• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience 2015: Exhibitors List & Playable Games

Can someone break down the story why the Crash rights are at Activision?

Ok. I think I can do this.

Back in the day Naughty Dog had a publishing deal with Universal which started with the seminal shitty early 90's digitized fight game Way of the Worrier!

They made a deal with Sony so they would publish Crash on PlayStation and push it as their mascot. Universal still kind of helped out. Mark Cerny was basically the game guy at Universal at the time.

Since ND and Sony got on so well they decided to cut out the Universal middle man for Jak and Daxter for PS2 and Universal decided "hey. lets try put these Crash and Spyro games on other systems".

And at that point the rights went this way...

Universal Interactive still owned crash.
Universal Interactive eventually sold off its game stuff to Vivendi.
Vivendi owned Blizzard (and also Sierra)
And in 2006 or 07 All of Vivendi Games Publishing merged with Activision and created what is now officially known as Activision | Blizzard

Activision named themselves Activision Blizzard and not Activision Vivendi because Vivendi still exists as a multi media company and they only bought their games lineup.

Currently Vivendi owns 80% of daily motion and may or may not be plotting a hostile take over of Ubisoft.

Tizoc

Thank you very much. Very stupid situation, has Activision done anything with Crash at all ?

Not a single thing far as I can remember.
They did use the Spyro license for Skylanders but then stopped using Spyro as that series' mascot I think.

I mean you'd think they'd at least use the franchise for some cartoons or toys, but nada.

Thank you very much. Very stupid situation, has Activision done anything with Crash at all ?

I think they made a game early on the 360?

Also a version of Crash Team Racing for iOS when iOS was first taking off.

Rumours and some leaks showed they did have Vicarious Visions tossing around ideas for crash a few years ago. Some of a platformer. Some for another kart racier but nothing came of it.

Also it should be mentioned that by the time Activision got its hands on the IP it was already in a hole after the PS2 Viendi days. Crash was not a hot property by any means by that time.

I would not be shocked if Activision tried something with it on the scale of the games they are currently doing through the Sierra brand. Seems like the brand has seen a bit of a groundswell since PlayStation All Stars reminded some people of it (BY NOT BEING IN THE GAME) and then the wave of PS1 nostalgia that happened with the PS4 marketing.

I totally see them testing the waters with a small downloadable game down the road but I havent a clue who develops it.

Oh and people who expect Sony to get the rights to the IP are crazy.

anderedna

Here's ours: Cosmic Star Heroine. Turn-based RPG inspired by Phantasy Star, Lunar, and Chrono Trigger. PS4, Vita, PC.

Hey, you know when to take the screenshot. First and third screenshot sold me the game. Will be picking on PS4 once it's released.
Seriously, with PS4 and indie push from Sony, I'm more open to buy & play indie games now. Enjoyed Transistor and Bastion (both RPGs), and I'll enjoy this game as well.

OT: SE will be there again to troll us once more? Watch the UltimaTroll come on stage and say they'll bring another beloved FF to PS4, and bam, Lightning returns.

Eggbok

I think they made a game early on the 360?

Also a version of Crash Team Racing for iOS when iOS was first taking off.

Rumours and some leaks showed they did have Vicarious Visions tossing around ideas for crash a few years ago. Some of a platformer. Some for another kart racier but nothing came of it.

Also it should be mentioned that by the time Activision got its hands on the IP it was already in a hole after the PS2 Viendi days. Crash was not a hot property by any means by that time.

I would not be shocked if Activision tried something with it on the scale of the games they are currently doing through the Sierra brand. Seems like the brand has seen a bit of a groundswell since PlayStation All Stars reminded some people of it (BY NOT BEING IN THE GAME) and then the wave of PS1 nostalgia that happened with the PS4 marketing.

I totally see them testing the waters with a small downloadable game down the road but I havent a clue who develops it.

Oh and people who expect Sony to get the rights to the IP are crazy.

Rights to the IP are definitely out there but them partnering with Sony for a Crash game is definitely possible right?

Rights to the IP are definitely out there but them partnering with Sony for a Crash game is definitely possible right?

Just like with any game sure.

I could see a situation where Sony goes to Acitivison with a plan on paper and worked out a deal like they did with Double Fine + Disney with Grim Fandango.

Or Maybe Sony asks about it and that got someone at Acitivison interested enough that Acitivison decided to do a new game on their own. That could also happen.

Tizoc

Just like with any game sure.

I could see a situation where Sony goes to Acitivison with a plan on paper and worked out a deal like they did with Double Fine + Disney with Grim Fandango.

Or Maybe Sony asks about it and that got someone at Acitivison interested enough that Acitivison decided to do a new game on their own. That could also happen.

I do agree that a small $15-30 priced game would be a good step in the right direction. Generally crash games are short and stages can be completed in short bursts. If there's one game from the past few years it should take inspiration from it'd be Super Mario 3D Land; short but simple and fun stages. While that game had like 40+ stages, for the price range I mentioned they can do something passable with 25-30 stages.

Danlord

Activision = CoD

But Treyarch are listed separately, I think is arousing some hype suspicion.

I hope that Crash does go to Sony, I don't know how good I will feel if it's only a temporary partnership licensing the IP to Sony. The IP is rich for so many than just a single one-off title partnered with Sony, a return to Crash Team Racing revival would be huge also and someone can pull off a Jak & Daxter style Crash (that wasn't like the PS2 games).

image.php

perfect

Activision = CoD

But they have that Sierra lable now which is all about bring back old IP's and doing small digital release.

I do agree that a small $15-30 priced game would be a good step in the right direction. Generally crash games are short and stages can be completed in short bursts. If there's one game from the past few years it should take inspiration from it'd be Super Mario 3D Land; short but simple and fun stages. While that game had like 40+ stages, for the price range I mentioned they can do something passable with 25-30 stages.

I see a new crash to be a modern take on the PS1 game style. Running down narrow paths doing Crash typical Crash stuff + some occasional 2D stuff + some silly vehicle section for kicks.

Also part of me is surprised Activision never tried making a Temple Run knock off with Crash running though a forest doing Crash stuff. That seems like something that makes a little sense.

kgtrep

Out of the list, I'm looking forward to hearing how Ray's the Dead is. Found out by chance that a fellow GAFfer is developing it.

Tizoc

But they have that Sierra lable now which is all about bring back old IP's and doing small digital release.
While it is rather pricey, King's Quest is one step in the right direction....although Ep. 1 has been out for MONTHS now and Ep. 2 is nowhere to be seen, I think it's taking longer than a Telltales ep. for one to be released @_@

I see a new crash to be a modern take on the PS1 game style. Running down narrow paths doing Crash typical Crash stuff + some occasional 2D stuff + some silly vehicle section for kicks.
That's what I was thinking of actually, at least for a first game.
It could include like say 5 stages where instead of a linear path you are given an area to explore, find collectibles and clear specific objectives to complete it.
Those 5 stages would be intended to test how a Crash game with an alt. level structure could work or not.

Also make Crash and Coco playable for boys and girls to enjoy :p

I really want a new Crash Bandicoot game. Sony should buy the rights, if Activision is willing to sell them. If Sony has bought them and has a Crash game in the works, then it will be at psx. A return of Crash is a psx level announcement.

Alo0oy

Banned
All these games are funded, published and owned by Sony, so the games themselves are not "indie".

I guess something like The Witcher 3 could count as an "indie". And hey, Microsoft had Ryse in their indie game showreel in 2013.

"Indie" is a fucking stupid term. In movies, music, and now games.

I'm just pointing out how stupid the "indie" distinction is. Indie basically means the games were developed by an independent studio, even if the game is being published by a big publisher like Sony. That works in movies too, as there are plenty of "indie" movies that are distributed by Sony or Fox for example.

Dachande

KOFXIV being playable here, if that's really true, is its do-or-die moment. After that whole reveal fiasco, if it doesn't impress here, it's fucking dead in the water.

Tizoc

KOFXIV being playable here, if that's really true, is its do-or-die moment. After that whole reveal fiasco, if it doesn't impress here, it's fucking dead in the water.

Woah.
Mind you I suspect the ver. that they'll show is from very early in development, I'm a blind optimist to I'm hoping the final visuals will be better ^^; Either way long as it plays good I don't care much about graphics :X

Dachande

Woah.
Mind you I suspect the ver. that they'll show is from very early in development, I'm a blind optimist to I'm hoping the final visuals will be better ^^; Either way long as it plays good I don't care much about graphics :X

The problem is that if it was that early in development, they shouldn't have shown it in the first place.

I mean, I know how shit early and unfinished games can look and feel. They can look really fucking bad, and if that's the case here where it is very early (and I do mean very early) footage then that's fine and I'm sure that with time and effort the team behind KOFXIV can make it look and feel better (especially if it's still the core team behind XIII).

But if what they showed was far enough along in development where the company could say, "yes, we think this is representative enough of our game to show to our consumers", then they have problems, because the reaction (as you saw on GAF itself) was not good at all.

If they get another reaction like that, I don't really think it'll recover in terms of the public perception, especially if what is released doesn't massively improve from what was shown.

If you mean partner as in co-market then that's possible. But if you're talking about partner as in Sony invests in the game and develops it, then there's no chance of that happening. Crash and Spyro are the reasons why Sony wants the IP rights for a game if they invest in it. No way are they going to want to potentially make Crash a big IP again only to have Activision turn around and make it a multiplatform franchise.

eerik9000

I'm just pointing out how stupid the "indie" distinction is. Indie basically means the games were developed by an independent studio, even if the game is being published by a big publisher like Sony. That works in movies too, as there are plenty of "indie" movies that are distributed by Sony or Fox for example.

That's not really what indie means and that's not how it works, especially with films.

Most indie films are produced without having a distributor and are then sold at film festivals/markets. Production studios making these films have complete creative control over what they do and in most cases sell an already finished product to the distributors.

The games you mentioned earlier were all sold to and funded by Sony in the very early stages of development or even before. These games were produced under the supervision of Sony who had the last word on what they should do. These games probably would not have happened if Sony or other big publisher did not pick them up.

Indie doesn't mean who owns the studio that's making the game. It means where the money comes from and who has the creative control.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's not really what indie means and that's not how it works, especially with films.

Most indie films are produced without having a distributor and are then sold at film festivals/markets. Production studios making these films have complete creative control over what they do and in most cases sell an already finished product to the distributors.

The games you mentioned earlier were all sold to and funded by Sony in the very early stages of development or even before. These games were produced under the supervision of Sony who had the last word on what they should do. These games probably would not have happened if Sony or other big publisher did not pick them up.

Indie doesn't mean who owns the studio that's making the game. It means where the money comes from and who has the creative control.

Many games have different circumstances, Sunset Overdrive fits your definition of indie but published by a big publisher, or any game under Sony's pub fund. It gets ever weirder when The Witcher 3 is an indie & Wattam isn't under your definition. Devolver is also a publisher so under your definition any games they publish isn't indie.

Indie means either developed by an independent studio, or a game self-published by that independent studio, the reason I don't subscribe to the latter is that XBLA never allowed self-publishing (they still don't?), so even games by indie studios need to find a publisher. That was the case on PS3 as well.

yurinka

Btw, Armature appears on the list. The game they were making with Inafune was a Microsoft IP or not?

Maybe it's just a timed exclusive like Tomb Raider or Below?

yurinka

From Xdev I want to see Rime and Wild, plus an announcement of a new Wipeout for PS4 and PSVR made with former Wipeout devs, maybe from Firesprite and Evolution.

I'd love to see Disney announcing the new Star Wars from Visceral there, with Amy Hennig and maybe Jade Raymond to talk about it.

Regarding Double Fine, I assume they'll have there Day of the Tentacle, and hopefully announce Monkey Island Remastered or Full Throttle Remastered for PS4,Vita and PC.

I didn't know who Maximum Games are. Seems that they released Farming Simulator '16 for Vita and Divinity: Original Sin Enhaced Edition (PS4, XBO) this month, and have WRC5 coming this holydays. They have Lichdom: Battlemages "coming soon to consoles", Dr. Nano coming soon to PS4, PC and XBO and Loading Human coming for PSVR and Oculus. I bet they will focus on Loading Human.

505 Games has many things coming, such as Abzu, Adrift for PSVR. In addition to showing them they may announce Sniper Elite 4 or Arma 3 coming to PS4

Acttil seems to have Superbeat: Xonic, a musical game coming to Vita this fall, so I assume they will have somehting new and cool to announce there. Never heard about them before, but are the guys behind DJ MAX Fever.

Regarding Wargaming, I think it's a safe bet to think they will announce a 'World of' something game for PS4.
Thanks!

Can't wait for more Horizon baby

lol if they only show Rigs

I could see a new trailer for Horizon, but they will probably have a huge setup for Rigs. It is playable, they could have some competitions there, show of PSVR as well, it allows for some fun competitive gaming AND to show off PSVR. Two birds with one stone.

Plus, there were a lot of positive impressions of Rigs at E3, so it would probably be smart to allow the public a chance to get their hands on it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
CSCPWuOUcAAy5fv.jpg:large

Sony Santa Monica tweeted this earlier today. Considering they're showing up at PSX, this bodes well! Hoping they show the new God of War Foosball game they have in development!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
CSCPWuOUcAAy5fv.jpg:large

Sony Santa Monica tweeted this earlier today. Considering they're showing up at PSX, this bodes well! Hoping they show the new God of War Foosball game they have in development!

Bout time SSM showed their shit.

Can someone break down the story why the Crash rights are at Activision?

It's kinda complicated. Universal Games owned the IP but as far as I know they were all funded and published by Sony, so I'd imagine that Naughty Dog were already developing the first game before Sony stepped in to finance them and secured them as exclusive (obviously wanting their own equivalent to Mario & Sonic). Anyway, for reasons I don't recall Universal started treating ND like absolute shit (they had an office on Universal's film lot, but after a bit of conflict that 'office' was reduced to desks in a hallway) and ND wanted to fulfil their contract as quickly as possible and then jump ship - I think this happened while they were developing CTR (
the best Crash game
). Anyway, Naughty Dog left to develop Jak & Daxter for Sony during which time Sony acquired them, and other developers including Traveller's Tales, Eurocom and Radical Games started making the Crash games. Universal Games were later bought by Vivendi (who at the time already owned both Blizzard and Sierra), becoming Vivendi Universal, and then in 2008 bought a controlling stake in Activision, becoming Activision Blizzard as we know them today. ActiBlizz later bought back their independence in 2013, taking with them all of the videogame brands that Vivendi once held - hence why they have started publishing old IPs under the Sierra brand again, and they now own Crash (and Spyro) in their entirety.

Basically, Sony funding the first four Crash games but not retaining the IP is the reason why they insist on owning the IP for almost everything they publish these days. I wonder how things would be different if Crash was still under Sony's wing and had genuinely become the face of PlayStation, instead of the de facto one.

Spyro the Dragon also has a very similar history, but obviously substitute ND for Insomniac. As I understand it there has always been a friendly rivalry between the two companies.

Top Bottom