• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 1 (EA Play Alpha) Gameplay from LevelCap, JackFrags, and More

Helznicht

But why would you run at lower than native resolution via resolution scale? Wouldn't you just crank down the resolution itself?

Engine likely does upscaling to your selected resolution, which can look better than straight running a lower resolution into your native.

This looks like like what I envisioned the original TF2 game was going to be. Very hyped.

Wish it was a bit slower. I hate the insane aim assist on BF4. And somehow, maps still feel small and concentrated.

I just want a proper Rush mode. It's strange to me how special Bad Company 2 felt, but I never get that feeling seeing BF3 and BF4. I am hoping the setting in BF1 is enough to bring back a similar appeal from Bad Company.

But where's snoop dog? And Zac "where am I?" Efron? And Terry Crews with his M&K "skills"? And Weed?

It's just not a Battlefield stream without them.

The Flash

Banned
But where's snoop dog? And Zac "where am I?" Efron? And Terry Crews with his M&K "skills"? And Weed?

It's just not a Battlefield stream without them.

untitled-1q4uok.gif

That Westie video is awful with that laughable FoV...

Disappointed in the lack of ps4 gameplay, hell console gameplay in general. When well over 50% of revenue comes from them it would be appreciated to give at least equal shine when promoting.

Yep thats something that annoys me too.

With Battlefront at least we got PS4 Gameplay very early on.

The Xbone version of Battlefield 1 was playable at E3, but they didnt allow anyone to record footage.

Why would they advertise their game with a version that looks worse?

I wish we could stop with this nonsense.

They promoted Battlefront last year just fine with PS4 Gameplay. (Yes it was PS4 gameplay)

Anarion07

Engine likely does upscaling to your selected resolution, which can look better than straight running a lower resolution into your native.

This looks like like what I envisioned the original TF2 game was going to be. Very hyped.

It's just weird that in BF4, resolution scaling was for upscaling (up to 200% i think?)
The bar in the video only goes to 100%.

But why would you run at lower than native resolution via resolution scale? Wouldn't you just crank down the resolution itself?

A number of games have this option, including Battlefront. It is benefitial as it allows the UI elements to remain at the native resolution, while the internal renderer renders at a lower resolution.

I wish we could stop with this nonsense.

They promoted Battlefront last year just fine with PS4 Gameplay. (Yes it was PS4 gameplay)
You know this how?

Stiler

That announcer has to redo her lines with something else. It is just so boring to listen to.

They need to get rid of the announcer and have the objective lines come from a random nearby team-mate instead, that'd make it more authentic and fitting.

WW1 you didn't have any kind of "earpiece" or any such thing, there were no easily portable radios either.

The lines like objective Apples, butter, etc make sense, because in ww1 these are the phonetics the British used. There was no "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc" then.
http://www.oocities.org/faskew/WW1/Glossary/GW-Phonetic.htm

You know this how?

Digital Foundry checked the footage. It was 900p etc.. like standard PS4 settings for Frostbite 60fps games. A lot of pc players act like showing the Console version will ruin their life.

Last I heard 2 weeks

Same as the embargo

But my source was reddit battlefield in the wake of GI releasing their closed alpha video early.

What Embargo are we talking about now?

Remember most of these streamers were a part of the EA ronku campaign for bf4, they are not independant fans, they are message steerers.

Footage is useful but take their opinions with a huge grain of salt. Jackfrags was praising bf4 for being extremely polished before release (yeah...)
Westie was on stage alongside developers of the game at the reveal event, introduced as a "Battlefield Gamechanger", which is a program where EA pays for travel etc. for them to play a game early and leave feedback and contribute to the game.
He says in the video that this made him feel privileged, like the developers really listened to him, and like he actually helped contribute to the development of the game, which contributed to him feeling like he had authorship of the game to some extent.

I view all this tuber footage as official EA ads.

WillyFive

It's threatening that the game running with an i7 and GTX 1080 defaults to Medium. The Auto adjust probably isn't finished, especially with the glitch that makes the 100% resolution scale actually be 200%.

Keeping it at native resolution keeps the UI looking sharp, and lowering the resolution scale allows it to run smoother while also keeping the UI readable.

Westie was on stage alongside developers of the game at the reveal event, introduced as a "Battlefield Gamechanger", which is a program where EA pays for travel etc. for them to play a game early and leave feedback and contribute to the game.
He says in the video that this made him feel privileged, like the developers really listened to him, and like he actually helped contribute to the development of the game, which contributed to him feeling like he had authorship of the game to some extent.

He was also one of the announcers at the official game play reveal.

Odrion

Banned
This is looking more and more like a re-skinned Battlefield 4 with a couple rule changes and it's bumming me out.

edit: didn't a couple of these guys take bribes from EA to keep quiet on how completely busted Battlefield 4 was before and during launch?

The Stealth Fox

I've owned every battlefield game ever made other than the bad company's and Vietnam (1942, 2, 2142, 1943, 3, 4 and even hardline), and this game just isn't doing it for me even though I desperately wanted the old timey setting. I think it just feels too "fast" maybe? It just looks like BF3/4 with a different skin. Or the sense of scale is not there as much. I mean, 1942 was not a slow game by any means but the maps were HUGE. Wake was like 5 flags but it felt so large. The sense of scale in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal were amazing too.

It might be nostalgia too but I'd love to just see modernized recreations of 1942 maps. Pure class based gameplay as well, no attachments. How many attachments are gonna be in BF1? I always found the 40+ attachments per weapon in 3 and 4 annoying.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've owned every battlefield game ever made other than the bad company's and Vietnam (1942, 2, 2142, 1943, 3, 4 and even hardline), and this game just isn't doing it for me even though I desperately wanted the old timey setting. I think it just feels too "fast" maybe? It just looks like BF3/4 with a different skin. Or the sense of scale is not there as much. I mean, 1942 was not a slow game by any means but the maps were HUGE. Wake was like 5 flags but it felt so large. The sense of scale in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal were amazing too.

It might be nostalgia too but I'd love to just see modernized recreations of 1942 maps. Pure class based gameplay as well, no attachments. How many attachments are gonna be in BF1? I always found the 40+ attachments per weapon in 3 and 4 annoying.

I do feel like the map is a little small by Battlefield's standards but then again, look at the maps in both BF 3 and 4. Compared to older games, they're somewhat smaller. I do expect we'll get some big maps, especially the desert looking one.

Odrion

Banned
I've owned every battlefield game ever made other than the bad company's and Vietnam (1942, 2, 2142, 1943, 3, 4 and even hardline), and this game just isn't doing it for me even though I desperately wanted the old timey setting. I think it just feels too "fast" maybe? Or the sense of scale is not there as much. I mean, 1942 was not a slow game by any means but the maps were HUGE. Wake was like 5 flags but it felt so large. The sense of scale in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal were amazing too.

It might be nostalgia too but I'd love to just see modernized recreations of these. Pure class based gameplay as well, no attachments. How many attachments are gonna be in BF1? I always found the 40+ attachments per weapon in 3 and 4 annoying.

Not only were they huge but you could've only spawned at the bases and a FEW vehicles, so the dynamic of the battlefield felt... Realer. Well, realer than four dudes clown car-ing out of some idiot that just drove a motorcycle to a remote location. And 90% of your deaths weren't by some dude behind you. It actually felt like a battlefield instead of the "COD in a sandbox" approach the modern games took.

And this... Looks more of the same. Sad!

Haha holy shit this advertorial shit is still happening!!! Thanks for the timestamps.

Honestly surprised these Youtubers like Westie haven't gotten their subscribers cut down for being sellouts. Every time it's a new Battlefield thing, it's always these dudes getting first dibs, so they're probably all on this paid program.

Tovarisc

seems like a fair amount of people who were hyped for this being a "world war 1" game are kinda bummed.

I still get confused when people complain how Battlefield 1 isn't authentic mil-sim about World War 1. One has paid literally zero attention to Battlefield franchise if expects super authentic mil-sim experience from any Battlefield game, in any time period setting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This is looking more and more like a re-skinned Battlefield 4 with a couple rule changes and it's bumming me out.

edit: didn't a couple of these guys take bribes from EA to keep quiet on how completely busted Battlefield 4 was before and during launch?
You couldn't be more wrong.

Keasar

They need to get rid of the announcer and have the objective lines come from a random nearby team-mate instead, that'd make it more authentic and fitting.

WW1 you didn't have any kind of "earpiece" or any such thing, there were no easily portable radios either.

The lines like objective Apples, butter, etc make sense, because in ww1 these are the phonetics the British used. There was no "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc" then.
http://www.oocities.org/faskew/WW1/Glossary/GW-Phonetic.htm

I don't mind her voice itself or the objective names (since they are accurate). It is more the delivery of the lines that bothers me. They are just so flat and boring compared to previous games. I would rather if they could have her act out more the situation, like if it was going well or bad so I could listen to the tone of her voice and determine how the game was going. Also maybe with a bit of a 1910 fashion to her speech, right now her voice is very sterile and robotic that it feels bothersome, especially when put together with the very minimalistic GUI and HUD, nothing of it representing an early 1900 European style.

I'm really displeased, to put it politely, that they've put mustard gas into multiplayer. It was bad enough that they put it in the SP, but okay narrative reasons, but to make such a vile, horrific chemical weapon something kids will laugh about, I really think it's an ethical breach by DICE.

I still get confused when people complain how Battlefield 1 isn't authentic mil-sim about World War 1. One has paid literally zero attention to Battlefield franchise if expects super authentic mil-sim experience from any Battlefield game, in any time period setting.

DICE has been operating under the mantra of going for an "authentic" experience. 1943 felt fairly "authentic", even if not always accurate. It gave me the feeling of fighting in the Pacific with what felt like the weapons of the day. Most of my time was spent with the M1 Garand rifle. But this game, with semi and full-auto rifles everywhere, doesn't really capture the feeling of WW1. A medic with a semi-auto rifle in 1917? Come on. Bolt-action rifles should be the standard in this game, not the exception. This just feels like a re-skin of BF4. A very pretty and evocative re-skin, but a re-skin nonetheless.

Not only were they huge but you could've only spawned at the bases and a FEW vehicles, so the dynamic of the battlefield felt... Realer. Well, realer than four dudes clown car-ing out of some idiot that just drove a motorcycle to a remote location. And 90% of your deaths weren't by some dude behind you. It actually felt like a battlefield instead of the "COD in a sandbox" approach the modern games took.

And this... Looks more of the same. Sad!

That's what modern bf games are missing

the flags are never more than 30 seconds away for anyone spawning anywhere, especially with all the vehicles and how fast they are

Add squad and vehicle spawns to that and it just becomes a meatgrinder

You can't have conquest when taking a flag doesn't mean anything other than tickets.
Conquest was brilliant because you could cut off enemy spawns effectively, take a flag behind enemy lines to pincer spawn etc. Taking a flag was meaningful and would reshape the entire battlefield.

It'll never stop amazing me that dice don't know their own series enough to understand how to do conquest maps

DTKT

I'm really displeased, to put it politely, that they've put mustard gas into multiplayer. It was bad enough that they put it in the SP, but okay narrative reasons, but to make such a vile, horrific chemical weapon something kids will laugh about, I really think it's an ethical breach by DICE.

DICE has been operating under the mantra of going for an "authentic" experience. 1943 felt fairly "authentic", even if not always accurate. It gave me the feeling of fighting in the Pacific with what felt like the weapons of the day. Most of my time was spent with the M1 Garand rifle. But this game, with semi and full-auto rifles everywhere, doesn't really capture the feeling of WW1. A medic with a semi-auto rifle in 1917? Come on. Bolt-action rifles should be the standard in this game, not the exception. This just feels like a re-skin of BF4. A very pretty and evocative re-skin, but a re-skin nonetheless.

I dont think you will ever get that kind of experience from a BF game.

Top Bottom