• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Worst Webcomic You've Ever Read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Rooster Teeth Comics aren't that great. It's basically a 50/50 chance that they'll be funny. They should stick to Shorts and RvB.

Nert

Like a few others, this thread got me to think about webcomics that I've enjoyed, and 8-bit theater quickly came to mind. I stopped reading it a long time ago (probably when I was around 14), but I remember absolutely loving the first 300 or so. I was sort of shocked to see that it continued on until just last year; did anyone here stick with it until the end? Would you recommend going back and reading through it in its entirety?

Man, I used to read so many webcomics... like goddamn.

Shit, I remember really enjoying Snafu, if only for the different take on characters I liked at the time. I think I'll leave it be in my memories, though, just like I'll leave Captain Planet in my memories.

jaxword

Nert said:
Like a few others, this thread got me to think about webcomics that I've enjoyed, and 8-bit theater quickly came to mind. I stopped reading it a long time ago (probably when I was around 14), but I remember absolutely loving the first 300 or so. I was sort of shocked to see that it continued on until just last year; did anyone here stick with it until the end? Would you recommend going back and reading through it in its entirety?

Yes, it's one of the better-written ones. Just remember that it is NOT a comic about cool badass confrontations and superbattles. It's always about the heroes never ever achieving climaxes or anything worthwhile.

Clevinger seems to be an ok guy, too. I'd read it.

Triton55

I think Nedroid is funny (sometimes at least), but GAF says I'm wrong so...

wb8kL.png

jgminto

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Thanks to this thread I found a fun web comic series
NSFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh god not Electric Retard.
Although I am new here I'm pretty sure you shouldn't link to that.

Chuckie

What the fuck is up with that Electirc Retard :/

Does the 'artist' merely do it for shock-value? Because there doesn't seem to be any funny and/or punchline.

jgminto

Tence said:
What the fuck is up with that Electirc Retard :/

Does the 'artist' merely do it for shock-value? Because there doesn't seem to be any funny and/or punchline.
Pretty much. Everyone I know who read it also are constantly on 4chan.

mavs

Cohsae said:
Where did John Solomon's 'Your Webcomic is bad and you should feel bad' go? That site was hilarious and it seems to have disappeared.

That site was hilarious, but I didn't need to know webcomics that bad existed. Now my memory of John Solomon has faded but those fucking comics can never be forgotten.

Hato-kun

jgminto said:
Rooster Teeth Comics aren't that great. It's basically a 50/50 chance that they'll be funny. They should stick to Shorts and RvB.
They should stick to shorts that don't rely on many special effects. The first season was easily the best.

The_Technomancer said:
Fair enough. The 3/4 panel format works well for joke comics. More panels usually either work for drama/story strips (which I'm not discussing in this case) or prolonged humor strips, which are much more difficult to do. Its pretty rare that I see someone try to stretch the joke and manage to keep things fresh over eight panels. You have to have a funny idea and be able to approach it from half a dozen different ways, or else you're repetitious, unfunny, or both.

This Nedroid is a great example of how to do that right:

http://nedroid.com/2011/04/secret-origins/

Also:
http://comic.bostonandshaun.com/index.php?date=2006-10-20
*shudder*

2San

Wouldn't it better if we discuss web comics that are actually good rather than stuff that is bad? The problem with webcomics there's no quality checking or road blocks whatsoever. So any person can write webcomics. Hence the vast amount of shit.

I tend to read Korean web comics since they tend to read like actual comics/manga. Never understood the page per week format western webcomics use. Which either destroys the pacing, forces fast amount of text on a page, or are relegated to strictly comedy. There are a handful of (comedy)webcomics that properly work the format though.

BY2K said:
Well, he draws well (and he got waaaay better with time) but why oh why must he stick with crossover/lolicon/incest bullshit!?

I'm happy I didn't see Fanboys being mentioned once. Great stuff.

Yeah, I too thought it was awesome back then. Just the idea of a huge mega crossover that was dark and edgey was just awesome. And yeah he draws well for the most part but I was catching up on recent chapters of the PPGD, and it just drags now. He's adding so many characters on a whim, I don't know what's a cameo and what's a new Mary Sue. It's just a mess. And his his Grim from Down Below has got some creepy incest vibes to it.

And aside from that creepy Kangaroo fetish comic that's already been mentioned (that tripe makes VG Cats seem like a God Tier Masterpiece of Art), I'll have the mention the stuff from CaptainN.net for it's double-fail. Crappy, uninteresting sprite comics with no coherency and a re-imagining of the actual Captain N with some of worst, blandest wannabe Manga art I've seen that's overloaded with Yaoi. It just pisses me off because the idea of a guy stuck in "Video Game land" interacting with VG characters has so much potential for awesome and it's just so woefully bogged down with a bunch of fanwank solely Yaoi fans and not actual fans of the show/related video games.

S. L.

JodyAnthony said:
This one is my favorite :(

Dinosaur comics is the worst that I see posted around regularly, but there are surely plenty more worse ones out there.
pfffft, you can't read Dinosaur comics constantly, but if you are in the mood for it they are pretty great

VGcats is the worst and Nedroid is the most depressing from the ones I run into most of the times.

There are many others that are even worse but I try to pretend they don't exist for the sake of my mental health

For all the artist/writer/director types on the net I wonder why you don't see more amateur/semi-pro flash stuff-- It's like there was Homestar Runner and that's it.

Gazunta

I think if Calvin & Hobbes made it's debut today it could have a hard time finding an audience.

Not because it's bad. It's clear to any sane person that Calvin & Hobbes is one of the best comics to have been made in the last 50 years. But the market for family friendly comics on the web that aren't about video games, web culture, video culture, web games, web webs etc is sadly much smaller than the market for WOW CRAZY WACKY FUCKED UP COMICS.

(see also: Sheldon, which I am a huge fan of, particularly the business sense of it's creator who has turn it into profitable business)

Not that the way the market is right now is a bad thing. I enjoy a lot of surreal / edgy comics. Just making an observation.

Sibylus

Banned
Gazunta said:
I think if Calvin & Hobbes made it's debut today it could have a hard time finding an audience.

Not because it's bad. It's clear to any sane person that Calvin & Hobbes is one of the best comics to have been made in the last 50 years. But the market for family friendly comics on the web that aren't about video games, web culture, video culture, web games, web webs etc is sadly much smaller than the market for WOW CRAZY WACKY FUCKED UP COMICS.

(see also: Sheldon, which I am a huge fan of, particularly the business sense of it's creator who has turn it into profitable business)

Not that the way the market is right now is a bad thing. I enjoy a lot of surreal / edgy comics. Just making an observation.
I'd commit genocide for more comics in the vein of Calvin and Hobbes. Blew through Minus in one sitting yesterday, need moooore :[

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Combichristoffersen said:
Boston & Shaun. Seriously, that shit's beyond awful.
I'll just pop in to leave one more vote for Boston & Shaun. It's not just that it's beyond awful, offensive both to the eyes and the brain. The creator has serious issues and is in real need of psychological help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom