• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 1 (EA Play Alpha) Gameplay from LevelCap, JackFrags, and More

No one is asking for them to drop mg/smgs, everyone asking for BA's are asking for them to be an optional "all kit" weapon like carbines in BF4 or such, just a weapon type that anyone can play with any class, an unscoped BA that is.

In bf1942 engineers had unscoped Kar98/No. 4's whereas snipers had scoped versions. I n BF2 you were right about assault, that was my point, other bf's had weapon sharing with some differences (IE scopes or underbarrels).

I was under the impression that people actually were asking them to drop the mgs, smgs and semi-auto weapons, in the sense that they want less of them and want bolt-action to be the 'default' weapon for every class. I've seen quite a few complaints saying things along the lines of "they weren't that common, there shouldn't be this many, why doesn't everyone have bolt-action rifles as their main weapon instead?". I'd like to see them as all all-kit weapon as well, though.

brennok

Neo Member
I was under the impression that people actually were asking them to drop the mgs, smgs and semi-auto weapons, in the sense that they want less of them and want bolt-action to be the 'default' weapon for every class. I've seen quite a few complaints saying things along the lines of "they weren't that common, there shouldn't be this many, why doesn't everyone have bolt-action rifles as their main weapon instead?". I'd like to see them as all all-kit weapon as well, though.

Some people are and I don't necessarily blame them. When you say you are making a WW1 game, you don't think LMGs and SMGs. I understand they have to put them in to cater to the crowd these days, but it seems like a waste of a setting.

This of course always gets spun into people want authentic and Battlefield has never been about authenticity. This also isn't what people are asking for, but instead are asking for a updated version of the FPS games they used to play before the period shifted to modern weaponry. You could still have a quick paced fun game with rifles and bolt actions.

People also keep saying the gun is what differentiates the classes and I don't think this should be the case for this setting. It should be the accessories and kits. You can still do things like restrict the scopes to the scout class, but I shouldn't have to play a scout just to use a rifle.

I don't know about universal guns. I hate that an engineer can outgun an assault class.

I love that when I played Engineer in Bad Company, I had to use a non direct way to confront enemies. I stuck to vehicles and feared infantry

It changed my playstyle. In BF4, I can easily confront infantry as an engineer

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I don't know about universal guns. I hate that an engineer can outgun an assault class.

I love that when I played Engineer in Bad Company, I had to use a non direct way to confront enemies. I stuck to vehicles and feared infantry

It changed my playstyle. In BF4, I can easily confront infantry as an engineer

Yep, I think BC1 was the last game where Engineers only had close-range shotguns at their disposal. The class structure and gameplay was very much diluted with BC2 onwards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
how is this any different outside of a few rule changes
BF4's balance made it easier to be a one man army. You have a ton of tools and force multipliers at your disposal. And the weapons are laser accurate with a shorter TTK. Wiping entire squads with a SAW was easy as breathing.

The classes in BF1 are far more specialized, and accuracy on the automatics is way down. You eat a huge damage output penalty to be a medic, for example. Magazine sizes are smaller in general too. It's a much zergier game.

Tanks don't move like race cars any more, and infantry is faster than before, which drives the point home. BF1 is a game of massed infantry combat. It feels closer to Battlefront than what I was expecting.

WillyFive

I don't like how each Battlefield has a bigger infantry focus than the last. In 1942, a whole bunch of different spawn points had like 4 or more vehicles ready to go to use nearby, but modern games there are almost never any of them around, and it takes forever for them to respawn.

I don't like how each Battlefield has a bigger infantry focus than the last. In 1942, a whole bunch of different spawn points had like 4 or more vehicles ready to go to use nearby, but modern games there are almost never any of them around, and it takes forever for them to respawn.

There were complaints during 1942's lifetime that infantry felt useless against vehicles.

I think overtime DICE slowly shifted the focus away to a more infatry oriented combat. I loved the balance in 1942, though.

Not too keen on the tank takedown myself, in Battlefield games its usually quite easy to get that close to a tank, if any class can do that it'd just make using a tank a nightmare without gunners

WillyFive

There were complaints during 1942's lifetime that infantry felt useless against vehicles.

I think overtime DICE slowly shifted the focus away to a more infatry oriented combat. I loved the balance in 1942, though.

That's too bad. Vehicles feel less and less useful in modern games, especially with how super easy they get destroyed and shot down, and how long it takes to get them back.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Losing a ticket when you respawn and ticket bleed are a thing of the past now."

What shit.

Junk. Basically just king of the hill now.

VariantX

Battlefield 1 - Secrets and New Mechanics

Great new video by Jackfrags with some cool tidbits of information, like changes to Conquest and a look at the squad menu

So they've inverted scoring and essentially turned into a large scale DOM with Conquest. Im not enthused by that. There are some good things though. People cant just teleport inside vehicles to avoid fire anymore. At the same time, you'd better be damned sure you're in a safe place before exiting or risk getting shot in mid-animation

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Changing loss of tickets equalling respawn and bleed will change the dynamic for the worse. It's an oversimplification that'll cull the thrill of turnaround strangleholds that can happen in a match of conquest where a seriously losing team finds a highly advantaged strategic foothold to eat away at opponent tickets and recapture territory through survival and killstreaks. If death has no price and survival no value it steers towards meatgrinder because fuck it; might as well just run at flags.

Maybe it works better in practice but the ticket system was a cornerstone of conquest and it's extremely disappointing to see DICE gut it.

Stiler

I'm sorry but a mechanic that punishes you for.....spawning and PLAYING the bloody game is a terrible mechanic in the first place.

They need to think of other strategic ways to make it more interesting then "Don't spawn or you'll cost your team tickets."

Xux

So... What is the point exactly?
Lowers emphasis on K/D and makes the objective more important...slightly? It's a pretty trifling change; maybe slightly faster rounds on average assuming they're tuned to last about the same time as tickets would've made them.

EatChildren

I'm sorry but a mechanic that punishes you for.....spawning and PLAYING the bloody game is a terrible mechanic in the first place.

They need to think of other strategic ways to make it more interesting then "Don't spawn or you'll cost your team tickets."

The thousands of games throughout history that utilise lives as a spawning system disagree with you.

Hmmm I really like how they added an animation for people getting into vehicles that adds an increase importance of awareness when boarding vehicles etc. What I don't understand is why they have that, but when disembarking it's instant. I've never been a fan of someone driving a tank/car just magically popping out and shooting you and getting back in. I'd like to see them add a leave animation as well so you can't just disembark right into an enemy on equal footing.

"Losing a ticket when you respawn and ticket bleed are a thing of the past now."

What shit.

I really don't like this either.

Machina

Banned
It just promotes that people finally play the objective. I love that.

Yep, I'm of this opinion. Now literally the only reason to get inside a vehicle is to fight for the objective. No more fuckwits getting to level 140 by doing nothing but Jetting/Choppering

Starfield

The reason why they changed the ticket system is because teams tend to go for the kills instead of playing the objective. Now that this is gone people will actually try and attack/defend flags. Also you no longer have to fear about losing if you are low on tickets and you want to respawn.

jaaz

What's wrong about this change? Now there's a real incentive to capture and hold ground objectives. That's the purpose of Conquest after all. And of real war I might add.

CryptiK

The reason why they changed the ticket system is because teams tend to go for the kills instead of playing the objective. Now that this is gone people will actually try and attack/defend flags. Also you no longer have to fear about losing if you are low on tickets and you want to respawn.
Which is stupid and extremely dumb'd down. But hey gotta appease the casuals.

What's wrong about this change? Now there's a real incentive to capture and hold ground objectives. That's the purpose of Conquest after all. And of real war I might add.

There was always a real incentive what the hell are you on about. Now people dont have to think, they can die and be like oh well. No ticket bleed either. Shit change.

There's always been a good incentive for playing the objective. You can't out-kill the ticket bleed when the enemy has more than half the flags in a map.

Dumb teammates and players that don't play the objective aren't going to suddenly go away with these changes. I'm sure you'll still have your MLG420 snipers sitting near the base and doing fuck all, as is tradition.

Lakitu

st5fu
Man I really hope the 200 points/20 minute timer for conquest is just temporary. Conquest being reduced to 20 minute rounds on console would suck so much.

Conquest change is... interesting I guess? I don't really think it's going to change much, just changes how the scoring is displayed.

No more fuckwits getting to level 140 by doing nothing but Jetting/Choppering

I'm not really sure how you get that you can still get plenty of XP going solely for kills.

Stiler

Well, seems alpha invites are going out, congrats to anyone that got in. I sadly didn't have any luck :(.

Top Bottom