• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Money in the Bank '17 |OT| It's A New Day!(One) Yes It Is!(H)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
We can all agree that for all the shit this card did wrong, this was amazing:

giphy.gif

UberTag

I'll give the WWE all the credit in the world if they build Styles vs. Nakamura up for Mania and give them time to work their craft on the grandest stage of them all.

Instead I expect they'll give away that match unannounced on an episode of Smackdown broken up by commercials and sandwiched between a segment on "which Smackdown couple is the hottest" featuring Rusev/Lana, Ellsworth/Carmella and Mike/Maria with Breezango acting as judges and a main event featuring Cena punking out the Singh brothers.

Becky attacking Ellsworth would be like Bryan getting HBK in that Yes Lock. Yeah it looked cool while it happened but after the scene it still made us look like shit given the situation that had come to. This actually hurts Ellsworth too because he'll probably forever be a heel in the eyes of females. He just did what he was told.

Okay, I want you to explain this clearly misogynistic bullshit. James is an active wrestler who beat AJ whilst he was champ 3 times. Outside of that him doing what was told wasn't the issue, Becky's already been booked to go over James on multiple occasions, it's established already that she's better than him so her beating him tonight wouldn't have hurt him at all.

So what's your argument? Say, in a situation where James tried to interfere and Becky took him and herself out in a big ladder spot leaving Carmella to climb the ladder to get the case. Where would be the issue?

All WWE PPVs are either A) filler as fuck or B) part-timers hog the spotlight and then bail.

The curse of the Network, and what it's destined to be remembered for

The less you have to pay for something, the less effort they feel they have to provide for something

FyreWulff

You just know they're gonna just fart out the ol' "wait until the storyline ends" bullshit like they did with DB and just undo the entire as if it justifies them in some sick way.

They'll never pay it off, and there's no women vs men matches in WWE so it's 100% guaranteed to never get paid off.

It was creatively the most stupid thing they've done yet, and this is a company that had Flair use her dead brother in an angle.

mreddie

It was my favourite WWE PPV last year.

MITB last year for me only because Dean got his due and a baller AJ-Cena match

The womens match was good but that ending...yeah, I feel Vince called that shit, I would have had Ellsowrth lifting Carmella up on the ladder as a better finish.

Corbin winning, we all called that shit.

With SS likely changing things up, I think Battleground will take the knee as the SD PPV.

Trojan X

Banned
giphy.gif

tumblr_orrxueNLZu1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

This was incredible! I love how Shinsuke and AJ both countered their multi combo attack. It was sick!! This alone made the show worthwhile!

Main Event Wrestlemania. They can easily build this as THE match to watch as how Omega vs Okada built and pulled off TWO incredible bouts. TWO!!! Frigging insane.

UberTag

Main Event Wrestlemania. They can easily build this as THE match to watch as how Omega vs Okada built and pulled off TWO incredible bouts. TWO!!! Frigging insane.
But they're not part-timers. And they'll overshadow Triple H's 30+ minute match of the night and Roman's conation when Brock raises his arm to show how strong he is.

Can't they just get a spot in the ARMBAR instead? Or Nakamura can wrestle Shane!

But they're not part-timers. And they'll overshadow Triple H's 30+ minute match of the night and Roman's conation when Brock raises his arm to show how strong he is.

Can't they just get a spot in the ARMBAR instead? Or Nakamura can wrestle Shane!

There is also the small matter of them not being stars to anybody outside of the hardcore audience still watching, but I know, wrestling should be about how many snowflakes a match will get instead of how much money it'll draw.

Not even getting into the hilarity of a bunch of people wanting a Wrestlemania to be main evented by a 37 year old and 40 year old after always complaining about the WWE never pushing young guys, but as always, it's proof smart fans are the biggest hypocrites - just like the 8 year old wearing a bunch of Cena gear, they just want the people they like to win all the time and the people they don't like to lose all the time.

Babyshams

How many times does he need to be coronated?

Anth0ny

I'll give the WWE all the credit in the world if they build Styles vs. Nakamura up for Mania and give them time to work their craft on the grandest stage of them all.

Instead I expect they'll give away that match unannounced on an episode of Smackdown broken up by commercials and sandwiched between a segment on "which Smackdown couple is the hottest" featuring Rusev/Lana, Ellsworth/Carmella and Mike/Maria with Breezango acting as judges and a main event featuring Cena punking out the Singh brothers.

UberTag gets it.

But that was a great moment. Them moving the ladder to WORK STRONG STYLE. So good.

To be fair, Jesse, wrestling is not going to make a shit-ton of money from casuals anymore because most casuals realized wrestling is at least kind of stupid. WWE has built up Roman for years, now, and is not making anything remotely near peak-Cena money from him (even Dean was drawing better than him at some points, iirc, for whatever reason) despite him pretty consistently delivering in-ring in a way Cena never did this early in his career. They might as well embrace being a company that caters mostly to smarks sooner, rather than later, because they're not going to make big bucks off of their next TV deal with how shitty their ratings are lately.

UberTag

How many times does he need to be coronated?
Roman needs to be coronated infinity times until we finally accept him as the greatest wrestler in history and he retires all of the mainstays from the business. He started with Taker and will continue that streak against Lesnar, The Rock and Cena until he eventually retires himself while putting nobody over and the WWE can finally close up shop.

lol at that Women's MITB finish, holy fuck they're stupid. There were plenty of ways they could've gone with having Carmella win in part thanks to Ellsworth but not like that.

Guessing Charlotte wasn't allowed to do a spot off a ladder.

There is also the small matter of them not being stars to anybody outside of the hardcore audience still watching, but I know, wrestling should be about how many snowflakes a match will get instead of how much money it'll draw.

Not even getting into the hilarity of a bunch of people wanting a Wrestlemania to be main evented by a 37 year old and 40 year old after always complaining about the WWE never pushing young guys, but as always, it's proof smart fans are the biggest hypocrites - just like the 8 year old wearing a bunch of Cena gear, they just want the people they like to win all the time and the people they don't like to lose all the time.

Roman Reigns isn't a star to anyone outside of wrestling either...

Like come on.

ReiGun

Roman Reigns isn't a star to anyone outside of wrestling either...

Like come on.

The only Roman Reigns reference I've seen outside of WWE was on "Adam Ruins Everything." The bit was someone wanted a Rock DVD for Christmas, but got one of his cousin instead. To which they said, "But Roman Reigns sucks!"

So if Roman is known outside WWE, it's could very well be as Rock's less cool cousin. Which isn't exactly the sort of rep that puts butts in seats. :p

I actually liked the PPV. Crowd was hot for most of it. Jinder vs Orton was pretty good. Great finish for the women's MITB, hilarious. Im surprised Ellsworth didn't take a table spot but his feud with Becky continues. Briefcase works great for Carmella and Ellsworth's gimmick.

Nakamura and Styles staring at each other is the reaction Vince always looks for when they put Orton and Cena in the ring in a face off and the crowd is completely silent.

cordy

Banned
Okay, I want you to explain this clearly misogynistic bullshit. James is an active wrestler who beat AJ whilst he was champ 3 times. Outside of that him doing what was told wasn't the issue, Becky's already been booked to go over James on multiple occasions, it's established already that she's better than him so her beating him tonight wouldn't have hurt him at all.

So what's your argument? Say, in a situation where James tried to interfere and Becky took him and herself out in a big ladder spot leaving Carmella to climb the ladder to get the case. Where would be the issue?
Argument? Dawg, what the hell are you talking about lmao? I don't think Becky beating up Ellsworth is a good thing at all, it's why I compared it to Bryan and the HBK situation as that didn't do anything for Bryan. Secondly, where did I say I this wasn't fucked up? In my previous post I straight up said Ellsworth grabbing the briefcase was fucked up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=241189896&highlight=#post241189896

You need to actually relax and actually read posts.

Lazy C&P...

Yeah, I don't have a problem with Ellsworth being involved in the Women's MITB finish... Just not that way and execution that does nothing to transfer heat to Carmella like they should be doing in a manner of people tuning in or buying tickets to see a heel get their comeuppance, it's instead generating "I don't want to follow this anymore" reaction and for good reason, especially with a company with an eroding audience who so wants to draw in the female demo. I would LOVE to know who booked that finish.

At worst it should've borrowed the TLC 2 finish at WM17 with Carmella on Ellsworth's shoulders and her grabbing it. Then allow her to escape as at least a couple women, specifically ones he knocked off the ladder get some immediate pay back.

EDIT: Someone also pointed out the angle with Kane helping Rollins which would've worked too.

The only Roman Reigns reference I've seen outside of WWE was on "Adam Ruins Everything." The bit was someone wanted a Rock DVD for Christmas, but got one of his cousin instead. To which they said, "But Roman Reigns sucks!"

So if Roman is known outside WWE, it's could very well be as Rock's less cool cousin. Which isn't exactly the sort of rep that puts butts in seats. :p

Haha I remember that, I LOL'd when I saw it.

FyreWulff

My fiancée was actually angry at how that ended. A man had to decide the result of the MITB Women's ladder match and she's a casual fan.

She is legit angry.

Every single woman that I know that's a fan of wrestling is just angry at them right now.

This isn't heat.

This isn't "ooo, controversy".

It's shit writing and shitting on your female fans because Vince had to Vince.

ReiGun

Every single woman that I know that's a fan of wrestling is just angry at them right now.

This isn't heat.

This isn't "ooo, controversy".

It's shit writing and shitting on your female fans because Vince had to Vince.

Bu-bu-bu-but "As long as you're reacting." The poor optics be damned. Smarks, industry commentators, and people inside WWE will defend it by saying it "got people talking" and "got heat," as they all continue to operate under the false notion that any publicity is good publicity.

Would not be surprised if for some women (and even some men, to be sure) this was the last night they tune into WWE.

FyreWulff

Bu-bu-bu-but "As long as you're reacting." The poor optics be damned. Smarks, industry commentators, and people inside WWE will defend it by saying it "got people talking" and "got heat," as they all continue to operate under the false notion that any publicity is good publicity.

Would not be surprised if for some women (and even some men, to be sure) this was the last night they tune into WWE.

i cancelled my wwe network sub. fuck 'em.

UberTag

My fiancée was actually angry at how that ended. A man had to decide the result of the MITB Women's ladder match and she's a casual fan.

She is legit angry.
The way to send a message to Vince is to cancel Network subscriptions and to NOT accept invitations for free months.

FyreWulff

And as I pointed out before, it's not gonna get me to tune in to see what happens, because there's no man vs woman matches in WWE. There will never be a conclusion to any male vs female fueds, see also: Steph vs any male wrestlers. I already fucking know there's going to be zero fuck all payoff, Ellsworth's heel character won't get his comeuppance because the female characters can never have a match against him.

If they wanted to do the manager wins the MITB for their client moment, they should have done it with a woman manager. Full stop. That'd be actual reaction and heat.

Top Bottom