• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next DOOM closed alpha test will be from Dec 3 to Dec 6. Invites going out.

Jito

Banned
It's good to be back on Doom, absolutely loving the alpha again, just need some new maps and I'd play this forever!

jem0208

I got got given a code from someone but I didn't pre order Wolfenstein (I do own it though).

Will this work for me?

I bought wolfenstein but perhaps not in the release window. Didn't see that I was invited to the alpha. Does anyone have an extra code to share?

Played two matches last night...didn't really do wonders for me.
But this is a personal opinion. I just go Halo 5 when I want modern and Unreal Tournament (the new UE4 one) when I want classic. This Doom mixup doesn't do much for me, but I will give it some more time this weekend.

ATTENTION ALL PC PLAYERS! YOU *CAN* CHANGE YOUR FOV!

Right-click the game in your Steam Library, go to "Properties", "Set launch Options" and type in "+com_AllowConsole 1" into the box. Once you launch a game, hit "Ctrl+Alt+~" to open the console and type in "g_fov XX "(replace "X" with desired number). Default is "90", but it's in base 16:9, so it's actually closer to 70. Cap is at 120.

FLEABttn

Banned
I can't play. Every time I try to I get the error "Unable to reach dedicated server endpoints. Please check your network connection and try again". Everything else works fine on my network so I don't think it's me.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else stuck at the Connecting state? I wanna play, dammit.

After receiving a code from a generous Gafer :), I played earlier for a couple of hours.

Thanks again DoomQuake.

Took a while to get a game. Quit out a few times before it eventually connected and found a game. After that I was in for a couple of hours without issues, lag or anything.

At first I wasn't feeling it.

I was pretty shit (nowhere near as bad as the leaked guy the other day though lol!) and couldn't work out the map as it all looked the same.

A bit more time getting used to the weapons,
the need to switch to my other weapon, jumping, double jumping, using a teleport, finding ultimate weapons, armour, invisibility, becoming the beast,
working out my hud etc and I started to get into it.

A bit while longer I really started to enjoy it. Its fast enough for me (never played Quake or UT on pc) and I still don't know the map yet either!

Graphics are nice (a few jags only when extremely scrutinised) and I cannot wait for the other maps and the Single Player game, I reckon will look amazing. Its got that old chunky 3D graphics look that the Doom/Quake games always had and this iteration shows it perfectly.

Sound is unbelievable! Just like the older games where Sound was never an afterthought like in a lot of games. Really enjoyed this.

Was 'nervously' looking forward to this before this Alpha and my mind hasn't changed.

I just really hope they do the Single Player justice. I'd love them to knock this out the park but I reckon the Developer will be on a hiding to nothing cos a lot of players just 'won't get it' even if fans of the series love it.

Ultimately this could also affect the success of the multiplayer (ie. number of players) but from this alpha, this looks to be exactly what I expect for Doom, so I hope they can produce a decent multiplayer and have other modes to draw as many folks in as possible.

Btw, the game was hectic as fuck many times but smooth as a baby's bottom!

Hopefully a day 1 for me :)

DirtyLarry

I am unable to find any games on the PS4. It just sits and sits there. Known issue or can i perhaps do something?
I almost found one, it found one player, searched for another minute or so, then ended saying "ALERT The lobby was full."

Ixion

me too. I have a feeling it gives nothing new to the hardcore arena shooter crowd.

iD said they're not really thinking about eSports with DOOM. The crowd looking for that type of game will be disappointed, but I think a lot of people will still dig it since it just feels, looks, and sounds so slick.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am unable to find any games on the PS4. It just sits and sits there. Known issue or can i perhaps do something?
I almost found one, it found one player, searched for another minute or so, then ended saying "ALERT The lobby was full."
Same

Haven't gotten into a game since this round of the alpha started.

DirtyLarry

Same

Haven't gotten into a game since this round of the alpha started.
Thanks for confirming. And same here.
Tried last night and tonight. Same deal.

Just curious, did you happen to get an email from Sony last night saying "Oops, here is your code" even though you were in the first round? I got one even though I was in the first round, I went to redeem the code, and it said it was already used.

So I am wondering if it somehow fucked up for those of us who were in the first round, or if it is fucked up for all.

FYI I put my PS4 in DMZ even though I never have had to in the past, and it still was the same result. Wide open and unable to connect.

Are these connection issues just console player problems? Because I'm on PC and, while I'll sometimes wait for up to 45 seconds to connect to a game, I always find a connection.

Double damage messes things up. Also, Nome of the guns seem to compare with the Super Shotgun. Perhaps because its a small teisty map, but won't they all be?

Double damage messes things up. Also, Nome of the guns seem to compare with the Super Shotgun. Perhaps because its a small teisty map, but won't they all be?

Don't really think that. All of the weapons seem to be designed to be able to kill your opponent with full health and a full damage strike on them in about 2 and a half seconds (SIGNIFICANTLY longer than Call of Duty where the TTK is about 700 MILLISECONDS). The main reason why the shotgun is often used is because the game encourages getting up close and the supper shotty is very good at that.

RowdyReverb

How do you initiate a Glory Kill? Every time it seems to be accidental.
Also, it is hard to go back to Fallout 4's pace after a few matches.

M_to_P

EU ps4 here, also getting stuck in the "connecting" part. Haven't been able to play since the beginning of the alpha so this sucks...

Jito

Banned

How do you mean messes things up? Had no issues taking down players with quad damage. I've also had no issues wrecking shop using the charge rifle. Each weapon seems good in there own regards.

Caffeine

wish i read the requirements just was too excited have a 750ti and only getting 3-6fps oh well hopefully they optimize for it in the beta.

Bedlam

EU ps4 here, also getting stuck in the "connecting" part. Haven't been able to play since the beginning of the alpha so this sucks...
Same here.

I'm gonna delete this now and will consider a purchase if the SP is any good. Definitely won't be buying this for the MP after the couple of matches that I managed to play.

Jito

Banned
Same here.

I'm gonna delete this now and will consider a purchase if the SP is any good. Definitely won't be buying this for the MP after the couple of matches that I managed to play.

You guys do realise it's an alpha right? The whole idea of it is to test the systems, connections and what not. It's expected that there will be some issues and you might not find a game within a reasonable time, because it's not a finished product you paid money for, it's a free alpha.

Bedlam

You guys do realise it's an alpha right? The whole idea of it is to test the systems, connections and what not. It's expected that there will be some issues and you might not find a game within a reasonable time, because it's not a finished product you paid money for, it's a free alpha.
I meant that I based my judgement of the MP on the MP matches that I played when the Alpha started. It was okay but it didn't grab me. The network problems have nothing to do with my statement.

Jito

Banned
I meant that I based my judgement of the MP on the MP matches that I played when the Alpha started. It was okay but it didn't grab me. The network problems have nothing to do with my statement.

Ah right fair do's then, shame you didn't enjoy it.

I'm glad we're finally getting a return of arena shooters, feels good to have to work for a kill again.

Ixion

I really love how all the environments and items in this game have a smooth and rounded look. It's very easy on the eyes.

Combine that with the color scheme that contrasts dark colors with bright neon colors, and you have something really cool to look at.

phant0m

Looks good, feels good. Oddly, all 3 games I played were blowouts (winning team by more than 40). Wonder why.

Top Bottom