• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 DLC: Automatron ($10), WW ($5), Far Harbor ($25), More; Season Pass -> $50

Montresor

Please, quantify the difference.

The big difference is perception and value proposition - I get it, objectively they are technically the same thing.

From my perspective, this released as $30 season pass and there is nothing that will convince me that $30 has all of a sudden, overnight transformed into a steal of a price. $30 is expensive, $30 is the base season pass price that we've come to know for months, and $30 is what has been on my mind for this game since the season pass was first announced.

With the $50 price hike I'm not suddenly going to start thinking that $30 is a great price.

rjinaz

This is absolutely ridiculous.

This is a $30 season pass that got a price hike for no reason.

This isn't a $50 season pass that early adopters are getting nearly half off.

Huge difference between the two.

The reason is in the OP. What comes with the pass is going to be worth more in value than $30. It was always their plan to raise the price of the season pass. That was the appeal, early adapters get a discount. This is not new information.

I'd really like to know how big the Far Harbor DLC is, just saying it has the largest landmass doesn't really mean anything to me without some sort of comparison. What makes it worth $15 more than any of the other Fallout DLC that's been released?

The reason is in the OP. What comes with the pass is going to be worth more in value than $30. It was always their plan to raise the price of the season pass. That was the appeal, early adapters get a discount. This is not new information.

I was always under the impression that getting the season pass would be cheaper than buying the DLC individually, but I don't recall ever hearing that the cost of the season pass would be increasing.

The big difference is perception and value proposition - I get it, objectively they are technically the same thing.

From my perspective, this released as $30 season pass and there is nothing that will convince me that $30 has all of a sudden, overnight transformed into a steal of a price. $30 is expensive, $30 is the base season pass price that we've come to know for months, and $30 is what has been on my mind for this game since the season pass was first announced.

With the $50 price hike I'm not suddenly going to start thinking that $30 is a great price.

They literally said either pre-launch, or right after, that they were selling the season pass at a special $30 price temporarily.

I remember it distinctly because I wondered what would be in it, and how much more it would cost at full price.

gosox333

wat

we had no idea that they would raise the price of the pass until today. Ergo, we had no idea that early adopters were paying less until today

that's new information in my books

Quonny

If the DLC is worth $50 then I'll spend $50 when the time comes. I'm not falling for this "deal" until I see what the content actually is.

rjinaz

wat

we had no idea that they would raise the price of the pass until today. Ergo, we had no idea that early adopters were paying less until today

that's new information in my books

You're right, I'm confusing information in my head because I always figured this would go this way.

What was said is that buying the season pass would give players the chance to save money rather than buying the DLC straightout once it was released. $30 for $40 worth on content or more.
We've always done a lot of DLC for our games. We love making them and you always ask us for more. To reward our most loyal fans, this time we’ll be offering a Season Pass that will get you all of the Fallout 4 DLC we ever do for just $30. Since we’re still hard at work on the game, we don’t know what the actual DLC will be yet, but it will start coming early next year. Based on what we did for Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim, we know that it will be worth at least $40, and if we do more, you'll get it all with the Season Pass.

The assumption was that they would either stop selling the pass or raise the price.

Here's the original gaf thread if you want to give it a read for what others thought about this back in September.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109285

Sigh.

I look at this stuff, and then I just remember the lame quests and stories and factions and realize the DLC will only really add to that.

Well, we can only hope the stories and quests of the DLCs have stepped things up.

I'd honestly want DLC that beefs up the factions and adds new quests to flesh them out.

We STILL don't really know much about what the hell the Institute was even really doing. Maybe a Old World Blues style DLC at a secret institute base

For now? I'll wait on reviews, maybe pick up the goty one day.

Fact is, Bethesda doesn't really know what the institute is doing. Despite being the focal point of FO4 the institute was less intriguing than how they were presented in a small handful of missions in FO3.

sadly you're never given any explanation of what the institute is doing, how they're supposedly saving the Commonwealth, or why they need more power. If you choose to help them, despite being the goddam head of the institute, you're completely in the dark as to what their objective is. This isn't the case for the other factions, but it makes for a lame antagonist.

rjinaz

Itll be much morncheaper if u wait a few more months

If you're a pc gamer this is true. But if you play FO4 on consoles like I do then you'll have to wait for a game of the year edition, which is fine, if you want to wait. DLC is rarely discounted by Bethesda. Priorities and all that if waiting is worth it.

StereoVsn

If you're a pc gamer this is true. But if you play FO4 on consoles like I do then you'll have to wait for a game of the year edition, which is fine, if you want to wait. DLC is rarely discounted by Bethesda. Priorities and all that if waiting is worth it.

I don't even see it being much cheaper on PC unless you wait a year or two. Skyrim DLCs got discounted to 50% only after a year or so after release. Skyrim Game of the Year edition was not highly discounted for a while. If Bethesda holds to same idea with Fallout 4, its unlikely that one will see anything less then $25 for a year or two at best.

You can get it for $24 right now at GMG. That said, I am still debating. The smaller two DLCs don't particularly interest me and the bigger $25 one I am suspicious about size/quality considering Skyrim DLC price/quality at $20 each.

AU Tiger

Nope. Too expensive IMO for add on stuff to a game that already has me bored out of my mind.

I'll wait till it's all on sale and there is compelling stuff from the community being made with the creation kit.

Gnilres

Went ahead and bought a season pass from someone in the B/S/T thread for $26. Seems about worth it to me depending on how large Far Harbor will be.

poodaddy

I already have the season pass for PS4 but now I feel like I should probably grab it for PC too before it goes up in price, but I don't even have the game on PC yet. Decisions man.....

Can't believe so many gaffers are falling for this tbh. "shit it's gonna be more expensive soon, I gotta buy now and secure a good deal" is exactly what they want you to think so you're locked into buying a product that might end up being bad value for money and/or lower quality than you're expecting

Can't believe so many gaffers are falling for this tbh. "shit it's gonna be more expensive soon, I gotta buy now and secure a good deal" is exactly what they want you to think so you're locked into buying a product that might end up being bad value for money and/or lower quality than you're expecting

So, people aren't making informed decisions based on the given information and their past experience with Bethesda DLC.

There's no falling for anything. There's plenty to base a decision on right now.

I might buy the pass for the 30 because yes, I want it cheaper IF I want to commit to that. But that also means I have to also actually play Fallout 4 to see if it's a game I want more content out of like FO3 or TES4.

Well played Bethesda, but I'm not falling for this.

Even though Far Harbor seems interesting, based on F4, 80% of it will be Radiant AI quests.

They state the season pass is now going to contain $60 worth of content, what they have announced is worth $40. So anyone thinking they are going to release another dlc later on that is similar in "size" to Far Harbor is incorrect, since it will likely be smaller packs to fill out the rest of 2016.

Tingle

Well played Bethesda, but I'm not falling for this.

Even though Far Harbor seems interesting, based on F4, 80% of it will be Radiant AI quests.

They state the season pass is now going to contain $60 worth of content, what they have announced is worth $40. So anyone thinking they are going to release another dlc similar in "size" to Far Harbor is incorrect, since it will likely be smaller packs to fill out the rest of 2016.

Unless you have some weird obsession with sitting through the Radiant AI quests, they don't make up 80 percent of any Fallout or TES expansion or game.

And you got those prices wrong. It was 30 dollars, now its 50 as of March 1st. They claim it has 50 dollars worth of content. If you want all of the DLC announced, the 30 dollar pack is less. And you have no reason to think they won't do another large content thing. Even if its not the same as Far Harbor, even in Skyrim they did two large packs, as opposed to last gen's Fallout approach of many small DLCs.

Edit: Wait, you were right about the prices. Sorry for the confusion.

So, people aren't making informed decisions based on the given information and their past experience with Bethesda DLC.

There's no falling for anything. There's plenty to base a decision on right now.

All we have to base decisions on as of now are a few screenshots and some sales pitch text from Bethesda. Who knows how the content will actually turn out? It could live up to Bethesda's track record or it could also not be worth the asking price

Unless you have some weird obsession with sitting through the Radiant AI quests, they don't make up 80 percent of any Fallout or TES expansion or game.

And you got those prices wrong. It was 30 dollars, now its 50 as of March 1st. They claim it has 50 dollars worth of content. If you want all of the DLC announced, the 30 dollar pack is less. And you have no reason to think they won't do another large content thing. Even if its not the same as Far Harbor, even in Skyrim they did two large packs, as opposed to last gen's Fallout approach of many small DLCs.

Edit: Wait, you were right about the prices. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah I think you meant the prices, no worries.

If you bought it, hopefully it satisfies your expectations when it releases.

Tingle

Yeah I think you meant the prices, no worries.

If you bought it, hopefully it satisfies your expectations when it releases.

I'm still confused where your thought process on the lesser DLCs is coming from. Bethesda actually has a good track record for the opposite. Dawngaurd to Dragonborn is probably the most obvious example, but I believe the Fallout DLCs in the past were received the same.

Tingle

Compared to the clowns that predict Far Harbor is going to be worth $25 based off a single sales blurb?

No, I think its based on the sale blurb and Bethesda's relatively good track record. They claim its the largest DLC they have done, and unless they just make an empty playground, the 25 seems at least somewhat reasonable based on that.

I honestly wouldn't ever pay 25 for one DLC, but 30 for the set sounds okay to me. I'd probably be fine with 30 for just the three they listed, even if the first two are mostly ignorable content-wise.

The fact they raised the price actually excites me. We'll be getting more content than they initially anticipated it seems. I'm in for $30.

Far Harbor seems like traditional Bethesda expansion stuff, akin to Shivering Isles and Dragonborn.

NJD316

Neo Member
Apologies if this has been talked about earlier in the thread but, is there any chance that Beth considers these 3 DLCs the first "season" with the intention of flogging you another season pass for the rest?

They've used some cleverly worded copy in that blog post which doesn't completely rule out this idea.

Klart

Apologies if this has been talked about earlier in the thread but, is there any chance that Beth considers these 3 DLCs the first "season" with the intention of flogging you another season pass for the rest?

They've used some cleverly worded copy in that blog post which doesn't completely rule out this idea.

Nah, I think it's pretty clear. We get 60 bucks of content for a (now) 30 / (later) 50 dollar season pass.

For now three pieces of DLC have been announced, 1 for 10 bucks, one for 5 bucks and one for 25 bucks.

That leaves 20 bucks of DLC to be released in the season pass.

Compared to the clowns that predict Far Harbor is going to be worth $25 based off a single sales blurb?

Probably due to the established pedigree of Bethesda dlc. Basically everything over $20 has been old school expansion sized content.

Even their $20 mini expansions are pretty expansive, like kotn and dawngaurd.

NJD316

Neo Member
Nah, I think it's pretty clear. We get 60 bucks of content for a (now) 30 / (later) 50 dollar season pass.

For now three pieces of DLC have been announced, 1 for 10 bucks, one for 5 bucks and one for 25 bucks.

That leaves 20 bucks of DLC to be released in the season pass.

Fair enough. Just wanted to see what the general consensus was on this before I plonked down the cash. Cheers!

Trickster

The fact they raised the price actually excites me. We'll be getting more content than they initially anticipated it seems. I'm in for $30.

Far Harbor seems like traditional Bethesda expansion stuff, akin to Shivering Isles and Dragonborn.

I understand that the prospect of getting a 50 dollar season pass at nearly half the price has a certain alure to it. And I would possibly be exicted about it myself. The issue that I see with this, is that like many season passes, I'm expected to pay up front, for content I don't know what will be.

That unknown combined with the psychological effect of putting a deadline on the 30 dollar version is something I really don't appreciate.

If you have a season pass for your game that you're willing to charge me money for. You should really have a detailed plan for what the content will be, and when I can expect to play it.

Lanrutcon

Probably due to the established pedigree of Bethesda dlc. Basically everything over $20 has been old school expansion sized content.

Even their $20 mini expansions are pretty expansive, like kotn and dawngaurd.

Skyrim's DLC was shitty. Like, mediocre at its best moments. So I think we have very different perceptions of said pedigree.

NV had good shit though, but that was all Obsidian, wasn't it?

Lucario

Assuming Far Harbor is actually Bar Harbor, that's one of the best possible choices for a DLC location. If they manage to recreate it faithfully, I'm in.

I did an internship in Bar Harbor last year, and it's a genuinely unsettling place off-season. Beautiful hiking trails and scenery, but the town is creepy as fuck.

nubbe

I wonder

Due to unprecedented demand, Fallout 4 Season Pass orders may take up to 24 hours to be delivered. Don't worry, more keys have been ordered and are on their way, but some may take up to 24 hours for fulfilment. Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you in advance for your patience.

DJ_Lae

It sounds substantial - hopefully it turns out that way.

I got the same message yesterday, they must be selling like mad since the DLC announcement.

Me too.

I feel a bit like a sucker, their 'price is going up!' announcement worked on me. And I don't normally prebuy stuff like this.

Judging by how Skyrim and Dishonored DLC steam sales have went, you are gonna be waiting a very, very long time.

I was like a year and a bit after all the dlc was out that the GOTY skyrim was £7.50, i'll wait that long before I play fallout4.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Even for Bethesda, a developer I've loved since I first played Arena in 94, I'm not down with this season pass idea. It's like preordering or kickstarting games, which I also don't do. Not throwing my money at unproven content without seeing impressions or previews of it, especially when I'm able to wring so much enjoyment out of the base product. I've been mostly unimpressed with Bethesda DLC anyways, since they dropped the idea of full-on expansions post-Morrowind. I'll wait for Steam sales in 2017 if I deem this worth picking up.

I'm still confused where your thought process on the lesser DLCs is coming from. Bethesda actually has a good track record for the opposite. Dawngaurd to Dragonborn is probably the most obvious example, but I believe the Fallout DLCs in the past were received the same.

The Fallout 3 dlc's were received with mixed reviews. Some were good, some were bad. And that was the same case with Skyrim's dlcs. The dlcs weren't amazing, but they weren't terrible. They were alright.

Bethesda said:
And more important, that this is only the beginning. We have plans for more. More than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016.
Since the dlcs announced add up to $40, do you really think "more" and "this is only the beginning" mean one more big dlc pack? Probably not. And since $20 worth of content isn't a lot to fill out "new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016", it seems logically for them to spread it out. They are likely to release a couple more $5 or $10 packs, similar to Wasteland Workshop and Automatron.

And to me, those packs look like $5 for house building knick knacks and $10 for a robot companion.

Since the dlcs announced add up to $40, do you really think "more" and "this is only the beginning" mean one more big dlc pack? Probably not. And since $20 worth of content isn't a lot to fill out "new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016", it seems logically for them to spread it out. They are likely to release a couple more $5 or $10 packs, similar to Wasteland Workshop and Automatron.

And to me, those packs look like $5 for house building knick knacks and $10 for a robot companion.

I expect 3 more DLC packs following pretty much the same formula. 2 that focus on features and 1 that focuses on location and story. Although I don't expect to get that one with a size close to Far Harbour. That'll be the big expansion for the DLC.

I've put in 185 hours into F4 so far. I still haven't seen some major parts of the game and I've put time into things I didn't expect to like the Settlements and the Power Armor. So for me $30 dollars for all this new content is worth it. I don't know if I'll like it all but F4 has been a great experience so far. I want more official content.

Top Bottom