for SoC wins and people's Linkedin pages, and have nothing very credible, just baseless speculation. Happy Nintendo Fan going as far as even lying by using Japanese slides instead of English slides.

Meanwhile Emily and everyone else are pretty much on the same page.

MuchoMalo

Banned

And he lost that source like 2 weeks later. It seems that he has a few fake ones now though, based on how he's acting.

According to the previous NX thread before it was locked, Trev may no longer have that source and outed them to Nintendo when the suits came knocking at his door forcing him to delete everything.

He loses here. Easily. If you have a source, you protect them. I feel as though if he still had a credible source, he'd have gone into much more detail by now and probably would have beaten some sites to the punch. So far he and Happy Nintendo Fan are desperately seeking out anything for SoC wins and people's Linkedin pages, and have nothing very credible, just baseless speculation. Happy Nintendo Fan going as far as even lying by using Japanese slides instead of English slides.

Yeah. One major part of being a successful insider is to protect your sources so that they can trust you. There has to be good judgement on what you can say and what you shouldn't even hint about. Trev, even with the sources' consent, should have known better than to leak out budget info to the public. At the end, it gave us little relevant info since the NX and Zelda was pushed into next year.

The 3DS was running off really old tech compared to a Tegra 2.

The PICA200 was a 65nm GPU from around 2008 shrunk down to 45nm and underclocked to 133MHz from 200MHz.

The Tegra 2 was a 40nm GPU which ran at around 333MHz. It's understandable if it ran hot but Nvidia got better at their craft in later generations.

A 16nm Pascal-based Tegra would be magnitudes better in performance and power consumption compared to a Tegra 2.

You say you don't like Mobile GPUs but want DMP which makes no sense since the DMP M3000 can be used for mobile devices and Tablets as described in their press release.

Edit: Corrected a mistake.

Note that the 3DS used pretty old ARM CPUs too compared to what the Tegra 2 had. Keep that in mind for when Nintendo upped the clockspeed of the CPU in the New 3DS.

Tegra 2 had a dual core ARM Cortex A9 which ran up to 1.2GHz

That is a ton of power in Tegra 2, so who wins in a fight Tegra 2 vs DMP M3000? Who gets hotter and who is more powerful? Is Tegra 2 Kid Buu and DMP M3000 SS3 Goku?

MuchoMalo

Banned
That is a ton of power in Tegra 2, so who wins in a fight Tegra 2 vs DMP M3000? Who gets hotter and who is more powerful? Is Tegra 2 Kid Buu and DMP M3000 SS3 Goku?

I can't tell if you meant to say "Tegra X2" (though I don't know why we're still calling it this when it's not being called that) instead of "Tegra 2" or "PICA 200" instead of "DMP M3000".

A source who revealed a stupid amount of information, and who he immediately threw under the bus. What a win.

I can't tell if you meant to say "Tegra X2" (though I don't know why we're still calling it this when it's not being called that) instead of "Tegra 2" or "PICA 200" instead of "DMP M3000".

Sorry, so the Tegra is call X2 and the DMP M3000 is called PICA 200? Sooooo Tegra X2 (kid buu) vs PICA 200 (SS3 Goku). Did I get that right?

AntMurda

SMD may have lost his mind after his leak. Maybe he will be vindicated, maybe he won't with the whole X86 crusade. But Emily is still selling you guys a bridge.

Unless it's Reggie or Bill Trinnen themselves, no one but a super high end authority at Nintendo would know what NCL R&D, Retro Studios, and GameFreak are all working on. No one. It's crazy to me that people defend her.

SMD may have lost his mind after his leak. Maybe he will be vindicated, maybe he won't with the whole X86 crusade. But Emily is still selling you guys a bridge.

Unless it's Reggie or Bill Trinnen themselves, no one but a super high end authority at Nintendo would know what NCL R&D, Retro Studios, and GameFreak are all working on. No one.

Don't forget Sakurai baby!! (I want a RPG IP by him)

Doctre81

Unless it's Reggie or Bill Trinnen themselves, no one but a super high end authority at Nintendo would know what NCL R&D, Retro Studios, and GameFreak are all working on. No one. It's crazy to me that people defend her.

Some of the stuff she leaked wasn't from either of them though.

NateDrake

A bridge built with support from reputable outlets.

Instro

Sorry, so the Tegra is call X2 and the DMP M3000 is called PICA 200? Sooooo Tegra X2 (kid buu) vs PICA 200 (SS3 Goku). Did I get that right?

The Tegra 2(Nvidia) and Pica 200(DMP) are old. The former being what was originally planned for the 3DS, but it didn't work out and the Pica 200 was used. The Tegra X2 is the upcoming Tegra offering from Nvidia, and the DMP M3000 is the current offering from DMP. The former is what is rumored for the NX. Hope this helps.

The Tegra 2(Nvidia) and Pica 200(DMP) are old. The former being what was originally planned for the 3DS, but it didn't work out and the Pica 200 was used. The Tegra X2 is the upcoming Tegra offering from Nvidia, and the DMP M3000 is the current offering from DMP. The former is what is rumored for the NX. Hope this helps.

Yes very much, now I understand!! Thank you ever so much.

ggx2ac

The Tegra 2 was the SoC that was going to be used in the 3DS. The PICA200 is the GPU inside of the 3DS.

The details on the DMP M3000 are vague. There are no good technical specs on it.

There is no Tegra X2.

AntMurda

A bridge built with support from reputable outlets.

She has a connection to Tom Phillips Eurogamer story. She didn't break the story, but is somehow in cahoots with the author at least. But back to my main point, that isn't the bridge she is selling, it's the above I quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom