• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Good Luck everyone

I gave up on Islam long time ago and used to fast like a mad man back in the ol' days

I'll miss the Roo Afza with tukmalanga, Egg Rolls galore (beef keema or oriental chicken + noodles, home made), chana chaat and Pakoras

Doesn't help I just had surgery and have a 3' gaping hole on my left butt cheek lol

Hope you guys get through them easily!

For anyone going WTF is tukmalanga, this:

GnqNVbl.jpg

LzakFqnl.jpg

Lirlond

Not a Muslim, just curious. Someone who works nights, say they wake up at 7pm and work from 9pm to 6am and sleep around 11 or noon. Would they receive permission from an imam to fast during the night hours ? What happens here.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Not a Muslim, just curious. Someone who works nights, say they wake up at 7pm and work from 9pm to 6am and sleep around 11 or noon. Would they receive permission from an imam to fast during the night hours ? What happens here.

No. They have to fast the same period as everyone else...they can't have their own prescribed fasting period.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Good Luck everyone

I gave up on Islam long time ago and used to fast like a mad man back in the ol' days

I'll miss the Roo Afza with tukmalanga, Egg Rolls galore (beef keema or oriental chicken + noodles, home made), chana chaat and Pakoras

Doesn't help I just had surgery and have a 3' gaping hole on my left butt cheek lol

Hope you guys get through them easily!

For anyone going WTF is tukmalanga, this:

http://i.imgur.com/GnqNVbl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LzakFqnl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat but I still fast. I guess it's more of a cultural thing for me than a religious requirement. Never heard of tukmalanga, looks delicious though, is it a south asian drink?

phalestine

aka iby.h
Fair enough. Just feels to me like he's got it easy. Eat all he likes while he's working and then sleep when the suns up.

Heh yeah maybe easier, but the best part of Ramadan is sitting down with your friends/family for dinner time. I tell people its like have thanksgiving everyday for a month.

Same feeling after breaking my fast with some watermelon. So good! No fruit has ever had that effect on me before.

Really need to quit swearing though...far too ingrained in my normal speech, it's disturbing.

Luckily, I'm in a very professional setting most of the day. And when I'm home. I'm knocked out to say anything. =P

It hasn't been as hard as I though. But its a bit difficult to eat food at night. It seems my apatite is off :/

I feel like I want to vomit after I eat. Eating then going straight to sleep makes me feel terrible. But I don't have any other option. -__-. Just gotta work through it.

There is a class of Saudi students at my local Uni that said they are moving back to SA because the days are too long here... lol.

Kraftwerk

I used to feel terrible too. Eating and then going to bed just doesn't work for me. My regiment is now having a glass of water or milk with one banana or two dates. I also mix one spoon of r carbohydrate powder with the drink. I do some stretches and go for a run or just workout. When I eat after I feel completely fine and sleep really well.

effzee

Ramadhan mubarak my brothers. First one for me today in US as I followed the moon sighting.

Thank you for this. I wish muslims would stick to the sunnah of the Prophet and we would have more unity.

Not going to continue on this topic but suffice to say there is enough debate on the matter to at least bring it into question. Its not a clear cut answer. From my readings and understanding there has never been a command from the Quran or from the Prophet (pbuh) on how to exactly calculate the moon sighting or IF that and that ONLY is the only manner to determine the beginning of the month.

The explanations and conclusions reached by ISNA and FCNA make sense to me.

Anyway on the topic of working out. I was already doing intermittent fasting while lifting so I thought the difference wouldn't be too noticeable but its huge! Intermittent fasting allows you to drink water or any other zero calorie drink (like black coffee) and if anything the caffeine which I guess I am addicted to kept me going. I tried to go the first two days of Ramadan without any coffee or tea, and I had a pounding headache by Isha time.

Still trying to ween off of drinking and eating so many dairy products so I decided with iftar i will have a cup of either black tea or black coffee. The idea of working out right before iftar seems interesting but also dangerous. Since you can't have any water and you because you will be on an empty stomach don't you run the risk of fainting?

Same with working out right after sehri. I feel like after a workout I need to drink so much water that it would leave me tired and dehydrated the rest of the day. To me the safest workout seems like right after iftar or after isha/taraweeh. But the hours are such that if I try to include a workout during those hours, I end up with 2-3 hours of sleep before I have to wake up again for sehri.

Ashes

Banned

Fasting is from sunrise to sunset regardless of circumstance. One might not fast, and others can feel you in on the reasons why, but where one does fast, it is always during daylight hours.

I'm night shift. And we have to work seven days on seven days off. So you're bound to get at least two weeks fast like everyone else. Apart from that yeah, you have to sleep during the day. Reading prayers is more difficult, because nipping out for five minutes is ok, but not for two hours.

I've not really been sleeping well, but that's universal to all night shift workers. And the long days, mean it's still hard mode for us. To be honest, it's hard-mode most of the year for us. Diet's off schedule. Body clock is messed up. Sleep is minimal and irregular.

Qataris hospitalised for overeating on first night of Ramadan
Qatari hospitals have begun receiving scores of patients suffering severe abdominal pains as a result of overeating during the first night of Ramadan, with an average of up to 15 patients expected to be admitted each night during the holy month.

“Most of the cases at the emergency room during Ramadan are gastritis, we see between 10 to 15 cases of overeating every day,” a medical staff member at Al Ahli Hospital told Arabian Business on Wednesday, the first night of the holy month of Ramadan.

“They generally start arriving at the emergency room around 8-8:30pm in severe gastric pain and with repeated vomiting. They can’t stop vomiting without medication because there is an inflammation of the mucosa of the stomach,” the staff member said.

Patients were treated with intravenous injections of a mix of medications including painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs and emetics.

Last year, over 100 people were admitted to the emergency department of a Doha hospital suffering from abdominal pains after the first night of Ramadan, with other patients also suffering the effects of dehydration and kidney problems.

“Usually during summer we receive many patients having GE (gastroenteritis) and because many people tend to eat a lot during Ramadan, they usually fall victim to foods that are not properly stored and which have got some bacteria accumulated on it. The people then suffer diarrhoea, stomach upset and vomiting after eating such food,” Dr Warda Ali Al Sadd, chief consultant of the emergency department at the Hamad Medical Corporation told the Doha-based Gulf Times newspaper last year.

“We have also received many patients suffering from renal colic due to a combination of dehydration, hot weather and fasting and triggered by their kidney or urethral stones,” Al-Sadd added.

During the first week of Ramadan in 2011, reported figures showed that 7,700 cases of fasting-related illnesses were registered at the emergency department of Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC).

A report this week by the United Nations found populations in the Gulf have been rated as among the fattest in the world, with almost half of adults in Kuwait classed as obese.

The State of Food and Agriculture study said that rising obesity rates could cost the global economy $47trn over the next two decades, due to loss of labour productivity and fees associated with treating lifestyle diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.

Kuwait led the way with the highest proportion of obese adults in the GCC, with 42.8 percent falling into this bracket in 2008, followed by Saudi Arabia at 35.2 percent. In the UAE, 33.7 percent of the population were identified as having a serious weight problem, while in Qatar it was 33.1 percent and Bahrain 32.6 percent.

The report said that the prevalence of overweight and obese adults was rising in nearly all regions, with the global average increasing from 24 percent in 1980 to 34 percent to 2008.
No words.

Also, Big Picture is here!! Ramadan 2013. Also, more pics of that giant Istanbul street iftar

s_r02_72678402.jpg

Muslim clerics scan the horizon for the crescent moon that will determine the beginning of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, in Jakarta, Indonesia, on July 8, 2013.
s_r04_73213643.jpg

A Palestinian man reads verses from the Quran, Islam's holy book, at al-Omari mosque on the first day of Ramadan, on July 10, 2013 in Gaza City.
s_r09_44728858.jpg

Thousands of people sit on Istiklal Avenue, in Istanbul, Turkey, on July 9, 2013. Thousands broke the fast on the first day of Ramadan in a kind of spontaneous form of protest sitting in a line of some hundred meters from Galatasaray University to Taksim Square on the street chanting slogans while eating together.
s_r10_RTX11I17.jpg

Anti-government protesters eat as they break their fast on the first day Ramadan as police officers take position at Taksim Square in Istanbul, on July 9, 2013. Turkish police allowed thousands of protesters who have been trying to block the redevelopment of a park in Istanbul to break their Ramadan fast on Tuesday before resuming efforts to get them to leave the area.
s_r11_73184257.jpg

