• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Worst Webcomic You've Ever Read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqorgar

Banned
I don't like to bring it up here, but I know that I have some readers that frequent GAF and on the off chance that they are reading this thread, I just want to let them know that after a five year hiatus, I'm finishing my webcomic, A Modest Destiny. The fourth series is finished and is in the process of being posted. A fifth series will complete the story in the fall.

Wanace

Oh God, Girlz 'N' Games is absolute tripe.

But maybe South Africa didn't get Portal until late 2010 so her joke was new to her.

rpmurphy

Botolf said:
Shredded Moose. So awful that the internet itself swallowed it up. No traces remain, only testimony to how shit it really was.
Bwahahaha I remember that one. Read through all of it once upon a time and holy shit it was just all garbage, despite having art that didn't suck.

Sqorgar

Banned
Gazunta said:
Webcomics are a tough racket to get noticed in, because as correctly pointed out above, there's so much crap out there that even average comics get dragged down in the shit.
It's really not that difficult at all. I had about a thousand readers after two months, twenty thousand readers after a year. I think at its highest point, it was in the top twenty most read webcomics on the internet. Maybe top 25.

There's a lot of tips and techniques you can use to increase readership. You can sign up for voting lists like Top Web Comics. You can update more frequently. You can build a community around your comic. But ultimately, the number one thing you have to do, is put something on the internet worth people's time. Create a good webcomic and the rest will sort itself out.

I haven't seen your comic, but before you start worrying about readers, make sure it is the absolute best thing you have ever created in you life. Then take a long hard look at it, and make it better. Repeat until you can't figure out how to improve it. Then figure that out too. Improve it some more. Than, just to be on the safe side, make it even better. Then worry about being noticed. Because chances are, if you aren't being noticed due to the amount of shit out there, it's because you are just a little too apt at blending in with it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
On the topic of positive webcomics, I think Brawl in the Family helped me realize what I dislike about most webcomics...

It's a very positive, non-cynical comic that actually maintains a level of self-censorship in order to stop itself from relying on vulgarity and shock value, and I really like it for that fact, even if it isn't always funny. I think the problem with a lot of webcomics, and internet humor in general, is that it's too cynical, so Brawl in the Family is a nice change of pace that I find refreshing.

-_-

Banned
Megatokyo

What the hell is going on and how did it become such melodramatic drivel. The forums are brutal

Boogiepop

For what it's worth, since other people are mentioning their own comics, I do have an absolute pile of crap Bleach webcomic that I'm determined to at least push through to completion despite hating it in so many ways by this point :| Won't post it myself, but if anybody's curious it probably wouldn't be hard to track down and mock. (Totally working on something original that's infinitely better and better drawn due to different techniques I'm more used to, but that's neither here nor there.)
Also, I have no problems with people posting their favorite webcomics as well, but that may be better served by a separate thread.

Gazunta

Sqorgar said:
Because chances are, if you aren't being noticed due to the amount of shit out there, it's because you are just a little too apt at blending in with it.
Agreed 100000%. Thanks for the words of advice.

The first two years of it, even though I updated daily and never missed a day, are absolute garbage I did without really caring if it was any good or not. It's only in the last few months I've actually started really worrying about the art and craft underneath it.

And as much as I love (LOVE) Nedroid, I can totally understand people hating on it. Definitely an acquired taste. Every audience has its own tastes as a group. Like for example the folks on various retrogaming forums can't get enough of my stuff, while the Penny Arcade forum guys hate me with a fiery passion that makes GAF's loathing of VGCats look like rainbows and sunshine.

Measley said:
My Webcomic.

Never got around to finishing it... :(
2XAGN.jpg

XRW72.jpg

?

As for least favorite webcomics, it would have to be:

So, You're A Cartoonist?
CAD
Least I Could Do

Gazunta

Oh and I should hate my least favourite webcomics here:

- Any webcomic that doesn't update on time or takes time off every few weeks because GOSH DARN IT I'M JUST SO BUSY WATCHING TV
- Any webcomic that gives up after a few months because they didn't become world famous
- Any webcomic that is about two college students who play video games and talk about video games in their webcomic

SHAZOOM

Gazunta said:
Agreed 100000%. Thanks for the words of advice.

The first two years of it, even though I updated daily and never missed a day, are absolute garbage I did without really caring if it was any good or not. It's only in the last few months I've actually started really worrying about the art and craft underneath it.

And as much as I love (LOVE) Nedroid, I can totally understand people hating on it. Definitely an acquired taste. Every audience has its own tastes as a group. Like for example the folks on various retrogaming forums can't get enough of my stuff, while the Penny Arcade forum guys hate me with a fiery passion that makes GAF's loathing of VGCats look like rainbows and sunshine.

I feel you on that. Folks have different taste, and you can't please everyone. Its been pretty hard trying to do a long form story, but I enjoy doing it.

Also, we're doing this "webcomic networking" deal, yes? I like to know I'm not the only person who sits at home making comics.

Sqorgar

Banned
Gazunta said:
while the Penny Arcade forum guys hate me with a fiery passion that makes GAF's loathing of VGCats look like rainbows and sunshine.
Stay the hell away from the Penny Arcade forums. They will never like your webcomic. They don't like any webcomics. They don't even like Penny Arcade, really. Just a group of bored, angry people egging each other on to be more horrible than the next.

KevinCow

Banned
Cyanide & Happiness isn't worse than most of the comic posted in here, but it's one of the worst webcomics that people consider good.

"LOL he said something offensive, like CANCER or AIDS or RAPE!!! That's so funny!!!"

bluemax

Banned
I can't even remember the name of the worst one I read, but it was years ago and featured in bred hicks and really bad art.

Sqorgar said:
Stay the hell away from the Penny Arcade forums. They will never like your webcomic. They don't like any webcomics. They don't even like Penny Arcade, really. Just a group of bored, angry people egging each other on to be more horrible than the next.

As a PAer at heart what you say is very wrong. But, the artist forum is there for Art and improving art. If you just want asspats then you're going to the wrong place. It is, however, a very rewarding community to belong to assuming you actually want to improve your comic.

Gazunta

Oh, I don't post in there - I just see their webcomics threads in my traffic logs now and then. I'm sure if I did I would get some decent feedback. They seem like good folk who just want to read quality comics.

Sqorgar said:

You're that guy that got shat on by PA, right? With the pixel art webcomic (squidi?)? I thought your stuff was pretty good, I was sad to see that happen.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I hate the characters on Questionable Content, I hate the jokes, I hate the storylines, I hate the bullshit indie music talk and hipster garbage. And yet I can't stop reading it, despite completely acknowledging that it's one of the most obnoxious and idiotic web comics ever made.

siddx said:
I hate the characters on Questionable Content, I hate the jokes, I hate the storylines, I hate the bullshit indie music talk and hipster garbage. And yet I can't stop reading it, despite completely acknowledging that it's one of the most obnoxious and idiotic web comics ever made.

I used to really like QC... but this latest arc has done absolutely nothing for me. Usually I at least kinda like the characters but... ugh.

Like you I still read it almost out of obligation.

Night_Trekker said:
No idea what the hell this comic is about, but the art isn't terrible at least.

Do I have AIDS now? :(

Yeah, it looked kind of like Archie to me.

Edit: Guess someone else thought the same thing.

Sqorgar

Banned
Jarmel said:
Sluggy Freelance

I read it everyday
Is that thing still running? It had like 900 comics when I stopped reading it, and that was like 10 years ago. Still, it was hugely influential to me up until the point it started to repeat all its storylines and started to get stupid.

Jarmel

Banned
Sqorgar said:
Is that thing still running? It had like 900 comics when I stopped reading it, and that was like 10 years ago. Still, it was hugely influential to me up until the point it started to repeat all its storylines and started to get stupid.

Yep.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Night_Trekker said:
No idea what the hell this comic is about, but the art isn't terrible at least.

Do I have AIDS now? :(

the artwork is nice, but All of the characters that arent the main character are horrible people. from the bi roomate that cockblocks him from sleeping with the other roommate so she can, to the multiple people trying to turn him gay for their own means. they might as well call it everyone is having sex but the main character, and cockblocking him keeps you alive.

Jarmel said:
Sluggy Freelance

I read it everyday

Sluggy Freelance was awesome until ~2006 or so. Whenever he started just splitting up the cast over and over again. The character interactions were the best part of it and getting rid of those dynamics killed it.

I was going to post one of my favorite webcomics but now sadly the site looks like its down. It was horribly nsfw and offensive for the sole reason of being offensive but I thought it was hilarious. If you really want to find it, its called morning glory and you can still find some of the earlier ones. It uses very bad words and slurs, images, themes etc. just a warning.

Sqorgar said:
Stay the hell away from any webcomic forums. They will never like your webcomic. They don't like any webcomics. They don't even like Penny Arcade, really. Just a group of bored, angry people egging each other on to be more horrible than the next.

Fixed. I am convinced that's the reason for many webcomics either ending or turning rancid.

jaxword

Parallax said:
they might as well call it everyone is having sex but the main character, and cockblocking him keeps you alive.

Oh, so it's actually a religious comic. That makes a lot of sense, actually, given the Archie-ness of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom