• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Direct 01.08.13 (U.S.-6AM EST, EUR-12PM CET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWO!

Victini_is_cute.png
Victini will guide us to the next generation of Pokémon!

Diffense

They're not going to change the starter triangle because the current one is easy to understand and corresponds with most people's intuitions.

burst

Would a pokemon MMO sell systems in western countries? does it have the sway with the younger generations like it did in the 90s.

Boney

Banned
Blaziken really got brutal in Gen V. High Jump Kick was boosted to 130 power and it gained the move then it picked up Speed Boost as an ability. It's easily the scariest starter of all time now. Don't mess with the Fire Chicken.
Too bad it's a stupid fire chicken

zulux21

Would a pokemon MMO sell systems in western countries? does it have the sway with the younger generations like it did in the 90s.

personally I think if you were going to aim for western markets to move a lot of product you would rip off skylanders and make a pokemon version and get in on that.
maybe 50 pokemon for the first game, with 5 new ones released each month and then another 25-50 with the second game the next year and so on :p

gotta catch them (and store them) all lol.

a pokemon mmo is likely to much investment and potentially harmful to future rpg pokemon sales, meanwhile a skylanders like pokemon worst case can just be treated as something like pokemon rumble (which honestly would be a basis for a skylanders knockoff :p)

They're not going to change the starter triangle because the current one is easy to understand and corresponds with most people's intuitions.

This and at the end of the day each generation is made for newcomers more so than vets. So the "it's been done already and people get type advantages" argument doesn't hold well and no other triangle is as clear cut .

Would stay up for this but I have been awake for over 24 hours :}

lol, funny how hard it is to type when you're this tired.

See yall in 6+ hours!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd really like a new starter triangle. I dunno what types, but I like the idea.

And on a mostly unrelated note, I want HMs gone. Or make them character abilities, not Pokemon abilities. I hate wasting a slot or two on my team to HM mules. So pointless.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Normal isn't even good against ANYTHING

Normal is well rounded because it may not have a super-effective, normal types tend to only have one weakness (Fighting), and are flexible in that they can generally learn many types.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd really like a new starter triangle. I dunno what types, but I like the idea.

And on a mostly unrelated note, I want HMs gone. Or make them character abilities, not Pokemon abilities. I hate wasting a slot or two on my team to HM mules. So pointless.

With the way BW2 handled exploration, HMs seem to be heading more to the optional route.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
With the way BW2 handled exploration, HMs seem to be heading more to the optional route.
Whoa, really? How was it different? Damn, I need to get B/W2 soon so I don't play it right before Gen VI and get burnt out.

Rubius

A trio of complementary pokemons could be cool. Like they start as
Fire Water Grass
and transform with the 3rd evolution as
Fire/Grass, Water/Fire, Grass/Water
Could be cool to see that happen.

Mush

Normal is well rounded because it may not have a super-effective, normal types tend to only have one weakness (Fighting), and are flexible in that they can generally learn many types.
I was referring to the possibility of Normal being part of a new starter pyramid. It ruins the whole thing of one being effective/ineffective against the others, since it can't hit for Super Effective damage.

Tsunamo

So why are there two classification logos on the Nintendo Direct site now? (Australian).

Two games then?
One's probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. We haven't had an official announcement for it in PAL regions yet (I think) and it would explain why it already has a classifcation rating.

Poison is not good against Flying or Dragon
So nope.

And Dragon is only good against Dragon and can protect himself from too much stuff.
I picked those three types because they aren't effective or noneffective against each other. I want a starter trio that doesn't rely on weaknesses to add pressure to early bouts. (Also, I just want some weird starters.)

Poyunch

Ghosts can't hit Normal Pokemon with their attacks at all.

Got into a battle where it was between my Gengar and someone's Blissey. It was a bitch because neither of us had any attacks that could hit each other (I ran out of pp for my Focus Blast after missing all but once). The battle lasted 30+ turns before I forfeited.

The only other triangles I can think of are

Fighting > Ice > Flying

Fighting > Rock > Flying

Fighting > Dark > Psychic

Ground > Fire > Ice

Steel > Ice > Ground

Bug > Grass > Rock

What else

EDIT

Electric > Water > Ground

Poison > Grass > Ground

Status