Turkish anti-government protesters break their first day of fasting for of Ramadan on Istiklal street, on July 9, 2013 in Istanbul.
s_r12_RTX11HO3.jpg

Workers clean the floor of the Badshahi Mosque ahead of the holy month of Ramadan in Lahore, Pakistan, on July 9, 2013.
s_r16_73173932.jpg

Indonesian Muslim women hold prayers on the first night of Ramadan at the Istiqlal mosque in Jakarta, on July 9, 2013.
s_r18_73181201.jpg

Muslims pray in the first Tarawih to mark the start of the month of Ramadan in Cheng Ho Mosque on July 9, 2013 in Surabaya, Indonesia.
s_r20_RTX11HM7.jpg

A child leans down near members of the Muslim community attending midday prayers at Strasbourg Grand Mosque in Strasbourg, France on the first day of Ramadan, July 9, 2013
s_r22_45703362.jpg

Mosque workers prepare food for distribution to the poor and Muslims who come to break their fast at Noor Mosque in Nairobi, Kenya, on July 10, 2013.
s_r23_73182759.jpg

A pastry chef holds a tray of Arabic sweets at his bakery in Gaza City on the eve of the start of Ramadan, on July 9, 2013.
s_r25_RTX11I5X.jpg

Muslims attend an evening communal prayer session called "Tarawih" to mark the holy fasting month of Ramadan at the Bajrakli mosque in Belgrade, Serbia, on July 9, 2013.
s_r30_RTX11IJU.jpg

People nap while waiting to break their fast in Istiqlal mosque during the first day of the holy fasting month of Ramadan in Jakarta, on July 10, 2013.
s_r15_73175123.jpg

An Indonesian woman plays a game on her tablet during a sermon on the first night of Ramadan at the Istiqlal mosque in Jakarta, on July 9, 2013.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can you look at girls during fasting?

You can't look at girls at all. It's forbidden all year round. Unless of course, it's your wife, or family.

btw, while I don't fast, I sure appreciate iftar food :)

What the... towards the bolded.

Of course you can look at girls. Hell there are so many females where I work I need to basically wrap my eyes in bandages if I can't look at the opposite sex.

However during fasting, it is not allowed to look at the opposite sex in a lusting manner. One need to suppress any sexual thoughts as best as he/she possibly could during the fasting, and as such looking at materials/things that may provoke such thoughts are not allowed.

An example: if I during my fasting spot a beautiful girl wearing a mini skirt, my fast would not be cancelled just because I see her. But if I purposefully look at her again and again, only then my fasting would be questionable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You can't look at girls at all. It's forbidden all year round. Unless of course, it's your wife, or family.

btw, while I don't fast, I sure appreciate iftar food :)

dude ..., what ... lol that's not how it goes. You're supposed to keep your gaze down in a respectful manner, not completely avoid contact like freaking medusa.

Despera

Banned
What the... towards the bolded.

Of course you can look at girls. Hell there are so many females where I work I need to basically wrap my eyes in bandages if I can't look at the opposite sex.

However during fasting, it is not allowed to look at the opposite sex in a lusting manner. One need to suppress any sexual thoughts as best as he/she possibly could during the fasting, and as such looking at materials/things that may provoke such thoughts are not allowed.
Why are you so shocked? Allah did say:

قل للمؤمنين يغضوا من أبصارهم ويحفظوا فروجهم ذلك أزكى لهم إن الله خبير بما يصنعون

Translation: "Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do."

In general, it's haraam as agreed by the majority of trusted clerics. The remaining few say it is halaal as long as the female is wearing hijab and only her hands and face are showing, provided no lust is involved.

If the female is not wearing any hijab, then it's haraam to look at her as agreed by all, unless absolutely necessary.

An example: if I during my fasting spot a beautiful girl wearing a mini skirt, my fast would not be cancelled just because I see her. But if I purposefully look at her again and again, only then my fasting would be questionable.
It won't break your fast no matter how hard you look, but you also won't receive the full ajr. As long as you don't reach ejaculation, your fast is still intact.

dude ..., what ... lol that's not how it goes. You're supposed to keep your gaze down in a respectful manner, not completely avoid contact like freaking medusa.
That's what I'm saying. Lowering your gaze = not directly looking at her face = not looking at her.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^ Shrug.

Here in Indonesia, typically Muslims don't interpret it that way. I dunno.

Well, my rule is as long as I try my best, it doesn't really matter either way.

thuway

Last night I had a double chicken zinger with double cheese, 4 donuts, french fries, and about half a KG of Jalebis.

Sogood.gif :D

Kisaya

The pictures of the baklava during Ramadan and Eid are always my fave ;3

I have jury duty tomorrow morning which really is going to make things a bit tough. Otherwise I've been pretty good so far. I'm a bit concerned though that I don't eat as much after I break my fast (although I don't want to overeat/binge either).

artist

Banned
How have the first two fasts been for Muslim-GAF?

Only the first Saher was a bit difficult for me (understandably) as I didnt feel hungry. It's amazing that within one day the biological clock has adjusted such that now I'm hungry during Saher time. :)

I'm already way behind on my goal of one read through of the Quran. Must catchup on those daily targets.
Last night I had a double chicken zinger with double cheese, 4 donuts, french fries, and about half a KG of Jalebis.

Woah dude, not good for you in the long term :p

I love jalebis a lot but I cant eat that much of it in one sitting.

thuway

I'm already way behind on my goal of one read through of the Quran. Must catchup on those daily targets.

Woah dude, not good for you in the long term :p

I love jalebis a lot but I cant eat that much of it in one sitting.
You would be surprised how little 1 lb of Jalebis is. It's actually not as much as you think.

I'll be fine, I do ketogenic diets the maojrity of the week, and on the days I break, I get to pig out. I am like a hawk on my weight :).

Tonight will be the last day to cheat.

How have the first two fasts been for Muslim-GAF?

Only the first Saher was a bit difficult for me (understandably) as I didnt feel hungry. It's amazing that within one day the biological clock has adjusted such that now I'm hungry during Saher time. :)

I still have a slight headache from yesterday's fast. Just got done with suhoor and no matter what I can't seem to drink more than 2 glasses of water :( I think it's me trying to over eat during suhoor (even though it was only 2 rotis) and not leaving enough room for water. Gah.

O_O

Beautiful pictures up on this page.

Anyway, day 3 and my gi system is already completely unhappy with me. I can usually hit more than half way through before my stomach starts to get upset. =/ This year is going to be rough.

user1337

So far so good.

Although 18.5 hours long, it hasnt been that bad at all.

That said, I do work in an office so it isnt very exerting in anyway.

Ashes

Banned
Why are you so shocked? Allah did say:

Translation: "Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do."

In general, it's haraam as agreed by the majority of trusted clerics. The remaining few say it is halaal as long as the female is wearing hijab and only her hands and face are showing, provided no lust is involved.

If the female is not wearing any hijab, then it's haraam to look at her as agreed by all, unless absolutely necessary.

It won't break your fast no matter how hard you look, but you also won't receive the full ajr. As long as you don't reach ejaculation, your fast is still intact.

That's what I'm saying. Lowering your gaze = not directly looking at her face = not looking at her.

I've never met a Muslim who refused to look at woman. Lower your gaze means to either not stare at her tits, or not reducing your look at her as a sexual object. I'm not sure you're reflecting majority opinion there.

The hijab thing could go on all night with either side debating till the cows go home.

I've never met a Muslim who refused to look at woman. Lower your gaze means to either not stare at her tits, or not reducing your look at her as a sexual object. I'm not sure you're reflecting majority opinion there.

The hijab thing could go on all night with either side debating till the cows go home.
Mmmm cows

Azih

Can you look at girls during fasting?

I believe there's a pretty great hadith from the Prophet that goes something like: "The first look is free, but the second will cost you".

Also Despera's "agreed by all" comments are invalid. I've met very few who hold that kind of an extreme interpretation. Just out of curiosity are you Saudi Arabia or Kuwait Despera?

SKINNER!

Banned
First of all, Ramadan Kareem to everyone here and I deeply respect the folk who are fasting 10+ hours in daylight saving zones. Hard mode is certainly on in full effect.

Slighty off-topic but there isn't a Middle East/Arab OT thread so I figured I'd ask here.

Anyone here seen Ibrahim El-Batout's الشتا إللى فات (Winter of Discontent)? Worth checking out? Would love to watch it but knowing international cinema/dvd releases for arabic films it probably won't reach here until 2/3 years. Really enjoyed Yacoubian Building and wished that Egyptian cinema put out more films like it instead of the really dumb/stoner comedy stuff I always see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom