• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 getting Necromancer (paid), remaking Diablo 1 in D3, new zones (free)

Blues1990

Yes, which is what Diablo is built upon.

AND LOL at the "remake" being a yearly thing that will be shut off for most of the year.

Da fuq blizz

The original Diablo definitely went with traditional Gothic Horror, and it did it well. But I can't recall Diablo II making feel scared or giving me a sense of dread.

jotun?

The game doesn't even remotely look like a "cartoon". Really, are people that hung over with Diablo III's saturated colour pallet? The soundtrack and narrative, I understand. (The composer is a poor replacement to Matt Uelmen, and I didn't give a shit about the Nephelem or Cain's niece.) But the actual game itself looks solid. Azmodan looks frickin' awesome, and the promotional artwork for the Necromancer looks great, to boot.

Yeah, I don't really understand the hate for D3's art. It's not the art that really kills the atmosphere compared to D1, it's the gameplay.

In D1 you move slowly, everything is dangerous (especially large groups of enemies), resources are limited, dying has severe penalties, and even shrines can have permanent consequences. Shit is tense and scary.

But in D3 you're a demigod, the entire game is designed toward enabling you to plow through hordes of enemies with maximum efficiency, and unless you're playing on hardcore there are no major consequences to anything. It can be challenging, but due to the way the difficulty selection works, it's only hard if you choose for it to be, and the challenge is more action-y, less survival horror-y.

D2 is somewhere in between

Arkeband

Banned
If this was a proper mini-expansion with a new class, new items, new zones, new weapon types, new monsters, new modifiers - that wouldn't even be enough.

What the game needs is different gameplay. And a new class is only part of that puzzle. We need the re-introduction of runewords to add some flavor to the super boring + main stat gem socketing. We need more players per game. We need more categories to spend paragon points on. We need something that fundamentally makes the game feel fresh.

Because you know the second you get through the boring ass 1-70 tutorial, you're right back where you started, except with a class that is still doing the same basic things the last class you were playing with did.

Yeah, I don't really understand the hate for D3's art. It's not the art that really kills the atmosphere compared to D1, it's the gameplay.

In D1 you move slowly, everything is dangerous (especially large groups of enemies), resources are limited, dying has severe penalties, and even shrines can have permanent consequences. Shit is tense and scary.

But in D3 you're a demigod, the entire game is designed toward enabling you to plow through hordes of enemies with maximum efficiency, and unless you're playing on hardcore there are no major consequences to anything. It can be challenging, but due to the way the difficulty selection works, it's only hard if you choose for it to be, and the challenge is more action-y, less survival horror-y.

That's because it's catered to the modern "I play the way I want to play" crowd who basically want to expend as much effort playing games as watching a Let's Play.

The art is horrible and the character models are WOW vanilla bad. Also no one is comparing the D1 art style to D3, it's the art style from D2 to D3.

Uthred

Nice for console players that they're getting seasons and the QOL stuff like the equipment/build manager and crafting mats getting their own interface are welcome.

An people want to say that folks don't see what blizzard is doing? they don't give to shits about Diablo. Most likely never did.

Yes, they havent cared about the franchise once in the last twenty years, the level of hyperbole here is literally laughable

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I sincerely doubt we'll be getting NPCs and dialogue. I fully expect to walk into Cain's house and click on something to be instantly transported into the first floor of the Cathedral. I doubt we'll get old Tristram sadly.

I meant in terms of length and, hopefully, polish.
I agree with you, but I doubt - I hope - it's gonna feel as cheap as a slightly longer rift either.
All will be revealed in a few hours I guess...

KAP151

Not exactly blown away by this.

Missed opportunities here. Necromancer is cool, but Im not gonna pony up for it.

akileese

If this was a proper mini-expansion with a new class, new items, new zones, new weapon types, new monsters, new modifiers - that wouldn't even be enough.

What the game needs is different gameplay. And a new class is only part of that puzzle. We need the re-introduction of runewords to add some flavor to the super boring + main stat gem socketing. We need more players per game. We need more categories to spend paragon points on. We need something that fundamentally makes the game feel fresh.

Because you know the second you get through the boring ass 1-70 tutorial, you're right back where you started, except with a class that is still doing the same basic things the last class you were playing with did.

This is where I'm at with it. Why should I play money to be burnt out on the same exact game with one more new character? And a character with less robust skill tree than the existing one in Diablo II at that. I just can't be arsed to get hyped up for playing the same game with no real redesign effort. It's nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

Yes, they havent cared about the franchise once in the last twenty years, the level of hyperbole here is literally laughable

Go ask Blizzard North, if Blizzard themselves cared about Diablo....because they sure as hell don't now. With how they will milk nostalgia. Instead of fixing their game.

Also; The mere fact that they are bringing the Necromancer back shows desperation, because they KNOW the player base has shrunken over the past 2 years since RoS. And it doesn't help that we have to pay money for a freaking class with no new content that finally finishes the Diablo story line once and for all.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The art is horrible and the character models are WOW vanilla bad. Also no one is comparing the D1 art style to D3, it's the art style from D2 to D3.

I quite like the d3 art style, they have tons of fantastic armor design and with the expansion the environment design has been phenomenal. The area around the cube is great and RoS had some awesome sub zones.

When have they not been shit?

I guess the proper term is worse than usual lol.

Calcium

Banned
I meant in terms of length and, hopefully, polish.
I agree with you, but I doubt - I hope - it's gonna feel as cheap as a slightly longer rift either.
All will be revealed in a few hours I guess...

Hopefully they surprise us, but the way it was presented just sounded like another rift. I'll be thrilled if it is more than that.

Arkeband

Banned
This is where I'm at with it. Why should I play money to be burnt out on the same exact game with one more new character? And a character with less robust skill tree than the existing one in Diablo II at that. I just can't be arsed to get hyped up for playing the same game with no real redesign effort. It's nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

wait till you see the epic variation of bone spear you unlock at level 54!

it shoots... wait for it... 2 bone spears!!! AND THEY'RE PURPLE!!!

giphy.gif

I quite like the d3 art style, they have tons of fantastic armor design and with the expansion the environment design has been phenomenal. The area around the cube is great and RoS had some awesome sub zones.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. The D2 art, music and atmosphere sucked me in, everything i booted up that damn game. Though funny enough, POE gets the closest but even it's art style does not cut it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Damn, I was hoping for either Diablo 4 or a remaster of Diablo 2.

Same. I kinda don't want D1 remade with anything that resembles D3 artstyle.

I want simple D2 HD remake in same ghotic style.

BTW, can PC owners of original D3 (with no RoS) get this new D1 remake?

Lothars

We're going to have to agree to disagree. The D2 art, music and atmosphere sucked me in, everything i booted up that damn game. Though funny enough, POE gets the closest but even it's art style does not cut it.
D2 Art style is incredible but so is D3's Art Style. They are both really good. I don't think POE does get close but than again I am not a fan of that game at all.

Calcium

Banned
I'm actually playing Diablo 3 right now after a long hiatus. Gotta say, I'm not really motivated to keep gearing my Witch Doctor knowing that the Necromancer is coming. Damn it all.

LCGeek

formerly sane

D3 is made by wow centric developers with no very little understanding of D1/D2 or very misguided understandings of how the genre or franchise should be.

This is the team that gave the phrase "gear check".

I'm down. Love Diablo 3 on PS4.

Two possibilities....

1. You are a cheater.

or

2. you have 3 diablo 3 playing friends.

Because anything other than playing this game with those 2 options is a complete fucking shit show of epic proportions and Blizzard should be ashamed.

Lothars

D3 is made by wow centric developers with no very little understanding of D1/D2 or very misguided understandings of how the genre or franchise should be.

This is the team that gave the phrase "gear check".
I definitely don't agree at all.

Wallach

Same. I kinda don't want D1 remade with anything that resembles D3 artstyle.

I want simple D2 HD remake in same ghotic style.

BTW, can PC owners of original D3 (with no RoS) get this new D1 remake?

No, whatever this is will be accessed through Adventure Mode and requires RoS.

BFIB

Two possibilities....

1. You are a cheater.

or

Because anything other than playing this game with those 2 options is a complete fucking shit show of epic proportions and Blizzard should be ashamed.

No to both. I podcast and just wreck shit mostly single player. Game is great, at least on console. Got out of the PC version early on with the auction house stuff.

Fou-Lu

I am starting to worry about that Diablo 1 remake. Will it even include Tristram?

On the other hand it does have all sixteen floors of dungeon.

Two possibilities....

1. You are a cheater.

or

Solo is just fine. And yeah, grouping up with friends is also a good time.

Am also glad to see Blizzard continuing to support D3 with paid and free content drops, as I worry what always-online microtransaction-laden stuff we'd see in a Diablo 4 considering today's gaming climate.

Lain

Diablo 1 is my second favorite Diablo game, with D3 beign the first, so D1 remade in D3 is very welcome for me. It's gonna be a blast to play.

Popnbake

Doubtful. If its not in the opening ceremony, then its over for big reveals.

):

wait till you see the epic variation of bone spear you unlock at level 54!

it shoots... wait for it... 2 bone spears!!! AND THEY'RE PURPLE!!!

I hope the Necromancer class has some big surprises.

Because those skills look extremely similar to WD's with a wiz mixed in.

If that Summon Skeletons has a 120 second cooldown...

Top Bottom