• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cecil the lion's brother, Jericho, is alive and well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

Update #2:

(Via Chicago Sun Times)

HARARE, Zimbabwe — After conflicting reports earlier in the day that the brother of Cecil the lion had been killed, the Zimbabwe National Parks & Wildlife Management Authority officially confirmed later Saturday that the lion, named Jericho, is still alive and well in Hwange National Park.

“False information being put out about Jericho – brother to Cecil – being shot today,” the group posted.

“According to Brent Staplekamp at Hwange Lion Research, Jericho was alive and well at 8:30 tonight and moving around Antoinette Estate ( where Cecil was shot) with a female. I can assure you no one is hunting lion on Antoinette after the Cecil incident!! This false information probably stems from a current Parks investigation into another lion shot on a nearby farm on 2nd July. More information to follow.”

Then, about 4 p.m. Chicago time, the Bhejane Trust posted this on Facebook:

“Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management officially confirmed Jericho is still alive and well in Hwange National Park.”

Update #1:

(via Reuters)

HARARE Aug 1 (Reuters) - The brother of Cecil, the lion killed in Zimbabwe by an American hunter last month, is not dead, a researcher monitoring the pride told Reuters, contradicting media reports that Jericho had been killed.

"He looks alive and well to me as far as I can tell," said Brent Stapelkamp, field researcher for the Hwange Lion Research Project which is monitoring the lion with a GPS tag.

A group called the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force posted on its Facebook page that Jericho had been killed at 4 p.m. on Saturday, a report picked up by some Western news media that was rapidly spread on Twitter.

That generated a furious reaction on the social networking site where animal lovers had already been expressing their fury at the killing on July 1 of Cecil, a rare black-maned lion that was a familiar sight at Zimbabwe's Hwange National Park.

Stapelkamp said readings from Jericho's GPS tag indicated he was moving around as usual and appeared to be with a female.

"When I heard that report, I had a look on the computer and his movements look regular. He sent a GPS point from his collar from 8:06 p.m. (1806 GMT). Everything looks fine," Stapelkamp told Reuters.

Original Post:

Cecil the Lion's brother Jericho has been illegally killed by a hunter in Zimbabwe.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/world/cecil-the-lion-brother-jericho-illegally-killed/index.html

The brother of slain Cecil the lion, named Jericho, was killed Saturday in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, a senior park official told CNN.

Jericho was gunned down by a hunter operating illegally, said Johnny Rodrigues, head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force.

Cecil was also killed illegally, provoking an international outrage because he was a protected animal, and Zimbabwe is seeking the extradition of American dentist Walter Palmer on accusations that he and others illegally hunted the lion, authorities said.

Time is also reporting on this.

Cecil the lion’s brother Jericho was killed by poachers on Saturday, the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force has reported on its Facebook page.

“We are absolutely heart broken,” the post reads.

http://time.com/3981234/cecil-lion-brother-jericho-killed/

I can't begin to explain how disgusted and livid I am over this. I want to know what happens to the cubs now that they are both gone.

Qurupeke

What. The. Fuck. I read an article 10 hours ago about how he was protecting Cecil's cubs. This is really atrocious.

entremet

I can't begin to explain how disgusted and livid I am over this. I want to know what happens to the cubs now that they are both gone.

Killed and eaten by other males most likely now.

Male lions are the protector of the offspring in a pride, while lionesses hunt.

Drake

God fucking dammit. I know the government is corrupt as hell over there, but they need to step it up. Do something to protect these animals. FUCK

entremet

Horrible news :(

Are they the only cat species that does this? Seems like it might be related to the population troubles relative to other species.

Not sure.

I've just been learning about this myself out of curiosity since this all went down.

Lions are fascinating socially. They're the most social cat species.

Sanjuro

That family ain't safe

oyqCBGV.gif

Can't believe 24 cubs will now die from this. Someone should do something but the chances are pretty unlikely which makes me all the more upset.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Now that I think about it, we shouldn't be worried about new males moving in and killing the cubs. Poachers are probably already salivating at the prospect of more lions to kill.

dex3108

This is one of the rare times when i approve death sentence. And it should be done publicly on some square or something.

seriously? did they learn nothing? you would think they would wait a little bit before trying something like this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom