• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 getting Necromancer (paid), remaking Diablo 1 in D3, new zones (free)

Azriell

I didn't really care for D3, but if it is actually a faithful remake of D1 and not just D1 environments with D3 characters and skills, I will play that. I doubt this will be the case, however.

Bladenic

Will this also apply to the previous gen versions or just current gen? And can I transfer save data (i.e. PS3 version to PS4) if necessary?

Exciting stuff!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm honestly more intrigued by the D1 thing, but I hope it's a bit more fleshed-out and well thought-out than a rift. Apparently even the gameplay will be more old school, with 4-directional movement like in the olden days.

I think that says a lot about how underwhelming the rest was.

duckroll

Why were people expecting Diablo 4? Or even a full expansion pack? Were there rumours?

It all sounds good to me. More maps are fun and a D1-themed rift sounds coil. Will likely throw in for some necro action as well if it's not too insanely expensive.

I think the main expectation is that people wanted something significantly new for Diablo to be announced. Blizzcon made a big deal this year of the Diablo anniversary, and they've been ramping up recruitment for a new Diablo project. When the Necromancer leaked, people started expecting that maybe it was an expansion instead of Diablo 4, because that would make sense. Diablo always traditionally added classes with expansions, not as individual DLC.

While what they announced is no doubt nice to have for Diablo 3 players, none of it represents a new product or something that Diablo fans who are done with Diablo 3 can feel excited about.

Necro being paid content is kinda meh, looks like they're just transferring his moveset over. There is going to be overlap with the WD so I dunno why they aren't doing some reworks.

The remake with the filter may be nice but we'll have to wait and see some footage. If you're gonna keep it in the D3 engine why go back to 8-Axis movement? Understandable if it was a standalone remake, but it's not and it sounds like you can use every class.

Uthred

It's entitled to expect more than a patch and paid DLC more than four years after D3 was released?

How much free content do you think you're entitled to? Not being snarky, honestly wondering. The games had solid support for quite some time, with new areas, mode, items, seasons, etc. Should they just support the game ad infinitum? A new class is a fairly sizeable chunk of content for an ARPG, along with the two new areas (with new mobs if they follow the other areas) and the D1 anniversary stuff. The only thing we're not getting that a "proper" expansion would have had is new story content, considering a) the story in D3 is mostly dogshit and b) most people play through it once, I'm not sure how much of a loss that is.

I never expected Diablo 4 but a Diablo 3 expansion at the very least. A new, paid character, in a game with no new substantial content is pointless.

To each their own, but considering that the character feels like the meat of the ARPG experience (with the other main pillar being loot) I'm wondering what exactly you mean by "substantial content"? New areas (we're getting those)? New story?

The lack of an actual expansion indicates to me that they are ready to move onto Diablo 4 and this is just what they were able to pull together to celebrate the 20th anniversary. I wasn't a huge fan of D3 so if Blizzard is dialed in on D4 that's good news to me.

tumblr_n9r90jnQqX1rxa2k2o1_500.png

Nerix

Why were people expecting Diablo 4? Or even a full expansion pack? Were there rumours?

It all sounds good to me. More maps are fun and a D1-themed rift sounds coil. Will likely throw in for some necro action as well if it's not too insanely expensive.
Yes, there were. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0haiSjGdU

I hoped for it, but didn't really think it would get announced. Necromancer will be cool, but it should get introduced with a proper expansion, like the crusader. Slightly disappointed...

Blues1990

We want Diablo 1 with the cartoony look of Diablo 3.

... said no one ever.

The game doesn't even remotely look like a "cartoon". Really, are people that hung over with Diablo III's saturated colour pallet? The soundtrack and narrative, I understand. (The composer is a poor replacement to Matt Uelmen, and I didn't give a shit about the Nephelem or Cain's niece.) But the actual game itself looks solid. Azmodan looks frickin' awesome, and the promotional artwork for the Necromancer looks great, to boot.

I never played D1 so I'm interested, plus a new class that kinda sounds like the witch doctor..? Well, at least my character will no longer be a hunchback.

Just buy Diablo 1. The D1 remake won't have the random quests and what not. Diablo 1 also plays much differently due to the spell system. Itemization is, sadly, even better than Diablo 3.

Plus you can actually take your time with Diablo 1 instead of blowing through it like you're God with an axe.

Firemind

How much free content do you think you're entitled to? Not being snarky, honestly wondering. The games had solid support for quite some time, with new areas, mode, items, seasons, etc. Should they just support the game ad infinitum? A new class is a fairly sizeable chunk of content for an ARPG, along with the two new areas (with new mobs if they follow the other areas) and the D1 anniversary stuff. The only thing we're not getting that a "proper" expansion would have had is new story content, considering a) the story in D3 is mostly dogshit and b) most people play through it once, I'm not sure how much of a loss that is.
They should have just saved it for D4.

duckroll

You really think people are complaining that there isn't enough free content here? People are upset that there isn't substantial new paid content they can pay money for and feel good about. Instead of Diablo 1 as a Rift, people want to be able to buy a Diablo 2 remake. Instead of Necromancer DLC for a few bucks, people want to buy a new Diablo 3 expansion for 40 bucks.

I don't think anyone here is whining that there isn't enough free stuff. :p

ferr

Weird how they're adding Necro. Not as an expansion, but as a patch.. and paid? Unheard of.

My guess is they started work on an expansion, had internal issues, and are trying to do whatever they can to salvage the work that they did. Times aren't good at Blizz, did WoW ruin them forever?

Diablo 1 "remade" with D3 itemization .feelsbadman

I will be passing on this.

Maybe they have more to announce, but if not, then this was a very disappointing splash for Diablo's 20th.

dmr87

Using the word remake or saying they are recreating the original game is really confusing people. It's not the entire first game recreated in Diablo 3. It's a Diablo 1 themed rift. 16 floors, 4 bosses. That is not a remake or remaster. People are really getting the wrong idea here.

f9ec.gif

Based on D3's pacing the D1 content can probably be done in under in under an hour for mature builds.

I am not knocking either game's pacing here just that they were polar opposites.

IvorB

Wait... they are going to remake Diablo in Diablo 3? All thirteen floors of it?

Edit: or 16 floors apparently.

Weird how they're adding Necro. Not as an expansion, but as a patch.. and paid? Unheard of.

My guess is they started work on an expansion, had internal issues, and are trying to do whatever they can to salvage the work that they did. Times aren't good at Blizz, did WoW ruin them forever?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but...

Firemind

The game doesn't even remotely look like a "cartoon". Really, are people that hung over with Diablo III's saturated colour pallet? The soundtrack and narrative, I understand. (The composer is a poor replacement to Matt Uelmen, and I didn't give a shit about the Nephelem or Cain's niece.) But the actual game itself looks solid. Azmodan looks frickin' awesome, and the promotional artwork for the Necromancer looks great, to boot.
beloved character deckard cain literally dies by the hands of a purple moth.

Top Bottom