• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Hell In A Cell '17 |OT| Here Comes The Money.....There Goes The Money

I'm not accepting "it's like a stupid anime" as good storytelling.

I realise the standards are in the gutter here but the Owens/Zayn feud was the one thing WWE booked absolutely perfectly from 2014 onwards. And now doing this is just stupid. I know most people won't care because it's a swerve but it's really dumb.

That makes it for a more impactful heel turn. Look at Austin/Vince or Bret Owen. When you go heel you put the bullshit behind you because you think going heel will benefit you. They could have easily made Owens face with Sami and probably would have got over as fuck. But they JUST did that with Shield. This is more interesting storyline then a Shield reunion imo.

Just catching up now. Getting shades of a Marvel-esque Civil War if done right (just in that if played right, both sides can claim to be the good guys/victims while everyone plays it grey as opposed to the clear Austin/McMahon shades). I think it could work cause Shane is a face boss, which is kind of oxymoronic.

Would be fun at Survivor Series, though if it's SvR, you can have the Smackdown te disintegrate into a war and that takea us to next year

I mean, I don't really have faith in them to pull it off, but a KO/Sami side, where you can even add Shinsuke who's tired of being screwed while Shane does nothing. Hell, make it even weirder when Daniel Bryan joins KO as a sympathizer ('I know all about your family screwing the little guy, Shane...').

And then Vince comes and ruins it by shaking things up lol

Edit: I mean, evil boss is overdone, but somewhat sympathetic boss? Man, I even want to see an even more polarizing move like KO and them taking a knee during the anthem, and a super sweaty and flustered Shane panicking in the back lllol

Forkball

Current Smackdown face status:

AJ Styles: Could face Mahal or get wrapped up in the KO angle
Roode: In low-card Ziggler hell.
The New Day: I don't see them continuing with the Usos so they could really go anywhere. Some people want them to split, but I think you can keep them as a unit while still having someone like Big E have more of a singles run.
American Alpha 2: Probably the next opponents for the Usos, I think this could be a good program.
Breezango: Barely even wrestlers.
Hype Bros: Even lower than Breezango on the card.
Nakamura: I don't know why anyone should care about him after this Mahal feud. They gave him big wins over Cena and Orton out of nowhere, but that's not enough to give him some momentum. I mean if he won the title today, would people be that excited? He's just kind of there.
Sin Cara: Wikipedia says he is on the Smackdown roster. I trust them.
Tye Dillinger: I think he has potential, and will probably be Corbin's next program. He's been eating pin after pin recently though, he needs to a more stable push.

Mahal/AJ, Corbin/Dillinger, and Usos/Alpha 2 seem like your next logical title programs, but AJ might be wrapped up in the KO thing soon. Smackdown has been cold for months outside of KO. Honestly he needs to be the champion because this Mahal thing is just melting everyone's brains.

That makes it for a more impactful heel turn. Look at Austin/Vince or Bret Owen. When you go heel you put the bullshit behind you because you think going heel will benefit you. They could have easily made Owens face with Sami and probably would have got over as fuck. But they JUST did that with Shield. This is more interesting storyline then a Shield reunion imo.

Austin/Vince was impactful for all of the wrong reasons though.

Hex

Banned

AJ Styles: Could face Mahal or get wrapped up in the KO angle
Roode: In low-card Ziggler hell.
The New Day: I don't see them continuing with the Usos so they could really go anywhere. Some people want them to split, but I think you can keep them as a unit while still having someone like Big E have more of a singles run.
American Alpha 2: Probably the next opponents for the Usos, I think this could be a good program.
Breezango: Barely even wrestlers.
Hype Bros: Even lower than Breezango on the card.
Nakamura: I don't know why anyone should care about him after this Mahal feud. They gave him big wins over Cena and Orton out of nowhere, but that's not enough to give him some momentum. I mean if he won the title today, would people be that excited? He's just kind of there.
Sin Cara: Wikipedia says he is on the Smackdown roster. I trust them.
Tye Dillinger: I think he has potential, and will probably be Corbin's next program. He's been eating pin after pin recently though, he needs to a more stable push.

Mahal/AJ, Corbin/Dillinger, and Usos/Alpha 2 seem like your next logical title programs, but AJ might be wrapped up in the KO thing soon. Smackdown has been cold for months outside of KO. Honestly he needs to be the champion because this Mahal thing is just melting everyone's brains.

Hype Bros will be breaking up and feuding with each other as of Tuesday I would wager.
Tye is due for a heel turn also.

For some reason I am smelling AJ/Orton after the whole rematch mess is overwith.
I do not see the American Alpha 2 thing lasting, I do not think that Benjamin resigned just to be in tag team hell.

I think if anyone from New Day should get a singles run it should be Xavier. His improvement over the past couple of years has been astronomical and I really think he has the potential to be a main event level talent. The only thing going against him is that he's a bit undersized. They're all three great in the ring though so a solo run isn't out of the question for any of them really.

Kofi should probably at least get one main event title run before he hangs them up too honestly, though at this point I'm not sure there's ever going to be an opportunity for it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is this the first time in his career that Sami Zayn has even been involved in a PPV main event outside of NXT??

4itlmZE.png
4itlmZE.png
4itlmZE.png
4itlmZE.png
4itlmZE.png

Looks like Ray Bloody Purchase there.

I will watch a gif of Shane finding a new way to jump off the cell in the morning and that will be WWE intake for the month.

Actually I wonder if they just do the exact same spot as the Undertaker cell match. That seems like the most WWE move

I fucking knew it would be the exact same spot.

Also did Sami really turn it was it more a "I don't want Shane to kill my oldest rival" thing?

orioto

Good Art™
Really, Larry Consca gives 3 stars to the main event.. -_- ?

And the crap i was expecting. "It was just a Shane stunt show" Really ? Did he even watch the match.. There was a lot more to it. Not a fucking word for Owens of course.. It's going to be all about "there was one shane spot and Zayn turn". Sure.. Owens is always the guy who does all the work and get nothing from it.

It was probably too long but the tension and drama was all over it. My only problem with it is how Owens was booked to make Shane look like THE GUY. Having Owens take all the offense at the end and especially not having the balls for the spot Shane would do after was Vince being all "LOOK AT IT! MAH SON IS THE REAL MAN, THOSE WRESTLERS ARE ALL PUSSIES!!!"

And of course the tag hiac match gets all the stars. But if it was great it's going to be overrated, cause actually i wasn't as much into it when it turned into a long and redundant kendo stick show. The first part was more creative.

MC Safety

Dedicated wrestling fans might know this, and so I will ask:

Was Natalya Niedhart's attack the first time in WWE a woman has used a chair as a weapon?

I'm curious because the WWE, until recently, seemed to have rules regarding women's wrestling (Chyna notwithstanding.) There was a woman's hell in the cell match last year, but I don't ever recall a woman using a chair.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dedicated wrestling fans might know this, and so I will ask:

Was Natalya Niedhart's attack the first time in WWE a woman has used a chair as a weapon?

I'm curious because the WWE, until recently, seemed to have rules regarding women's wrestling (Chyna notwithstanding.) There was a woman's hell in the cell match last year, but I don't ever recall a woman using a chair.

That's a good question, and I don't believe so. Maybe way back in the early 2000s, but I blocked the majority of that from my mind. I wouldn't have been surprised if Jacqueline went ham on someone with one, or maybe even Trish.

Marvel

could never
Nakamura has been a complete disappointment in the WWE, I think the only match I genuinely enjoyed since he arrived was his NXT debut against Zayn
100% feel the same way.

And that short fight he had with AJ during MITB was great too. Something just isn't clicking.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nakamura came to WWE to do less and make more, and retire. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Do you believe it's his fault, or the talent around him?

It's Nakamura they are giving him a ton of chances and only really failing at booking him in certain aspects some major miststeps but nothing that would kill a character or a reg guy. Nakamura is just coasting for some reason, maybe because the matches and workrate seem easy to him compared to what he was used to. The guy is having the time of his life though seems like he has the most chill job in the world right now anytime he posts stuff online he's always surfing with James Ellsworth lol

Of the Japanese talent they have

Nakamura - Coasting
Hideo Itami - Always injured and just looks frustrated probably has given up
Tozawa - Has gotten over compared to others and adapted
Kairi Sane - Is really trying, her English is already pretty good she seems to be always training
Asuka - She's doing good we will see how she does in the main roster.

I'm not accepting "it's like a stupid anime" as good storytelling.

I realise the standards are in the gutter here but the Owens/Zayn feud was the one thing WWE booked absolutely perfectly from 2014 onwards. And now doing this is just stupid. I know most people won't care because it's a swerve but it's really dumb.
Personally, I loved the heel turn. The key is the follow-up. To me, it makes senses if done right. To me, I think through all of the fights/wars, KO is Sami's brother/family. Plus, Sami has "seen the light" about Shane kind of thing.

Otherwise, that's the wrestling business for you. It's a carny profession after all. Nothing new:

-Savage/Steamboat tagged together at Survivor Series 87, even though Savage previously tried to end Steamboat's career with the infamous larynx angle.
-Rock N' Sock became one of the most popular makeshift tag-teams in the modern era, even though, among other things, Rock bashed Foley's brains in multiple times with a steel chair in front of his family.
-DX reunited in 2006, even after 4 years of feuding, of which involved Hunter assaulting Shawn to a bloody mess
-Undertaker burned his own little brother Kane, and they later formed a tag-team.

MC Safety

That is cool for him but for the fans.

People should expect some adjustments. The WWE has its own style and it's not always compatible with what other franchises do.

Meanwhile, Nakamura is pretty charismatic and fun to watch. It stinks he's stuck behind Jinder Mahal, but I expect that's only temporary.

Nakamura came to WWE to do less and make more, and retire. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with it, and I have great respect the man for being smart for his body, and getting more money for doing less, but from a fan perspective, Naka's main roster run has been a huge disappointment so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing wrong with it, and I have great respect the man for being smart for his body, and getting more money for doing less, but from a fan perspective, Naka's main roster run has been a huge disappointment so far.

For sure. And I'm sure WWE feels a little jilted as well. Big Match Nak might never show on these shores.

Kusagari

I thought the Nak/Cena match was great.

He hasn't exactly had the best opponents since coming to the main roster. Ziggler, Corbin and Jinder isn't exactly a trio to work with.

I thought the Nak/Cena match was great.

He hasn't exactly had the best opponents since coming to the main roster. Ziggler, Corbin and Jinder isn't exactly a trio to work with.

Yeah seriously. And him being the Artist and doing promos and getting absolutely insulted by Jinder with no redemption all hurts the man

He is over with the crowd, has a lot of views for his debut. People are intrigued, but WWE just doesnt know how to respect the guy

On a roster with Seth, Roman, AJ, Sami, Bray, Harper, Rusev.... all of those would probably work better with Nakamura. I cant imagine the man just suddenly sucks at wrestling.

Yes, but it's more than the opponents. Naka is not really clicking on the main roster.

I will say this. After the Naka match, and now Roode, one thing is for damn sure. They need to stop breaking in new guys with Dolph. It's a turd sandwich every time.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Yes, but it's more than the opponents. Naka is not really clicking on the main roster.

I will say this. After the Naka match, and now Roode, one thing is for damn sure. They need to stop breaking in new guys with Dolph. It's a turd sandwich every time.

Been saying it forever, Ziggler needs to be future endeavored.

Nakamura is capable of doing amazing in the wwe, just look at his debut match. It's a shame he's had nothing like that since and it's been almost 2 years.

CookTrain

I think Nakamura has the same problem as Orton. If he's not into it, everyone knows it.

His main roster matches barring Cena have felt like an exercise in hitting the script in the right places. Do the jiggly choke. Do the "Come onnnn!!", prep for a Kinshasa that whiffs, etc.

Mahonay

Banned
I think Nakamura has the same problem as Orton. If he's not into it, everyone knows it.

His main roster matches barring Cena have felt like an exercise in hitting the script in the right places. Do the jiggly choke. Do the "Come onnnn!!", prep for a Kinshasa that whiffs, etc.
He's been given the most boring opponents possible and their booking for him has been insultingly bad. I'd mail it in too.

CookTrain

He's been given the most boring opponents possible and their booking for him has been insultingly bad. I'd mail it in too.

No doubt about that, but it's not like he hasn't had his on-again-off-again mail-in performances outside of WWE. So long as he turns it on for the big matches, I don't think it's a problem.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

He had the same problem in New Japan though, if his opponent wasn't great he phones it in. He doesn't elevate other wrestlers, he wrestles at the level of his opponent for good or ill.

Mahonay

Banned
No doubt about that, but it's not like he hasn't had his on-again-off-again mail-in performances outside of WWE. So long as he turns it on for the big matches, I don't think it's a problem.

He had the same problem in New Japan though, if his opponent wasn't great he phones it in. He doesn't elevate other wrestlers, he wrestles at the level of his opponent for good or ill.
It's your job as a booker to make match ups that suit wrestlers strengths and hides weaknesses. Yes you can't do that all the time, but that's the main goal.

They are not doing this whatsoever with Nak in WWE, where they just assume anyone can work together and be compelling, and with no real storyline.

And yes, Nak is definitely guilty of phoning it in more than he probably should.

Kusagari

Nak does phone it in, but I don't know if anyone can elevate the people he's been stuck with on the main roster. Because AJ sure couldn't do it.

It's your job as a booker to make match ups that suit wrestlers strengths and hides weaknesses. Yes you can't do that all the time, but that's the main goal.

They are not doing this whatsoever with Nak in WWE, where they just assume anyone can work together and be compelling, and with no real storyline.

And yes, Nak is definitely guilty of phoning it in more than he probably should.
Brother, there's not bookers anymore. That's old school Southern rasslin.

WWE has writers now. Army of them... and most of them suck at their job.

Top Bottom