• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this is pretty interesting I used to beMuslim for a few good 4 years of my life and I used to always enjoy fasting although my mother didn't like it much (we were Christian before)

I see some mentions here that these next few years will be harder? I'm just curious as to why that is. I recall being told the summer fasting was only a once every so and so year thing?

bidguy

Banned
Wow this is pretty interesting I used to beMuslim for a few good 4 years of my life and I used to always enjoy fasting although my mother didn't like it much (we were Christian before)

I see some mentions here that these next few years will be harder? I'm just curious as to why that is. I recall being told the summer fasting was only a once every so and so year thing?

its because these last years ramadan was during (or very close to) winter so the days were shorter. for the next 10 years (could be more) or so its going to be in summer.

already started here in germany
just a bit over 2 hours till maghrib

Q8D3vil

Man this Ramadan coincide with my final week with Giant sits, i think I'm going to do it after fotor and when i switch back to normal supersets i will do them before fotor for maximum calorie burning.

Ashes

Banned
I'm hypoglycemic, and I've gotten kidney stones the past 3 times I've "fully" fasted.

Because of that. I've kept water in my fast. Obstained from food, and kept glucose tablets near me, just in case. You can still fast from food and the other things.

Also, I keep drinking water to my "normal" amount. I don't fill up on water to curb hunger.

Did you talk to a scholar? Cause I'm thinking you're not supposed to be fasting.

Oh dang, I didn't realize Ramadan fasting included water! I double wouldn't make it then. Not that I even want to or anything, but I'm just amazed at the people who can do it.

Never really craved for water; nor struggled with fast. This might be a first though. Really hot in the UK this summer.

Sorral

Happy fasting/Ramadan kareem everyone!

It is tomorrow for us too. I guess I am pretty lucky this year as I have my mom visiting me in the US for all of the Ramadan. It will be hard to convince her to not cook too much...

Started fasting today in Germany, though everybody except Turkey is apparently starting tomorrow. That's what I get for listening to the german muslim central (Zentralrat der Muslime) and not checking in with my mom in Egypt.

Anyways:

Ramadan ̶m̶̶u̶̶b̶̶a̶̶r̶̶a̶̶k̶̶ ̶/̶ ̶̶m̶̶o̶̶r̶̶s̶̶i̶ / ̶a̶̶l̶-̶s̶̶i̶̶s̶̶i̶ Kareem!

Tizoc

Ramadan mubarak everyone mi country starts on wednesday :)
Futtor us at 7 pm and ill see if i feel thirsty arter 1 hour gym workout from 5-6. If im fine il keep doing it whenever i am free at that hour >:)

Ashes

Banned
Ramadan mubarak everyone mi country starts on wednesday :)
Futtor us at 7 pm and ill see if i feel thirsty arter 1 hour gym workout from 5-6. If im fine il keep doing it whenever i am free at that hour >:)

By the time, I'm pretty sure you are referring to iftar. Never knew it was called that. What country(s) refer to iftar by that, do you know?

And what do you call sehri (Suhoor)?

effzee

The Islamic calender is a lunar calendar so every year it shifts by about 10 days. That is why Ramadan (and all the other months) are never on the same modern day calender year to year. Same with many Jewish holy days.

So Ramadan will continue to occur during the summer months for the next 4-5 years. This year its starting around July 9-10th and next year it will start at the very end of June and so and so on for the following years.

The previous 6-8 years Ramadan started in August, moving 10 days up every year. Eventually once it gets back into the cooler months, it will be considered "easier" because it will be shorter day time hours (fasting hours) plus cooler weather wearing on the body less compared to the heat wave we are going through right now in the Northeast US.

Ramadan Kareem brothers, middle of winter here so fasting only from 7:30-5:15ish which always makes it easier since ill be at work almost all of that time.

Tizoc

By the time, I'm pretty sure you are referring to iftar. Never knew it was called that. What country(s) refer to iftar by that, do you know?

And what do you call sehri (Suhoor)?

Well over here we've always referred to them as Futoor and Suhoor at least in the household and during family get togethers during Ramadhan. I did not know Suhoor would be called 'Sehri' though.

Did you talk to a scholar? Cause I'm thinking you're not supposed to be fasting.

Never really craved for water; nor struggled with fast. This might be a first though. Really hot in the UK this summer.

Keep in mind fasting isn't just food and water. It's mind and faith as well.

Just because I need water and the (rare) occasion of sugar caps, I should still fast for the rest of things.

I was suggested when I was younger to "not fast" and, I ate and everything, but I learned that I can still "fast" while working around my physical limitations so I don't hurt myself.

Dua_for_Fasting.jpg

Ashes

Banned
Well over here we've always referred to them as Futoor and Suhoor at least in the household and during family get togethers during Ramadhan. I did not know Suhoor would be called 'Sehri' though.

Where is 'here' if don't my asking?

I have a thing for language. :p

Keep in mind fasting isn't just food and water. It's mind and faith as well.

Just because I need water and the (rare) occasion of sugar caps, I should still fast for the rest of things.

I was suggested when I was younger to "not fast" and, I ate and everything, but I learned that I can still "fast" while working around my physical limitations so I don't hurt myself.

Kidney stones are serious business. It is not my place to advise, but I guess, you're old enough to know best.

this section of Quran is especially pertinent to Ramadhan for me

LlGrC0n.png

That you should also remember Allah while exploring the world and not just explore the world and forget Allah

Where is 'here' if don't my asking?

I have a thing for language. :p

Kidney stones are serious business. It is not my place to advise, but I guess, you're old enough to know best.

It was the lack of water that caused the kidney stones. I drink almost 2 liters of water a day in my normal diet. When I start to get dehydrated, they come back. But that's why I drink the water still. I'll fast from everything else except for that basically.

d[-_-]b

Banned
So first fast tomorrow, time to get some sleep wake up before Fajr and have some caffeine otherwise i'll suffer some major withdrawal :(.
Ramadan Kareem

Kisaya

My mom is away for the whole summer. I don't know how my family will manage. It'll be funny seeing my dad cook the main dishes, haha.

Khalid-S

Ramadan Kareem.

Any Muslim GAFer from Denmark? heard they fast for 21 hours.. only 3 hours in a day to eat!! Thats brutal. May allah ease it for them.

FoxDie

Ramadan Mubarak GAF
this is my first Ramadan in USA , 17 hours .. bring it on !
spent some time searching for this in NJ and found it at the end :D
vimto.png

Lamel

Banned
Just finished sehri, overloaded on water like a mad man.

This is a brutal time to be woken up at night.

Kenka

Ramadan Kareem.

Any Muslim GAFer from Denmark? heard they fast for 21 hours.. only 3 hours in a day to eat!! Thats brutal. May allah ease it for them.
I don't think it's possible: in Stockholm, Maghrib prayer time is 9:59 pm and fajr is 2:25 am. Denmark probably has 1:30 more time to eat, which would give us 18 hour long fasting days, ever decreasing till Ramadan's end.

Yasir

Ramadan Kareem.

In the UK, first fast is today. I've been fasting Mondays for the last 3 or so months, so hoping that experience will help me through insha'Allah.

Ramadan definetly has that atmosphere about it; something always feels different about this blessed time of year :) alhamdullilah.

InshaAllah, the aim is to improve my self control, my patience and calm down/be less angry. I find stress kills my patience and tolerance levels very quickly. Hopefully, I can improve ia.

And gottsa lose some of that weight too ;)

I don't think it's possible: in Stockholm, Maghrib prayer time is 9:59 pm and fajr is 2:25 am. Denmark probably has 1:30 more time to eat, which would give us 18 hour long fasting days, ever decreasing till Ramadan's end.

I wonder if scholars will ever get together and discuss such things. The ~20 hour days must be so difficult. Once you go to sleep it's already time to wake up and fast again.

You would barely have time to even digest the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom