• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This thread will be a place for people showing off progress of raw denim, asking for 'fit' advice and ideally - keeping a nice list of useful websites in the OP.

Brands to check out, by price range:

Sub-$100:
Levi's
Cheap Monday
Uniqlo

$100-200:
APC
Nudie
Naked & Famous

$200++:
Somet
Samurai
Skull
Rag & Bone
Flathead
Imperial
Acne
Earnest Sewn
Levi's Vintage Collection
Dior (Made in Italy)
Dior (Made in Japan)
Iron Heart
Sugar Cane
Real Japan Blues

Not-so-great jeans: (overpriced, low quality denim, prone to rips and tears, most often found with gaudy detailing)
Diesel
True Religion
Abercrombie / Hollister
Lucky Brand

Where to buy:
www.cultizm.com
www.contextclothing.com
www.blueingreensoho.com/ - a personal favorite! check out their shop in NYC!
www.selfedge.com - another great shop! check out their shops in NYC or san francisco!
http://www.shopfarinellis.com/default.aspx - great customer service, make sure you buy their re-usable tote if you plan on shopping there often
;)
www.jean-therapy.com/ - check out their shop in boston!
http://www.superdenim.co.uk/index.asp - UK shop I saw on SUFU, I can't vouch for them

http://www.ssense.com - never shopped here, just stumbled across it
http://blog.leffot.com

Denim care:

If you don't like the idea of high maintenance clothing - don't worry. Wear your jeans as often as you like. If you want more contrast in your fades, wait longer between washes. Wash them with cold water if you want less fading, warmer water will shrink your jeans and fade quicker. Use detergents like Dr Bronners or Woolite.

We'll get to the esoteric stuff in a bit.

Sizing!

Why is this denim so expensive? What makes it special?
Selvage denim (also called selvedge denim) is a type of denim which forms a clean natural edge that does not unravel. It is commonly presented in the unwashed or raw state. Typically, the selvage edges will be located along the out-seam of the pants, making it visible when cuffs are worn. Although selvage denim is not completely synonymous with unwashed denim, the presence of selvage typically implies that the denim used is a higher quality.

The word "selvage" comes from the phrase "self-edge", the natural edge of a roll of fabric. As applied to denim, it means that which is made on old-style shuttle looms. These looms weave fabric with one continuous cross thread (the weft) that is passed back and forth all the way down the length of the bolt. As the weft loops back into the edge of the denim it creates this “self-edge” or Selvage. Selvage is desirable because the edge can’t fray like lower grade denims that have separate wefts which leave an open edge that must be stitched. Shuttle looming is a more time-consuming weaving process that produces denim of a tighter weave resulting in a heavier weight fabric that lasts.

Shuttle looms weave a more narrow piece of fabric, and thus a longer piece of fabric is required to make a pair of jeans (approximately 3 yards). To maximize yield, traditional jean makers use the fabric all the way to the selvage edge. When the cuff is turned up the two selvage edges, where the denim is sewn together, can be seen. The selvage edge is usually stitched with colored thread: green, white, brown, yellow, and red (red is the most common). Fabric mills used these colors to differentiate between fabrics.

Most selvage jeans today are dyed with synthetic indigo, but natural indigo dye is available in smaller niche denim labels such as Evisu. Though they are supposed to have the same chemical makeup, there are more impurities in the natural indigo dye. Loop dying machines feed a rope of cotton yarn through vats of indigo dye and then back out. The dye is allowed to oxidize before the next dip. Multiple dips create a deep dark indigo blue.

In response to increased demand for jeans in the 1950s, American denim manufacturers replaced the old shuttle style looms with modern projectile looms. The new looms produced fabric faster and wider (60-inches or wider), though lighter and less durable. Synthetic dyeing techniques along with post-dye treatments were introduced to control shrink and twist.

There will be no moaning about the costs of these jeans, other than the 'you overpaid, ****.com has those a bit cheaper' or something equally useful. I don't have any mod authority, so you'll have to keep hateful comments to yourself out of the kindness of your heart. If you don't like jeans or clothes, that's all well and fine - there are many other threads in OT that may appeal to your passions.

It has occurred to me that many people will read this text and then post hate in an effort to rile us up. My advice is not to respond to belligerence - we will not convince them of the folly/hypocrisy of their ways. There will be people who will legitimately wonder why jeans cost over $60 and we will be more than happy to explain about 15 oz denim, the look of a 2 year old well worn pair, etc.

Japanese loomed (Selvedge) raw denim = the best shit you can get. I rock Edwins, cheap Mondays, Oki-Ni, Duffer of St.Georges, and some Evisu high grade stuff. But I put some weight on over summer and now they are tight! So for now just cheapo RUBBISH pairs until next year. Look forward to it

Self Edge is another great place to get some really great, really high quality raw denim. Bought quite a few pieces from there and the quality is astounding. Currently wearing a pair of Flathead F310's I purhcased from them.

JavaMava

It always kind of irks me when an OP makes a "no complaining" rule. Not trying to singling you out, just noticed it a few times today.

I would like to purchase pricey jeans but if I do so how will I afford a Playstation 3 Slim or vinyl figures of Princess Reko form Mushihimesama Futari?

But seriously, I am a skinny 6'1, 138lb human with relatively long legs, interesred in buying some nice jeans. Any recommendations?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
_dementia said:
I would like to purchase pricey jeans but if I do so how will I afford a Playstation 3 Slim or vinyl figures of Princess Reko form Mushihimesama Futari?

But seriously, I am a skinny 6'1, 138lb human with relatively long legs, interesred in buying some nice jeans. Any recommendations?

Cheap go for American Apparel Slim Slacks. About 70 or so. More expensive go for some Wrath Arcanes. About 140 or so.

charsace

AlternativeUlster said:
Cheap go for American Apparel Slim Slacks. About 70 or so. More expensive go for some Wrath Arcanes. About 140 or so.
Meh neither is the best jeans in their range. If you are going to spend under a $100 for jeans I would go with Uniqlo, Levi or Cheap mondey. In the 100-150 range I would look at 3sixteen, APC and Naked & Famous first.

Ember128 said:
I would like some $300 jeans, but I would also like a camera lens, or 5 games/normal jeans.
Naked & Famous makes good jeans that run around $110-125 If you don't want to go all out and get a pair of jeans like skulls or samurais. Though if you can get either brand you should. Just don't put that type of money down on a pair of Nudies. I personally wouldn't drop more than $200 on a pair of Nudies.

JavaMava said:
It always kind of irks me when an OP makes a "no complaining" rule. Not trying to singling you out, just noticed it a few times today.

Considering how horribly common it is to go into "official threads" and then just bitch about how other people spend their money, I think it's warranted to politely request to keep that shit out.

On topic: I haven't been able to buy pricey denim for the last few years because, well, frankly I've been broke. But I'm looking to get a couple new pairs of jeans that are ~$100 though--any recommendations on that level? Looking for deep dark blue, appropriate for work when I don't want to wear slacks.

Edit--Just saw some things above that I missed while typing this up. I'll check those out.

jon bones

charsace has already been a great asset to this thread - i've edited his comments into the OP into what will become a full chart of brands to check out by price range. this way everyone can feel welcome even if they don't have the means/will to spend hundreds of dollars to get into the game.

Desperado

I guess I touched on this in the fashion thread, but for sub-$100, I think the Rocco straight leg from Express ($49.50 - 88.00) is a nice pair, and I prefer it to the Levi 514.

Otheradam

Are you going to tell us how to care for expensive denim? Because I actually do want to know how you take care a pair of jeans without washing them and have them not smell after a week or 2.

Cyan

Banned
JavaMava said:
Yeah, well. I think it's insane to spend so much on jeans, but after that thread where some jackass went on and on about how people who claim they don't like Budweiser are all lying, I can sympathize with the OP.

Especially since the last time he tried to talk about jeans, he got massively piled on. So whatever. Keep jeansing it up, OP.

charsace

Desperado said:
I guess I touched on this in the fashion thread, but for sub-$100, I think the Rocco straight leg from Express is a nice pair, and I prefer it to the Levi 514.
Never tried these on. Can't imagine they are better than Uniqlo, Cheap Monday's and Levi's though. Uniqlo I don't own, but I've tried some on and people have said nothing but good things about them.

jon bones You left out Rag & Bone in the 200+ jeans and Naked & Famous in the 100-150 range.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Everything that I'm seeing looks skinny. Is that my only option these days?

Most of the brands in here have straight leg cuts. The models usually size down on their jeans though.

Otheradam said:
Are you going to tell us how to care for expensive denim? Because I actually do want to know how you take care a pair of jeans without washing them and have them not smell after a week or 2.

Denim doesn't tend to hold smells. I've worn Imperials for 6+ months without them smelling, and only washed them because I went to a gig in them and sweated like crazy in them.

If you feel dirty wearing jeans for that long. Fill the bath with hot water and soak them for a couple of hours every couple of months or so. Just soaking them in the bath wont loose much color because there isn't a lot of agitation.

Baby Milo

SnakeswithLasers said:
Everything that I'm seeing looks skinny. Is that my only option these days?
No most of these brands have looser fits

:lol i just cant remember any off the top of my head

jon bones

Otheradam said:

in due time! i took a day off from the office to hang at my parent's home where the internet is... shoddy, to say the least. i am compiling info from various sources, and will update the OP as soon as i can. thanks for showing interest :)

charsace

Blindfutur3 said:
Denim doesn't tend to hold smells. I've worn Imperials for 6+ months without them smelling, and only washed them because I went to a gig in them and sweated like crazy in them.

If you feel dirty wearing jeans for that long. Fill the bath with hot water and soak them for a couple of hours every couple of months or so. Just soaking them in the bath wont loose much color because there isn't a lot of agitation.

I soak them in a bucket and then put them outside to dry. Sometimes it's you have to soak some of these jeans to get rid of excess indigo that will bleed on to clothes. That shit happened to me with my Acnes! Bleed all over my Obey tee and Creative Recreation kicks! :(

I use detergent that will hold the color. Don't use a lot of detergent when washing jeans.

Do not run jeans in the dryer unless you are trying to shrink them.

There are other $100+ brands out there like True Religion, Diesel, etc. Stay away from them. Not only are they ugly, but they are poor quality for the price. My brother loves True Religion and they are some of the ugliest things around.

charsace said:
I soak them in a bucket and then put them outside to dry. Sometimes it's you have to soak some of these jeans to get rid of excess indigo that will bleed on to clothes. That shit happened to me with my Acnes! Bleed all over my Obey tee and Creative Recreation kicks! :(

Yeah, I always soak my jeans when I first get them to get out any excess indigo or starch. Pretty much wash them in the same way too, except I prefer to use the bath :lol

Thinking of picking up some Peppermint Dr Bronners near the end of the year and 'shower washing' them.

Cyan said:
Yeah, well. I think it's insane to spend so much on jeans, but after that thread where some jackass went on and on about how people who claim they don't like Budweiser are all lying, I can sympathize with the OP.

Especially since the last time he tried to talk about jeans, he got massively piled on. So whatever. Keep jeansing it up, OP.
I don't get it either, but we just have to come to expect that people have different interests from us. The girls at my job go crazy about ugly Goochy Bagana purses and ridiculously huge pointless designer shades with the CC on the side but wonder what I see in videogames and cars/car parts.

:lol I have on a $60 pair of jeans I got from Burlington Coat Factory. I have no idea what brand they are. I'm sure I will never pay $300 for a pair of jeans, but maybe I can learn something from this thread anyway.

charsace

Dark Octave said:
I don't get it either, but we just have to come to expect that people have different interests from us. The girls at my job go crazy about ugly Goochy Bagana purses and ridiculously huge pointless designer shades with the CC on the side but wonder what I see in videogames and cars/car parts.

:lol I have on a $60 pair of jeans I got from Burlington Coat Factory. I have no idea what brand they are.
There is a difference in quality between a pair of $60 jeans and a pair of Skulls. Try on a pair of Levi's and then try on some Skulls and you will feel the difference.

charsace said:
There are other $100+ brands out there like True Religion, Diesel, etc. Stay away from them. Not only are they ugly, but they are poor quality for the price. My brother loves True Religion and they are some of the ugliest things around.

I won't comment on the quality of Diesel, because I really haven't "tested' many other brands, but Diesel is in no way ugly.

Polari

What about Rick Owens' DRKSHDW line? He does some great things like grosgrain, really unique washes and distressing.

Currently wearing a Raf Simons pair from the History of the World collection. They're a weird kind of mustard copper overdye on a sort of gunmetal wash. Fucking best jeans ever. I don't think he does denim in the mainline anymore, but some of the Raf by Raf is alright (although the quality kind of blows).

Oh and Dior definitely deserve a mention. Robert Geller's jeans are great too.

VaLiancY

This thread is getting bookmarked. I'm a fan of quality denim but with me out of a job lately, I've been buying a lot more Levis since it fits my budget but I'm still looking for a good fit since I hate excessively bagginess.

Though my legs are fairly long, I'm still a bit on the short side (5'5") and I was wondering what brands would be most appropriate for my height?

I tend to favor straight leg or loose, but some slim cuts I don't really mind.

Thanks!

charsace

Polari said:
What about Rick Owens' DRKSHDW line? He does some great things like grosgrain, really unique washes and distressing.

Currently wearing a Raf Simons pair from the History of the World collection. They're a weird kind of mustard copper overdye on a sort of gunmetal wash. Fucking best jeans ever. I don't think he does denim in the mainline anymore, but some of the Raf by Raf is alright (although the quality kind of blows).

Oh and Dior definitely deserve a mention. Robert Geller's jeans are great too.
Never tried anything from Owens or Raf on so I can't comment. I've tried on a pair of Dior's and like them, but they are really expensive.

Otheradam

Good to know, eventhough I don't have $100+ pair of jeans. I usually just buy Levi's but I don't want it to loose coloring. I'll try soaking them in water!

Most of my jeans run for 150 euro's or more, though I only have 5 pair or so in different fits; loose, baggy, very baggy, depending on my mood. Never wash them by the way. I sometimes hang them out in the bathroom, seems to do the trick pretty well and prevents smelly jeans.

As for Brands, I love Blue Blood, Nudie, Absolut Joy and Denham.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

negitoro7

Did my eyes deceive me or did I really see that Nudies non-selvedge jeans are more expensive than their raw denim? I want a pair of non-selvedge ones from them and just took a quick peek in a store last week.

Ikuu said:
http://www.yoox.com seems to have APC for a decent price, just ordered a pair for £65 (they're like $98 on the US site). Really want a pair of Skulls (http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=240), think I'll get a pair when I'm in much better shape, gives me something to work towards :lol

For Uniqlo do you just order your real size? They've got some Japanese Selvedge on their sale just now.

I want some Skulls 50-10xx 6x6 next, when I'm done with my current jeans. Seen some really nice faded pairs on Hypebeast and Superfuture

Those two sites are a great place to go for help with denim and to get a look at some really worn pairs of denim.

Feep

Banned
I really love my Lucky jeans...$125, but they're unbelievably comfortable. Plus, the inner lining when you unzip the fly says "Lucky You". ^^

Side note: Does anyone else HATE this three-button-instead-of-zipper shit? I can't stand it.

Not really a question about expensive jeans... but I'm asking this because I'm assuming people would know the type of jeans this is

Where could I get cheap jeans ($30, Levis, or whatever) that have this style?

stand-by-me-cast1.jpg

(the person on the right)

I know those pants were in style back then when the movie takes place, but where can I find straight slim leg pants like those now? I want to avoid any more jeans that have part spandex in them to help the tight fit, like any skin tight jeans, like Dog Piles, or the Levi 511 (I don't think they have part spandex in them, but it's not what I'm looking for)

Anyone have any idea? I think Dickies might have a brand of jeans that are straight leg, but can anyone verify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom