• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next DOOM closed alpha test will be from Dec 3 to Dec 6. Invites going out.

Got a Steam code and played about 10 games.

Best i managed was about second last.

It's hard to believe that i was actually good at this type of game once up on a time.

i just played a match on ps4. the trick is this:

join the game, and it'll saying waiting or whatever.... at some point "ready up" will highlight so you can select it. select it and press X. even though you don't see anyone else on the right joining up, it'll put you into a game

MrDanGuy

I don't know how I feel about the game play. Everything is relatively smooth, but it feels like something is missing.

My GPU is outdated, and this game shows it to me. I can only play at 60 FPS at 720p with AA disabled.

Damn, no settings options either. Bummer.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
This game is awesome. Fast paced, and you can take multiple hits from enemy fire before going down.

Quikies83

Loving it on Xbox one. I've missed arena shooters.
Hope they make it a bit faster though by final release.
Made me think of the good old days when playing quake arena on Dreamcast with the keyboard in my lap.

Haines

Banned
How do I get into a match?

On ps4 it says searching...and than waiting for 3 players..and you can ready up...

Than back to connecting...

I really look forward to this. So much fun. It's a great time being able to play the Street Fighter V, DOOM and Uncharted 4 multiplayer tests.
I love switching between shotgun/rocket launcher mid-battle.

If you're not finding anything, exit and try again. If you want, you can even close the application entirely and restart it. Eventually you'll find a match

The convenient thing is that the music changes when the match is about to start, so you can leave it on and do other shit and you'll know

Haines

Banned
Yeah restarted console and no issue now

Game is fine and I guess I can't criticize it BC its alpha

But there sure isn't much game here

Haines

Banned
I love that it's old school but it feels like I'm playing an hd version of a 90s game

I need more than that in 2015

Maybe the beta will show off the product in more flashier and exciting way

Very impressed with what I've played so far. Game is buttery smooth and runs without a hitch for me on PC. Feels like a modernized Quake, right down to the quad damage sound effects. Movement speed feels way too slow to me though, and it feels weird not having a sprint button. FoV feels pretty narrow on PC and I hope they add a slider in the full game. Will likely preorder.

I got a notification from PlayStation saying I was picked to participate. I hit x and it brings me to the store page but I can't download the client.

I got a notification from PlayStation saying I was picked to participate. I hit x and it brings me to the store page but I can't download the client.

Check your notifications again. I had the same problem. Got a message today saying "oops, we forgot the game code". Clicked X and it downloaded.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I was going to come in here and moan about not having a key, but now I realise this is the alpha and the Wolfenstein bonus is for the beta. So, cool.

dab0ne

To all the people on ps4 who can't find it in their library:

I got online and chatted with someone from Sony help and told them the problem. They told me to talk to BETHESDA so I did. I sent bbethesda an email saying I was invited to the alpha but never got a code. Both companies said they couldn't help me but wwhen I turned on my ps4 I got a message titled "oops" with the beta attached to it. Not ssure if it was Sony or Bethesda but one of them sent my code. Try contacting both and hopefully you'll get in. The game will be called "main menu" for some reason.

MiguelItUp

I'm liking it but the low FOV really is a turn-down...

I'm beyond sure that will change in due time. If not legitimately via the options / controls menu then possibly via the console.

I'm glad to see so many of you feel the same way about it that I did / do. I had a huge sigh of relief to be honest, haha. I just really look forward to seeing more and more, and to be honest I'm wondering when that will be. Sure, I'm just being a tad impatient, but if the game is still aiming to drop in spring of 2016 I'd assume we'll see more new footage within a month or two. Maybe even hear about the beta or have hands on it? I'm just hoping it doesn't get pushed, I want it ASAP.

Ricker

To all the people on ps4 who can't find it in their library:

I got online and chatted with someone from Sony help and told them the problem. They told me to talk to BETHESDA so I did. I sent bbethesda an email saying I was invited to the alpha but never got a code. Both companies said they couldn't help me but wwhen I turned on my ps4 I got a message titled "oops" with the beta attached to it. Not ssure if it was Sony or Bethesda but one of them sent my code. Try contacting both and hopefully you'll get in. The game will be called "main menu" for some reason.

No need to do all that on PS4 though...did none of this and also got the '''ooops" message from PSN.

Nice of them to let more people experience bland gameplay from the 90's. It actually feels like it does when you're a spectator waiting to get back into a match, and you're whizzing the camera about. Except in Doom's case it's the actual gameplay.

Nice of them to let more people experience bland gameplay from the 90's. It actually feels like it does when you're a spectator waiting to get back into a match, and you're whizzing the camera about. Except in Doom's case it's the actual gameplay.
Nah. It takes the positive aspects of an arena shooter and melds it with modern gameplay. Totally works. And I love it.

Didn't even realise there was a new Alpha, can't wait to play.

I'm surprised at how much I like this, tight controls, satisfying weapons, looks good, demon mechanic is fun and feels (fairly) balanced on the timer.

I.....I kinda love it.

Nah. It takes the positive aspects of an arena shooter and melds it with modern gameplay. Totally works. And I love it.

Didn't even realise there was a new Alpha, can't wait to play.

It just feels so so old to me, but the Uncharted 4 beta I can get behind. Feels great to control and gunplay is satisfying, also looks great too, whereas Doom doesn't really look that amazing, which doesn't help.

JNT

The gameplay is pretty neat, but I really, really dislike the lack of damage response. I'm not even aware I'm taking damage half the time.

doomquake

It just feels so so old to me, but the Uncharted 4 beta I can get behind. Feels great to control and gunplay is satisfying, also looks great too, whereas Doom doesn't really look that amazing, which doesn't help.

me too. I have a feeling it gives nothing new to the hardcore arena shooter crowd. Of course it is early and there is potential for it to gain traction (main some of that corporate Bethesda magic dust)..but me personally..blegh. I hope the single player is fun..I hope there are tons of game modes...I HOPE THERES A FUCKING CONSOLE SO I CAN ADJUST WHATEVER I WANT..shit. I pretty much give up with idsoft, but I still have hope since I was a diehard Fallout 1 and 2 fan and F4 is fantastic to me. If Beth and id save doom, that would make me super happy.

Top Bottom