• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the "he's entitled to his opinion" bullshit. Like can we agree that its a non-starter as an opinion to be racist? It's not a valid side to take in any argument or debate, its just wrong.

This is the modern political climate, though. Not calling JonTron a nazi, but people now interpret Nazis as just having a difference of opinion.

Teeuwen

Banned
Is what a witch hunt? Hearing someone say some racist shit and saying "boy that is some racist shit, that guy is a racist"? There's a huge difference between throwing him into a lake to see if he floats and acknowledging reality as it has chosen to present itself to us.

Calling someone a racist who is in a position like JonTron, may as well throw him into a lake. Let's be honest, now that he has been labeled that... A LOT of people won't be happy until his career is destroyed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't know but...like I'm not surprised?

I mean I've never really followed his stuff, but it seems like the majority of YouTubers (at least in gaming) seem to eventually implode like this or in a similar fashion. Like I might be pessimistic, but most I assume have some backwards view that they can hide until it ends up coming out in the worst way possible. I guess with YT celebrities and Internet celebrities in general they're always interacting with fans and such, so it's far easier to catch them "slipping up" compared to more general celebrities who tend to have a buffer keeping their darker side safe.

He's like JonTron, there's no actual wish for discussion. He just thinks he found a niche where he can spout his crappy views because people will embrace him. If he just started ranting about the left people would call him crazy but if he can hide behind "look at all the liberals jumping on JonTron! What happened to the tolerant left and promoting engagement??" then he can say how he really feels without reprisal, or so he hopes.

I was gonna give him the benefit of the doubt but naw, you were right. Guy just wants to bang that "liberals are the real inloerant ones" drum.

Sad.

Calling someone a racist who is in a position like JonTron, may as well throw him into a lake. Let's be honest, now that he has been labeled that... A LOT of people won't be happy until his career is destroyed.

Stay away from the water if you can't swim. You wanna get on that dock and talk all that bullshit then you better learn how to tread some motherfucking water.

Mahonay

Banned
This is the modern political climate, though. Not calling JonTron a nazi, but people now interpret Nazis as just having a difference of opinion.
JonTron's ideas look very similar to Neo-Nazism. Maybe next month he'll seal the deal and say something insanely antisemitic.

Mutant

I'm surprised people haven't kept up on Yahtzee (Ben Croshaw). I mean the fedora didn't give it away? :p There might be more examples, but I barely follow him and remembered this stuff. He's not gone white nationalist and alt-right like Jontron has, so far...but he's definitely anti-feminist, anti-social justice, and a bit more conservative.

Not a big fan of diversity:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...Adds-Diversity-to-Its-Game-With-Gender-Choice
"And that made me think about this big sticky issue of diversity in video games...And now I'm trying to think of a game in which the main character being female is inseparable from the plot, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank. The Path, or Beyond Good & Evil, maybe. Or the Tomb Raider remake, but barring that one single act of attempted rape the plot is virtually the same as that of Far Cry 3. Perhaps this confirms the existence of a lack of diversity, but I'm not sure how to fix that. Game developers do remain predominantly male through no fault of their own, and asking them, from a male perspective, to make games about a female perspective, would probably produce something rather disingenuous.

But I digress. Okay then - let's say that every game should let you pick your gender as long as their gender isn't hugely central to the plot. Wait, that sounded weird. Games in which gender doesn't matter should let you choose your gender? If the gender doesn't matter, why should we care? Maybe the game developer just wants a character to be a generic cipher, so they make them a white male, because that's what they themselves are, and it's what generic means to them. To demand diversity for characters that are essentially blank placeholders is to put way more thought into it than the creator did."

" I thought the whole idea of equality was to be able to look beyond what brand of tackle everyone's swinging. Alright, I suppose there's a bit of an elephant in this room, that being the ongoing argument that video games are misogynistic, and the online proponents of such...So I welcome the perspective of those who want to discuss misogyny in video games, and in the interests of discourse, I don't agree with them.

Specifically I don't agree that video games are misogynistic just because there are certain tropes they tend to fall back on a lot. It is true that there are an awful lot of game stories where the protagonist is male and the female character exists either to be rescued or to die and give the protagonist motivation. We'll call that the hero-damsel narrative. I don't think that hero-damsel enforces misogyny. After all, the protagonist, the male, is the one who has it worst. He's the one who has to put himself at pain, and even die, over and over again, in an endless cycle of torment, for the benefit of the women. Yeah, 'damsels in distress' tend to be shallow characters without much agency, but who has less agency than the protagonist? The one that can't so much as lift a finger if the player doesn't press a button telling them to?"

"I do think it's true that games could use more diversity. But when I say that, I mean diversity of ideas, thoughtfulness, and perspectives. And that takes a whole lot more than just numerically equalizing the ham sandwiches to the sausage rolls."

Just not a fan of social justice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZssC5Iw4XrA
"You know, whatever you think is currently the thing ruining video games, be it publishers, misogyny, social justice, Mumm-Ra or lead in the water pipes, it seems to be doing a fucking poor job of it because games have been pretty good lately. Maybe that's the equivalent of saying 'Ooh, it's a bit cold today, so much for global warming'. But I digress."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbNY1qgyuwY#t=1563
"If social justice tries to get up your case, all you need to do is flick V signs and blow an arse brick. Just whatever they say, go *blows raspberries*. At length. Keep doing it...Fuck you social justice for ruining the best day of that guy's life [shirtgate]."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbNY1qgyuwY#t=33m
"I thought feminists were supposed to be about wearing what you like. Suppose that doesn't apply to the MEN, does it? Men's rights for peace. [sarcastic tone] Men are the real victims."

Transphobia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cy0mWziFrI#t=1m45s
ddf235825394351b24164cc4c9d379b5.png

"The gameplay is best described as single-player co-op. And I know that sounds like saying 'I'm not gay, I only suck off pantomime dames', but it is."
"It's hard to sympathise when you have to put spotty mcbumblefuck through the X-ray machine cause his passport says he's a GIRL. And the last precious seconds in the day trickle out as you examine a picture of his hairy balls."
I'm... Not entirely convinced. This seems more like "truth is in the middle" type ignorance than it is alt-right. Has he outright said racist hate speech? Has he promoted white nationalism? Has he harassed transgender people? Has he signal boosted those that do?

L Thammy

So popular people should be exempt from criticism because it might have an effect on their careers?

Okay, I don't think you're going to listen anyway because that's completely ridiculous, but I'm going to clarify because I think it's important. People who have a wide reach or high amount of power should have a whole bunch of people watching them because they have more ability to screw things up for other people due to their position. It's their job to navigate the risk by acting responsibility and doing their jobs well. JonTron obviously is rejecting that because he's an irresponsible person.

EmiPrime

Neo-Nazis and white nationalists like JonTron love the fiction of mass Muslim riots and no-go zones in Europe. They think if they keep repeating this shite it will eventually become accepted fact despite having no evidence of them. Although in JonTron's case I think he's simple enough to genuinely believe it.

RIP the victims of Bowling Greene.

Calcaneus

I kinda laughed when he started to whine about the Confederate flag being attacked but then quickly moved on, maybe because even he could tell how dumb a point he was about to make. Too bad the points he moved on to were just as stupid.

This is what happens when you think you are great at debating just because you've been on the internet for a long time and have witnessed other people smarter than you do it a bunch. I mean I'm terrible at internet arguments too but at least I acknowledge it.

Mahonay

Banned
Hey that sounds pretty good to me.

Sai-kun

Banned

And why do you think he's entitled to stay successful after all the garbage he's spewed?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Jon saying that the justice system doesn't disproportionately punish black people...eesh

He sounds like a 17 year old who grew up with conservative parents and his trying to parrot what he remembers hearing from Fox News and Rush.

JonTron is absolutely disgusting. I used to like him at least in passing during the GameGrumps days, but that was of course before his extreme hateful views bubbled to the surface.

It infuriates and saddens me that people like JonTron have a platform from which to influence young, impressionable minds with vile agendas of hate.

I just want to believe that the good influences in our society amount to a net positive over the bad ones, but with the current US administration lowering the bar for civility and ethics and the emboldening of the bigoted, hateful far right, it's hard to stay hopeful.

Yeoman

Wait, what's wrong with hoping his career is destroyed as a result of this?

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
I was gonna give him the benefit of the doubt but naw, you were right. Guy just wants to bang that "liberals are the real inloerant ones" drum.

Sad.

Stay away from the water if you can't swim. You wanna get on that dock and talk all that bullshit then you better learn how to tread some motherfucking water.

I agree with this. The classic XKCD about what freedom of speech really means always comes to mind in times like these.

Mahonay

Banned
JonTron is absolutely disgusting. I used to like him at least in passing during the GameGrumps days, but that was of course before his extreme hateful views bubbled to the surface.

It infuriates and saddens me that people like JonTron have a platform from which to influence young, impressionable minds with vile agendas of hate.

I just want to believe that the good influences amount to a net positive over the bad ones, but with the current US administration lowering the bar for civility and ethics and the emboldening of the bigoted, hateful far right, it's hard to stay hopeful.
It can get SUPER depressing when shit like this happens every week, but also try to remember a larger percentage of the Americans are absolutely against shit like this. We're in a dark timeline, but we will work our way past it and onto far better things.

Anung

Un Rama
He defended Pewdiepie, no problem. h3h3 hates "SJWs" and feminists. So I could see Ethan Klein defending a white nationalist, too. Because Youtubers gotta stick together, or something.

Don't forget Ethan is the go to Jewish person for "He can't be a Nazi POS because he knows me"

So what do you suggest when someone is being a racist? Just ignore it so they don't potentially get "witch hunted?" How do you raise a complaint, or at least acknowledge that you think it's over the line?

WadeitOut

He defended Pewdiepie, no problem. h3h3 hates "SJWs" and feminists. So I could see Ethan Klein defending a white nationalist, too. Because Youtubers gotta stick together, or something.

I don't know. With PDP I think he passed it off as his shitty sense of humor. JonTron is pretty stone faced when spewing this garbage.

Buckle

I don't care that Jon is insane (kind of becoming numb to crazy right wing rhetoric at this point sadly) but thinking about the all the kids/teens that are influenced by him....thats the thing that gets to me.

Guys like this are going to make sure alot of the bullshit we still deal with today carries on well into tomorrow. Its just so fucking depressing.

PMS341

I just reached the part where he's denying Irish American history and literally drowning out Destiny with smug laughter. Yeah, it's delusion and it's absolutely terrifying.

The laughing is sort of a coping mechanism, and also acts as a delay for gathering thoughts. While he spun it to seem "smug", he was actually just buying time to attempt to formulate a modicum of argument.

It can get SUPER depressing when shit like this happens every week, but also try to remember a larger percentage of the Americans are absolutely against shit like this. We're in a dark timeline, but we will work our way past it and onto far better things.

Thanks man. It's good to hear hopeful, optimistic voices among all the fear and vitriol. I sometimes feel like I no longer have the capacity to self-generate that optimism myself. So I appreciate it.

DJMicLuv

The longer I listen the more I hear Trump. The 'by the way's the way he uses 'Welllll I don't want to get into that' when asked a difficult question or 'I'll have to look into that, I wasn't aware.' It's like he's watched a bellend like Trump succeed and thought 'Well, I can do that!' and just copied his entire schtick. The 'My friend', the constant chuckling, the 'look it up'. Hes fucking ludicrous.

Toxi

Banned
JonTron said I'm diluting the American gene pool.

The guy should be thrown in the figurative lake.

jett

D-Member
I don't care that Jon is an asshole but thinking about the all the kids/teens that are influenced by him....Jesus, just breaks my heart.

Guys like Jontron are going to make sure alot of the bullshit we still deal with today carries on well into tomorrow. Its just so fucking depressing.

That is indeed the worst part of all of this.

I generally wouldn't wish the end of someone's career especially if they carefully built it up over a period of time and displayed the talented knack for doing so.

But when an individual decides it's a good idea to air a deluge of at best, staggeringly ignorant statements straight out of a Klansman's manual, and at worst a series of passionately argued deplorable statements that go a long way to normalising in mainstream political discourse the idea that certain individuals are simply not welcome and whose fucking existence are a detriment to white Americans, damn bloody well one should face the consequences for that, however reaching they are. So no, I am not shedding any tears for what he may face.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Thanks man. It's good to hear hopeful, optimistic voices among all the fear and vitriol. I sometimes feel like I no longer have the capacity to self-generate that optimism myself. So I appreciate it.

I wonder if JonTron worrried about all the people's lives his shitty ideals would ruin if they came to fruition. Did he ever decide to extend empathy to those people who literally have done nothing to him other than existing?

But we suppose to hope he faces zero consequences for hateful shit he actually promotes? Fuck outta here.

Fuchsdh

I regret reading the OP after having lunch. Literally feel like throwing up now.

I do sorta agree here... It would be nice if Native American cultures were protected.

I get their point, but unsurprisingly people focus on their own cultures. It also ignores the fact that there are plenty of minorities within those monolithic continents he mention, who have plenty of issues. It's an argument from ignorance.

Also, I don't think you can really "protect" culture without killing it. It's where I find people arguing against cultural appropriation but for the public domain really weird—you acknowledge the intrinsic value of making work available for reuse and reinterpretation but still want to lock some stuff down from others on the basis of their background.

grim-tales

Freedom of speech means that racists, bigots, and any other horrible people can share their views and opinions.

But that same freedom allows others to criticise those utterances. And if you are going to espouse that kind of thought and speech, you damn well better be prepared to face any consequences - be they financial, social, etc.

I think many of us are surprised these views are coming from both a child of Iranian immigrants, as well as a New Yorker. And as someone who "enjoys" controversy, I am sure Jon knew what the backlash may be.

Agree with all that.
I only listened to a few minutes of the video and felt uncomfortable TBH. Jon wasn't listening to anything the other guy was saying.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Listening to the Destiny interview.

WHAT THE FUCK AT 40:00? Mexicans come here for free handouts so they can turn the USA into Mexico?
And must of them are on welfare and most commit crime.

Something something genes something pool.

It's pretty crazy that this was almost 2 hours of Jontron saying horrible racist shit and he had the audacity to say he's not racist.

Big One

Banned
Jontron seems to be just another part of our modern youth that is influenced by the bowels of sites like chan /pol/ boards and anti-SJW backlash.

G0523

Basically Yahtzee is skeptical of issues that are extremely sensitive right now, and that's enough for some to write him off altogether. On my end I think it's a massive stretch to label him alt-right or bigoted. Most of what he's said that people are showing as red flags take a pretty moderate (if flawed) look at what he's discussing. Those who don't like what he's said in the past are under no obligation to continue supporting him, however, and I personally don't agree with many of his words so I can see where they're coming from.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. It doesn't seem to me that Yahtzee has said anything too crazy, rather that he's just being "edgy" or pushing buttons. It's pretty immature in my opinion but it's relieving that he's not full-blown crazy like JonTron.

I'm... Not entirely convinced. This seems more like "truth is in the middle" type ignorance than it is alt-right. Has he outright said racist hate speech? Has he promoted white nationalism? Has he harassed transgender people? Has he signal boosted those that do?

That's the kind of stuff I was asking about as well. The quotes and links provided were pretty flimsy. Of course, if Yahtzee does go full-blown JonTron, I think that would be crystal clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom