• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 1 (EA Play Alpha) Gameplay from LevelCap, JackFrags, and More

Venom Fox

Banned
Looks amazing, still glad they went WW1. Was sceptical at first but I've really warmed to it. It's gonna be sick.

JackFrags is really good too. I like his work.

VeeP

Is there no official multiplayer trailer out for BF1 like the other BF titles? Where we see a team going at it, vehicle warfare, etc. Basically a highlight reel of a scripted match.

DTKT

What kind of experience? The "authentic" experience that I said I got from 1943 in the message you just quoted?

I do remember the Garand being the basic rifle for the US side. Using bolt action as the default would slow down the game a lot. I don't think that's their goal with BF1.

Odrion

Banned
That's what modern bf games are missing

the flags are never more than 30 seconds away for anyone spawning anywhere, especially with all the vehicles and how fast they are

Add squad and vehicle spawns to that and it just becomes a meatgrinder

You can't have conquest when taking a flag doesn't mean anything other than tickets.
Conquest was brilliant because you could cut off enemy spawns effectively, take a flag behind enemy lines to pincer spawn etc. Taking a flag was meaningful and would reshape the entire battlefield.

It'll never stop amazing me that dice don't know their own series enough to understand how to do conquest maps

Man you are reminding me how good old Battlefield was and it's really bumming me out that not only is this game not that but also WE CAN'T PLAY THE OLD ONES ANYMORE FUUU-edit: actually it looks like the community solved that "no more gamespy" dilemma.

Xux

Looks awesome. I was worried, when they announced it, that it'd be realistic but it actually looks good.

BF4 was amazing; I'm glad to see they still have it.

Mentok

Banned
I've owned every battlefield game ever made other than the bad company's and Vietnam (1942, 2, 2142, 1943, 3, 4 and even hardline), and this game just isn't doing it for me even though I desperately wanted the old timey setting. I think it just feels too "fast" maybe? It just looks like BF3/4 with a different skin. Or the sense of scale is not there as much. I mean, 1942 was not a slow game by any means but the maps were HUGE. Wake was like 5 flags but it felt so large. The sense of scale in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal were amazing too.

It might be nostalgia too but I'd love to just see modernized recreations of 1942 maps. Pure class based gameplay as well, no attachments. How many attachments are gonna be in BF1? I always found the 40+ attachments per weapon in 3 and 4 annoying.

Oh man, you missed out on BC2, which was the last MP from DICE I loved.

I'm just not feeling this footage. It looks like the same stuff they did with BF3/4. Did they say anything about fully destructible environments?

I do remember the Garand being the basic rifle for the US side. Using bolt action as the default would slow down the game a lot. I don't think that's their goal with BF1.

Yeah, the Garand was the Rifleman weapon in 1943. I think with BF1 it's mostly the amount of machineguns being carried around. It just wasn't much of a MG war, so in that respect it doesn't feel 'authentic' to me.

The air combat does look quite fun, though they need to improve the destruction animation. They just kind of...stop right now.

Tainted

I'm one of a handful of people who wants to play BF1 for the campaign. I generally suck at online competitive games and dislike it to the point of not wanting to spend the time to get good at them.

The WW1 setting is what does it for me...there just isn't enough games set in this era. I just hope the campaign is decent.

Admodieus

He doesn't have to miss out, you can still play it! It probably runs on any modern PC now.

Yes but it's no longer part of the zeitgeist. When it came out it was a huge counterpunch to CoD, which had just started to feel stale to me with MW2 the November prior. I'm sure a lot still play it on PC, but nowhere near the community it once had.

Hope those raindrops make it to the consoles.

Dont worry.

Battlefront uses the same kind of effect with Sand and Snow. Its not impossible

I hope this runs as well as battlefront on console. I tried playing BF4 recently and the framerate was atrotious in the big maps

BF4 only runs really smooth in the 32 player modes.

64 isnt that great. Hardline improved that, but still isnt as butter like in Battlefront.

But Battlefront has less players. So who knows.

Im sure the PS4 Neo Version will run really great and look great.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, the DF video is awesome quality.

Is this build different from the one shown during the stream? Motion blur is significantly better than all the other footage I've seen. Could just be from Dark cranking up the settings though.

The Flash

Banned

Is this build different from the one shown during the stream? Motion blur is significantly better than all the other footage I've seen. Could just be from Dark cranking up the settings though.

This is the same build from the EA Play stream

What kind of experience? The "authentic" experience that I said I got from 1943 in the message you just quoted?

But BF143 was more "authentic" than previous games because the game was more limited due to it being a small, cheap downloadable game. It not being a full game meant it didn't have as many weapons, vehicles or classes; there were 3 classes with 1 main weapon each, 3 vehicle types and 1 plane per faction from what i remember. That game seemed to be "authentic" in terms of equipment because they either couldn't add more, or there was no real reason to.

They can't really do that in Battlefield games now because they're all about customization and allowing players to choose; while bolt-action rifles were the most common weapon in WW1, the game still offers a choice of different classes with different weapon types to make things more varied. It's up to the players to decide. No battlefield game has had classes with all the same weapon or type of weapon (beyond the multi-class choices in BF4), they all have their own function. They're not going to take that way by giving everyone Bolt-action rifles, especially when there's only 4 classes in the game.

Every Battlefield game has allowed things that either wouldn't be used that much, or wouldn't be used at all in reality.

Stiler

But BF143 was more "authentic" than previous games because the game was more limited due to it being a small, cheap downloadable game. It not being a full game meant it didn't have as many weapons, vehicles or classes; there was 3 classes with 1 main weapon each, 3 vehicle types and 1 plane per faction from what i remember. That seemed to be "authentic" because they either couldn't add more, or there was no real reason to.

They can't really do that in Battlefield games now because they're all about customization and allowing players to choose; while bolt-action rifles were the most common weapon in WW1, the game still offers a choice of different classes with different weapon types to make things more varied. It's up to the players to decide. No battlefield game has had classes with all the same weapon or type of weapon (beyond the multi-class choices in BF4), they all have their own function. They're not going to take that way by giving everyone Bolt-action rifles, especially when there's only 4 classes in the game.

Every Battlefield game has allowed things that either wouldn't be used that much, or wouldn't be used at all in reality.

You can still give snipers the unique variants and specialized versions of bolt actions with scopes, that's actually MORE authentic , because in WW1 with limited supplies when it came to things like very accurate rifles or variants with optics mounted on them they actually gave them to the people who could make the best use of them (IE the guys with really good aim and marksmanship).

Having bolt actions isn't going to make the snipers somehow less focused or not have an identity and I do not get why people think this will.

Am I the only one that played BF 1942? Snipers had scoped Kar98's/no. 4's, know what the engineer had? Un-scoped versions. It didn't make the engineer somehow magically a "sniper" and it didn't make the sniper feel less special.

It's the same thing in games like Red Orchestra, bolt actions are the most available class type, snipers get scoped versions of the ba's and also some semi-auto scoped rifles. Both feel and play differently. Snipers engage and have better long-range because of the scopes.

Battlefield games have ALWAYS had weapons that were shared between other classes, from bf1942 to BF4, I don't get why people are suddenyl having an issue with this or think that un-scoped ba's somehow would negate the need or importance of scoped ba's.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Battlefield 1 PC on GTX 1080 1440p+ Gameplay Footage - Digital Foundry

They seem to be confused in this one. Stating that a resolution scale of 100% at 1440p is equivalent to 2880p, which it isn't. 100% resolution scale means it's running at 100% of the native resolution, so 1440p.
No no no.

Everyone is getting confused by this and I can understand. In this build of the game, the slider only goes to 100% and 50% = native resolution (i.e. -1440p). It's just the labels that don't make sense but it works just like the older slider. 100% in Bf1 alpha = 200% in Bf4

I think most users played at defaults (which were medium in this case). I cranked things up.

BF4 only runs really smooth in the 32 player modes.

64 isnt that great. Hardline improved that, but still isnt as butter like in Battlefront.

But Battlefront has less players. So who knows.

Im sure the PS4 Neo Version will run really great and look great.

Yeah, I'm curious if the neo will get this to a solid 60. It looks a lot more complex than battlefront, so it may need that boost

No no no.

