• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Money in the Bank '17 |OT| It's A New Day!(One) Yes It Is!(H)

Watch the background. People go from clapping and cheering to hands just drop. From excited to dead in less time then it took that case to get tossed down to her.

People were expecting a spot that never came.

Admit it, this PPV was mostly shit with the last match doing the best it can to redeem it. I wasn't even that mad with the results of that match. The rest of the card? Terrible.

Women aren't saving WWE ratings from​ tanking.

Adult women is the one demographic not drastically down. They are significantly down, but not as down as as every other demographics (kids and adult male) which is falling apart. I am not saying adult women is saving WWE, but if WWE want to hit new record lows all they have to do is find a way to alienate that section of their audience (like they have done so with everyone else) - and they could very well be on their way to doing that.

I think if WWE acknowledges uses Ellsworth ruining the historic nature of the match as part of the storyline, especially to put over someone like Becky or Natalya, there is some validity to the approach. If they treat it like any other fuck finish, then yeah, it was just a stupid move.

Edit: Cagey is not a gimmick poster, c'mon. Knock that shit off.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just found out from the Jimquisition of all places, but they really had a dude win the first women's MITB match?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
just found out from the Jimquisition of all places, but they really had a dude win the first women's MITB match?

umhcvzs65pbn9xs9m9be.gif

Draxal

It wasn't like James Ellsworth came in like a Mac Truck and put every woman in their place. He's just Carmella's white Bollywood Boy who is seen as less as of a threat as they are who just cheated to win like Paul Ellering and every valet/manager has done in the last year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think if it was like the 4th Women's MITB match it wouldn't be a big deal.

It's mostly just tone-deaf as fuck and its frankly stupid booking because it makes no sense to book angles for television on a PPV instead of the other way around.

A heel valet helped a heel wrestler win.

You're upset that the booking made people you dislike win. This is Wrestling 101. Adopting the carny talk doesn't change your criticism.

You're complaining about the result and who prevailed. You're not making some objective critique of storytelling.

It was a stupid, disappointing finish that has bad optics and terrible writing; it's uncreative and insulting to fans. Worst of all, these days, nobody cares that it's "a heel manager helping a heel wrestler win," because everybody knows that the wrestlers are following booking direction on how matches are going to finish.

Maybe 25 years ago this would have been a good way to generate heat for Ellsworth or Carmella, but not today, it just generates heat against the writers and bookers.

That said, it's no fingerpoke of doom. Fingerpoke of doom was the culmination of an almost year-long program between the top heel and top babyface in the company, and the two biggest wrestlers in the industry. This was an undercard match. It still sucks, but it's not some turning point for WWE (although, I don't think that WWE can really turn any lower TBH)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, Big Dave Meltzer follow up on Owens' injury in the match, and it turns out he's fine.

Kusagari

It's mostly just tone-deaf as fuck and its frankly stupid booking because it makes no sense to book angles for television on a PPV instead of the other way around.

Because of the network I feel like they see no real difference between booking a lower tier PPV like this similar to a high level Raw or Smackdown.

Draxal

I think I would be more pissed if I didn't know reinforcements to a mediocre division are coming. If they were to botch that reinforcement part, then I would be livid.

Because of the network I feel like they see no real difference between booking a lower tier PPV like this similar to a high level Raw or Smackdown.

Agreed, most of the PPV felt like an episode of RAW or Smackdown to me just slightly higher production value. Things like the Fandango tag team secret opponent just felt like tv-storylines vignettes, not the culmination of feuds... and then that match went over like a fart.

Angry Grimace

I think I would be more pissed if I didn't know reinforcements to a mediocre division are coming. If they were to botch that reinforcement part, then I would be livid.

I think the women's division is fine on SD.

Foggy

When their customers spend $5 apiece for two "ppvs" per month along with all the other network stuff, it changes the dynamic. They probably feel more confident that they can string along the network subscribers and try to get more of them to watch the weekly programming. They're in a really weird place.

Draxal

I think the women's division is fine on SD.

There is no credible heel wrestler on the Smackdown roster, unless they turn Charlotte or Becky.

You wanted a heel to win MITB, so a. to get the belt off Naomi to put into a transitional champ b. protect Becky and Charlotte at the same time c. MITBs are usually held for heels anyway.

The biggest problem with both rosters is that they are just too small. Seven wrestlers for Smackdown is just not enough, when you have Tamina and Lana just being there for now.

Angry Grimace

There is no credible heel wrestler on the Smackdown roster, unless they turn Charlotte or Becky.

You wanted a heel to win MITB, so a. to get the belt off Naomi to put into a transitional champ b. protect Becky and Charlotte at the same time c. MITBs are usually held for heels anyway.

The biggest problem with both rosters is that they are just too small. Seven wrestlers for Smackdown is just not enough, when you have Tamina and Lana just being there for now.

Charlotte isn't going to be a babyface for very long at all. She is their best wrestler on that side, and works far better as a heel than a face.

I think Lana is going to be a per-event wrestler - meaning she'll show up for matches sometimes, but I hardly expect her to be a staple on the shows. She can't work.

The Raw women's division is pretty dire. There's only three people in it who anyone gives a damn about and they just buried the absolute fuck out of one of them.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This guy gets it. Ellsworth is ridiculous and infuriating. Ridiculous and infuriating things happen around him. People would love it if the ladies beat the hell out of Ellsworth for the next three months.

Considering they've let Becky go at Ellsworth already - I think this is actually the plan. I suspect some kind of GM shenanigans and then doing another MitB match at Wrestlemania.

thequestion

That ppv was horrid. The've had Raws and nitros way more interesting. When will wwe return to appealing to the demographic that want to watch wrestling? Either return to targeting teens, 20 something's, and lapsed fans OR try to be more like new Japan with a big fight appeal. That last ppv with okada and the Cleaner was off the charts amazing.

This money in the bank I watched in fast forward and didn't feel like I missed a thing.

Angry Grimace

Considering they've let Becky go at Ellsworth already - I think this is actually the plan. I suspect some kind of GM shenanigans and then doing another MitB match at Wrestlemania.

SummerSlam?

Kusagari

I'd be totally down for them doing another MitB at Summerslam but forcing Ellsworth to be in it instead of Carmella this time.

Draxal

SummerSlam?

I'm expecting

Carmella wins Championship. Becky wins at Summerslam. Either Becky or Charlotte turn (It will be a Gargano/Ciampa thing where the obvious thing is for Ciampa to turn so everybody started to think Gargano was going to turn), at the Rumble.

The Raw women's division is pretty dire. There's only three people in it who anyone gives a damn about and they just buried the absolute fuck out of one of them.

Sad part, is that you could use this to describe Sasha and Bayley.

Syder

I think if WWE acknowledges uses Ellsworth ruining the historic nature of the match as part of the storyline, especially to put over someone like Becky or Natalya, there is some validity to the approach. If they treat it like any other fuck finish, then yeah, it was just a stupid move.
I hope so. Heels ruining historic/mark out moments is a good thing.

Corbin ruining Nakamura's entrance was great, for example.

Angry Grimace

I'm expecting

Carmella wins Championship. Becky wins at Summerslam. Either Becky or Charlotte turn (It will be a Gargano/Ciampa thing where the obvious thing is for Ciampa to turn so everybody started to think Gargano was going to turn), at the Rumble.

Sad part, is that you could use this to describe Sasha and Bayley.

That's because I am describing Sasha and Bayley.

Bayley got buried to the center of the Earth, Sasha Banks still gets reactions, but she's dancing with Rich Swann for some fucking reason. Alexa gets a reaction, but she isn't getting crazy reactions or anything. At some point they need to just put Asuka on one of the rosters.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
SummerSlam?

If Summerslam is going to be Lesnar / Balor and Cena / Reigns, then I think they can save it for WM itself.

I'd be totally down for them doing another MitB at Summerslam but forcing Ellsworth to be in it instead of Carmella this time.

That would actually be hilarious. Mostly because I'd love to see all the women team up and just wreck Ellsworth for ruining this one.

Also, if Ellsworth / Carmella come out and cut a promo talking about how they deliberately ruined the historic nature of MitB and it was their plan - would that make folks feel less bad about the ending?

Also, if Ellsworth / Carmella come out and cut a promo talking about how they deliberately ruined the historic nature of MitB and it was their plan - would that make folks feel less bad about the ending?
I hope they rub it in on Smackdown. I'm tuning in hoping for some fuckery this Tuesday.

ReiGun

Wrestling is hilarious. This is the only thing on TV where pissing off fans so much that they choose to stop watching the product is defended as a positive because it "gets heat."

Angry Grimace

If Summerslam is going to be Lesnar / Balor and Cena / Reigns, then I think they can save it for WM itself.

That would actually be hilarious. Mostly because I'd love to see all the women team up and just wreck Ellsworth for ruining this one.

Dunno how Cena/Reigns would happen - the brands don't fight at SummerSlam - both brands have matches there, but its not like they fight each other. Although I guess Cena is now a "free agent" or whatever.

Wrestling is hilarious. This is the only thing on TV where pissing off fans so much that they choose to stop watching the product is defended as a positive because it "gets heat."

I'll believe people are turning off the product when I see it. Ratings are down, but there's a lot of reasons for that.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah I didnt love the Ellsworth thing, but eh, at least its something noteworthy.

The PPV's are definitely getting diluted. Countout finishes and random Ascension matches are not a great way to get value. Really great main event though.

Pretty much. But then they complain when the only people who want to advertise on the shows are products for idiots

kunonabi

forcing Ellsworth to challenge for the title would be the best way to get back at them. Especially if he ends up getting murdered by someone like Asuka.

I don't know why people are even surprised at the women's MITB result. It's just another example of the WWE being unable to follow through on feel good, big, and/or hot moments. Hell, on the very same PPV we had another wrestler lose in their home town, which wouldn't be an issue as a one off, but has been used consistently for years for cheap heat that just ends up killing the crowd. This company has no storytelling chops, so the only way they get reactions are illogical swerves that leave people confused and/or mad. Keep in mind that the current WWE Champ was hot shotted from jobbber status, and though they're managing to work their way through it, booking like that means the feud suffers early on.

Now this MITB thing can certainly be turned around to create 2 super heels for the division, but was it worth the optics and sacrificing what the match could've meant historically? I don't think so.

The Carmella/Ellsworth thing is TERRIFIC IF they properly follow it up by focusing on the audaciousness of having a man win the inaugural women's MITB match for a woman. There's a wonderful angle and buckets of heel heat to be mined there. It was great. Look how many people it legitimately pissed off. It was really great.

The problem is, next to no one has faith in the WWE to properly follow through on that storyline because, well... look at the state of the product.

Which means it's probably a legitimate reaction to be upset with what happened, since it's very safe to bank on the chance that they won't follow up on that storyline with the nuance and respect it requires, and there's a chance the whole angle was written by a room of tone-deaf writers who didn't even consider a lot of this.

I'm hoping to be surprised though. It could really be a great angle.

I love what they're doing with Ellsworth, especially the part where he says 'DUH' all the time

I was hoping post match they'd announce him as Ms. Money in the Bank, and then Carmela getting mad at him and him being all pathetic, hilarious

Toki767

The problem is that people aren't angry at Ellsworth and Carmella.

They're angry at WWE for booking it.

It might be heat, but it's not the right kind of heat.

It's the kind of heat that makes people want to not watch, not makes people want to watch Ellsworth get beat up. Everyone last night wanted Ellsworth to take a bump off the ladder that just never happened.

Angry Grimace

I don't know why people are even surprised at the women's MITB result. It's just another example of the WWE being unable to follow through on feel good, big, and/or hot moments. Hell, on the very same PPV we had another wrestler lose in their home town, which wouldn't be an issue as a one off, but has been used consistently for years for cheap heat that just ends up killing the crowd. This company has no storytelling chops, so the only way they get reactions are illogical swerves that leave people confused and/or mad. Keep in mind that the current WWE Champ was hot shotted from jobbber status, and though they're managing to work their way through it, booking like that means the feud suffers early on.

Now this MITB thing can certainly be turned around to create 2 super heels for the division, but was it worth the optics and sacrificing what the match could've meant historically? I don't think so.
Naomi is the only person in the company capable of winning in their hometown.

Marvel

could never
Carmella is awesome, it was a shame they didn't just let her climb the ladder after James' involvement.

Should have held the ladder steady for her instead.

mindatlarge

What are people's thoughts on a potential redo of the woman's MITB ladder match on Smackdown this week or next week?

Seems like WWE would be extremely foolish to let this story line persist without repercussions. Your first ladies MITB match and a dude gets involved? Just don't see this standing.

Top Bottom