• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dark Soul 3 confirmed real by leaked promo art - Early 2016

Jachaos

Asking again - people saying everything got announced today. What else did we get outside of this and Mirrors Edge (which was already announced last year)?

News about Halo 5, Xbox One 500GB price drop permanent (well that was a given but still), new Xbox One controller, 1TB Xbox One console, Gran Turismo 7 teasing, Retro teasing, The Last Guardian will be at E3 according to Guardian

And Sonic Boom for 3DS

Not E3 per se but there's a lot of new news threads.

Majmun

DS3-IGN-FINAL.jpg

READY FOR IT!!!!
isvUKgPGVBVA2.gif

Gbraga

AWWW YISSSSSSS

Why does Bloodborne not count? That's 3 years in a row if this 2016 date holds.

It's only 3 years in a row if you own a PS4, though. Not everyone does.

I did catch the discussion in the middle, so I apologize if franchise fatigue isn't really relevant to the discussion.

Ferr986

Waaaaay too soon, and explains why it looks more like a cobbled together expansion than anything new and fresh.

Damn, feels bad son :( What was once this fresh new dynamic series is into the disappointing milk zone already.

Yes this looks like straight taken from Dark 1, 2 and BB.

Seriously, we have only saw a couple of leaked pics. Whats with the hyperbole and negativity about it? I'm baffled.

Hopefully it's great, but early 2016 just makes me even more certain that this is more of a Dark Souls 2.5. I want a big sequel, with lots of changes and this seems like it will mostly just be more of the same.

I don't want Assassins Creed style annualization to ruin the Soul's games.

Dark Souls 2 was released in March of 2014, if DS3 comes out in 2016 that's 2 years later which is fine for a sequel.

I'm not counting the DLC and next-gen ports, btw, because they don't really count.

VertPin

Anyone expecting Miyazaki to supervise this like Dark Souls 2?

It doesn't make sense for Miyazaki to be directing this if he just finished Bloodborne, working on Bloodborne DLC, has presidential work at FROMSOFTWARE. TBH I'd think that another director is working on this with miyazaki's supervision

and its weird that this is early 2016 too...didn't the other team JUST finish the DLC and the remaster in house?

Could there be a C-Team? lol

Foffy

Banned
If this is early 2016...where the hell does that put Bloodborne's expansion? Is that now locked for the fall of this year?

Ferr986

It doesn't make sense for Miyazaki to be directing this if he just finished Bloodborne, working on Bloodborne DLC, has presidential work at FROMSOFTWARE. TBH I'd think that another director is working on this with miyazaki's supervision

and its weird that this is early 2016 too...didn't the other team JUST finish the DLC and the remaster in house?

Last DS2 DLC released in Sept 2014. They just did a new boss in 2015. And the PS4/One port was probably done very fast.

convo

BB was an OK game, but it was no DS1. As long as DS3 doesn't adopt BB's simplistic approach to player builds, I'll be very happy.

They have swords and magic , builds simply follow by tossing the loot-salad. No worries in terms of that but i hope they at least not make it look like the player is sliding around while moving like in early DS2, make it solid and hand crafted like in DS1 and BB.

jay

Or people who are fans of the series would rather get excited for a new game in the series than be pessimistic whiners? There's no direct correlation between people celebrating DS3 announcement and people bashing annualised franchises, if there is I'd like to see it, maybe in this thread for starters.

Well you got my number.

Enjoy your excitement.

With support from Bamco I doubt it took a lot of effort for the port.

Xiraiya

That city in the background looks awfully like a ruined Anor Londo.

2014 - Dark Souls 2
2015 - Bloodborne
2016 - Dark Souls 3
2017 - Bloodborne 2?

Annual Souls games, let's see how it works but I'm pretty hyped.
I don't know, we'll see, my first thought is only Dark Souls will get continuation because it's not tied to Sony, The Exclusive games will probably be their own Miyazaki self contained stories, which I would prefer over sequels.

E92 M3

Love the promo image. Kinda crazy to see so many Souls games coming out; hopefully I'll never get sick of them.

cyba89

In the end it shouldn't matter if there's a new one every year so long as they are polished and good games. It's when they release broken and terrible that there is a problem.

People can experience franchise fatigue even when the games are not broken.

matmanx1

Seriously? Seriously?? I will not complain about more Dark Souls although it will be tough to go back to the slower pace after having so much fun in Bloodborne. Concept art looks cool as all get out, though.

Drencrom

If it's got to happen, I just really wish they leave DS1 out of it.

No fan service of Sunbro covenants or reincarnated characters/storylines and bosses. Come up with your own thing.

This!

Having so many throwbacks from DaS1 in DaS2 felt really cheap and was borderline fan fiction at times.

I loved the Sunbro covenant in DaS1 but having it return yet again would be lazy pandering, it's basically a shitty meme at this point. At least Valve had the decency to leave out all the "THE CAKE IS A LIE" jokes in Portal 2 and make new jokes/gags after everyone and their mother had driven that to the ground.

Miyazaki heading this project will assure me that it won't come back though, pandering like that isn't his thing.

People can experience franchise fatigue even when the games are not broken.

But Bloodborne is only on PS4 and it plays so much differently than Dark Souls I find it very hard to compare to the two or suggest they're part of the same franchise.

convo

If it's got to happen, I just really wish they leave DS1 out of it.

No fan service of Sunbro covenants or reincarnated characters/storylines and bosses. Come up with your own thing.

Ha! I don't give a shit, the pose will still be there.

shanafan

Dark Souls 2: 2014
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin: 2015
Dark Souls 3: 2016

Is turning into another yearly franchise like Assassin's Creed, COD, and Madden?

EDIT: I do pick up AC and COD every year, and love those games. Merely was a question about the future of the franchise from a Bloodborne fan. No harm intended! Sorry if my direction was mistaken.

Karl Hawk

Banned
All I can say is... meh.

I preferred Bloodborne and its setting/themes. Yes, I know some people are more fond of magic and sword/shield builds, but I can't seem to go back to DS1 or even bother play DS2 since Bloodborne's combat was fluidly amazing.

Hell, I'd dare say the weapon transformation makes Bloodborne fucking badass to me.

But Bloodborne is only on PS4 and it plays so much differently than Dark Souls I find it very hard to compare to the two or suggest they're part of the same franchise.

The fundamentals are so similar. The only things that throw me off when alternating between the games is the button to chug healthjuice and I keep thinking D-pad right is the transform button. Bloodborne is a Souls game.

Xiraiya

Is turning into another yearly franchise like Assassin's Creed, COD, and Madden?

They did this before with their games before Demon Souls, it's not really a new pattern for them.

Mandelbo

SOTFS wasn't a new release, though. More like a remixed version for current-gen consoles.

Top Bottom