• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Battleground '17 |OT| A Canadian, Bulgarian, and Maharajah walk into a bar...

What were the results?

Sorry, I didn't watch. Fuck staying up until 2am

Aiden English pins Tye Dillinger (under 10 minutes)
New Day win tag titles
Nakamura wins after Corbin kicks his dick
Natalya #1 contender
Owens wins US title after pinning Styles in the slowest manner possible
Cena and America defeat Rusev again because he's dumb and bad
Sami Zayn pins Mike Bennett
Jinder retains after Khali returns to help him

Not watching was the preferable option here, obviously

Tom_Cody

I saw this on Reddit and I thought it was hilarious:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...oilers_i_watched_the_battleground_main_event/

I watched the Battleground Main Event with Hindi commentary and it was a fascinating look into an alternate WWE Universe

When all the alternate language commentators introduced themselves during the broadcast today, I decided to watch the Punjabi Prison match with Hindi commentary because I had a lot of questions about Jinder and his portrayal. When the Zayn-Kanelis match ended, I switched to Hindi and it was just fascinating. Some notes below:
•First thing to make clear, there was literally no question who was the face and who was the heel. Jinder was the all conquering hero and Orton was the evil American
•When Jinder came to the ring, both the commentators ran down his accomplishments and ended with "1.3 Billion people are supporting him, and that will lead him to victory today"
•When Orton came down to the ring, they barely acknowledged his existence instead focusing on "Jinder agreed to face Randy in this match despite knowing he would have no backup. What a display of bravery"
•"India stands with Jinder" was the entire message on commentary
•Even the Hindi commentary could not sell "Jinder has an advantage in the Punjabi Prison Match because he is from Punjab" angle
•Jinder was addressed by the honorific "Jinderji" or "Maharaja Sahab" which is like saying "The esteemed Jinder" or "The respected Maharaja"
•One of the commentators kept saying "Randy Mahal" for some reason before correcting himself every time
•Jinder bravely preventing Orton from exiting the inner cage, but how dare Orton stand in Jinder's way???
•When the Singh Brothers pulled Jinder out, the commentators actively mocked Orton for being stuck in the inner cage
•On that note, why are the Singh Brothers here? Because they want to ensure that only a deserving person is Champion, and Jinder is the only deserving person in this match
•When the Singh Brothers attacked Orton, the commentary first egged them on, and then when Orton turned the tables, it became "What a brave fight by the Singh Brothers who are fighting someone twice their size"
•When Orton got the Kendo stick and Jinder begged, they were besides themselves and said "Jinder shouldn't reduce himself to begging for mercy, he is better than this."
•When the Singh brother was sent through the table and the other one was dispatched by a chair, the commentators said "The Singh Brothers showing us what the word 'loyalty' truly means. They are putting themselves on the line for Jinder"
•When Orton attacked Jinder with the steel chair, the commentators were livid "How dare he use a steel chair, I can understand using a Lathi (indian version of Kendo stick) but a steel chair is going too far, he wants to end the Maharaja's career"
•When The Great Khali came out, I am pretty sure both commentators jizzed in their pants right there. One of them sounded like the football commentators who scream "GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL". That moment alone was worth watching the match in Hindi (I would highly recommend you watch that moment on the Hindi commentary, it is at 3:06:00 and you don't even need to know Hindi to feel the commentator's excitement) ETA: Streamable link of part of the overall ending, but includes Khali's entrance in Hindi:
https://streamable.com/f473u
•They ended it with "This is patriotism. This is what it means to have the back of your brother (brother not in the "They are related" sense). India is proud of its two sons who are standing tall"
From start to finish, this match was just fascinating with Hindi commentary. It is a completely different alternate universe with that commentary. The narrative itself changed to "That evil American Randy Orton will do anything to take away Jinder's title". Will definitely go back and watch previous PPVs with Hindi commentary now to see how they tackle Jinder's matches.

sajj316

Very confused on Natalia being number 1 contender. Tye lost to English? There isn't any other way for Corbin to win other than a kick in the nuts?

The way Cena won annoys the hell out of me. Way to sell the beating by Russev by standing tall and proud like a Marine. Of everyone on the roster .. beating Russev to further bury him from previous loses? Come on.

Too much interference by Singh bros. That much involvement plus Khali just hurts Jinder further. Just pull the damn trigger on making him a top heel .. who wins with and without involvement.

Just gonna stick my head in. Just the tip. Just to see what's going on.

Jinder still champ and Khali came back? Yeah, I'll go away again now and I'll stick my head in at WWE SunshineFest to see how things are going down.

Why in the screaming fuck is Jinder champion when 99% of the roster is a better option? Why is AJ and KO slumming it over the US title?

Ugh.

Jinder still champ and Khali came back? Yeah, I'll go away again now and I'll stick my head in at WWE SunshineFest to see how things are going down.

Why in the screaming fuck is Jinder champion when 99% of the roster is a better option? Why is AJ and KO slumming it over the US title?

Ugh.

make...sense of it...

Has Tye received any push whatsoever since getting on the SD roster? Seems like he's just there to job, and would've been better staying on NXT as a title contender.

Ugh.

"build new stars"
"no not him"

bigkrev

I'm guessing..

Insanity?

You can do that if you are holding this angle off till Summerslam/SD after Summerslam, because Sanity is booked on the Takeover card in a prominent role,
and all the TV leading up to Takeover has already been taped. This isn't a main event level angle like Kevin Owens/John Cena was when he was called up, it makes no sense to mess up NXT to pay off a midcard angle

Man I see people in here getting sensitive about how Owens's went on Renee!

Come on! it was highly entertaining , at least for me, just because she looked legit mad doesn't mean she was, she's an on screen character too.

Miz went at her too and she looked pissed and check her twitter saying the Miz made talkingsmack what is it, so no hate here.

Also Ownes and Dean are good friends IRL too, do you think he be cool with Owens purposely making his Wife feel like shit on live TV?

Also Owens is a heel and a good one at that, this the same dude that made a kid cry over wearing Roman Reigns merchandise.

I'm pretty sure them 2 be laughing with each soon as the show is over.

I think he's great on the TalkingSmack and they keep putting him on so I am not alone.

So I hope they don't go softening him up because people fee hel is too mean to Renee.

The PPV was ass also

Murkas

I honestly like how Indian wrestling fans mark out hard and keep kayfabe.

None of that jaded smark trying to get themselves over crap, they're honestly having the time of their lives when watching WWE.

Syder

The bamboo match was hard to see. They need to not do that ever again.
This lesson could've been learnt in 2006, it should've been learned when they tried again in 2007. The fact that they went back to this poisoned well for a third time is hilarious.

At least Jinder has the distinction of being the first Indian guy to win a Punjabi Prison Match.

DeathyBoy

Banned
make...sense of it...

Jinder is amazing. He's a jacked up chicken shit heel who doesn't want to go toe to toe with anyone and has two little man-boys as bodyguards who take all the bumps for him. He also gets genuine heel heat.

Dude also had the best match on the show. Really solid old school cage match. He's a Hulk Hogan villain thrown into the present day, making sure he doesn't do anything which could get a hint of a pop.

I mean you'll never get five stars from him, but he's not aiming for that. He's the 2017 version of 04 JBL. And the inevitable Nakamura beat down is going to be glorious.

Jinder is amazing. He's a jacked up chicken shit heel who doesn't want to go toe to toe with anyone and has two little man-boys as bodyguards who take all the bumps for him. He also gets genuine heel heat.

Dude also had the best match on the show. Really solid old school cage match. He's a Hulk Hogan villain thrown into the present day, making sure he doesn't do anything which could get a hint of a pop.

I mean you'll never get five stars from him, but he's not aiming for that. He's the 2017 version of 04 JBL. And the inevitable Nakamura beat down is going to be glorious.

He has X-Pac heat, not genuine heel heat.

v6TW0fA.jpg

I saw this on Reddit and I thought it was hilarious:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...oilers_i_watched_the_battleground_main_event/

I watched the Battleground Main Event with Hindi commentary and it was a fascinating look into an alternate WWE Universe

When all the alternate language commentators introduced themselves during the broadcast today, I decided to watch the Punjabi Prison match with Hindi commentary because I had a lot of questions about Jinder and his portrayal. When the Zayn-Kanelis match ended, I switched to Hindi and it was just fascinating. Some notes below:
•First thing to make clear, there was literally no question who was the face and who was the heel. Jinder was the all conquering hero and Orton was the evil American
•When Jinder came to the ring, both the commentators ran down his accomplishments and ended with "1.3 Billion people are supporting him, and that will lead him to victory today"
•When Orton came down to the ring, they barely acknowledged his existence instead focusing on "Jinder agreed to face Randy in this match despite knowing he would have no backup. What a display of bravery"
•"India stands with Jinder" was the entire message on commentary
•Even the Hindi commentary could not sell "Jinder has an advantage in the Punjabi Prison Match because he is from Punjab" angle
•Jinder was addressed by the honorific "Jinderji" or "Maharaja Sahab" which is like saying "The esteemed Jinder" or "The respected Maharaja"
•One of the commentators kept saying "Randy Mahal" for some reason before correcting himself every time
•Jinder bravely preventing Orton from exiting the inner cage, but how dare Orton stand in Jinder's way???
•When the Singh Brothers pulled Jinder out, the commentators actively mocked Orton for being stuck in the inner cage
•On that note, why are the Singh Brothers here? Because they want to ensure that only a deserving person is Champion, and Jinder is the only deserving person in this match
•When the Singh Brothers attacked Orton, the commentary first egged them on, and then when Orton turned the tables, it became "What a brave fight by the Singh Brothers who are fighting someone twice their size"
•When Orton got the Kendo stick and Jinder begged, they were besides themselves and said "Jinder shouldn't reduce himself to begging for mercy, he is better than this."
•When the Singh brother was sent through the table and the other one was dispatched by a chair, the commentators said "The Singh Brothers showing us what the word 'loyalty' truly means. They are putting themselves on the line for Jinder"
•When Orton attacked Jinder with the steel chair, the commentators were livid "How dare he use a steel chair, I can understand using a Lathi (indian version of Kendo stick) but a steel chair is going too far, he wants to end the Maharaja's career"
•When The Great Khali came out, I am pretty sure both commentators jizzed in their pants right there. One of them sounded like the football commentators who scream "GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL". That moment alone was worth watching the match in Hindi (I would highly recommend you watch that moment on the Hindi commentary, it is at 3:06:00 and you don't even need to know Hindi to feel the commentator's excitement) ETA: Streamable link of part of the overall ending, but includes Khali's entrance in Hindi:
https://streamable.com/f473u
•They ended it with "This is patriotism. This is what it means to have the back of your brother (brother not in the "They are related" sense). India is proud of its two sons who are standing tall"
From start to finish, this match was just fascinating with Hindi commentary. It is a completely different alternate universe with that commentary. The narrative itself changed to "That evil American Randy Orton will do anything to take away Jinder's title". Will definitely go back and watch previous PPVs with Hindi commentary now to see how they tackle Jinder's matches.

Thank you for this. My parents are from India and I don't speak Hindi, so I was curious about this. Great stuff.

DeathyBoy

Banned
He has X-Pac heat, not genuine heel heat.

v6TW0fA.jpg

Better that than "oh Kevin Owens, we think you're such a good heel we're not going to bop you at all."

By virtue of the boos he gets, Jinder is going to be seen by Vince as the number one heel in the WWE. Because a heel is meant to be booed. Not get "this is awesome" chants.

Anth0ny

Better that than "oh Kevin Owens, we think you're such a good heel we're not going to bop you at all."

By virtue of the boos he gets, Jinder is going to be seen by Vince as the number one heel in the WWE. Because a heel is meant to be booed. Not get "this is awesome" chants.

A heel is meant to draw money by being so dastardly that people will pay to see him get his ass kicked.

Mayweather is a good heel.

Jinder has people tuning out more than ever before.

A heel is meant to draw money by being so dastardly that people will pay to see him get his ass kicked.

Let's wait and see on this one, because KKKlandy has been dull as dirt since leaving the Wyatt storyline and it's weird (yet fitting in a way) that people are ignoring him.

Nekofrog

Banned

Haven't watched smackdown or raw in weeks because of it. Watched one week a few weeks ago after like 2 months of not watching it and that 1 week was enough to turn me away for at least another couple months. Why would I ever entertain the idea of giving this company any more time or money after that show last night when njpw not only scratches my wrestling itch but scratches it in a way that the wwe can never hope to. Gj Vince McMahon you've pushed me back into lapsed for the wwe

I hope Ruru losing yet another match to Cener, especially this one where his country was mocked, leads to an angle where Bulgaria has turned its collective back on Rusev which leads to an eventual face turn.

make...sense of it...
And they say Season 3 isn't quotable.

I should have just gone to bed after Part 11 rather than tuning in for the end of the flag match and watching the Punjabi prison. Khali returning is the worst possible scenario for bringing the Punjabi prison back.

Best possible scenario I guess was it getting totally destroyed during the match somehow.

JBL also headlined some of the worst PPVs of all time with matches absolutely no one wanted to see, so you are definitely correct that he is the 2017 version of JBL

J-Rzez

Road Dogg on twitter begging people to "get behind him". Just do the right thing and quit already.

He's a creative writer correct? If so, yes, he needs to go. Then again, we'll never get the attitude era back because kids and McDonalds advertising money.

Im trying to find an article I heard on a podcast that who people cancel their subs say their reasons are "Roman Reigns is garbage (his merchandise is also in freefall) and they want the attitude era story back.

orioto

Good Art™
The Renee thing come on...
People are worked so easily. You can clearly see her laugh pretty obviously when he makes that family joke about her having a chant. I'm pretty sure those two are super friend backstage.

Shauni

Has there ever really been a situation like Jinder because where he's pushed as a face in one country while the rest he's a heel? Closest I can think is Bret Hart, but it was always clear he was a heel in the US and face everywhere else within the story. This seems really weird.

T.v

He's a creative writer correct? If so, yes, he needs to go. Then again, we'll never get the attitude era back because kids and McDonalds advertising money.

Im trying to find an article I heard on a podcast that who people cancel their subs say their reasons are "Roman Reigns is garbage (his merchandise is also in freefall) and they want the attitude era story back.

Smackdown was great for a while after the brand split, there is no proof of the reason for this fall in quality but Road Dogg gets mentioned a lot. Though in the end it all comes down to Vince.
I have tolerated, even enjoyed the WWE these last few years, but the level it's stooping to now is frankly ridiculous.

Smackdown was great for a while after the brand split, there is no proof of the reason for this fall in quality but Road Dogg gets mentioned a lot. Though in the end it all comes down to Vince.
I have tolerated, even enjoyed the WWE these last few years, but the level it's stooping to now is frankly ridiculous.

You ain't going anywhere if you're still watching this product

Top Bottom