• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Worst Webcomic You've Ever Read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlightOfHeaven said:
Man, I used to read so many webcomics... like goddamn.
Same. I'm down to about 5 or 6, now, and most aren't even daily.

I also have a bookmark folder FULL of webcomics I had intention of following but never read more then 3 pages.

Patryn

thebeeks said:
7Sqxf.jpg

...What the hell am I reading?

The scariest part of this for me is that it apparently took three people to create it.

Sqorgar said:
I'm finishing my webcomic, A Modest Destiny. The fourth series is finished and is in the process of being posted. A fifth series will complete the story in the fall.
Great, about time. Now, please just don't go anymore bananas if they steal your art, and everything will be ok.

Sqorgar

Banned
Santerestil said:
Great, about time. Now, please just don't go anymore bananas if they steal your art, and everything will be ok.
Say what you will, but I've since made a lot of money from my comic - money I wouldn't have been able to make if people thought it was a sprite comic. It was an important distinction to make at the time. Now, probably not so much.

I'm sure that the vast majority of your readers knew that your pixel art was original, not ripped sprites a la Bob & George and their 435345 subcomics. And I've never visited PA forums, but my impression was those who trolled were aware of this, and they just went on for enjoying your reaction.

If I can ask you, why are you returning to comics now? Because the spritesheet mania is faded away or else?

Timber

The_Technomancer said:
Also I'm not sure how sad I should find it that the XKCD stick figures are more expressive and alive then the majority of comics characters today, newspaper or web.
uuuaaaanngggh

siddx said:
I hate the characters on Questionable Content, I hate the jokes, I hate the storylines, I hate the bullshit indie music talk and hipster garbage. And yet I can't stop reading it, despite completely acknowledging that it's one of the most obnoxious and idiotic web comics ever made.
I clicked most of the links in this thread and good mother of shit is this bad.
The other terrible comics were at least somewhat entertaining in their shittiness, but this is just tedious. At least you can laugh at VG Cats terribleness.
QC is the anti-funny.

Sqorgar

Banned
Santerestil said:
I'm sure that the vast majority of your readers knew that your pixel art was original, not ripped sprites a la Bob & George and their 435345 subcomics. And I've never visited PA forums, but my impression was those who trolled were aware of this, and they just went on for enjoying your reaction.
Some were, but... Bah. What's done is done and the reasons don't matter anymore. All that needs be saying on the subject, already done been said.

If I can ask you, why are you returning to comics now?
I started selling my webcomic for the iPhone and after being featured by Apple, made a rather tidy sum of money. It was a windfall thing, not likely to be repeated, but my wife thought that I should finish the comic - both to have something more to sell and as a thank you for the support. She gave me some free time to work on it, so I did.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jaxword said:
Yes, it's one of the better-written ones. Just remember that it is NOT a comic about cool badass confrontations and superbattles. It's always about the heroes never ever achieving climaxes or anything worthwhile.

Clevinger seems to be an ok guy, too. I'd read it.
8-Bit theater worked/works because its character driven. That being said, I haven't read it in ages.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
scar tissue said:
holy shit, that is fucking terrible
1277831454037.jpg

well, at least it wasn't aids

i tried to warn you. it fills me with rage whenever i think about it. its fucking rage fuel.

I remember running across one webcomic that was very disturbing. I can't think of its name (which is probably a good thing) but it poked fun at things like pedophilia, incest, torture, and some other taboos.

And what made it even more unsettling was that the art style looked like something you would find in a children's book or some light hearted manga.

Sqorgar

Banned
Atramental said:
I remember running across one webcomic that was very disturbing. I can't think of its name (which is probably a good thing) but it poked fun at things like pedophilia, incest, torture, and some other taboos.
Sexy Losers?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Atramental said:

And what made it even more unsettling was that the art style looked like something you would find in a children's book or some light hearted manga.
Oh, you mean Tomoyo42's Room?

Nasty, nasty stuff. I'm not even going to link to it, Google at your own risk.

Meadows

Banned
Atramental said:

Electric Retard?

I see it's already been mentioned multiple times, but I didn't have to think about it before deciding Boston and Shaun is the correct answer.
Timber said:
350.gif

whoops no sorry it's the best
Totally a guilty pleasure.
352.gif

IrrelevantNotch said:
http://www.menagea3.net/

So bad it'll give you aids
Menage3 is my guilty pleasure web comic.

But Moon over June is just FUCKING TERRIBLE! I'm not even going to link that piece of shit, because :

1. It's NSFW
2. The art will give you eye cancer! My god.....the faces
3. It will make you hate all lesbians! It doesn't matter how pro gay you are, if you read this comic you WILL hate lesbians
4. It shit!

Please Gaf, I beg you, never read Moon over June.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
googleplex said:

But Moon over June is just FUCKING TERRIBLE! I'm not even going to link that piece of shit, because :

1. It's NSFW
2. The art will give you eye cancer! My god.....the faces
3. It will make you hate all lesbians! It doesn't matter how pro gay you are, if you read this comic you WILL hate lesbians
4. It shit!

