• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Money in the Bank '17 |OT| It's A New Day!(One) Yes It Is!(H)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm guessing the reason Ellsworth got the case instead of Carmella was to set up whatever shenanigans that occur on Tuesday.

I'm guessing the reason Ellsworth got the case instead of Carmella was to set up whatever shenanigans that occur on Tuesday.

You can set up Tuesday in other ways than shitting on an entire gender.

...and while I know WWE's female audience does not watch solely for the female matches, they should treat them with a bit more respect as women are the one saving grace right now to stop their ratings tanking even further. Unless something changed recently, the slight increase in adult woman in masking an even bigger fall away in adult men than the weekly rating suggest.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Prior to last night, has a ladder match ever been won by someone not in the match?

Heroman

Banned
You can set up Tuesday in other ways than shitting on an entire gender.

...and while I know WWE's female audience does not watch solely for the female matches, they should treat them with a bit more respect as women are the one saving grace right now to stop their ratings tanking even further. Unless something changed recently, the slight increase in adult woman in masking an even bigger fall away in adult men than the weekly rating suggest.
Women aren't saving WWE ratings from​ tanking.

Trojan X

Banned

A Tuesday plan from the setup of shitting on every women in the dvision and marking the very first women's mitb ladder match as discecrated poop? No. No setup is worth that from a business sense and out of sheer respect. None. They fucked up big and i highly doubt they can recover the women's side without turning their entire show format and booking upside down.

I love how the Ellsworth finish is enraging everyone. That's what a good heel does! That's real heat there! Lol. That was the best part of the PPV. The ladies put on a good match and Ellsworth ruined it. Lol.

Cagey

Banned
A Tuesday plan from the setup of shitting on every women in the dvision and marking the very first women's mitb ladder match as discecrated poop? No. No setup is worth that from a business sense and out of sheer respect. None. They fucked up big and i highly doubt they can recover the women's side without turning their entire show format and booking upside down.
But none of that happened.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whether it was worth doing or not I'm guessing the technicality of Ellsworth taking the case instead of Carmella is part of the storyline. I mean, they made it pretty explicit this was the case in the match with the ref disagreement.

I think some of you are overreacting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I love how the Ellsworth finish is enraging everyone. That's what a good heel does! That's real heat there! Lol. That was the best part of the PPV. The ladies put on a good match and Ellsworth ruined it. Lol.

Exactly right

You're wrong.

It would be good heel heat if people were mad at Carmella and Ellsworth. Nobody is mad at them, they are mad at the booking. That's not good heat, that's shitting the bed.

Cagey

Banned
You're wrong.

It would be good heel heat if people were mad at Carmella and Ellsworth. Nobody is mad at them, they are mad at the booking. That's not good heat, that's shitting the bed.
In the age of the smark, people like to claim they're angry at booking when they're angry at the result and who prevailed.

It sounds like a more intelligent criticism that way.

fhqwhgads

Question, do the people who like the choice think that Charlotte winning all of her matches thanks to Ric Flair interfering last year was a good idea? Even when she used it to win at Wrestlemania of all places?

Hex

Banned
Did Carmella even take any real bumps in that match?
Becky took a ladder slam and multiple ladder shots, Charlotte did the off the top dumbness, Nattie took a couple of ladder shots, Tamina took the ladder bash at least.

In the age of the smark, people like to claim they're angry at booking when they're angry at the result and who prevailed.

No.

Ellsworth is a stupid, one-note character that has run its course.

Carmella is a below-average wrestler that was the least deserving to win out of anyone.

It was a stupid finish that made no sense.

Angry Grimace

You're wrong.

I mean, if you watch it, the intent was to piss people off.

Cagey

Banned
No.

Ellsworth is a stupid, one-note character that has run its course.

Carmella is a below-average wrestler that was the least deserving to win out of anyone.

It was a stupid finish that made no sense.
A heel valet helped a heel wrestler win.

You're upset that the booking made people you dislike win. This is Wrestling 101. Adopting the carny talk doesn't change your criticism.

You're complaining about the result and who prevailed. You're not making some objective critique of storytelling.

gun_haver

wrestling is a kind of insubstantial form of entertainment. it's fake fighting, and given no other elements, only a small audience who actually cares about the craft of the athleticism involved would continue to watch it for more than 20 minutes, because it would get boring.

so obviously they put in promos and characters and all of that - the success of this varies. sometimes you get actual legitimate showmen who help the whole endeavour succeed and seem like more than it is. right now they don't have a single one of those, except john cena, and he's on his way out.

the other trick they have always had is hint just enough at the promise of certain performers who are being held down either in storyline or by management (it's the same thing), but put people who the crowd doesn't like, either by storyline or management (it's the same thing) at the top as much as possible to keep the people watching in the hopes that one day it's gonna 'get good'. WWE knows if that fans actually get what they say they want, they will just stop watching, so you only get a few drops of it a year, just enough to remember what it feels like, but never enough to feel satisfied.

it's a dishonest huckster form of entertainment that sprang from travelling carnivals where everything was a scam. it's also fundamentally right-wing, so it's even ugly on top of all of that. you can paint it any way you want - i know some people do like to watch small indies and enjoy the atheticism kind of like a form of dance that is acceptable to talk about amongst Men - but if you're a WWE fan you're basically being ripped off and hoodwinked.

there might be a way to do wrestling well, and i don't mean boring no storyline good clean fun stuff, but do it actually well and provide big stories and big characters. WWE can't do it, it's run by a family of utter scumbags. if you're in doubt about that, linda mcmahon is a part of the trump administration, and the company has made sacrifices to its programming and finances to make that happen.

You're upset that the booking made people you dislike win. This is Wrestling 101. Adopting the carny talk doesn't change your criticism.

You're complaining about the result and who prevailed. You're not making some objective critique of storytelling.

This would normally be ok if it wasn't the first ever woman's MITB match, plain and simple. It also would not have been that bad if people actually did pay attention to Carmella but she has been coming out to dead silence for months, no one gives a flying fuck about her.

ElRenoRaven

Yes, it pissed them off to the point that they are not going to watch the product anymore. They got that good 2000 era WCW heat.

Yup. Watched WWE since I was a child. I turned it off. It was the straw that broke me. I canceled my sub and honestly I just have no interest to watch the product anymore. I was at least skimming the shows with the DVR. Probably not even gonna bother to do that. There is just too many good alternatives out there.

I have WrestleCircus on twitch. I have AAW, Defy, Bar Wrestling, etc on highspots. I have Shine, Evolve, HOH, FIP, etc on floslam. All of that is more then enough to fill any void and they were to begin with since Wrestlemania.

I always wondered what would happen if someone not in the match was the person who took down the briefcase in MITB.

WWE had to do it the most stupid and insulting way possible I guess.

Stop watching this stuff. Ya'll will live happier lives without this filth.

Guzim

Question, do the people who like the choice think that Charlotte winning all of her matches thanks to Ric Flair interfering last year was a good idea? Even when she used it to win at Wrestlemania of all places?
Don't forget Flair kissing Becky at the Royal Rumble.

mreddie

I always wondered what would happen if someone not in the match was the person who took down the briefcase in MITB.

WWE had to do it the most stupid and insulting way possible I guess.

Stop watching this stuff. Ya'll will live happier lives without this filth.

I got back in with Dean and AJ but I want to leave.

Also, James Ellsworth: Jim Sterling Approved

Objectively, this is a stupid finish:

umhcvzs65pbn9xs9m9be.gif

My casual wrestling fan sister who watches the PPVs with me was fucking livid at the results, but she was pissed at the company, not Carmella or Ellsworth, and she ended up mentally checking out for the rest of the show. You guys can go on about how this is what heels should do, but this isn't making people angry at the heels. It's making people want to stop watching.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I would laugh if they end up making it that Ellsworth has the briefcase and not Carmella; but he can't use it to cash in. Cue hijinks of Carmella trying to "win" the briefcase from Ellsworth in a match, but Becky / Charlotte / etc interfering to cause Ellsworth to keep winning by DQ (by beating the snot out of Ellsworth).

Angry Grimace

Yes, it pissed them off to the point that they are not going to watch the product anymore. They got that good 2000 era WCW heat.

I very much doubt that is the case.

It was supposed to be a bullshit finish.

The reason why they didn't have Carmella just get herself after he cheated is because they were looking for a fuck finish and the match type and Ellsworth don't lend themselves to fuck finishes. Those of you saying they should have changed it to something where Ellsworth distracts the other girls and Carmella herself gets the win don't seem to get it - that isn't the kind of fuck finish they were trying to do. They made it very clear it that you're supposed to question whether she actually won because Ellsworth's not a participant in the match.

UberTag

To some, that was a fingerpoke of doom. That's not a good sign.
It's up to them to deliver the message that the last fingerpoke of doom did.

fingerpoke.gif

How's WCW doing these days, btw?

People need to stop getting outraged by this dogshit product and simply stop watching it.
The WWE has been proving for years just how little it values the emotional investment of its audience.
Please STOP getting emotionally invested in this nonsense.

Cagey

Banned
Objectively, this is a stupid finish:
Heel valet cheated in a nonDQ match to help the heel win.

Makes sense to me. Ellsworth, being mostly useless and eager to please, grabbing the briefcase at that moment made sense to me. We laughed watching it thinking "that little shit!".
My casual wrestling fan sister who watches the PPVs with me was fucking livid at the results, but she was pissed at the company, not Carmella or Ellsworth, and she ended up mentally checking out for the rest of the show. You guys can go on about how this is what heels should do, but this isn't making people angry at the heels. It's making people want to stop watching.
If sound storytelling upset her, that's on her.
Thank god that man was able to get the case and toss it to the helpless woman prone on the floor.

What great heat, not terrible optics at all.
A shame you see it that way.

ElRenoRaven

Thank god that man was able to get the case and toss it to the helpless woman prone on the floor.

What great heat, not terrible optics at all.

Watch the background. People go from clapping and cheering to hands just drop. From excited to dead in less time then it took that case to get tossed down to her.

Kusagari

Have the other women, including the other heels, turn on Carmella and Ellsworth for ruining the historic nature of the match.

Make it Carmellsworth vs. the world while they don't care because in the end Carmella won.

I know they don't want to have a man vs. woman matches but it would be hilarious to see Ellsworth have to defend the briefcase against the other women as punishment for their actions and see Carmella have to struggle to help him this time; since in the end Ellsworth is absolutely inept in the ring.

fhqwhgads

Don't forget Flair kissing Becky at the Royal Rumble.
Exactly! Wasn't that act of sexual harassment great for heel heat and didn't feel sexist or demeaning at all? All publicity is good publicity!

I'm guessing people here are going to start championing Wrestlemania 25's women's battle royal as one of the great heel moments of all time as well.

I would laugh if they end up making it that Ellsworth has the briefcase and not Carmella; but he can't use it to cash in. Cue hijinks of Carmella trying to "win" the briefcase from Ellsworth in a match, but Becky / Charlotte / etc interfering to cause Ellsworth to keep winning by DQ (by beating the snot out of Ellsworth).

This guy gets it. Ellsworth is ridiculous and infuriating. Ridiculous and infuriating things happen around him. People would love it if the ladies beat the hell out of Ellsworth for the next three months.

He's a gimmick poster, there's really no reason to engage.

Oh, I'm being worked eh?

That makes sense.

This guy gets it. Ellsworth is ridiculous and infuriating. Ridiculous and infuriating things happen around him. People would love it if the ladies beat the hell out of Ellsworth for the next three months.

I don't want to see Ellsworth get his comeuppance. I want him off my television because he isn't entertaining in any capacity.

Top Bottom