Everyone is getting confused by this and I can understand. In this build of the game, the slider only goes to 100% and 50% = native resolution (i.e. -1440p). It's just the labels that don't make sense but it works just like the older slider. 100% in Bf1 alpha = 200% in Bf4

I think most users played at defaults (which were medium in this case). I cranked things up.

Do you have any guess of what settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxAzWAM9Hc&feature=youtu.be&a is using?

I swear your DF video has way less pop up and nicer graphics than that older video. You said the settings defaulted to medium? Is that for everyone? Like was it on medium before you changed it? If so: Why would EA let people play and record the game on medium?

I'm just asking because that frankie video has a distracting amount of pop in (and I haaaate pop in in games) , so it would be nice if that video used lower settings

DaciaJC

Gold Member
DICE has been operating under the mantra of going for an "authentic" experience. 1943 felt fairly "authentic", even if not always accurate. It gave me the feeling of fighting in the Pacific with what felt like the weapons of the day. Most of my time was spent with the M1 Garand rifle. But this game, with semi and full-auto rifles everywhere, doesn't really capture the feeling of WW1. A medic with a semi-auto rifle in 1917? Come on. Bolt-action rifles should be the standard in this game, not the exception. This just feels like a re-skin of BF4. A very pretty and evocative re-skin, but a re-skin nonetheless.

The IJN riflemen carrying a reskin of the M1 Garand as their battle rifle didn't really feel authentic, either (even if such a weapon did exist), but I'm in agreement with your point regarding BF1.

dark10x

Do you have any guess of what settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxAzWAM9Hc&feature=youtu.be&a is using?

I swear your DF video has way less pop up and nicer graphics than that older video. You said the settings defaulted to medium? Is that for everyone? Like was it on medium before you changed it? If so: Why would EA let people play and record the game on medium?

I'm just asking because that frankie video has a distracting amount of pop in (and I haaaate pop in in games) , so it would be nice if that video used lower settings
I'm not entirely sure what settings were in use there, since I'm not THAT familiar with the game just yet, but next week I'll have settings comparisons. I did the settings comparison in a different mode which we will be able to show next week, which is why it wasn't in this video.

By default, the PC that I sat down at as well as the ones being used by the guys I was with were set to "automatic" mode and, despite using a GTX1080, the greyed out settings indicated that the automatic mode was selecting medium across the board.

Seeing that this was the case with four PCs in my vicinity, I would guess that it was the default for everyone. To go beyond that, you would have to manually adjust settings (which is what I was doing). I'd imagine there was at least a couple other people in the room that were doing the same, but I can't be sure.

So it's very likely that Jack's (and many others) video is running at sub-Ultra settings.

But BF143 was more "authentic" than previous games because the game was more limited due to it being a small, cheap downloadable game. It not being a full game meant it didn't have as many weapons, vehicles or classes; there were 3 classes with 1 main weapon each, 3 vehicle types and 1 plane per faction from what i remember. That game seemed to be "authentic" in terms of equipment because they either couldn't add more, or there was no real reason to.

Well, I liked it. The rock-paper-scissors weapons forced more strategic and team-based play. And 1943 showed that a BF game doesn't have to be big to feel complete (aside from the lack of maps, which yes I'm still bitter about). I think the popularity of 1943 surprised the BF team, but unfortunately they didn't take any lessons from that success. Other than that people were still interested in 'vintage' time periods.

The IJN riflemen carrying a reskin of the M1 Garand as their battle rifle didn't really feel authentic, either (even if such a weapon did exist), but I'm in agreement with your point regarding BF1.

I'm using DICE's definition of 'authentic' (which they've used to defend a bunch of silly design choices in BF1), which is not the same as accurate. I'm by no means an expert on WW2 weaponry, so to me 1943 gave a feeling of authenticity.

That's basically DICE's measuring stick for these things. However, even someone like me that doesn't know much about WW1's weaponry knows that there weren't machine gunners (or tanks) running around all over the place. So they keep using their term authentic to describe BF1, but it doesn't hold up to even their own tenuous definition of the term. They've basically just decided, right, we have to have X, Y, and Z weapon types, so find some prototypes or rare weapons and make that standard kit. As a layman, it's not a convincing representation of WW1.

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope they reconsider allowing all classes to carry bolt-action rifles. They can limit customisation options if need be.

You can still give snipers the unique variants and specialized versions of bolt actions with scopes, that's actually MORE authentic , because in WW1 with limited supplies when it came to things like very accurate rifles or variants with optics mounted on them they actually gave them to the people who could make the best use of them (IE the guys with really good aim and marksmanship).

Having bolt actions isn't going to make the snipers somehow less focused or not have an identity and I do not get why people think this will.

Am I the only one that played BF 1942? Snipers had scoped Kar98's/no. 4's, know what the engineer had? Un-scoped versions. It didn't make the engineer somehow magically a "sniper" and it didn't make the sniper feel less special.

It's the same thing in games like Red Orchestra, bolt actions are the most available class type, snipers get scoped versions of the ba's and also some semi-auto scoped rifles. Both feel and play differently. Snipers engage and have better long-range because of the scopes.

Battlefield games have ALWAYS had weapons that were shared between other classes, from bf1942 to BF4, I don't get why people are suddenyl having an issue with this or think that un-scoped ba's somehow would negate the need or importance of scoped ba's.

It's not the sniper class that is the problem, obviously you could give them the scoped versions, it's the other classes in the game that would have issues. Currently in Battlefield one (and previous battlefield games) the most defining feature of each class is their primary weapon, if you gave them mostly all the same thing there wouldn't be very much to define the purpose for each of them, to the point where you might aswell get rid of the classes entirely and just go for a loadout system like Battlefront.

I haven't seen anyone say anything about unscoped Bolt-actions making the scout classes scoped versions pointless, its the use of SMGs, semi-automatic and machine guns that i've seen people say should be replaced with Bolt-action rifles instead, despite those being there to offer players choice and give a class a more specific function.

It's been a long time since i've played BF1942, but what weapons did that have shared between classes? Same with BF2, the closest thing there i can remember would be the Assault and Medic both get an assault rifle, yet the Assault classes has a grenade launcher which made it different.

That's basically DICE's measuring stick for these things. However, even someone like me that doesn't know much about WW1's weaponry knows that there weren't machine gunners (or tanks) running around all over the place. So they keep using their term authentic to describe BF1, but it doesn't hold up to even their own tenuous definition of the term. They've basically just decided, right, we have to have X, Y, and Z weapon types, so find some prototypes or rare weapons and make that standard kit. As a layman, it's not a convincing representation of WW1.

It's not supposed to be a convincing representation of WW1. BF3 and BF4 certainly weren't convincing representations of modern combat, i don't know why people suddenly expected the next Battlefield game wouldn't be a Battlefield game.

I'm not entirely sure what settings were in use there, since I'm not THAT familiar with the game just yet, but next week I'll have settings comparisons. I did the settings comparison in a different mode which we will be able to show next week, which is why it wasn't in this video.

By default, the PC that I sat down at as well as the ones being used by the guys I was with were set to "automatic" mode and, despite using a GTX1080, the greyed out settings indicated that the automatic mode was selecting medium across the board.

Seeing that this was the case with four PCs in my vicinity, I would guess that it was the default for everyone. To go beyond that, you would have to manually adjust settings (which is what I was doing). I'd imagine there was at least a couple other people in the room that were doing the same, but I can't be sure.

So it's very likely that Jack's (and many others) video is running at sub-Ultra settings.

Thanks for the reply

I'm not that much of a gfx whore (gameplay over graphics:p) but pop in is the one thing that bothers me endlessly

8fiqpfe23p5x.png

But still no Console footage in sight i guess :(

dark10x

8fiqpfe23p5x.png

But still no Console footage in sight i guess :(
Well, I've seen the game running on an Xbox One and it did look quite good. But I didn't get a particularly close look at it nor was capture available.

So we only have PC capture to examine.

I will say that it seems to have benefitted from the improvements made to Frostbite since BF4/BFH. I'm sure it'll be 720p in its final form but the frame-rate should be steadier than BF4, at least, and the visuals are improved.

Stiler

It's not the sniper class that is the problem, obviously you could give them the scoped versions, it's the other classes in the game that would have issues. Currently in Battlefield one (and previous battlefield games) the most defining feature of each class is their primary weapon, if you gave them mostly all the same thing there wouldn't be very much to define the purpose for each of them, to the point where you might aswell get rid of the classes entirely and just go for a loadout system like Battlefront.

I haven't seen anyone say anything about unscoped Bolt-actions making the scout classes scoped versions pointless, its the use of SMGs, semi-automatic and machine guns that i've seen people say should be replaced with Bolt-action rifles instead, despite those being there to offer players choice and give a class a more specific function.

It's been a long time since i've played BF1942, but what weapons did that have shared between classes? Same with BF2, the closest thing there i can remember would be the Assault and Medic both get an assault rifle, yet the Assault classes has a grenade launcher which made it different.

It's not supposed to be a convincing representation of WW1. BF3 and BF4 certainly weren't convincing representations of modern combat, i don't know why people suddenly expected the next Battlefield game wouldn't be a Battlefield game.

No one is asking for them to drop mg/smgs, everyone asking for BA's are asking for them to be an optional "all kit" weapon like carbines in BF4 or such, just a weapon type that anyone can play with any class, an unscoped BA that is.

In bf1942 engineers had unscoped Kar98/No. 4's whereas snipers had scoped versions. I n BF2 you were right about assault, that was my point, other bf's had weapon sharing with some differences (IE scopes or underbarrels).

Well, I've seen the game running on an Xbox One and it did look quite good. But I didn't get a particularly close look at it nor was capture available.

So we only have PC capture to examine.

I will say that it seems to have benefitted from the improvements made to Frostbite since BF4/BFH. I'm sure it'll be 720p in its final form but the frame-rate should be steadier than BF4, at least, and the visuals are improved.

How close was it to the PC footage so far?

And nice to hear.

I hope the Beta isnt that far away.

Tovarisc

DICE has been operating under the mantra of going for an "authentic" experience. 1943 felt fairly "authentic", even if not always accurate. It gave me the feeling of fighting in the Pacific with what felt like the weapons of the day. Most of my time was spent with the M1 Garand rifle. But this game, with semi and full-auto rifles everywhere, doesn't really capture the feeling of WW1. A medic with a semi-auto rifle in 1917? Come on. Bolt-action rifles should be the standard in this game, not the exception. This just feels like a re-skin of BF4. A very pretty and evocative re-skin, but a re-skin nonetheless.

It looks authentic [weapon models, tank models, uniforms and details on them etc.], but it doesn't play authentically. I specifically said "authentic mil-sim experience" and something like ArmA 3 fits that description. We are talking about authentic mil-sim experience from equipment looks to behavior, and pacing of the gameplay. Battlefield franchise has never been about time period authentic gameplay, it has always been fast and acrady FPS.

Which is okay, but to expect else this far into lifespan of franchise is... weird?

elyetis

That's what modern bf games are missing

the flags are never more than 30 seconds away for anyone spawning anywhere, especially with all the vehicles and how fast they are

Add squad and vehicle spawns to that and it just becomes a meatgrinder

You can't have conquest when taking a flag doesn't mean anything other than tickets.
Conquest was brilliant because you could cut off enemy spawns effectively, take a flag behind enemy lines to pincer spawn etc. Taking a flag was meaningful and would reshape the entire battlefield.

It'll never stop amazing me that dice don't know their own series enough to understand how to do conquest maps
It's hard to say if it's because they don't understand it, or if they simply consider it less important than making the game all about instant action & gratification. It's really all about always being close to the action, reward you for it with points, and puting chock points for even more action.
Metro is just that design at it's extreme, but pretty much every map got that treatment, even karkand and Oman remake in bf3. Alborz Mountains is probably the least affected map of bf3-4.

Making modern warfare over the top and unrealistic is fine, this is not ARMA after all, and as a layman non-gun expert, the tech in the modern BF games feels authentic to me. BF1, unless you're some poor uneducated soul that has never heard of WW1 before, fails the authenticity test under the slightest bit of scrutiny.

But perhaps I just have a different standard for games based on historical settings. They should be treated with a bit more reverence, especially for a war which has never really had a spotlight in games. All these kids who know very little about WW1 are going to think it was just a steampunk version of WW2.

Top Bottom