• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.

I hope you guys all somehow land the same job because you guys have great chemistry together.

Szeth

I've been dreading this day for a while now but I thought for sure we'd get at least 1 more E3 out of you guys. I'm fucking devastated. All those talks about the new stuff for this year too... fuck. Feel so bad for everyone.

Please Ben, Kyle, Huber, and whoever else, really do consider starting your own thing a la Kinda Funny Games. I'd gladly support a Patreon to continue watching you guys create things together, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Yo Ben, I already told Brad this on Twitter, but I hope you and the rest of the crew manage to come out alright & maybe reunite down the line. You guys were great and brought a lot of good times to folks like us.

Tankard

I think you guys could still do your own thing to create content, am I crazy? I just think you guys have fantastic chemistry together, that shouldn't go to waste.

Hassun

Neo Member
Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.
Damn I was hoping they had let you guys know in advance a bit at least. Rough.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

Mere hours ago!?, is this a common thing in the states?, how on earth can a company this big shut down so quickly without hardly any warning to it's employees, you guys actually have any employment rights over there?

Anyway all the best, I've watched plenty of good content from GT over years, hope you guys land on your feet.

Drencrom

Thank you guys for sticking with us through everything we did. It meant the world to us.

Fuck.... I feel like crying...

GameTrailers has been my favorite gaming site besides NeoGAF these past few years and I knew this would happen one day but not this soon...

You guys need to get on Patreon, I'm 100% sure GT fans will be able to support you guys!

Mere hours ago!?, is this a common thing in the states?, how on earth can a company this big shut down so quickly without hardly any warning to it's employees, you guys have actually have any employment rights over there?
IIRC, companies are supposed to give two weeks notice, unless this was just a confirmation that they would get cut and they were warned about the possibility a while back.

Sotha Sil

Terrible news. You guys are great together, I really hope you'll set up a common project some time in the near future. All the best.

I don't really want to impose my feelings on them since obviously they'll be going through a rough time right now and their own livelihoods is the most important thing, but I really hope they can find a way to do something new with as many of them as possible together.

Vinc

Fuck.... I feel like crying...

GameTrailers has been my favorite gaming site besides NeoGAF these past few years and I knew this would happen one day but not this soon...

You guys need to get on Patreon, I'm 100% sure GT fans will be able to support you guys!

Yessssss. This really sucks, I feel really bad for the whole crew. I hope they go to Patreon. And I hope everyone got a really sweet severance package.

SeanTSC

I never imagined that I could be so heartbroken over a gaming website going down, but fuck, I am wrecked inside right now.

Sesha

Brad Ellis here, Thank you guys for sticking with us through everything we did. It meant the world to us.

giphy.gif

ViciousDS

Banned

Son of a bitch

Hope you guys all land somewhere....probably my favorite site outside of neogaf for gaming. Everyone there has such a passion for the industry.

-shadow-

Kickstart, Patreon I don't know what because this is really a gut punch. Damn I absolutely love you guys with pretty much anything you do. The whole decline was really rough to watch but it didn't look as if this would go this quickly. Man this is terrible!

If you guys will not continue with each other I hope you can all find a new job quickly that'll let you guys be as energetic and nuts as you always were. Seriously going to be missing Gametrailers! :(

Umibozu

Farisr, can you post a link to the YouTube account that you posted the GT videos on, and can you upload the stream from tonight in case it crashes during the stream? Thanks

I'm just thinking of all the things that aren't going to happen outside the great amount of their weekly shows

No Mario RPG completion
No RE6 stream!
No Bets
No E3 fun
We won't see the end of G-force!
No return of tabletop adventures

Haven't felt like this since 1up died :(

Sephend

Just like that? Backdoor shady deals, indeed. What a way for a company to care about their employees, Defy. I feel for everyone, especially Bloodworth, who's supposed to be enjoying a high point in his life at this very moment.

It's a shame. I've watched GT off and on for years. In the last 3 years, a lot has happened there, and it's turned into one of my daily clicks to see what shenanigans the gang is up to. I'm barely active on twitter, but I follow all of the crew. They're so damn human compared the robotic, agenda pushing, and "sponsored" words and articles of so many other games media sites. They represent a diverse set of tastes, and genuinely care about games and the people involved in them. All I can hope is that somehow, some way, they all get to continue doing what we all enjoy seeing them do in some capacity. It's sad to think that it won't ever be the same.

Djungelurban

Neo Member
Well, this was out of the blue... However, I'd like to echo to sentiment of many others here, you guys should go out and try and make something by yourselves, through Patreon for example. Cause the name on the box doesn't matter, it's the people involved that are important.

Mushbert

Neo Member
Just came back from vacation, I entered Youtube and watched the Games of February video, it was hilarious, also saw the other video that they uploaded toady, and now this??
I'm devastated. This crew were like a family, like a family of honest, vety authentic family which I felt like a part of.
They felt like company in many difficult moments. Their infectious energy always made me feel better, so this makes me very, very sad. I hope success for everyone of them becasue they are talented and fell like amazing people, the kind of people that I'd like to meet in real life.

This is the absolute worst news for me right now.

You guys produced the only gaming content on the internet that is worth a damn and that I care about. GT Time, Huber Hype, Final Bosman, Mandatory Update, Trailer Score, Just Played, Don's Design Lab.

All made by uniquely talented and likable people.

I mean, not to mention Brandon Jones. This has been his fucking baby for over a decade. They can't kill it off like that...

I'm absolutely devastated. I really can't say more right now. Elyse leaving bummed me the fuck out, but this is on a whole other level.

qIkuQUD.jpg

Thank you for everything.

RexNovis

Banned

I sincerely hope you and all the others continue making content somehow. If i need to subscribe or contribute to a Patreon I will. Y'all have put out hands down the best video game content for years now. Please tell me you will continue to do so somehow. I would hate to lose such relate-able and relevant voices in this industry. I honestly can't believe this. It even feels like you were getting more popular recently.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Please let this be the first Patreon I ever subscribe to.

I'm welling up a little, this is such a cornerstone of my daily routine, just gone like that...

ilium

Terrible news just terrible...fuck

Been with them for ten years now, always been a constant in my life...
doesn't feel very real right now

Would support ten more on patreon.

Lelcar

What? This is terrible! Besides Giant Bomb, GT was quite literally the only other video game content that I consistently consumed. Listened to the podcast every week and always watched GT Live, Final Bosman, Mandatory Update et al.

This is insane, wow.

Man I hope someone saves the Metal Gear Retrospective and Pop Fiction videos.

Did GT say at all if they are gonna keep their Youtube up?

Tregard

Soothsayer
Ben, Brad, Kyle, Ian, Huber, Blood, Brandon, Don, Matt, if any of you read this:

Thank you so much for the years of joy you've brought me and my family, and please, if you can, find some way to let the joy continue, the community will support you.

Afrodium

Banned
You guys were the best. The only video game personalities I've cared about since the 1up days. I hope you all land on your feet. Best wishes.

farisr

omg...

feels like a gutpunch.

you guys will be missed.

It's crazy how my hype for things like E3 just took a nosedive.

That was not too hard to predict. I said months ago, that the Kinda Funny Patreon model or Giant Bomb is more suited for you guys. Best of luck!

Top Bottom