• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Absolutely gutted.

H9lHAj_uAzxuEJv4ZDFyRLBO5bdCvr6WQrkTJikS_s_zw_BtOxFnK7oKFrUouII7NPjs5pE9UnCkx-czDzEQC4N5AON6tQVCNuxs15ZEKdEbtIRBJXobNtG5L3r6OaPA12Wwnkx3j8szphrFKO7uRx12Stiz-RrQuRMt5ofGqz0GyTYbkHRm6ATqdIvZSS4OFp2BRV6YZ88tDx-ZGWnjcwgh4wdKy_WcCBWyXRbeZ0OVkt5-D37gAtEp5kyMtrzP_AoOjSv7OHeWb-POh62BwteLbUscyh4Pn4zOPn5tWmFaTxxepBOPOHRcfk4X6cERPvBYeAjE3PdV56VcNJp-HWVHHF8X3e0cfE_k_DCIekQaUMixP1EGhTgvNbT88Lj10RMc1I7i3lKasuHtxeFis1rictBa-qg2Ji4203p1MUt4SLuwfYFextUXpLPRCJAKNDH-lgbA4h3c-ni7h2a175lAws_MUTt6woebwykh2nP6gtCjSE3kIQTO9OTN5d0iKjk8PCwDdLsWyn_Z3LqR4Pt-HFpazDvhA_CDraKKk3gStGj38eE0myh64op5LhIE0ooEtQ=w639-h357-no

The Final Bosman Battle of the Bands episode is lost forever as well. It's not on YouTube and not on the current site. Kyle still has the files, but can't post them and with them not being on any sites, users can't download them either.

ito007

Terrible news just terrible...fuck

Been with them for ten years now, always been a constant in my life...
doesn't feel very real right now

Would support ten more on patreon.
This post echos me sentiments exactly. I believe my year count is closer to 8, but that is about the time when I really started to take gaming as a serious hobby. It just feels like a huge gut punch knowing that the community I've been with ever since I started is being torn down.

At first, GT showed me why games were fun.

Then, when I was invested, they helped show me where my tastes were and how to find them.

Finally, when I'd "found my way," I watched their shows and wanted to support them as friends would.

I know it kind of sounds sappy, but it's true and I would feel like I cheated the site if I didn't talk about them this way.

Thank you for everything Gametrailers. I look forward to the crew's future endeavors.

MegamanNG

Neo Member
Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.

Thanks for everything Ben. Give Brandon my regards. I hope we find out why you guys are shutting down.

Stream is over, the Brandon Jones speech, legit feels man and that meat Huber joke, you guys are the best. I went through middle school and the first year of high school in the US, moved back to Mexico and now I'm in university and all this time I've always counted on GT for great times, thank you. If you guys disband there might never be another group with such a great chemistry, funny, talented and insightful personalities. Never forget.

Szeth

That stream was emotional. Obviously it's way too soon for anything concrete but from some of the stuff Ian and Ben were saying it sounded like they would at least consider trying to start their own thing. I have hope

That stream was emotional. Obviously it's way too soon for anything concrete but from some of the stuff Ian and Ben were saying it sounded like they would at least consider trying to start their own thing. I have hope
Me too. I could see a subset try to form their own thing. I'll be actively following them on Twitter to see how things shake out in the next couple weeks

Paper Lion

Neo Member
This is a sad day. GT was my go to site for all things gaming related. No one could even come close to their E3 coverage. They are some of the best people in the business, and this is only a bad thing for the industry. I sincerely hope they all stay together and try to make something of it. If they need money, do a patreon and I'm there, guaranteed.

Gods... What a fucking travesty this whole thing is.

This is hitting me way harder than I could have imagined. GT has become jolly incarnate over the past few years, with amazing personalities and content. Sincere thoughts to all who were affected.

GT Time, Man Ups, Huber Hype, Final Bosman, etc were all some of my favourite video game content being produced on the internet. It sucks big time to see them go.
I will 100% donate to a Patreon if a bunch of them banded together and launched their own thing.

Tankard

That was not too hard to predict. I said months ago, that the Kinda Funny Patreon model or Giant Bomb is more suited for you guys. Best of luck!

You mean as doing their own thing or joining Giant Bomb?

Because as a matter of fact the GT crew is exactly the opposite of those Giant Bomb guys in my opinion.

I'm downloading the Until Dawn Pajama Party and Don's Design Lab episodes. I'll decide later what else I can still save, but those two are important to me right now.

Well this is some ratshit news to come home to.

I remember visiting the GT website fairly regularly way back when I was in high school because that's where all the trailers would show up first. A few years later they were also the first place I'd go to watch all the E3 conferences live because their streams always seemed to be the most reliable and highest quality (as far as I remember anyway). And yet it wasn't until the last 3 or so years that I really feel like they started coming in their own, with the shift to my personality based and genuinely entertaining shows like The Final Bosman, Huber Hype, GT Time, ManUps, Final Bets and Don's Design Lab, as well as their E3 streams and game streams.

Best of luck to Brandon, Blood, Kyle, Huber, Ian, Ben, Brad, Don and Matt. I really hope you guys manage to stay together and start up your own site via Patreon, I'd back it and based on the reactions in the other thread, so would a lot of other people. But even if that doesn't happen, I hope you guys find success wherever you end up because you guys deserve it.

I'm downloading the Until Dawn Pajama Party and Don's Design Lab episodes. I'll decide later what else I can still save, but those two are important to me right now.

Can you get any videos off the GT website? Because I feel like the priority should be backing up the ones that never made it over to Youtube, like most of the Final Bets episodes (Gamescom 2014, TGS 2014, TGA/PSX 2014 show and results).

Can you get any videos off the GT website? Because I feel like the priority should be backing up the ones that never made it over to Youtube, like most of the Final Bets episodes (Gamescom 2014, TGS 2014, TGA/PSX 2014 show and results).

The site is a mess, but I think I found them all and saved them.

e: Quality is only 480p, but still.

ilium

This post echos me sentiments exactly. I believe my year count is closer to 8, but that is about the time when I really started to take gaming as a serious hobby. It just feels like a huge gut punch knowing that the community I've been with ever since I started is being torn down.

At first, GT showed me why games were fun.

Then, when I was invested, they helped show me where my tastes were and how to find them.

Finally, when I'd "found my way," I watched their shows and wanted to support them as friends would.

I know it kind of sounds sappy, but it's true and I would feel like I cheated the site if I didn't talk about them this way.

Thank you for everything Gametrailers. I look forward to the crew's future endeavors.

They were my go to place for high quality video content (sorry Bosman) about video games ever since I found them sowehow. E3 2006 is the earliest I can remember actively going to gametrailers.com, the Final Fantasy XIII trailer got me so hyped, oooh boy. I knew I needed to get a ps3 asap.
Then around 2008/9 I kinda felt disconnected from gaming for some reason and felt it was time to maybe move on. I was about to sell off my ps3 when I watched this really intriguing footage of a game called Demon's Souls on gt.com and decided that I might as well wait for a little bit longer.
The tears shed during the The Last Guardian Reveal certainly played a role as well.
Demon's Souls invigorated my flame and opened so many doors in so many ways and I'm still kinda waiting for TLG, but I never lost hope.

I always thought that their stuff had this professional edge when it came to video productions about games, partly thanks to people like Geoff Keighley and Pachter I guess. Keighley's weird slow phaseout and Pachter's sudden stop really bummed me out at the time. And my heart still goes out to Elyse!

I have also fond memories of their user videos like Hey Ash, Mega64, and some other, really weird stuff. It kinda was youtube before youtube in a way which is why I was always slightly mad for them not making the jump sooner, especially when they centered more around personality driven shows, which was the time I really fell in love with the group.

I wish them all the best in the world and hope they will get into gear really soon again, maybe even community funded. I know I would want to give something back for sure.

Edit. The first ever gif I made encapsulates my feelings about GT perfectly I feel

e3gtxtcoeual.gif

AAK

Brandon Jones that speech was powerful. I've been a fan of your site since that original Jak and Daxter retrospective you guys did. (I'm gonna guess it was 2005?) Keep being awesome all of you.

Aegryan

Neo Member
I have fond memories of

- discovering GT when it first launched and game trailers weren't really an established thing like they are today
- Invisible Walls, particularly Shane Satterfield
- Pachter talking endlessly about the Wii HD
- Bonus Round with Geoff Keighley
- peerless E3 coverage

I thought their reviews were mostly open and honest and straightforward and Brandon Jones was a pleasure to listen to.

I hope they maintain their individual voices, it would be a pity to see them consumed by other sites.

sora87

Actually devastated guys. GT has been the only site I've visited daily for years, since like 08. They're part of my daily routine. They're like friends to me. Urgh, fuck.

If they do a pateron you better believe I'd back that at the highest tier.

Can't believe it :(

luchadork

please do a patreon. please do a patreon. please do a patreon. please do a patreon. please do a patreon. GT is such a big part of my life. i truly believe they could come back together and do something even better, this time on their own terms and own rules, and without the shackles involved with corporate overlords.

As I sit here and watch Damiani's stream, getting weepy and teary eyed every 10 minutes, I feel compelled to write some words.

I first started watching GT back in 2004. I used to go there every day to watch new trailers and announcements. When I got into their original programming some time later, I discovered a band of people who actually cared about video games. They weren't looking for problems in the games they were reviewing. They were celebrating what made games great. Sure, I didn't agree with every single review, but I knew their opinions were honest and unbiased, so I would watch every single one. I would watch them for games I never planned on buying, just to give them the support of an extra click. It's one of the few sites I turned off adblock for. I wanted them to get my click money because I felt they deserved it.

The site fell into an excellent groove around 2010, I think. Whenever Annoyed Gamer, Pach Attack (those predictions xD), Invisible Walls, and the Screw Attack shows were on the site, that was the beginning of the golden age. I would visit the site every single day to watch their stuff. I loved Final Bosman from the beginning. Bonus bits got me attached to Kyle and made me a serious fan of his.

When it was announced THE DAY BEFORE E3 2014 that Viacom had sold them, I feared the worst. I've seen enough companies go under that I knew the staff would get gutted. I felt so badly for Damiani getting let go. He was my inspiration for speed running A Link to the Past. I still have the EGM issue that he was featured in. The article was called "Speed Freaks" and it opened my eyes to the world of speed running. When I found out years later that he was the same Damiani that was with GT, it showed me that he had made it in the industry, and inspired me to do the same.

After the layoffs happened, I was happy that the crew that made it through were making it alright. We got Huber Hype, Ladies in the Lobby, and GT Live for new shows. The Final Bosman, GT Time, and ManUps all continued. We lost some great shows, but what we got in return was some serious heart into what they had. Everyone had a voice, and I felt a connection to the crew. Kyle did an excellent job bringing everyone on the staff into GT Time. I related to them because their passions were my own. Opinions may have been different, but they got me excited for video games every day when I woke up. I can't even begin to count the amount of times GT Time popped up in my YouTube feed late Thursday night, but I saved it for Friday because I wanted to start my day off with the crew.

The E3 of dreams in 2015 solidified my passion for video games. I work full time now in esports and GT and this broadcast is a big part of what inspired me to do so. I put a career in air traffic control aside in order to pursue a career in video games. I always hoped to work with them in some capacity. I was planning on asking to volunteer my time to help them out in any way I could during E3, especially with their streams and VOD archives. I wanted so much for GT to prosper and grow again. I'm upset because I fear that'll never happen now with everyone likely going their separate ways. I cried with Huber and Brad when Shenmue got announced. I've never even played the damned games. It was just so great to see someone so happy about something they cared so much about. I felt it in my heart and that passion has been burning like a bonfire ever since.

Elyse's departure was really tough, but we still get to see her at Funhaus, and she's working with her husband so I'm sure she's having fun over there. I was hoping they'd hire someone to fill her spot in the company, but I kept noticing that there was NEVER a job posting on Defy's site for GT. That's when I got the feeling that it might be over for GT. I got really excited when Brandon announced, happily, that they'd be taking a day and having an all-hands meeting at Dave & Busters and discussing the future of the company. I felt like this was it. This was the rebirth right here. But we got cut short.

I really and truly hope that they're able to do something together again. I had planned on making 2016 my first E3, and I can only hope to run into everyone there. They were a legendary crew and made me excited about video games. Their positivity and jolly vibes were and still are a rare treat in the gaming industry. We were lucky to have you in our lives, and I wish you all the best. I still don't want to close this GT Twitch tab. I'll leave you guys with some of the gifs I've made over the past year or so. It's been an absolute pleasure watching your content and engaging with you. I felt a connection with you guys like I never have before. I know it sounds corny and cheesy and probably a little strange, but you guys were so important to this industry and to so many of our lives. I hope someone high up somewhere recognizes the impact you've all had and helps you in whatever ways you need in your careers and lives. Stay jolly, everyone, and Beauty Boys for life.

PXC4o88.gif

xpYW3su.gif

5MXWwya.gif

Here's some I didn't make. Credit to whoever did :)

GIBVBR4.gif

gIHhvst.gif

UrbanRats

I'll probably post more about this later.
For now i just really want someone to save all the TableTop/Fiasco episodes from death.

eFKac

Fuck this kind of news to wake up to.

This is a huge bummer for me, GT was a part of my daily routine for quite some time.

Please if someone is backing up the content, post the new source in this thread for us to find. At least I'll work on some backlog before letting go of the crew.

Auctopus

I can't believe it. Been following GT for 9 years and they have been in their prime for the last 3 years.

Such good times and amazing content and streams. They didn't deserve this at all. Gonna post a little more later on.

Does anyone know the official word? They were saying how excited they were for the year to come only a couple weeks ago?

Top Bottom