• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

Rösti;198611791 said:
Alright, alright, I will provide you a brief elucidation. What the embodiment in the image is representative of I do not know, it may or may not be a prototype related to the project of interest, it may or may not be a final design to the consumer. What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year). I have full trust in my source. These leaks are unfortunate.

I have no intention to troll anyone or cause a commotion. My original post was primarily a way for me to express my thoughts about this. While it is of course nice to have something to discuss in terms of NX, I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties. I have faith in this clarification providing sufficient eligibility.
zmnm4hq.jpg

RAWi

Rösti;198611791 said:
Alright, alright, I will provide you a brief elucidation. What the embodiment in the image is representative of I do not know, it may or may not be a prototype related to the project of interest, it may or may not be a final design to the consumer. What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year). I have full trust in my source. These leaks are unfortunate.

I have no intention to troll anyone or cause a commotion. My original post was primarily a way for me to express my thoughts about this. While it is of course nice to have something to discuss in terms of NX, I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties. I have faith in this clarification providing sufficient eligibility.

"I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties."

Seems like the leak is a prototype indeed, but obviously not the final product. Therefore, the image is not a fake, and the final controller will have those features in some way.

Perhaps added buttons, grips, other stuff, the camera will be moved, etc. Feels like this leaks could just be a controller, specifically made, to showcase the Touchscreen (and/or haptic).

Welp, then it is real, but not the real real real controller xD

ecosse_011172

Rösti;198611791 said:

So some genuine sources aren't happy about leaks like this, you don't like leaks like this.
Is that it?

Well people took his comments as confirmation that it is real when it sounds like he doesn't know if if is really or a good guess. I think that warrants an explanation.

He didn't have to explain himself to those blaming him and accusing him of being a liar. That isn't how we show respect for each other in this community and Rösti is certainly worthy of our respect. He owes us nothing but he shares so much.

Sounds more like it's an early prototype of the hardware, but the unreal demo is BS.

Lets not forget that Nintendo did file a patent for this goofy, un-ergonomic controller design.

This is the same company that brought this to market:

Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

Patents are usually representative as they describe concepts.

Of course I'm mad. I'm dying to hear actual info and see actual confirmed hardware instead of leaks and speculation. It's becoming painful.
While I wouldn't expect news in March with mobile launching, MyNintendo, and a fairly big line up, they really need to hurry up an announce it in April or at least give us a date for the announcement.
If April passes without a mention I'll consider the reveal poorly handled.

ZOONAMI

"I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties."

Seems like the leak is a prototype indeed, but obviously not the final product. Therefore, the image is not a fake, and the final controller will have those features in some way.

Perhaps added buttons, grips, other stuff, the camera will be moved, etc. Feels like this leaks could just be a controller, specifically made, to showcase the Touchscreen (and/or haptic).

He said it may or may not be a prototype, which leaves it completely open to being an utter billshit fake.

Arkeband

Banned

Aka, "This was the controller we all decided was a piece of shit, and now the whole internet thinks we have no idea what we're doing"

Z3M0G

The only fundamental difference I can think of would be literally moving the button placement. I definitely don't think it would be worth it for the cost and other things about the design I don't like, but that is something. Otherwise, it's just a fancy version of button remapping.

Moving the button placement would definitely be a big part of it. I agree that it feels like the feature may not be worth the cost and effort... especially since the gaming world did not go mobile as everyone was fearing 5 years ago... since this thing feels to be a more mobile-friendly platform. People weren't excited to create button layouts on their mobile games, they had to do it because they had no choice and they were hardly ever fun to play.

There is potential for greatness here... but I don't think it'll make 3rd party devs want to jump on board... nobody will feel they NEED to develop for this thing simply because of what it does... which in the end would indeed make it a pretty bad idea overall. No matter how "neat" it is.

Playing Vita games, however, I didn't mind it when additional "buttons" were placed on the edges of the screen. To throw grenades, or whatever. I found that to be a really awesome feature. So this really could work IMO...

neto

Looks like a fake screen with a light behind it.
Exactly this, look at the edges of the "screen" they look darker, why? That is the area where the top is pasted or united with the rest of the shell, it can't be just floating, the inside light can't reach there
A real screen wouldn't have problems with this

He didn't have to explain himself to those blaming him and accusing him of being a liar. That isn't how we show respect for each other in this community and Rösti is certainly worthy of our respect. He owes us nothing but he shares so much.
While no one should be hostile, if someone isn't positive about something they should know not to tease it especially with easily decipherable code which leads to people being more suspicious than if they posted it as is

so either:

1. "It's unfortunate that the real controller got leaked"

or

2. "It's unfortunate that this piece of shit fake is out there painting peoples impressions of NX and we can't unveil the real thing until a later date"

Interestingly those that believed this to be real from the start viewed Rosti's post as an ambiguous confirmation, while those that believed this was fake from the beginning see his post as him just venting that he can't really say much of anything and that all the crazy rumors are frustrating to those working at Nintendo.

Man, the NX is fun to talk about!

gulma1

Neo Member
Reposting in case people missed it like me

No clue, but I still don't think it's real or fake

Thread would've been locked long ago if that was the case

As of now, no one knows

Ah thanks, I missed it

Maybe he's joking like that mhm (or was it hmh) post or was that someone else?

Samemind

Did Kjell confirm he only scaled and rotated it? If not, can someone else with Photoshop give it a go?
From his post

This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

Quick & dirty perspective overlay ( close enough though ) ...

h1KxzWr.gif

And you can visually see the screenshot is skewed.

While no one should be hostile, if someone isn't positive about something they should know not to tease it especially with easily decipherable code which leads to people being more suspicious than if they posted it as is

He's told us Nintendo's NDA on NX is extremely strict, subtle cryptic messages might be his only way of communicating. He obviously can't give us solid details out right.

georly

Really? After a detective gaffer discovered that it's simply a cropped screen from an existing demo, people are still thinking it could be real?

They're using similar logic to how they proved mario maker's leak fake. There are tons of other possible explanations for why that scene is on the screen, like... the system actually running that tech demo?

Anyone remember the mario maker leak and how it was proved fake because the hand was from another Wii U promo shot?

I'm becoming more and more convinced that what was shown in the picture was a tech demo video being played on the device, not the tech demo itself.

I'm hypothesizing that they were testing the multimedia playback features of the device, hence the video length in seconds (62.72) displayed at the top and the matching frames.

Has anyone actually run/played with the tech demo? Does it have a mode where it just plays through a scene? Or does it require someone to control it? If it has a mode where it plays automatically, like, say a benchmark test, then that could be all this is.

Really? After a detective gaffer discovered that it's simply a cropped screen from an existing demo, people are still thinking it could be real?

I'm becoming more and more convinced that what was shown in the picture was a tech demo video being played on the device, not the tech demo itself.

I'm hypothesizing that they were testing the multimedia playback features of the device, hence the video length in seconds (62.72) displayed at the top and the matching frames.

I could not thing of a more unfortunate username holy shit

Moving the button placement would definitely be a big part of it. I agree that it feels like the feature may not be worth the cost and effort... especially since the gaming world did not go mobile as everyone was fearing 5 years ago... since this thing feels to be a more mobile-friendly platform. People weren't excited to create button layouts on their mobile games, they had to do it because they had no choice and they were hardly ever fun to play.

There is potential for greatness here... but I don't think it'll make 3rd party devs want to jump on board... nobody will feel they NEED to develop for this thing simply because of what it does... which in the end would indeed make it a pretty bad idea overall. No matter how "neat" it is.

Playing Vita games, however, I didn't mind it when additional "buttons" were placed on the edges of the screen. To throw grenades, or whatever. I found that to be a really awesome feature. So this really could work IMO...

I agree here, but of course like mobile games that not only is a part of the game screen but also on a normal size/shaped screen.

-Horizon-

Rösti;198611791 said:

:eek:

The_Lump

Banned

But the video in question is 64 seconds long...

RAWi

He said it may or may not be a prototype, which leaves it completely open to being an utter billshit fake.

Of course, it may end up being just fake. But, until proven otherwise, we can assume that it could be anything. He will not tell us the full story, that would break his NDA (or whoever he knows NDA). Its just my assumption that this may just be a prototype, to showcase features of the real controller. Could be an old build.

I just hope that there will be more buttons on the final controller .-., unless the haptic feature is sooooo good.

Aka, "This was the controller we all decided was a piece of shit, and now the whole internet thinks we have no idea what we're doing"

And that's exactly what is Rösti talking about (I just can assume XD). Since it's just an unfinished product, and the leak is causing people to think (not everyone) that the controller will be like this (no buttons, etc).

This is fun :D

Schnozberry

Rösti;198611791 said:

I love how carefully vague you are.

Leaks are unfortunate, especially since they can do real damage to the public perception of a product, sometimes permanently, even if the leak doesn't represent anything but one of the many prototypes/ideas that were floating around for the product at a point in time.

Rösti;198611791 said:

This is worse than crazy bullock on a train : is this infirmation or confirmation ?

What I get from the latest post is that leaks or rumors are unfortunate as they cause damage if they are true or not.
Is that about right?
I can agree with that. The Internet to latch on to negative rumors damaging the image of a system even before its reveal

ecosse_011172

I appreciate Rösti's previous great work but don't understand his two posts, they add nothing whatsoever, a complete waste of everyone's time unless I'm being really stupid (not for the first time).

georly

Or he's talking a load of old balls.

Well, considering he has a pretty good reputation so far, why bother to assume he's being a dick this ONE time?
What I get from the latest post is that leaks or rumors are unfortunate as they cause damage if they are true or not.
Is that about right?
I can agree with that. The Internet to latch on to negative rumors damaging the image of a system even before its reveal

Correct. He says SOMEONE high up (somewhere) is upset this this leak exists. Who this person is is not currently known. Could be nintendo, could be third party, who knows. Why they're upset is unknown, also.

Or he's talking a load of old balls.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt. He's done a lot for this community.
I appreciate Rösti's previous great work but don't understand his two posts, they add nothing whatsoever, a complete waste of everyone's time unless I'm being really stupid (not for the first time).

People with insider knowledge cannot talk about NX, Rosti is likely following the NDA hense why he isn't giving any definitive answers.

Peltz

Rösti;198611791 said:

yeah_eddie_murphy.gif

Plum

Well, considering he has a pretty good reputation so far, why bother to assume he's being a dick this ONE time?

Genuine question: what has he leaked/said before that makes him trustworthy? I'm not well versed in this GAF lore unfortunately.

DizzyCrow

If they are so pissed about leaks, show the damn thing and if this image is real they can be sure nobody will try to copy this piece of shit.

Seems to be confirmation to me:

I'm not a fan of semantics, but couldn't you easily interpret that quote as, "My source tells me that isn't a real prototype or a recent prototype, but he/we can't say anything because of NDA's and it's frustrating to have all of these crazy rumors surrounding the NX."

I think so, yes. Also, he (or his source at least) know that this is either real or fake.
His source knows but Rosti doesn't. I imagine a Nintendo (?) employee would be upset either way.
Rosti saying that they don't know if the device is accurate or not (or if it's a prototype) seems to indicate that it's not a confirmation which everyone took the original post to be

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Cool idea. The perspective of the sticks is really throwing me off though.🔎

👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom