• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall retail screencaps (XB1) show 792p resolution? CBoaT ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedexpeon

Banned
Is it really that bad or was that just the beta? Serious question because I really can#t believe that. The game is really not a looker and the Xbone can't even handle that?

It is that bad.
I hope it is 720P though because there is some screen tearing.
And this is on PC during beta on their highest setting.
Maybe they finalized the code in the last 2-3 weeks....or 1 Day patch like everyone else is doing these days.

I know this isn' the place to ask but I dont want to start a thread.

Can someone list out the countries Xbox One / PS4 are available right now? I know PS4 is almost everywhere, but I cannot find a solid list on where XBO is released.

You should take this elsewhere. This isn't a console war thread.

ringlord

As for the actual news, I still think 792p is a weird resolution. I wonder if a dyed in the wool pixel counter could even tell the difference between that and 720p.

What? A pixel counter can tell the difference of a single pixel. That's kind of the definition of a pixel counter.

Jetlagger

Banned
There are resolutions other than 1280x720, 1600x900, and 1920x1080, and Respawn found that rendering at 1408x792 was the most acceptable compromise between image quality and performance? That seems like a more likely scenario than the developer and its publisher agreeing to base design decisions around spiting an anonymous leaker.

The performance still isn't locked at 60fps, and the image quality isn't going to be 100% better with a 10% increase in resolution, but you may be right that Respawn really did find the lack of a locked 60fps to be the most acceptable compromise for a wholly unique resolution altogether. Maybe they'll be able to get Titanfall 2 to 1536x864, who knows what compromises they're finding over there.

CBOAT just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about leaker culture (I'm an expert), but truthfacts and accountability are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in games journalism where you can become successful by lying to your audience. If you mislead someone as a leaker, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that GAF, after hearing about this, is not going to trust CBOAt's posts again, nor will they give him credit for earlier, correct, leaks. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but CBOAT has alienated an entire forum with this move.

CBOAT, publicly apologize and stop posting anything negative or disparaging about Xbox One or any of its Games or you can kiss your account goodbye.

SteveMcqueen.gif

The salt lol!

Jack Torrance

Neo Member
Shouldn't Cboat's ban begin closer to when the whole "scandal" started? In which case, the 72 hours was up weeks ago...

Welcome back, buttocks! :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You should take this elsewhere. This isn't a console war thread.

What? I am actually just curious in the number of countries they are released in. I am not trying to start anything.

No rational person would want to hang Cboat.

He put his job on the line to give us information. He did us a service. For us to turn around and act like savages...is sad.

A witch hunt for a witch hunt...

If this is how we behave, we aren't worthy.

And I was saying whoosh because you missed the joke. That whole post you had quoted was just an old post edited from this board.

pa22word

Wow can't believe he was banned for that. There are a million different reasons why there might be discrepancies between the information he had and what actually ended up being final, and to ban him for putting his ass on the line is fucking insanity.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds us, ffs...

Did CBoat ever specify the xbox one version? The implication was there, but the 360 version being 720p with the alpha textures would be quite something.

Do we know about that version?

CBOAT was obviously talking about the XB1 version (there was no 360 beta), but I would not be surprised if the 360 version was 720p with the alpha textures.

We know nothing about the 360 version, but it is in good hands (Bluepoint Games; they've done some great ports for Sony).

daman824

72hrs baby. He'll be back with all the juicy details of your precious X1.
Yeah he was punished and banned. Thats why your "you mad?" post was stupid. And my precious x1? I prefer the ps4 mate. Guess I gotta point that out to get console warriors to stop harrasing me huh?

Actually the "your precious x1" part legitimately made me laugh. So congratulations on that.

Chobel

I know this isn' the place to ask but I dont want to start a thread.

Can someone list out the countries Xbox One / PS4 are available right now? I know PS4 is almost everywhere, but I cannot find a solid list on where XBO is released.

Here you go:
...Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

Volcane

Is there that much difference between 720p and 792p to make it worth it. People seem to have been trying to disregard 720p to 1080p.

I hope the framerate is consistent at 792p for Xbox One owners, though it didn't seem to hold up in the beta from comments I've seen - and the beta maps don't look as testing as what other revealed maps look to be.

For Next Gen it seems disappointing graphically.

RedStep

I still don't see how CBoaT was wrong in implying that Titanfall wouldn't be a technical showcase for the Xbox One, much less for next gen.

So he was off by 72p, and maybe lacked confidence in the engine to push higher quality textures by time of release, but at least he kept those issues at the forefront of the discussion, whereas other outlets would have been all too happy to sweep them under the rug as if informing the gamer is no longer the main purpose.

Just because the game isn't 720p, it doesn't make 792p something to celebrate. If all CBoaT had said was that the resolution would be below 900p, he would still have been correct and still would have caused an uproar. If CBoaT didn't say anything about the textures at all, he'd have been unscathed, but at least he made sure we'd be paying attention to it. CBoaT's only mistake was he got too specific.

Honestly, it's like a witch hunt for somebody, who's a boon to the community by sharing those details that may otherwise never leak out, that we would sorely miss.

Uhhh... What? He didn't "imply" anything, he specifically stated at least two things about the same game, both of which were completely false. And then doubled down when confronted.

How is that not wrong? That makes as much sense as me posting "Infamous SS will be 720p". Would that fall under the "keeping attention on resolution" defense as well?

Sublyminal

Neo Member
Man that looks pretty bad, wth. My girl who cares absolutely nothing about graphics even says so. Hope it plays better than it looks.

smik

CBOAT has been pretty consistent in my eyes, 720p to 792p not off by much and has had huge leaks in the past that were actually correct or changed due to company backlash

dont understand the hostility since source leaks and devlopment changes happen alot , also what is going on with those screens in the op, really fugly looking.

TyrantII

A slap on the wrists, good.

Some people wanted him dragged through the streets and crucified :lol

I don't get why people disliked the info he was providing. Facts are good things, cutting through the marketing bullshit is really good if you care about a system as a consumer.

It means MS can't rely marketing fluff and actually needs to find away to add value for their fans.

Synth

Wow can't believe he was banned for that. There are a million different reasons why there might be discrepancies between the information he had and what actually ended up being final, and to ban him for putting his ass on the line is fucking insanity.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds us, ffs...

The thing is though, he claimed this to still be the case whilst the beta was already out showing otherwise. I could understand Respawn considering a drop to 720p to boost fps, but dialling back the textures to 25%? That makes no sense, and I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue that there are "a million different reasons" why this would be the case.

As for the whole topic of bans. I agree that banning someone with a great track record for a few misses would be ridiculous. The problem in this case was that he wasn't leaking information where there was none (which is the usual case). Respawn had already offered the information that the resolution was currently 792p, and that the alpha textures were not final. CBOAT in this instance was saying that the information offered directly by the developer of the game was wrong (or basically, that they were lying). This is different, and not something I've seen other leakers such as Thuway, FamousMortimer and the like ever do. For this reason I feel at least a temporary ban is justified.

sangreal

I'm still confused. By "alpha", did he mean alpha version, or did he mean something transparency related?

the alpha version. when it came out, a lot of people (including myself) didn't think it would improve much so respawn made a statement that the textures were reduced for the test. cboat called BS on that (again, as did many people), but after the beta came out with improved textures he doubled down saying we would get the alpha textures

cripterion

Man..,you guys sure love that insider drama.

On topic : The game looks pretty bad, I can't believe this isn't at least 900p with a solid framerate considering the way it looks. Don't think that will stop it from being successful though.

Sublyminal

Neo Member
Polygon's 10/10 review should be out soon being it was written last May.

Yup, that moneysoft money.

Seriously though, I'm wondering if respawn didn't update the texts and the resolution just to do this to CBOAT. To sort of discredit him.

Seriously though, I'm wondering if respawn didn't update the texts and the resolution just to do this to CBOAT. To sort of discredit him.

I doubt it... It's more likely he was spreading fud to get under the radar as a result from the witch hunt at work.

IE: He was probably told something ridiculous so he spread something equally ridiculous that wasn't what he was told.

Artorias

Banned

I appreciate his leaks as much as the next guy, but is shit like this even worthy of discussion? It's fucking bananas.

Anything is possible of course, but we may as well speculate on if he was abducted by aliens that planted chips in his brain to reduce the resolution of his eyeballs to 720p, thus making him think all games are 720p and no higher. To sort of discredit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom