• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 DLC: Automatron ($10), WW ($5), Far Harbor ($25), More; Season Pass -> $50

Steejee

Fuck. Now the "do I buy it before March 1st or wait for GOTY edition?" debate in my head begins...

Fuck

A someone who already played through vanilla FO4, I'm definitely going to wait for this to all get packaged and marked down in a year or two. Not itching to jump back into FO4 and want to see reviews first. The 'buy now before it goes up!' ploy is like something out of QVC or awful paid programming on TV.

Plus GECK still isn't out, and if/when I play again I'd like to see what sort of GECK built mods are available.

Killzig

Taxidermy? Building cages to capture NPCs? Building your own robot? I'm so in.

Total opposite reaction for me. The only one I'm interested in is the ocean/story one. The rest of this stuff seems like the kind of time wasting tedium that already fills up too much of the game (Settlements, radiant quests).

Adaren

They don't intend on selling any season passes at $50. The price hike is purely to pressure customers into impulse buying the season pass within the next 2 weeks.

But as long as it's making them money, I guess the players don't mind.

BraXzy

Hmm, I've not played the main game yet but I should probably snag the season pass before it goes up in price right?

mindsale

The biggest factor for me is that I am basically God in the Fallout 4 now. I have like every perk and every unique item and I'd basically have to re-roll to not cheese the DLC. And I'm not sure I want to invest many, many more hours on a vanilla playthrough to get the most out of the DLC.

Lister

Banned
I've kind of abandoned fallout 4 pretty quick... The first two DLC's certainly don't look like they'll pull me back in, but that last one might.

Any word on workshop support and modding tools? That's the main thing I'm looking forward to now.

Hektor

They don't intend on selling any season passes at $50. The price hike is purely to pressure customers into impulse buying the season pass within the next 2 weeks.

But as long as it's making them money, I guess the players don't mind.

Well put.

CloudWolf

It is a proper expansion.

"Far Harbor features the largest landmass for an add-on that we’ve ever created, filled with new faction quests, settlements, lethal creatures and dungeons. Become more powerful with new, higher-level armor and weapons."

Sounds worth it to me.

Considering the £15 price hike I might jump on board with the expansion pass now. I never buy 'em but if Far Harbor is as big as they say, and there's more like it coming, it'll be worth it.

The blurb may sound good, but this is Bethesda were talking about. I remember when they released Dawnguard and were hyping up the choice between going with the Vampires vs Dawnguard and how it would be a hard choice, only for the final expansion to feature no choice at all since you could get a crossbow and become a Vampire Lord no matter what side you picked. The only difference between sides were what items you'd get.

I love how they aren't even hiding what the Automatron DLC really is. "An evil scientist has an army of deadly robots. But fuck that shit, you can build your own robo-buddy!" Yes, Bethesda, because that's what we wanted, not meaningful good DLC, but a customizable companion.

Realyn

"We feel justified to raise the price of [x], but as a big thank you for the fans, after stripping the game of most things that made NV awesome of course, we are so nice and wait until March 1st. So please, please and pretty please buy it now!"

Truly sad what gaming marketing has come to. Oh, and then there's the price point ...

Cool, bought the digital game + SP when it was on sale in the holidays with 20% new PS4 discount, still haven't gotten past building up my first little settlement yet. May wait to play until April now though, if they are dropping a DLC that makes building a little easier/better. Gives me plenty of time to finish Witcher 3!!

How is modding on the PC? I usually play these games once and then 2-3 years later replay on PC with crazy mods. I'd love to play this in the summer on a Oculus Rift or Vive though, if they get support.

Then they have you right where they want you.

Yes off course, Bethesda game studios knows the marketing trucs.

But then again, I don't have a problem with this. They inform people about this a few weeks before they are raising the price and people who don't like to pay for something before knowing how good it is, will still be able to buy the season pass for a discounted price next year (when the game of the year edition is coming out).

I bought it and will probably get the value out of it that I want, but buying DLC and season passes before knowing how good the content is, is always 'stupid'.

BiggNife

It would be ridiculous to buy it for 50 when you can still buy it for 30 until March 1st...

It's a lose-lose situation. Either you buy it early without knowing how the DLC content is going to turn out or you wait until reviews and risk paying a $20 late fee.

"But what if all of the DLC is really good???" then you get a good deal, I guess. But when has that ever happened? Opinions on Fallout 3 DLC seem to drastically range from "pretty good" (Point Lookout) to "boring crap" (Operation Anchorage). There's no real way to know how these will turn out.

Wow this has to be a new low right?
How? It's not like they immediately upped the price. They're giving you two weeks to buy it at the lower price if you want. If you're unsure of how good it will be, buy a code now but don't activate it. If the content gets good reviews, activate. If it doesn't, sell it for what you bought it for because there'll be someone who'll buy it.

Hmm, I've not played the main game yet but I should probably snag the season pass before it goes up in price right?

That's exactly what they want you to do. Don't expect the other unrevealed DLCs to be anything more than crafting/settlement bullshit. I'm afraid we're only going to get one story based DLC, hope I'm wrong though.

Wow. I really don't know what to say about this.

So you can either a) hand over $30 (or the magic exchange rate of £30 I presume) for content despite not actually seeing it in motion yet, or b) you can pay nearly double that after March 1st.

At what point during the DLC development cycle did Bethesda decide the content they were building was worth twice as much as they initially anticipated? Are we to really believe there's as much content in the DLC as the main game?

Far Harbor sounds interesting, though I don't think the other two would appeal to me. I'm not really that enthusiastic to jump back into it yet anyway.

dugdug

Banned
I'll wait for them to go on sale. Considering how poorly executed the DLC was for Skyrim, I'm not exactly trusting them with $50.

Also cute how they're charging the most for the DLC they know people *actually* want.

Chris1

Just as I feared, two of the DLCs are just crafting/settlement fodder. This sucks.

Yeah I'm not sure if I want to buy this, only one I'm interested in is Far Harbor which is the £5 cheaper than the season pass currently so it's probably better to just get that separately.

Realyn

How? It's not like they immediately upped the price. They're giving you two weeks to buy it at the lower price if you want..

That exactly is the low part. Then again, look at this thread. "Oh, guess I have to buy it now". People are dumb enough to fall for this..

Alucrid

Banned
Season pass announced - "well you don't even know what you're buying"

Content of season pass announced - "well you don't even know if what you're buying is good"

Good deal. One of the main reasons I upgraded ram to 2400mhz was for when the DLC came out.

Although, I'll only get the harbor one on release. I'll pick up the other 2 on discount.

Hiking the price without telling anyone would be a low. This isn't. No one complained when Techland did it either Dying Light, why complain now with Fallout 4?
Actually i do remember people complaining. Idc what publisher did it. Let ea,activision or ubisoft do something like this be a whole different tune in here.

NewDust

In addition, if you didn’t buy the season pass yet, there is still time: anyone who buys the Season Pass for $29.99 before March 1st will get all $60 worth of content. This is our way of saying thanks to all our loyal fans who have believed in us and supported us over the years.

In addition, if you didn't buy the season pass yet, there is still time: You can buy or shit unseen, it might be crap, but atleast is cheap(er) crap. You can also wait and see how our dlc pans out, but pay double the price. This is our way to extort all our loyal fans, that believe our lies and have so over the years.

We’re also hard at work on the Creation Kit, which will allow you to create and play mods absolutely free. We’re currently testing both Survival Mode and the Creation Kit now, and more details will be forthcoming.
Most important for lots of folks.
Hopefully it will come free to the steam workshop ! :O

That exactly is the low part. Then again, look at this thread. "Oh, guess I have to buy it now". People are dumb enough to fall for this..
Except, as I said, if you're unsure, buy a code and don't activate it. Then if you do like the look of the DLC when it's out, activate it. If not, you will absolutely be able to sell it for at least what you're paying now seeing as the new RRP will be $20 more.

Daffy Duck

Does anyone else find it really scummy the way they say we have over $60 worth of content coming to the game, what happened to just saying we have content coming out? Now they are proud of it having a figure attached to it?

And also upping the price of the season pass for new buyers?

Erm no thanks, and to think I was on the fence about picking this game up.

Except, as I said, if you're unsure, buy a code and don't activate it. Then if you do like the look of the DLC when it's out, activate it. If not, you will absolutely be able to sell it for at least what you're paying now seeing as the new RRP will be $20 more.

Or just wait... I understand why people are complaining, but you can just wait till next year when all the DLC is out and buy it cheap on a steam/psn sale.

U2NUMB

"due to community reactions we have decided to keep season pass at 29.99" Bethesda March 1st"

meanwhile... 2 million season passes sold
brilliant... well played bethesda

I fell into Beths plot and bought the pass at $30 just now. But godamn it I love Fallout and I vaction in Bar Harbor so this is just great. Im not too keen on the Workshop dlc, but I love me some robots. Hopefully I can make an Eyebot companion.

Yes but we dont know if its a big story DLC or some smaller stuff like the cage settlement and power armor collectathon...

This is annoying, I'm only really interested in more land/story/exploration stuff. So I guess it's £5 extra to take a gamble that the unannounced stuff is something I'll be interested in.

Boke1879

Well I get paid on the 25th of February. Good timing for me. Definitely getting the season pass them. Good on them for giving a fair warning on the price increase.

Yup. I'll be buying the season pass this Friday. Gonna blaze through some of my backlog before the first dlc hits

Top Bottom