• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS' 'Supergirl' casting for Superman. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/cbss-supergirl-seeks-its-superman

According to TV Line, CBS's "Supergirl" is seeking its very own Superman.

On ProjectCasting.com, the casting report calls for someone who is "5-foot-11 or taller," "square-jawed" and has "a ripped physique" to play the body double for "a DC Comic Superhero." All interested parties must e-mail their application with "Superman" as the subject, seemingly removing any ambiguity.

Though his existence is hinted at in the show's official synopsis, this is the first confirmation that he will be seen -- in some form -- in the pilot, though the listing for a "body double" implies that it will likely not be a full-fledged appearance.

The existing cast includes Melissa Benoist as Supergirl, Mehcad Brooks as Jimmy Olsen, Laura Benanti as Alura Zor-El and Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant.

Superman is portrayed by Henry Cavill in the 2013 Warner Bros. film "Man of Steel" and the upcoming "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

I hope he gets shot in the face with a kryptonite bullet it in the opening, setting the state for SUPERGIRL.

Slayven

twist is, that is Val Zod

Val-Zod_%28Earth_2%29_002.png

They should have just ignored Superman's existence completely. I'm still going to check it out though, and hope that it ties into the Arrowverse.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still at a loss to why you guys think this is just terrible news? I like that he's around, it makes sense and follows the books. I just see this as the Supergirl comics, but it TV form. Follows her story and Clark can cameo if they ever really want to show him (which from the sound of the casting call, it doesn't seem like a major part).

Skux

Hmm... having another super powered Kryptonian in the pilot would open up a whole bunch of potential plot holes.

If Kara and Kal-El both fall to Earth at the same time and lose each other, that could work.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think this show is gonna suck, too much medling from CBS. I bet they forced this on Berlanti and co.

Busty

Banned
I feel like context is everything here. They aren't casting an actual speaking role so for all we know it's an explanation how Supergirl fits into the DC mythology and how this interpretation does without Superman.

Didn't the short lived Birds Of Prey series have stand ins for Keaton's Batman explaining the concept of the series but never to be seen again?

Ideally this series will exist in a bubble where the only Kryptonian is Supergirl but we shall see.

Sounds more than fine to me, especially since it will likely be a non-speaking role for the very beginning of the pilot in which there is just some cheesy narration about the world. Also lol at the inevitable severe allergic reactions to Superman.

Loxley

I highly doubt this is going to be some major role with a lot of lines. It almost sounds like he's only going to be shown in small glimpses (from behind, or with his face slightly obscured). Sort of what they did with Batman in that Birds of Prey TV show. He shows up in the pilot briefly, and then is only used in fleetingly (if at all) from that point onward.

Nothing to get upset about at the moment.

Thought Supes/Bats was hands off :(.

Marvel family would have been a cooler TV concept. Now this just seems like a superman derivative to pull in some initial views.

Amir0x

Banned
Supergirl is on CBS, and Smallville started on The WB, not sure why you're talking about the CW.

Because we were talking about the Smallville actor coming to this show as a joke, and he started on The WB which is what The CW was called before. I was making a joke that for all CW shows - and WB shows when it was still called that - they seem to get young adults that look way too old for teenage roles and are always pouting. Just look at the cast of Roswell :p I am aware The CW is not CBS, that wasn't the point of my comment.

It's not a very complicated conversation we're having here, not a lot of tendrils ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom