• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, Drive Club is the worst looking Sony exclusive.

bryehn

i am not sure what to say. its the only game comparing to Forza.. and on a system that should be more powerful. makes me wonder where is all that extra power ?

Forza is apparently cutting features and may launch with a smaller car roster because of needing to make it for launch. I'm still not quite sure what to make of this and with NFS, The Crew and Forza all coming soon I just may skip Drive Club outside of the PS+ version.

Arklite

Those videos are crap, I don't have an eye for telling bad textures from bad video. I'm not going to be surprised if this game ends up "launch game tier," especially with the free offer, but some better footage is needed.

Bad framerate, pop in everywhere, foliage looks like ass, very unpolished looking:

High quality vid from showfloor:

http://gamersyde.com/news_e3_two_videos_of_driveclub-14226_en.html

Cockpit View

External View

Very disappointing, and now the whole "it's free with PSN" is starting to make sense. So far I'd definitely would give the edge to Forza.

The screenshots released a while back are not indicative of what the game actually plays like. Infamous/Killzone poop all over this.
Not sure how you can accurately judge the graphics over these videos...

They are giving it away for free. They probably don't have much motivation to polish the game.

This post gave me straight up aids covered cancer.

sneaky77

i am not sure what to say. its the only game comparing to Forza.. and on a system that should be more powerful. makes me wonder where is all that extra power ?

You do understand that just because a system may be more powerful.. that launch titles are still launch titles and that extra power may not be noticeable from the first day?

Forza 5 looks awesome.. I don't think Driveclub looks bad at all tbh..

madmackem

Watch either of these videos, especially the first one. If you still can't tell the difference go get your eyes checked:

http://gamersyde.com/news_e3_forza_5_60_fps_gameplay-14190_en.html

http://gamersyde.com/news_e3_forza_5_wheel_gameplay-14227_en.html

If you read what i was replying to i was saying these off cam videos shouldnt be held up as some proof of how good a game looks as i really couldnt see the difference in the gt off cam video to forza 4. Off camera vids dont show shit.

Bad framerate, pop in everywhere, foliage looks like ass, very unpolished looking:

Very disappointing, and now the whole "it's free with PSN" is starting to make sense. So far I'd definitely would give the edge to Forza.

The screenshots released a while back are not indicative of what the game actually plays like. Infamous/Killzone poop all over this.

only looks fantastic to me?

do not forget that it is always a video off-screen and an early version of the game

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Peoples jobs and all that, but Sony closed the wrong UK studio.

No Wipeout for PS4 launch feels weird. This being wobbled about while GT6 is coming out at the same time makes it feel even weirder.

Ah, THAT was the game I was missing.

Wipeout PS4 would've probably sold me on the system day 1. Wipeout HD made me buy the PS3 after all. This...yeah. Doesn't look bad by any means, but it's on my "To get cheap when the usual UK bomba pirce hits" list.

Vire

Hopefully Sony will release a 1080p direct feed gameplay video like they did with Infamous.

May shed it in a better light. But the fact that they aren't providing it, is worrisome.

Gold_Loot

I think the game looks pretty damned good. I wish we could get some direct feed gameplay though.

We should also note that Evolution is known for pouring a TON of polish into their games the last 6 months of development..

Famassu

I doubt the finished will look any different. Gt 6 blows it out of the water.
What are you on? You don't think the finished product will look any different? This is the same developer who did those absolutely mindblowing events in Motorstorm Apocalypse. This is just an unfinished build, they'll surely use the rest of the time to polish it all up. I'd imagine the game is already content-complete so they just need to spruce it up.

Besides, have people forgotten the first Motorstorm? That looked horrible when it was revealed, yet during the months leading up to its release, the graphics improved a lot.

Afrikan

Remember Motorstorm and how quickly that got upgraded?

Not worried.

Evolution of motorstorm:

GDC 2006 build 00:00 - 01:13
E3 2006 build 01:13 - 01:57
TGS 2006 build 01:57 - 03:12
Gamers Day 2006 build 03:12

https://vimeo.com/987411

^
This

and the same was said about Motorstorm Pacific Rift before release...heck the demo that was released looked bad compared to the released game that was on store shelves. They had to re-release the demo.

Laranja

I can't really watch the videos in the OP, at the moment, but during the conference live stream I thought the game looked really impressive! It was really hard for me to tell if it was real or in-game footage.

Watching a proper-quality video, it's not nearly as impressive, but I thought it looked pretty great.

Forza is apparently cutting features and may launch with a smaller car roster because of needing to make it for launch. I'm still not quite sure what to make of this and with NFS, The Crew and Forza all coming soon I just may skip Drive Club outside of the PS+ version.

Arguably, they can never cut features that were never implemented to begin with. :p

Seriously, Forza 5 and Drive Club will both suffer from launch game syndrome. With Forza, you could say it's a double-edged sword. They will only include ForzaVista-ready cars, meaning the most detailed ones, which is a plus, but they're cutting many cars that would have been perfectly usable save for that mode. Let's hope they give us good news when it comes to track reveals.

Actually, this gameplay looks way better than what was shown in the replay video. The huge difference here is that all lighting is dynamic, nothing prebaked. That city track in Forza is all pre-baked. It looks great, mind you, but it is similar to GT4's Citta d'Aria track in that respect (one of my artistically all time favorite looking tracks, also fun to drive).

But DriveClub has fully dynamic lighting, and that lighting, especially with the sun coming up (or going down) there in that first stream, looks mighty fine.

I'm not really sure why those videos are bad. Looks amazing to me.

Motorstorm was my favorite racing series last gen so my hype for this game may have me in blinders...?

Wasn't even hyped by it. The Crew looks much better.

The Crew doesn't look like much fun to me. "Chase this guy, make your Camaro a monster truck." Meh. Driveclub doesn't look impressive either, but I have hope. Motorstorm 1 and 2 were a lot of fun.

How I'd rate the E3 car-orgy: GT6=Forza>Driveclub=The Crew

Cyberia

And they are a 400 strong studio. Baffling.

Hands-on preview:

And while it's difficult to comment on the game's performance given its state in development (Evolution claims that the build on show is only 35% complete), it's perhaps worth noting that - at the moment, at least - DriveClub doesn't look quite how it does in the trailer. The pre-alpha build on display at E3 is quite rough around the edges, running at 30FPS with fairly flat, low-res environmental textures and underwhelming lighting.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/features/article/e3_2013_driveclub_hands-on.html

Wat?

~~Hasan~~

i am in the same place. but i am not buying forza. i hate sim racing games. and i am not buying xbox one either. so my choices are easy. but yeah i think i will have it on PS+ only as well
You do understand that just because a system may be more powerful.. that launch titles are still launch titles and that extra power may not be noticeable from the first day?

Forza 5 looks awesome.. I don't think Drive club looks bad at all tbh..

drive club doesn't look bad. and they have time to polish it i think. but its not as clean or smooth as Forza. and yeah i know it is a launch title. but so is Forza.

jett

D-Member
Huh, watched the external view and it looks good to me. It's only(but major) blight is that it's 30fps.

Was pretty clear that they'd downgraded it heavily when it was shown in Sony's press conference. I can only imagine that they're having problems with the development.

(Target render videos are a risky, risky thing)

pelican

There hasn't been direct feed yet has there? I'd wait for that at least

That is what I'm thinking. I'm not a fan of judging a game from E3 especially using a camera screen grab.

Lets wait until nearer launch and either praise or condemn.

Realy? These videos are off screen and bad quality. I have low expectation for this game and if I was a betting man I would put my money on forza being better game, but please you can't see much of anything in these videos and what I can see doesn't even look bad.

I hate Forza's artistic direction with the cartoony lighting, but outside of that, it is a beautiful game to watch in motion. At this point, I would say it looks better overall than DriveClub.

That being said, we're comparing very early builds of both these games. I'm sure #DC will look better at launch.

I bought Motorstorm Apocalypse last friday and boy i was blown away by the particle effects, weather effects, visual fidelity and lighting. Driving across a raging tornado, jumping from one crumbling building to another, seeing a guy overtaking you only to find him taken down by a earthquake giving you the lead is all a sight to behold. I have owned and played the previous Motorstorm games and all i can say is Evolution has tremendous amount of talent. If you folks have missed out on Apocalypse, please give it a try and you won't be disappointed. As for DriveClub, these low quality videos ain't doing any justice, wish Sony released a Driveclub developer flawless playthrough just like the Infamous Second Son gameplay video. I am highly confident that DriveClub will deliver every single promise that Matt Southern made at the Feb20th PS4 reveal from breathtaking visual fidelity to immersive team based racing.

Top Bottom