• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, Drive Club is the worst looking Sony exclusive.

damaph

How interesting.
gT2O9uG.png

PS: Is all you ever do complain about graphics? Serious question.

I'm getting the exact same error. Can someone post a mirror?

What I don't get is why Sony is creating another racing series when they have the Grand Turismo series.

What is it about Drive Club that sets it apart from the Grand Turismo series?

Some kind of social aspect. At least that what they kept repeating over and over and over.

It looks like a current gen game.

GorillaJu

If the game on the show floor is 35% complete it may be slightly closer to completion in reality, just it's using older code.

nib95

Banned
Would be ironic if GT6 is the most polished and content packed racing game this year.
Btw I think the graphics are great and the lighting really natural but I was disappointed by the car phisics and lack of damage. It looks like a generic racing game.
Still I'll get it through Plus, so I'll still try it.

It will be. I'm highly confident on that. GT6 will be the racer to buy.

Steroyd

Turn 10 is a developer with years of experience making racing games. It's a bit unfair to compare the games imho. I really like the lighting in Driveclub but I am not sold on the concept at all.

Not sure if serious.

Evolution did the WRC games on the PS2 if I remember right.

Forsete

Gold Member
Remember Motorstorm and how quickly that got upgraded?

Not worried.

Evolution of motorstorm:

GDC 2006 build 00:00 - 01:13
E3 2006 build 01:13 - 01:57
TGS 2006 build 01:57 - 03:12
Gamers Day 2006 build 03:12

https://vimeo.com/987411

What else are we to go on from E3 videos? I'll talk about gameplay when I have it in my hands.

Just saying that's all I ever see from you.

EDIT: I might actually be mistaking you for someone else..not sure. Same avatar I saw in the Pikmin 3 thread and various other threads.

Sethos

Banned
What I don't get is why Sony is creating another racing series when they have the Grand Turismo series.

One is a highly acclaimed driving simulator, the other is a light-hearted arcade game.

There's room for both.

Gestault

"Approachable and broad" appeal vs a more "clinical, simulation-style" appeal. I can dig it.

Also, it's "Gran Turismo." Normally I wouldn't bother with a correction, but the series has been around for a couple of year.

madmackem

Bad framerate, pop in everywhere, foliage looks like ass, very unpolished looking:

High quality vid from showfloor:

http://gamersyde.com/news_e3_two_videos_of_driveclub-14226_en.html

Cockpit View

External View

Very disappointing, and now the whole "it's free with PSN" is starting to make sense. So far I'd definitely would give the edge to Forza.

The screenshots released a while back are not indicative of what the game actually plays like. Infamous/Killzone poop all over this.

It looks fine, the time of day and the shit quality of the video isnt helping at all. I watched the off screen forza 5 video on gt and you couldve told me it was forza 4 and i wouldve believed you. You cant read anything into shitty cam videos and certainly one of this quality with the time of day lighting as it is.

Meelow

Banned

They went FPS crazy at the start of last gen, so I guess they will go racer crazy this gen?

Also I think the main reason why Drive Club is even in development is because they know they wouldn't be able to release a PS4 version of GT6 at launch.

Turn 10 is a developer with years of experience making racing games. It's a bit unfair to compare the games imho. I really like the lighting in Driveclub but I am not sold on the concept at all.

You do realise that Evolution has been making racing games since 2001, and Turn 10 since 2005.

Amir0x

Banned
This game is a launch game, so I'm used to this sort of thing from launch titles. Almost always inferior to games that don't have to be rushed to market. That said, it still looks very good for how early it is, and it's the gameplay that is making me salivate.

The racing team focus with your friends, it's not a racing sim, has an entirely different focus altogether really.

Not all racing games are the same. Shit, even games WITHIN the racing sim genre can be wildly different from one another (see Forza vs. GT vs. Project Cars).

Ding-Ding

Not that concerned as I remember playing the pacific rift demo.

It really did change alot from just the demo to final release.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This game must look much worse in person or something, because I really like how it looks in those two videos. I really like the lighting for example (I like it better in that sense than NFS which looks harsh or F5 where everything is probably prebaked), but I'm not happy with how much aliasing there is. Quite a few people who played it at the show complained about visuals though.

SRTtoZ

Am I crazy for thinking that you cant judge the game based on some awful resolution, too dark shitty pre-alpha footage of the game?

I was under the impression the game is getting a full paid disc release. During the conference they said Drive Club "PS+ edition" will be free to plus members. That sounds like a gimped/different version is coming to plus members and the full thing will be available elsewhere for sale.

I may have misunderstood this but that was what I gathered from the announcement. Has anything otherwise been confirmed?

gogogow

Just watched the videos linked in the OP, looks fine from what I can see. But I have zero interest in the game. I'll probably be playing GT6 by then.

~~Hasan~~

well.. that team also have more than 6 years of experience with motor storm. and that game has a lot of effects in it.

i am not saying one system is better than the other. its just really disappointing.

here is a hope because it is early in development and somehow it will look better in time

SRTtoZ

I was under the impression the game is getting a full paid disc release. During the conference they said Drive Club "PS+ edition" will be free to plus members. That sounds like a gimped/different version is coming to plus members and the full thing will be available elsewhere for sale.

I may have misunderstood this but that was what I gathered from the announcement. Has anything otherwise been confirmed?

The game has a full version that will be released at launch. You can however get a gimped version of the game for free when signing up for PS+.

Sony's first party devs are notorious for giving their games major performance and graphical updates when they do their final pass.

GT6 looks better than Forza 5 and DriveClub.

Hell no. It may look more consistent or polished in some areas than either of the two, but that's only because it's an update of a game long in the making on a mature platform. It can't hold a candle to either of those games graphically. That's just nonsense. Go watch a good video of either of them. I suggest Gamersyde's videos. The difference with GT6 is dramatic.

Granted, GT6 will be the more complete and consistent package, but that's to be expected given the development time and platform.

BigDug13

It strikes me as a game that is coming out just so there is a racing game at launch. Basically the Ridge Racer of this gen, but this one is going for a different angle.

Well the free version of DriveClub on PS+ will probably have more tracks than a $60 version of Ridge Racer anyway, so not sure that's accurate.

Duxxy3

Would be ironic if GT6 is the most polished and content packed racing game this year.
Btw I think the graphics are great and the lighting really natural but I was disappointed by the car phisics and lack of damage. It looks like a generic racing game.
Still I'll get it through Plus, so I'll still try it.

At this point I can guarantee that GT6 will be the best driving game of the year.

kodt

Banned
I agree with you 2 years after launch it will be seen as a shitty launch racing game. I'm not buying into the hype. GT6 on PS3 will be much better.

badb0y

Forza 5 = Racing sim
Gran Turismo 6 = Racing sim
Driveclub = arcade racing

The game you guys are looking for is GT7 which is probably half a decade out lol.

velociraptor

I think Drive Club doesn't look too bad - it has fully dynamic lighting. Which means 24 hour weather cycles on every single track. I'll reserve judgement for a direct feed video. After all, Titanfall looked fucking horrendous until I saw the 60FPS 1080p Gamersyde video.

SiRatul

I don't know how you guys can make out so much from non direct feed videos. Looks quite nice to me but I can't make out enough details to say how big the difference between GT6, Forza 5 and this is.

leadbelly

Banned
GT6 looks better than Forza 5 and DriveClub.

GT always looks good in trailers and replays. They can't really get the game to look like that without cheating in a number of areas. That being said, Polyphony Digital are true masters of their trade. I imagine the next-gen version of GT will blow our minds.

From a purely technical standpoint, Forza will probably be quite a step up.

Same here. Can't really say one way or the other honestly. Based on these videos, it looks perfectly fine to me. Not sure where all this scepticism is coming from.

I have listened to people who played it hands on. Verdict: The game in current build is "ass" and not any better than a PS3 game. It may not even be a good PS3 game such as it stands.

I´ve only seen the vids and have no idea personally but trust the guys who tried it. They were also not particularly impressed with Knack.

Top Bottom