Please Gaf, I beg you, never read Moon over June.

see. you tilted the thread. i feel rage at ma3, but this monstrosity just makes me sad. the main hates men for dumb reasons. and after the sex crap, i was beyond done. i dont even bring it up.

Parallax said:
see. you tilted the thread. i feel rage at ma3, but this monstrosity just makes me sad. the main hates men for dumb reasons. and after the sex crap, i was beyond done. i dont even bring it up.
I did warn you.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
googleplex said:
This is not true because Gunnerkirggs Court is a web comic and its awesome.
I will not do that thing we do on that other thread when we find out we agree on something, because this is not that kind of thread, but if it was, I totally would, because I totally agree with you.

Chinner

Banned
Einbroch said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sonichu yet. Kinda NSFW at some parts.
how dare you. sonichu is the most original comic idea ever to be created and chris chan's true and honest lovequest to find a boyfriend-free girl and make her into a Sweetheart from the ground-up is excellently expressed.

Moon over June is fucking terrifying. Why are they nonchalantly having conversation whilst one girl is furiously masturbating? Like, she looks bored, not, you know, aroused.

nuke that shit

Thanks to this thread, I actually finished 8-Bit Theater. It only took me an hour, too, I was 200 comics away from the end.

Glad to know he finished it.

Also, I somehow managed to land EXACTLY where I left off 3 years ago. Like, the exact damn comic. Wow. 1224 comics total.

googleplex said:
This is not true because Gunnerkirggs Court is a web comic and its awesome.

Yes.

Chinner said:
how dare you. sonichu is the most original comic idea ever to be created and chris chan's true and honest lovequest to find a boyfriend-free girl and make her into a Sweetheart from the ground-up is excellently expressed.

Also curing the gays with his pure straight blood.

I'm not kidding, someone wrote that into a webcomic unironically.

Sharp

You know what comic was really awesome but I can't remember its name? It was a metacomic about the characters in the comic world leading their own lifestyles... but really well-done. Very philosophical and shit. Had a literal "running gag" and some other stuff. Can't remember what it was called though.

Sqorgar

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Oh god it sickens me to see Diesel Sweeties on that list
I was on a panel with R.Stevens in New York City about six years ago. He's what I picture whenever someone says the word "hipster". (Jeph Jacques was also on the panel. I felt somewhat out of place. Don't know why they asked me along with those two.)

If it makes you feel better, webcomics rarely actually make money themselves. They may get some profits from advertising, but almost universally, the path to financial independence is entirely through merchandise. R.Stevens is most likely supporting himself through his rather sizable online store of hipster-wear. Actually, that probably doesn't make you feel better.

Flynn

HamPster PamPster said:
Minus is terrible
because it was so short :(

Also, Banapple

9405abd38be9a6f421e6f14c75370dc71057005078.png

Some gaffer does these. Certainly not the worst I've ever read. Some are so dumb they turn out pretty funny

This comic is downright tasteful compared to the stuff we've seen in this thread.

Shiv47

Sqorgar said:
If it makes you feel better, webcomics rarely actually make money themselves. They may get some profits from advertising, but almost universally, the path to financial independence is entirely through merchandise. R.Stevens is most likely supporting himself through his rather sizable online store of hipster-wear. Actually, that probably doesn't make you feel better.

That's part of what I found really offputting about Questionable Content (never mind the utter terribleness of it), as it seemed like the strip existed solely to debut ideas he would be putting on a shirt the next week. The strip becomes secondary to the merchandise. If you can create merchandise based off of your strip, go for it, but the vibe I got was that stuff was included solely because it could be spun off.

Einbroch

Banned
Chinner said:
i sry :(

Zekes!

googleplex said:

Same here, and I have no idea why. Like, I know I should hate it, but I some how end up visiting the site every few months and end up reading it until I'm caught up.

SHAZOOM

Sharp said:
You know what comic was really awesome but I can't remember its name? It was a metacomic about the characters in the comic world leading their own lifestyles... but really well-done. Very philosophical and shit. Had a literal "running gag" and some other stuff. Can't remember what it was called though.
Akimbo comics?

It really feels to me like the only webcomic that doesn't make me cringe is Perry Bible Fellowship. Feels kind of fanboyish or something to admit it, but I just can't find anything else that's tolerable. Maybe Vidcons, some of that stuff was pretty clever.

Mudkips

Banned
Nedroid and Dinosaur Comics are great.
VG Cats isn't nearly as bad as GAF says.
PA used to be great, but is now only good, with some great ones once in a while.
Cyanide & Happiness ( explosm.net is usually great, but can be it or miss)
PBF is always excellent, though new ones are a rarity now
Eegra was great, but it's over ( http://www.eegra.com/show/sub/cat/comics/ )
CAD is bad.
Yellow Piss comics are terrible.
XKCD is almost always terrible, is always pandering, and the author is a huge tool.

(The above is NOT a ranking of any sort)

N4Us

Some gaming comic a few years back that had a storyline of a guy catching his cousin using the Rez vibrator. I forgot the name and I don't want to know.

sphagnum said:
Diversity Lane.

6yp6k7.jpg

Oh yeah, this too. Such a shame since I really liked the art style but goddddddddddd

Also anything Mike Miller does:

t5wrY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom