• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much different will X1 and PS4 multiplats be visually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amneisac

There will likely never be much of a difference. At least not to 95% of gamers. Certainly some of the IQ-elite GAF crowd will be able to tell you which one has better anti-aliasing, etc.

Derrick01

Banned
There won't be much difference at launch probably.

But you're crazy if you think PS4's ram and GPU advantage isn't going to make itself known as the generation goes on. The only reason it won't is if devs make a conscious decision not to take advantage of the extra power. It's not like they can use the Cell as an excuse again.

inner-G said:
Xbox employees say 40% GPU power gap will be unnoticeable.

Ehh what else are they going to say? I'm more concerned about people who aren't cashing checks from MS who say the same thing.

Marleyman

Banned
Considerable difference at launch, large difference in a few years.

In what regards? I am Joe Consumer and I am buying a system for my family. Will it really be that big of a difference to play Madden on PS4 over Xbox One...I highly doubt it.

dcx4610

They are using the same architecture. It's not like the old days where PS3 may have been more powerful but the 360 performed better due to programming issues.

The PS4 has faster memory of the same type and a faster GPU. There's no way unless intentional that it can NOT to be better than the XB1 in performance.

His comparison of the Corvette and Porsche are flawed. They are different cars, difference engines, different specs.

A more fair comparison would be having the exact same car but one has slightly more horsepower. The latter is going to perform better period. Visually you probably aren't going to see much of a difference but I expect the PS4 to get anywhere from 6 to 10 for frames per second than the XB1 for games that aren't locked at 30fps. If both systems end up getting to the point where everything is 60fps then there will be no difference.

gngf123

Depends on the game.

A lot of western games are going to be built with the X1 in mind. Those ones will look identical to the PS4 version, possibly even better if they really don't try to optimise the PS4 build at all but that should be rare.

Others, you will see a fairly noticeable difference in favour of the PS4. Particularly in a couple of years down the line.

velociraptor

I don't expect third party devs to really take advantage of the PS4. But NFS Rivals looks better on the PS4 than the Xbox One apparently, so... I guess we will have to wait and see.

I expect the difference to be more significant than the one observed with PS3 and 360.

In what regards? I am Joe Consumer and I am buying a system for my family. Will it really be that big of a difference to play Madden on PS4 over Xbox One...I highly doubt it.

It certainly seemed to matter this generation. Doesn't go away now that the tables could potentially be reversed, heh.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Any difference at launch will simply be do to crossgen conversion laziness, as they otherwise will be equal.

sleepykyo

More difference than PS3/360 multiplats

Why? It wasn't just a power difference but exotic architecture combined with the PS3 be a port down system. Does anyone really think the next gen is going to be a port down to the X1 generation instead of a port up from the X1 generation?

Logash

At launch? Probably none. As we get farther in the generation, I expect the difference to be more noticeable. Alot of people like to use this gen as an example of power not being noticeable but they seem to forget the the PS3 was way harder to program for. Both have similar architectures so the difference will be more noticeable. Not sure how big the gap will get but it will definitely be noticeable

inner-G

Banned
If your 'graphics whore' early-adopting friends are all on PS4, it may make a difference.

Jack_AG

Banned
They are using the same architecture. It's not like the old days where PS3 may have been more powerful but the 360 performed better due to programming issues.

The PS4 has faster memory of the same type and a faster GPU. There's no way unless intentional that it can NOT to be better than the XB1 in performance.

His comparison of the Corvette and Porsche are flawed. They are different cars, difference engines, different specs.

A more fair comparison would be having the exact same car but one has slightly more horsepower. The latter is going to perform better period. Visually you probably aren't going to see much of a difference but I expect the PS4 to get anywhere from 6 to 10 for frames per second than the XB1 for games that aren't locked at 30fps. If both systems end up getting to the point where everything is 60fps then there will be no difference.
Yep.

Sorry, but of course Albert is going to say there's no difference. He's not going to shit on his own console (I know I wouldn't). Whether or not there is a difference remains to be seen.

Probably the same as current console games differ from PC games. With one claiming superiority and the other not really giving two shits.

Duxxy3

A little bit more than the difference between multiplatform 360 and PS4 games. That's enough for me.

Dysun

Marginal at launch, but it should become pretty clear in a year or two when cross-gen is phased out

Krakn3Dfx

Heise mentioned that developers at Gamescom were saying the PS4's 3D capability was noticeably superior to the XBO's around the time of the show. Based on that and what we know about the PS4's specs, it could be a sizable difference, but we won't know anything for sure until the systems are in peoples' houses.

omonimo

Banned

The same type? Uh?

x-Lundz-x

The DF face-off of Battlefield 4 and AC4 should be a good indications of what is to come.

I personally think the PS4 versions will run cleaner with less frame drops etc... But they will probably look pretty identical.

Theecliff

Banned
Somewhere in-between the differences between PS3/360 and PS2/Xbox multiplats I'd presume. The gap in quality most likely won't be that noticeable at launch but will probably grow as the consoles get older.

hwy_61

Banned
We may see PS4 games look and run better, but I don't think games will be straight up shit ports on XBONE as it was in this gen for PS3.

See: Fallout, Bayonetta.

Way too early to tell. I'm sure there will be games where there will bea difference, if you're really looking for it. Eaither way, I'm sure if you're not looking for the differences, you wont find them. Ignorance is bliss for a reason.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was going to say no difference but then Xbox One got a CPU upclock and that is significant!

There should be a fairly noticeable difference in visuals from the start that will get more prononced as the generation goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom