• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack "not all that excited" by next-gen hardware (gamesindustry.biz)

KageMaru

What? If you strip it of everything what made LBP such a big deal then yeah it would. But then again, so could any game if you did the same.

My point was how limited PSN was on the PSP has nothing to do with it being possible on the ps2.

Originally you claim the game was too demanding for the ps2, PSP proves you wrong, so now your moving onto network limitations? lol

Hatten

IIRC Carmack was never a consoles guy, he wasn't excited about the upcoming 32bit gen nor the "128bit" gen

And VR? dude it's a HMD, granted it's much better than the ioglasses from 18 years ago but then again so is everything else

Being able to fully manipulate objects in 3D with your hands as if it was real, that's true VR.

Not gonna happen for the mass market, not for a while.

IIRC Carmack was never a consoles guy, he wasn't excited about the upcoming 32bit gen nor the "128bit" gen

And VR? dude it's a HMD, granted it's much better than the ioglasses from 18 years ago but then again so is everything else

Being able to fully manipulate objects in 3D with your hands as if it was real? not gonna happen for the mass market, not for a while.

no. it's VR. he wrote custom software that reads the raw data from a gyro built into the device to track head movements in the real world and move them into the gameworld with no perceivable lag.

What exactly are we saving our levels to on the PS2 version? The 8MB memory card?
they released a hard drive for the PS2. it's okay that you forgot it, everyone else did too... still, it's a fact to say the PS2 had the capability of saving numerous levels. and how big do you think a LBP level is anyway?

they released a hard drive for the PS2. it's okay that you forgot it, everyone else did too... still, it's a fact to say the PS2 had the capability of saving numerous levels. and how big do you think a LBP level is anyway?

Oh, i had the PS2 hard drive, I bought it for Socom 2 maps that didn't come out for two years and when they finally did they were on a magazine disc....

But the PS2 didn't communicate the harddrive in that way. It made numerous 8mb 'cards' that you could save games too, or it allowed certain game(s) (just FFXI?) install to it, but I don't think that was really in a read/write way, I think it was write once and then read only (basically a DVD wasn't large enough to hold the game). But you would have to find someone more technically savvy than me,

And my LBP save file has ballooned up as big as 50mb when I've been working on my most complex levels.

BTW, i don't really care much about the argument, I was just skimming and decided to jump in on this comment. Maybe LBP could happen on a PS2, to a much smaller extent... i dunno. I was just wondering how it would be saved.

It was, but I don't think it had the speeds necessary to be used in a read/write situation in a way that would work in game. Or atleast that's what I remember reading on shitty websites of the early 2000s.

Could someone have programmed it to do so and get around the barriers sony programmed into the API to use it? Probably. But that seems mighty unlikely.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well if you exclude motion control, this gen wasn't really innovative. What are the big games of the generation ? Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Red Dead Redemption ? Those are good games, but very similar to games we already had last gen. Only bigger and prettier.
I know what you're trying to say there, but I think you're WAY off base and not looking close enough.

Games of that type were attempted last generation, sure, and many of them were even successful. However, there's something to be said for the fidelity of the actual gameplay as opposed to visuals. There are so many smaller elements that all work together to create those games and allow them to feel as solid as they do that simply wouldn't be possibly last generation.

This generation we have sandbox games with more intricate controls, better collisions and animation, more refined AI, and more polished gameplay than many linear corridor games from last generation. Take something like inFamous or Assassin's Creed. The level of interaction with the world and fluidity of everything wasn't even common with linear games let alone sandbox titles from last generation.

Look at something like Uncharted or Max Payne 3 and consider the way everything works together. Animations flow smoothly, the collision with the world is top notch, enemies react beautifully to shot, etc. This kind of stuff isn't simply window dressing, rather, it goes a long way towards making a game FEEL really damn good. This kind of precision in a shooter simply was not possible last generation.

I feel as if a lot of people don't really give that stuff as much credit as it deserves. Those dynamic animations and physics all play a role in improving the experience itself and should not be discounted so easily.

Zaptruder

Banned
I know what you're trying to say there, but I think you're WAY off base and not looking close enough.

Games of that type were attempted last generation, sure, and many of them were even successful. However, there's something to be said for the fidelity of the actual gameplay as opposed to visuals. There are so many smaller elements that all work together to create those games and allow them to feel as solid as they do that simply wouldn't be possibly last generation.

This generation we have sandbox games with more intricate controls, better collisions and animation, more refined AI, and more polished gameplay than many linear corridor games from last generation. Take something like inFamous or Assassin's Creed. The level of interaction with the world and fluidity of everything wasn't even common with linear games let alone sandbox titles from last generation.

Look at something like Uncharted or Max Payne 3 and consider the way everything works together. Animations flow smoothly, the collision with the world is top notch, enemies react beautifully to shot, etc. This kind of stuff isn't simply window dressing, rather, it goes a long way towards making a game FEEL really damn good. This kind of precision in a shooter simply was not possible last generation.

I feel as if a lot of people don't really give that stuff as much credit as it deserves. Those dynamic animations and physics all play a role in improving the experience itself and should not be discounted so easily.

Not to discount them... but... they're really trivial improvements in the grand scheme of things.

Like... if that was all that next gen was going to offer - better collision physics, better cloth animations, etc... I'll upgrade - but only in the same way that I'd sleep with some trog of a woman when drunk outta my mind.

Dan Yo

Banned
Not to discount them... but... they're really trivial improvements in the grand scheme of things.

Like... if that was all that next gen was going to offer - better collision physics, better cloth animations, etc... I'll upgrade - but only in the same way that I'd sleep with some trog of a woman when drunk outta my mind.
The more power available to the developers, the more stuff they can put on screen. If you don't think the developers are innovating enough, well, that's your opinion. The fact is, the better technology gets, the less a developer has to restrict their imagination to make due with the limitations of the hardware.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

See, I don't think they are trivial at all.

Look, let's take the controls and action of something like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and True Crime. Compare that to something like Red Dead or inFamous. Yes, the games themselves are very different, but just consider the character control, animation, hit reactions, AI, crowd behavior, etc. Sandbox games from last generation were SO rough around the edges that they basically had to get by on the concept alone. The actual minute to minute play was never really any good. Now we have large, open worlds with gameplay that is more nuanced and polished than last generation small scale linear action games.

Seriously, I mean look at this (the THIRD attempt at open world by Rockstar on PS2)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcu35CcmLNM&feature=player_detailpage#t=139s

Versus GTAIV (the first attempt at open world this generation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhhCURdheU&feature=player_detailpage#t=55s

The core mechanics of GTAIV have been improved upon greatly since 2008 but San Andreas was nearly as janky as GTA3. This was true of nearly all sandbox games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why does everything have to come down to the grand scheme of things. Doesn't smaller things matter too? Especially if the smaller things make the game alot cooler and fun.

Hylian

VR Would be pretty unique selling point, if a console would have 3D HD VR HMD and 3d Audio Headset out of the box. That would instantly differentiate it from current gen. Add Some natal v2 gesture based UI Control and you have your future shit right there.

Speakin of whats possible now, If i can watch 3d movies and play many of my favourite games on this 90+ Fov HMD screen at home, with 3d sound at 500$. Sounds like a pretty cheap VR 3D movie/games theather to me.

jimi_dini

Seriously, I mean look at this (the THIRD attempt at open world by Rockstar on PS2)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcu35CcmLNM&feature=player_detailpage#t=139s

Versus GTAIV (the first attempt at open world this generation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhhCURdheU&feature=player_detailpage#t=55s

The core mechanics of GTAIV have been improved upon greatly since 2008 but San Andreas was nearly as janky as GTA3. This was true of nearly all sandbox games.

Yeah, "look". That's basically it. Oh looky, new and flashy.
Still I would play GTA3/VC/SA over ANYTHING with GTAIV in its name.

Also: the on foot and shooty controls in GTAIV are still ass. And the car controls are fucked up (I know - some prefer those broken controls, I prefer the perfect arcade controls of 3/VC/SA).

Gameplay-wise IV was a huge step back from GTA:SA - all sorts of cool stuff to do in SA was gone. Variety and map-size was also hugely reduced.

szaromir

Banned

Also: the on foot and shooty controls in GTAIV are still ass. And the car controls are fucked up (I know - some prefer those broken controls, I prefer the perfect arcade controls of 3/VC/SA).

Gameplay-wise IV was a huge step back from GTA:SA - all sorts of cool stuff to do in SA was gone. Variety and map-size was also hugely reduced.

You forgot to mention PS2 GTAs also had terrible on-foot and shooty controls. Both current-gen and last-gen GTA were janky as hell.

Carmack has lost zest for gaming for years now. It's really apparent in interviews probably stretching back a decade now.

He's lost the plot, I've been saying it for a little bit now.

I'm sure he's much more interested in tinkering with tech (head mounted displays currently) and rocketry.

Id has little relevance any more, while their cohorts Epic and Valve have skyrocketed to prominence.

I think Rage would have been a monster hit if it had (quality) deathmatch modes. I loved the campaign. More than I did Gears of War.

It makes the game more immersive, and alive. That adds to the experience to me; makes things more visceral and interesting. The little things add up for me; the damage to the cars, the particle and smoke effects of the explosions, Euphoria. I can appreciate the hard work that goes into details like that, and yes they add to the gameplay for me. And yes, I want to see all these things taken to the next level next gen.

Zaptruder

Banned
Why does everything have to come down to the grand scheme of things. Doesn't smaller things matter too? Especially if the smaller things make the game alot cooler and fun.

Because we're arguing in broad strokes here.

We're looking for innovations that really scream next-gen, rather than - maybe they could've done that with enough prep time this gen.

And because there is and will always be room for gaming innovation within the framework of what exists - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to extend and go beyond the boundaries of what is really just an obvious and increasingly trivial upgrade to things.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because we're arguing in broad strokes here.

We're looking for innovations that really scream next-gen, rather than - maybe they could've done that with enough prep time this gen.

And because there is and will always be room for gaming innovation within the framework of what exists - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to extend and go beyond the boundaries of what is really just an obvious and increasingly trivial upgrade to things.

And I'm sure we will get those innovations next-gen, just like we got them this gen when compared to the PS2 and Xbox era.

Zaptruder

Banned
And I'm sure we will get those innovations next-gen, just like we got them this gen when compared to the PS2 and Xbox era.

I dunno Mac. Where can they go after this? Touch screen? More motion? From what I've seen, next gen will at best largely be about cleaning up and integrating all the 'experimental' shit they've had going this gen - like the online services was from last gen to this gen.

The big step from that is really this change of view point... from TV to in your face, massive field of view - where you're outside the game, to the feeling of been IN the game. Of course, this tech is only really going to mature after next-gen has released... but it would be nice if they could integrate this as it matured next-gen - like they did with 3D this gen.

Top Bottom